daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Liverpool Metro Area

Liverpool Metro Area 'Scouse Scrapers for both sides of the Mersey

Old July 29th, 2005, 12:31 AM   #1
scouserdave
BANNED

Location: Liverpool 6, Halewood, Cantril Farm, Luton ferfuxake!
Likes (Received): 0

On Telly Now

A Digital Picture of Britain. BBC2. On now

Look out for Liverpool.
scouserdave no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 29th, 2005, 02:06 AM   #2
kids

Likes (Received): 172

that was a good show, shame that pretty street in salford is being demolished though.
Old July 31st, 2005, 10:41 PM   #3
scouserdave
BANNED

Coast, BBC2.
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:02 PM   #4
JDN21
JDN21

Take it next Sunday's ep will be about Liverpool then? Sound.
JDN21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2005, 11:15 PM   #5
scouserdave
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN21
Take it next Sunday's ep will be about Liverpool then? Sound.
The "Capital City of Wales" according to the programme. Looking forward to it.
Old August 5th, 2005, 05:25 PM   #6
Paul D
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER

Likes (Received): 1675

Quote:
Originally Posted by scouserdave
Coast, BBC2.
Tonight it covers the Merseyside and Lancashire coastlines,not to be missed.
Paul D no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:40 PM   #7
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Likes (Received): 788

Will it have the Gormless statues in it, or the Ourox footprints (met the bloke who discovered them. Spent the time throwing sticks for his dog to fetch..), or the fossilised woodland on Hightown beach?
Old August 5th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #8
sloyne
Help find Madeleine

Just (18:45BST) caught the "very" end of a BBC Radio Merseyside interview with Tony Sebanthiler of Downtown Liverpool . Did anyone catch the interview and if yes, can you give us a synopsis of what was said? Thanks in advance3.
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:07 PM   #9
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Didn't know Mr Sebo was on Sloyne. Do Radio Merseyside have a tinternet site? It might be repeated or online to replay...
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:24 PM   #10
westisbest
Justice for the 96

Likes (Received): 24

Sky 1 at 9 tonight. 1 night in may for any lpool suporters

18 League Titles
5 European Cups
westisbest no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:41 PM   #11
A.D.Williams
BANNED

One night in May 2005? Why what happened? Did I miss something, like?

A.D.Williams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:44 PM   #12
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Wasn't that when West tower was approved?
Old August 5th, 2005, 08:53 PM   #13
A.D.Williams
BANNED

Aye. That sounds about right. They make a tv programme about that though?! Strange.

A.D.Williams no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2005, 09:04 PM   #14
liverpolitan

Does anyone know what time it is on?
Old August 6th, 2005, 01:07 PM   #15
Steve C

Likes (Received): 1

Watched one night in may - and it brought tears to my eyes.

I also taped coast, which featured Liverpool, and that was rubbish. Showed the 3 graces predictably and mentioned how the city grew largely from the slave trade. Very vague. Can't have featured Liverpool for more than 7 or 8 minutes in an hour long programme.
Steve C no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2005, 04:23 AM   #16
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Thumbs down "Coast" POL and Martins Bank info misleading........

I also saw the prog which although it showed some nice pics was disappointing and I don`t belive accurate in commentary regarding those `symbols of slavery` no matter how well intentioned regarding a very different and terrible period.

The time scale of the commentary was just wishful thinking as symbols of slavery would not (I think) be used in commercial architechure design in the 20th century - despite the fact that Liverpool currently intends to open a new slavery museum and already displays many historical records on the subject.

The oft used comment that the bricks of Liverpool are cemented with the blood of slaves is as accurate as the fact that my father and grand fathers were plucked out of the `workers pens` to work on the Liverpool docks as required `last century` and as abhorent.

Prisoners of war and prisoners of the need to work accordingly.

Last edited by Pietari; August 11th, 2005 at 04:44 AM.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:04 PM   #17
General Zod
General Zod

Did anyone see the programe on Liverpool in the slave trade last night ? The programe was on channel 5 and it was called 'The Empire pays back'. It outlined Liverpool but more particularly London and it's involvement in the slave trade. The presenter was down Water Street explaining how Martins bank was connected to the business. Quite interesting stuff.

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:20 PM   #18
Scarecrow
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

Bloody stupid programme. He wants £7.5 trillion in reparations. If he gave a factual and balanced view of the slave trade it might've been worth watching. Instead he came across as bit of a dickhead. Who gets this £7.5 trillion? Should it also be payable over a period of 200 years? How much do the African countries who sold Britain the slaves have to contribute? Should we cut off financial aid to these countries to ensure they foot the bill? What the fuck was he doing going around banks and placing anti-slavery signs outside? Am I guilty by association too because I opened a bank account with a bank which was later taken over by another bank which had taken over another bank 100 years previous which was itself acquired a bank that was involved in the slave trade?

Don't forget the £7.5 trillion included compound interest. Who would pay the compound interest? The banks who he campaigned against? How many slaves would have put their entire life earnings into a high yeilding bank account for 200 years anyway?

As for the gullible yes men who gave him that figure, they should be thrown out of whatever financial institutions they represent. I'm all for a memorial. A serious symbol of rememberance should be erected in Liverpool and one in London too. Reparation? Fuck off! Find me a slave or person directly or indirectly affected by the slave trade and we'll talk. 200 years is a bit late for reparation if you ask me.

Last edited by Scarecrow; August 16th, 2005 at 03:25 PM.
Scarecrow no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2005, 03:52 PM   #19
General Zod
General Zod

I think everyone accepts the slave trade is wrong but you cannot hold anyone accountable at this point. If the presenter wants reparations then you could take that argument to extreems and hold the French (Normans) Nowegian (Viking) and Italian (Roman) governments for messing with our people centuries ago too.

I don't think it was necessary to go down the roads in putting a figure on the human life costs because it is a nonsense figure ultimately and it proves and solves nothing. I agree with him that there should be a monument but if you paid money out who would get it ? Still, the programme provoked thought and debate.

www.generalzod.net/
General Zod no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2005, 05:36 AM   #20
Pietari
Just something

Likes (Received): 14

Thumbs down Not the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Zod
I think everyone accepts the slave trade is wrong but you cannot hold anyone accountable at this point. If the presenter wants reparations then you could take that argument to extreems and hold the French (Normans) Nowegian (Viking) and Italian (Roman) governments for messing with our people centuries ago too.

I don't think it was necessary to go down the roads in putting a figure on the human life costs because it is a nonsense figure ultimately and it proves and solves nothing. I agree with him that there should be a monument but if you paid money out who would get it ? Still, the programme provoked thought and debate.
I saw the program just after it started.....

Unfortunate though the slave trade was then - and it must be remembered that Africans played a very active role in it - by providing so many of the `prisoners` of tribal conflicts etc.

`Slavery` is still an active 21st century world wide issue, child forced labour and in the various sex industries including women and men also forced into meanial work.

My gut feeling remains that the programs (Channel 5 and BBC 1 `Coast) were little more than mud raking - I`m only surprised that `Nelsons Monument` in `Exchange Flags` wasn`t used to illustrate the `Slaves in chains` - which has been falsely enshrined in Scouse myth for years.

They are in fact emblomatic of the `prisoners of war` of Nelsons four naval victories and nothing to do with assumed slavery. (see also below.)

With regards to the Cunnard building the `figure heads` include examples of `all races` and many nations from around the globe....again nothing to do with salvery - which is rightly abhorent.

Bending the truth will not however help the cause no matter how well intentioned - which I hope it was.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prisoner sculpture from the monument to Lord Nelson

The Conservation Centre is currently conserving the Nelson monument in Exchange Flags Square, Liverpool.

To celebrate the bicentenary of Nelson's death, the Merseyside Maritime Museum has taken the opportunity to exhibit one of the recently conserved prisoners from the monument.

For more information and to see images of the figure being conserved (and in situ at Exchange Flags as part of the Nelson monument)

visit http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/m...elsonmonument/.

"four prisoners that represent captured sailors in torment from Nelson’s four greatest triumphs. About 4000 French prisoners of war were held in Liverpool during the Napoleonic Wars."

Last edited by Pietari; August 17th, 2005 at 07:27 AM.
Pietari no está en línea   Reply With Quote