search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > République Démocratique du Congo > Projects and Construction

Projects and Construction Developments in the DRC

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Matthias Offodile

Likes (Received): 14946

KINSHASA | Urban Regeneration | $500million | Under Construction (2010)

I was surprised to read this But it is a positive sign of investor confindence into "Africa´s own continent" on the continent.

Quote:
Kinshasa, un nouveau Dubaï ?

Les Emirats arabes unis ont signé jeudi à Kinshasa avec le gouvernement de la République démocratique du Congo (RDC) un protocole d'accord d'un montant de 500 millions de dollars pour "la rénovation et la modernisation" de la capitale congolaise. "Ce projet concerne la construction à Kinshasa d'un hôtel de 300 chambres, de quatre immeubles avec appartements et d'un centre commercial", a déclaré le ministre congolais des Travaux publics, Pierre Lumbi, lors de la signature de cet accord.
La partie émiratie était représentée par Khater Massaad, président du groupe Rakeen, un des plus grands promoteurs immobiliers dans les Emirats arabes unis.

La ville de Kinshasa - une mégalopole de plus de six millions d'habitants - connaît un déficit d'établissements hôteliers. La plupart des immeubles publics, héritage de la colonisation belge, sont dans un état de délabrement avancé.

Le projet va s'étendre dans d'autres villes du pays principalement dans les régions affectées par des années de guerre (1996-1997 et 1998-2003) et où les infrastructures ont été détruites.

"Nos villes ont besoin d'être modernisées", a souligné le ministre congolais.

De son côté, le président du groupe Rakeen s'est engagé à entreprendre le début de ces travaux dans six mois, indiquant que le projet à réaliser est "extrêmement important et marque le début d'une série d'autres projets dans divers domaines".

Selon M. Massaad, "la RDC est un grand pays au développement duquel les Etats arabes unis veulent participer".

Publié le 19 juillet 2007

Quote:
Urban development: UAE's Rakeen Signs Deal To Invest $500Million In Congo

Thu Jul 19, 3:00 PM ET

KINSHASA (AFP) - The United Arab Emirates agreed on Thursday to invest 500 million dollars (362 million euros) in a project to renovate and modernise housing in Kinshasa.

"This project concerns the construction in Kinshasa of one hotel with 300 rooms, four apartment buildings and a modern shopping centre," said Democratic Republic of Congo's public works minister, Pierre Lumbi.

He was speaking at a signing ceremony in Kinshasa with Khater Massaad, who heads Rakeen, one of the UAE's largest property developers.

The DR Congo capital, a megalopolis counting more than six million inhabitants, has long faced a hotel shortage, and most of its public housing dates back to the Belgian colonial era and lies largely in ruin.

The deal will also be extended to other DR Congo cities in the regions most hard-hit by the years of war and conflict, from 1996 to 1997 and from 1998 to 2003, when most of the country's infrastructure was destroyed.

"Our cities need to be modernised," Lumbi said.

Massaad meanwhile pledged to break ground at the Kinshasa sites within six months, stating that the project was "extremely important and marks the beginning of a series of other projects in a number of areas."

"The DRC is one of the large countries whose development the United Arab Emirates wants to participate in," he said.
Matthias Offodile no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 23rd, 2007, 08:48 PM   #2
kulani

Likes (Received): 26

This is great news, it marks the beginning of the re-awakening of the DRC, one of Africa's sleeping giants. I hope more investors will follow and the DRC government will ensure that a conducive and favorable investment environment is maintained (aka political stability, transparency and the rule of law).
kulani no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM   #3
Matthias Offodile

Here I have got the renders thanks to a personal blog...I have been searching for it a while every now and then, finally, I have got it!

only hotel and conference centre, I would like to see how the shopping mall will look like and the four appartment buildings. Well, at least we have got a partial clue here.

Rakeen Group Renders

PS: The tower is amaaaazing, it is chrome and glass, just the way I like it. A big up for Kinshasa
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM   #4
Mister79

Likes (Received): 2762

One negative thing about the UAE investors is that they come with big investment projects and later the cancell them. This happend recently in North Africa, Turkey etc...
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM   #5
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
One negative thing about the UAE investors is that they come with big investment projects and later the cancell them. This happend recently in North Africa, Turkey etc...
Names, please? Articles?

Well, this one is not too big $500million is not 20bn and all this eye-popping sums. Moreover, it is said: "en partenariat avec le gouvernment de la RDC"
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #6
Mister79

Likes (Received): 2762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
Names, please? Articles?

Well, this one is not too big $500million is not 20bn and all this eye-popping sums. Moreover, it is said: "en partenariat avec le gouvernment de la RDC"
The Dubai Towers in Morocco, Turkey are been cancelled.
And Emaar has cancelled some projects in Algeria. And also in Egypt, Libya where big projects been cancelled.

L’émirati Emaar gèle ses projets en Algérie

http://www.algerie-dz.com/article11828.html
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:23 PM   #7
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
And Emaar has cancelled some projects in Algeria. And also in Egypt, Libya where big projects been cancelled.

Thanks for the link.

But the main problem that drove the Emirati investors to leave Algeria and Egypt was a disastrous land policy...it is said in the artilce.

"elle serait liée aux difficultés rencontrées par Emaar dans l’obtention de terrains pour ses investissements estimés à près de 25 milliards de dollars. C’est le plus gros investisseur que l’Algérie a eu."

How stupid the government must be? This was once in a lifetime opportunity for the country. Shame on them!

As far as the the Kinshasa project is concerned, I don´t think that it´ll be cancelled, the price tag is quite reasonable....and the land for the area has been clarified. The only fear that I have is that the current government has to remain stable.

one Congolese member here promised us to provide us with some pics. So let´s wait and see.
Old December 26th, 2007, 04:24 PM   #8
Matthias Offodile

Quote:

Thanks for the link.

But the main problem that drove the Emirati investors to leave Algeria and Egypt was a disastrous land policy...it is said in the artilce.

"elle serait liée aux difficultés rencontrées par Emaar dans l’obtention de terrains pour ses investissements estimés à près de 25 milliards de dollars. C’est le plus gros investisseur que l’Algérie a eu."

How stupid the government must be? This was once in a lifetime opportunity for the country. Shame on them!

As far as the the Kinshasa project is concerned, I don´t think that it´ll be cancelled, the price tag is quite reasonable....and the land for the area has been allocated. The only fear that I have is that the current government has to remain stable.

one Congolese member here promised us to provide us with some pics. So let´s wait and see.
Old December 26th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #9
thaichitsiga
thaichitsiga

Likes (Received): 1157

africa is going through a real estate revolution, we no longer have to dream of the future its here my brothers
thaichitsiga no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #10
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
africa is going through a real estate revolution, we no longer have to dream of the future its here my brothers
Real Esate revolution is really far fetched, I would say things are beginning to move in the right direction, a real estate revolution/boom has other dimensions

Real Esate boom means hundreds of first world malls u/c throughout Africa with all kind of indoor entertainment.

countless residential estates, millions of social housing for the poor, massive slum clearance

revitalisation of agriculture

and hundreds of glass and steel commercial and residential skyscrapers of at least (!!) 25 floors each in strategically important cities like Lagos, Abuja, Luanda, Nairobi, Abidjan, Cape Town, Durban , Johannesburg, Maputo, Dakar, Kinshasa, Accra.

hundreds first world hospitals allover Africa (like the ones we have seen in Botswana or Gabon).

and eye-popping university complexes like that in Luanda.

multi-lane highways crisscrossing the continent or at least countries.

and high-speed rails linking up Africa or at least interior of countries.

That´s a real revolution

but hopefully this will be Africa in 10-15 years but anyway things are looking in the right direction ...and I am sure that we don´t get all the projects to see that are planned for Africa on the internet as marketing and public relations is still a word that is unheard of in 95% of Africa.
Old December 26th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #11
Mulopwe

Likes (Received): 166

Thanks Matthias..... I have been searching for this pictures myself . The last I heard on this project is that they were clearing land and construction suppose to start in the first quarter next year ... it is schedule to be completed at end of 2009 right before francophonie.

There is also plan to build new terminal at Kinshasa's airport and new highway to downtown with Chinese loans.
Mulopwe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 27th, 2007, 02:01 PM   #12
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
Thanks Matthias..... I have been searching for this pictures myself . The last I heard on this project is that they were clearing land and construction suppose to start in the first quarter next year ... it is schedule to be completed at end of 2009 right before francophonie.

There is also plan to build new terminal at Kinshasa's airport and new highway to downtown with Chinese loans
Thanks, please keep us updated
Old December 27th, 2007, 07:18 PM   #13
Mulopwe

Les travaux de construction de l’autoroute centre ville/Kinshasa-Ndjili évalués à 150 millions $ Usd

Kinshasa, 27/12/2007 / Politique

Les travaux de construction de l’autoroute devant relier le centre ville à l’aéroport de Ndjili, à Kinshasa, sont évalués à 150 millions $ Usd (150.000.000 Usd), apprend-on mercredi du ministère des Infrastructures, Travaux publics et Reconstruction (ITPR). Les experts chinois et congolais, précise le ministère des ITPR, ont déjà procédé au piquetage de la tracée tandis que les travaux de relevé topographique, les études géotechniques ainsi que le plan général d’exécution sont en cours.

Outre cette autoroute, le gouvernement prévoit la construction de deux autres autoroutes de liaison, l’une qui reliera la partie-Est de Kinshasa à celle de l’Ouest, ainsi qu’une autre devant relier le centre-ville à la partie-Est de Kinshasa. La construction de ces autoroutes à Kinshasa rentre dans le cadre de la réalisation des cinq chantiers du Président de la République, Joseph Kabila Kabange et du gouvernement.
Old June 20th, 2008, 10:14 PM   #14
MBA-Congo
BROKEN ARROWS

Likes (Received): 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulopwe View Post

There is also plan to build new terminal at Kinshasa's airport and new highway to downtown with Chinese loans.
what happen to the Grand Luano project in Lubumbashi, Father told me people are starting to build their home near the site by the airport but have not seen anything on the net on the Luano Project itself. Has it been tossed.
MBA-Congo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 06:33 PM   #15
Mulopwe

MBA-Congo

Here it is :

http://www.katanga.cd/scripts/showar...1210342347&r=5
Old June 21st, 2008, 08:39 PM   #16
nemtirev
Free Southern Ossetia

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Offodile View Post
Here I have got the renders thanks to a personal blog...I have been searching for it a while every now and then, finally, I have got it!

only hotel and conference centre, I would like to see how the shopping mall will look like and the four appartment buildings. Well, at least we have got a partial clue here.

Rakeen Group Renders

PS: The tower is amaaaazing, it is chrome and glass, just the way I like it. A big up for Kinshasa
It will be great step for growing of Africa.Nice project
nemtirev no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2008, 09:03 PM   #17
Matthias Offodile

Quote:
It will be great step for growing of Africa.Nice project
Oh please, it gives me hick-ups when people talk of Africa as one monolith.

Africa is a continent and not a country, the most versatile continent on earth.

if Germany builds a shopping mall it is not good for Europe but for Germany, more precise for the region/city where the structure will see the light of day.

This project is not good for Africa (I don´t think that people in Tunisia or Nigeria or Senegal will benefit form it ) but it will be good for Congo , more precise for Kinshasa.
Old June 22nd, 2008, 05:38 PM   #18
MBA-Congo
BROKEN ARROWS

Likes (Received): 54

Mulopwe THank You!!!! Is their any construction or development going on in Kasai's Mbuji Mayi?
MBA-Congo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:14 PM   #19
Mulopwe

Old June 22nd, 2008, 07:19 PM   #20
Mulopwe

The Shopping Mall On Bvld du 30 Juin

The Apartment Complex on Gare Central Kinshasa Gombe.

300 Room Hotel plus Confrence Center Kinshasa Gombe. Near Palaix de la justice, all these projects will be completed by June 30, 2010 which is 50th anniversary of Congo independence. Thanks Mulopwe