search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > London Metro Area

London Metro Area London Calling...

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 83 votes, 5.00 average.
Old December 1st, 2009, 09:54 AM   #301
dom

Likes (Received): 9

I've seen this and all the renders. It's not a bad project but I'd prefer the Shard to sit in splendid isolation to be honest. They look a bit 'spindly.'

Sponsored Links
Old December 1st, 2009, 12:56 PM   #302
Newcastle Guy

Likes (Received): 316

Oh, can you tell us anything else? Any other buildings in the world you would compare them to? Is the tallest still 253m?
Newcastle Guy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM   #303
potto

Likes (Received): 9044

Anything spindly in London is an immensely positive contribution. Its current majority skyline is far too heavy and basic. A sad indicment on 50 years of development.

For this very reason i would be happy to see this sit near the Shard! Im imagining from the original renders that the important West to East views of the Shard would still give it an air of isolation.
potto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 01:33 PM   #304
Noostairz

Likes (Received): 10

re: the shard in isolation argument - highrise bans have already limited london's skyline to a pokey, sprawling mess without the enforcement of another, particularly one designed to suffocate the natural development of a cluster for reasons of "splendid isolation", when no splendid isolation exists to begin with (see: guys).

the shard signals the beginning of a bold new soaring london, not the end of it. to me anyway.
Noostairz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 07:34 PM   #305
randolph

Likes (Received): 1396

I agree with both the above. The Shard wont be isolated, it is next to Guys. Tall slender towers should be encouraged- especially in the east, City, CW, London bridge. What we need less of are stumpy midrise towers that detract from the Victorian skyline and add nothing to the new one. A fear of hieght in our planning has ,perversely, done more harm than good as it has encourged sprawling groundscrapers. The Three Houses scheme is a logical step after the Shard, which introduces both height and quality of design to the skyline. Lets not make the Shard a one off monument to a brief moment of inhibition but a starting point to a new, more bold and ambitious era in Londons development.
Old December 1st, 2009, 10:18 PM   #306
DarJoLe

Likes (Received): 6308

I'm not sure why everyone is saying height with regards to this project, I think it's pretty obvious they've been chopped down to something unsubstantial. These were supposed to be unveiled nearly a year ago. Someone's had a word somewhere behind the scenes.
DarJoLe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2009, 11:56 PM   #307
RMC42Southampton

Likes (Received): 6

So are their any actual renders of this project or is it just that computer 3d thing so far?
Old December 2nd, 2009, 10:44 AM   #308
delores

Likes (Received): 461

I doubt it until that meeting, I'm sure the online architectual press will show something soon.
delores no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 11:41 AM   #309
wawd

Likes (Received): 17

can't wait to see them! ps like the new avatar DarJoLe
Old December 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM   #310
london lad

Likes (Received): 2228

I doubt we will be seeing any new images soon as it sounds like a local PR meeting so doubt they would be releasing images just yet.

They may well have images but its up to our intrepid SSC members to get some pictures on the sly this thursday
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2009, 07:28 PM   #311
ibiza
....ENGAGE

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
I've seen this and all the renders. It's not a bad project but I'd prefer the Shard to sit in splendid isolation to be honest. They look a bit 'spindly.'
Isn't "spindly" what must people rather appreciate about skyscrapers? Rather than fat groundscrapers? Or what made you use that term?
ibiza no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 09:53 PM   #312
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Sadly folks very little to report from the meeting tonight. The guy from Sellar gave a presentation that was more about the local area than the scheme itself and included only one picture showing only a small corner of the scheme to prove that it had been redesigned to reduce the impact when walking north along Bermondsey Street. Not even any massing plans!

Most questions were evaded although he answer my question about whether the old warehouse on the site was to be demolished, to which the answer sadly and unsurprisingly was yes. The designs are to be finalised for full consultation by the end of the year and he is due to present again in the next BSAP meeting in the new year.

Only news to report is that the scheme has been rebadged as 3 Spires rather than 3 Houses and the original plans to demolish and rebuild the school on Snowsfield and the ridiculous plans for a Lido in Leathermarket Gardens have been scrapped due to lack of public support.

However it was great to catch up with Stefan and also get a free glass of mulled wine from The Hide
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:00 PM   #313
.Adam

Likes (Received): 777

He didn't seem to confident, to try and convince the people in that room I think they are going to need someone a little more convincing!

The render was a little vague, but for once the amended changes to reduce the bulk on Bermondsey Street have improved the design from Ground level at least.

I was interested to see the plan for the green spaces around London Bridge to be linked to create a 'green walk'.
.Adam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:01 PM   #314
.Adam

Also completley agree about the Warehouse, I think you will have a lot of support in defending its demolision, and as that lady pointed out it summarises the entire feel of the area, and should absolutley be encorporated into the design.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM   #315
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Adam View Post
He didn't seem to confident, to try and convince the people in that room I think they are going to need someone a little more convincing!
Indeed, he had the unfortunate combination of not coming across very confidently and also being very defensive!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello, was going to chat to you when we left but you'd got into the lift by the time I got out of the room.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:17 PM   #316
beleevme
DJZoneOne

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibiza View Post
Isn't "spindly" what must people rather appreciate about skyscrapers? Rather than fat groundscrapers? Or what made you use that term?
I think what dom meant was that the model showed them to look like spindles. I have some in my house and I see where he's getting at
beleevme no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2009, 10:53 PM   #317
.Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
Indeed, he had the unfortunate combination of not coming across very confidently and also being very defensive!

Sorry I didn't get a chance to say hello, was going to chat to you when we left but you'd got into the lift by the time I got out of the room.
Absolutley! Especially with the guy who kept commenting to wind him up, Am looking forward to going back in January to see the final proposal etc,

My apologies also for not waiting around.. and the Mulled Wine was very nice!

Last edited by .Adam; December 3rd, 2009 at 11:24 PM.
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:02 AM   #318
lyonsdown 2.0

Likes (Received): 25

I don't see how it would be too difficult to alter the designs to accommodate the warehouse, especially as it's going to be the smallest of the towers. Maybe a slight increase in height or an increase in width.
lyonsdown 2.0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:54 AM   #319
london lad

Likes (Received): 2228

Thanks for the updates boys.

Sounds like Sellar is trying to do a damage mitigation exercise about the fears on the Bermondsey Street conservation area by releasing snippets on the effects at ground level. Would that be the impression you got? Doesn't sound like there PR is up to much lol.

Wouldn't be surprised if they submit in the quiet time before xmas and have a public consultation in early Jan as Smogie mentioned. I'm guessing they have spent the last year ironing out the objections with those in the GLA, Southwark & EH and are now ready to submit an application so its PR time with the local community.
london lad no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #320
.Adam

That is absolutley what they are doing London Lad!

Sellar seemed very keen to keep engaging with the local residents to ensure that the planning process was as smooth as possible, which makes financial sense for them of course.

There will be a meeting in January to overview the plans with the local resident groups, this will also be an oppurtunity to discuss the final use of the 'community space' within the three spires.

Tags
london, southwark

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: