daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Regional Development and Discussion > Gauteng > Johannesburg > Projects

Old August 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM   #1
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 287

#Sandton City Upgrade (Phase I) - 30 000mē - Retail - Sandton | Complete

R1,7bn facelift for Sandton City
Company announcement
05 August 2008

Africa's best-known retail property set for refurbishment.

Liberty Properties Development - a division of Liberty Properties Group - announces a R1,77 billion refurbishment of the landmark Sandton City Complex, the most iconic retail facilities in Africa and the Southern Hemisphere. This initiative comprises a 30 000mē extension which will take the complex to a massive 158 000mē gross lettable area. The Sandton City complex is owned by Liberty Properties (75%) and Pareto Limited (25%).

CEO of Liberty Properties Development, Caswell Rampheri, says this enormous project has been three and a half years in the making. "It will entrench the Sandton City Complex as Gauteng's premier shopping destination and enable it to support the significant development and growth seen in this area, coming particularly from new residences and the construction of the Sandton Gautrain station.

"The retail extension will accommodate our existing key retail tenants such as Woolworths, Truworths, Edcon and the Foschini Group, which have for some time been requesting additional space, as well as numerous enquiries from other local and international retailers.

"The project will enhance shareholder and policyholder value by ensuring Sandton City remains relevant and can continue in its position as the unrivalled shopping destination for local and international consumers."

Rampheri says the refurbishment and improvements are in line with the broader vision of the Johannesburg Municipality for Sandton, which is to create a pedestrian friendly neighbourhood, a residential housing offering for differing income levels and promote a mindset of ‘work, live, shop and play'.

The interior refurbishment includes introducing more natural light and internal landscaping with ‘green' touches, and the brightening of the parking areas, as close on 1 000 additional parking bays will be constructed. Southern Sun's Sandton Sun hotel lobby will be refurbished to include more dining areas and a rooftop restaurant with views of the city. Throughout the complex there will be an all round improvement in security, through the installation of state of the art surveillance equipment.

The project also includes structural elements aimed at improving customer flow and movement by connecting the entire mall, which means completing the loop between Woolworths at one end and Edgars at the other. Connections between upper and lower levels will be more streamlined, access and vehicle flow will be improved and the complex will be further integrated, through easier access, with the Sandton Convention Centre, Nelson Mandela Square and the broader Sandton area.

The refurbishment extends to the replacement of tiles, ceilings, bulkheads, columns and lighting. Out-of-date capital equipment such as lifts, escalators, air-conditioning, parking equipment and building management systems will also be replaced and a key component of the project is improving electrical back up power to counteract future shortages of electricity.

Other value-add customer services will include child care facilities, refined customer services desks and gift vouchers, mother and child parking, and customer friendly signage, amenities and pause areas. The revamped complex should not only attract more shoppers, but should see them staying longer.

Rampheri says that international London-based RTKL Associates- an award winning global practice of architects, planners, engineers and design consultants - have been chosen as the complex designers based on their bold approach and comprehensive understanding of retail. RTKL are designers of the Beijing International Sports and Exhibition Center, which will house the 2008 Olympic Games. They have also designed The Gateway Shopping Centre in Umhlanga, Durban and are the designers for the new Twin Towers precinct in New York.

The refurbishment will contribute significantly to job creation and BEE development. It will commence end of 2008 and is scheduled for completion early 2012.

The main construction contract has not yet been awarded and is in the tender stage, and will include a 60% BEE participation target with mandatory use of SME and joint venture BEE entities to ensure skills transfer. The work schedule will accommodate the expected increase of visitors during the 2010 World Cup.

Rampheri says the refurbishment is the first step in a much broader vision for Sandton City and Sandton which ideally would include the construction of a new office tower, an additional hotel and increased residential housing, further extending the Sandton City retail offering alongside structural strengthening of the existing complex, revamping its external facade as well as that of the existing office tower, and reconfiguring the hotel malls. "We have broad vision and high aspirations for this enduring landmark."

Time to start sourcing those pics, renders and additional news! This is a great day for Sandton. The grand old lady of SA shopping centres was looking a little too-close to retirement. Now, she sees her "plastic surgeon" and will be shiny, new and perfect Doll!
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 6th, 2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Jakes1
Jakes1

Likes (Received): 104

I wish they could do something about the current office tower...
Jakes1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:09 PM   #3
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Likes (Received): 74

Old August 6th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Jakes1
Jakes1

Engineering News - they refer to the planned 80F tower... obviously this would form part of phase 14 of the project... they should stop playing with my soul.

By: Christy van der Merwe
Published: 5 Aug 08 - 18:00
The fourth quarter of 2008 would see northern Johannesburg’s Sandton City begin its transformation, as the R1,77-billion first phase of the ‘masterplan’, which includes refurbishment of the existing centre, addition of 30 000 m2 of new retail space, improved access and additional parking bays, gets under way.

Liberty Properties property development MD Caswell Rampheri told Engineering News Online that the professional team of contractors that would be responsible for the development was being finalised, and the tender would be awarded and announced within a month.

In February 2007, London-based RTKL Associates, a global practice of architects, planners, engineers and design consultants, were chosen as the complex designers. RTKL were the designers of the Beijing International Sports and Exhibition Center, which will house the 2008 Olympic Games, as well as designed the Gateway Shopping Centre in Umhlanga, and are the designers for the new Twin Towers precinct in New York.

Refurbishment and extension of the mall was the first of three phases, and the second and third phases would include the construction of a new 80-storey office tower, an additional hotel and increased residential housing, further extending the Sandton City retail offering alongside structural strengthening of the existing complex, revamping its external facade as well as that of the existing office tower, and reconfiguring the hotel malls. “We have broad vision and high aspirations for this enduring landmark,” said Rampheri.

Liberty Properties hoped to have 95% of the construction complete by the time the 2010 FIFA World Cup took place, when construction would be stopped temporarily to accommodate the increased number of visitors. By April 2011, it was expected that the project would be entirely complete.

Liberty Properties said that the reason for refurbishment was that after research and consultations, the shopping centre was perceived as “dark and tired”, and had to be modernised to keep up with the increasing competition, as well as the fact that there was significant demand from local and global retailers to have their flagship stores in Sandton City.

The interior refurbishment includes introducing more natural light and internal landscaping with ‘green’ touches, and the brightening of the parking areas, as close on 1 000 additional parking bays would be constructed.

Southern Sun’s Sandton Sun hotel lobby would be refurbished to include more dining areas and a rooftop restaurant with views of the city. Throughout the complex there will be an improvement in security, through the installation of surveillance equipment.

The first phase of the project also includes structural elements aimed at improving customer flow and movement by connecting the entire mall, which means completing the loop between Woolworths at one end and Edgars at the other. Connections between upper and lower levels will be more streamlined, access and vehicle flow will be improved and the complex will be further integrated, through easier access, with the Sandton Convention Centre, Nelson Mandela Square and the broader Sandton area.

The refurbishment would extend to the replacement of tiles, ceilings, bulkheads, columns and lighting. Out-of-date capital equipment such as lifts, escalators, air-conditioning, parking equipment and building management systems would also be replaced, and a key component of the project was improving electrical back up power to counteract future shortages of electricity.

Rampheri said that a key driver in the project managers brief was that as much of the refurbishment work as possible should be done outside of shopping hours so as to cause minimal disruption to store owners and shoppers. “We don’t want to kill our cash cow,” added Rampheri.

Sandton City is owned 75% by Liberty Properties and 25% by Pareto
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #5
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

As part of the project 5th Street will be pedestrianised but not the whole of it. There will be retail that connects those four other buildings with the 4 towers. We have been complaining about the green space in Sandton and that's what they mainly focusing on now.

I hope when the 80 Story tower is completed, NatGeo will show us as to how the tallest building in Africa is built.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #6
annman
Annman

It seems like the existing office tower will be upgraded in phase 2 after the World Cup. Although, I do wish, such 80 storey projects would be mooted in the Jo'burg CBD rather than Sandton to be honest. I want the urban structure of Jo'burg metro to become "real" again, where Sandton becomes an auxiliary CBD, with the CBD proper reassuming its position as Gauteng's heart.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:15 PM   #7
Jakes1
Jakes1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pule View Post
If you look at the pic you will notice a couple of things.

1. Bottom left - the Sandton Sun - apparently with new cladding...
2. 2nd tower left - revamped sandton office buildings, those on the t-junction of maude and 5th
3. Sandton city office block with new cladding... the third building
4. Top left - new 80F office block
5. On the right you can see the residential blocks that are built on top of the current parking lot.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #8
Lydon

Likes (Received): 1839

80F? Bring it on.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:16 PM   #9
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Does anyone know were the Rea Vaya Stations will be located in Sandton?
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:17 PM   #10
Jakes1
Jakes1

Actually the 2nd phase includes the 80F office block.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #11
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakes1 View Post
1. Bottom left - the Sandton Sun - apparently with new cladding...
Yes, I can confirm that.

Quote:
2. 2nd tower left - revamped sandton office buildings, those on the t-junction of maude and 5th
Correct again.

Quote:
3. Sandton city office block with new cladding... the third building
Not sure about this one.

Quote:
4. Top left - new 80F office block
Yip.

Quote:
5. On the right you can see the residential blocks that are built on top of the current parking lot.
On the spot again and there will be green space with 3 swimming pools.

Currently pedestrians use parking lot entrance when they go into Sandton City but that's gonna be changed totally. There will be nice landscaping and a magnificently designed glass will cover the entrance from the street.

There are some of teh things that they couldn't explain when i asked but they will get back to me.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #12
Lydon

From that article I'm getting the gist that a few new international retailers will be opening up shop here? I wonder who...
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:27 PM   #13
annman
Annman

There are a couple that are curiously lacking from the SA market and can think of a couple contenders for space that would suit Sandton. I think DeBeers retail division should set up shop in Sandton, as they have in LA, NYC, Tokyo and London. Zara clothing from Spain should, we lack H&M that is a big deal in Europe and is making waves in the USA now. We should have dedicated Gap Store here now from San Francisco and hopefully FCUK from England. Perhaps Jimmy Choo and Lilywhites will make open an additional store (after the CT Waterfront)? It could be nice to see Abercrombie & Fitch here, but they have failed to expand much out of the USA thusfar (couple stores in London & Canada), so doubt it.

Last edited by annman; August 6th, 2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 02:30 PM   #14
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
From that article I'm getting the gist that a few new international retailers will be opening up shop here? I wonder who...
That's what I asked but no names mentioned as yet. The other good news is that Sandton is focusing on creating High Street Shopping instead of always going into Nelson Mandela Square and/or Sandton City.

At the top floor of the 80 story there will be trees. Its seems like it will just be a green space. They say that the reason why they had to change the looks of Sandton City is that it felt so enclosed and people wanted to feel as if they are outside even if they are in a mall and the glass will direct the light into the building.
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:00 PM   #15
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 289

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
There are a couple that are curiously lacking from the SA market and can think of a couple contenders for space that would suit Sandton. I think DeBeers retail division should set up shop in Sandton, as they have in LA, NYC, Tokyo and London. Zara clothing from Spain should, we lack H&M that is a big deal in Europe and is making waves in the USA now. We should have dedicated Gap Store here now from San Francisco and hopefully FCUK from England. Perhaps Jimmy Choo and Lilywhites will make open an additional store (after the CT Waterfront)? It could be nice to see Abercrombie & Fitch here, but they have failed to expand much out of the USA thusfar (couple stores in London & Canada), so doubt it.
Lillywhites and Promod (french) are opening all over now, so maybe will be, but they nothing to rave about. They both opening in that new Westville centre.

Regards the 80F tower, maybe its just me, but why so high? it will look crazy out of place. i like proportion, mayb i the only one...i dunno

But this is a great redevelopment and much needed
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #16
annman
Annman

That's why the 80storeys concerns we, it will look like this giant 350m spire jutting out of a 100m-150m mass. That's why I so badly want to see this stuff in Jozi CBD proper. Could you imagine gleaming new 50storey to 80storey towers alongside Carton Centre in Marshalltown, would be awesome there, much needed and very "in place"!

I want this reaction upon people seeing Jo'burg, "Wow, what a gorgeous gleaming skyline, I can see this is the economic juggernaut of Africa!" Not, "Oh, the skyline looks so 60's, what happened to it, what is that mass of tall buildings in the distance?"

I grant Sandton its every happiness, but I desperately want the enthusiasm to spread where it is needed and sustainable. Sandton is not an ideal CBD in Gauteng; The freeway networks, rail networks and bulk infrastructure was built to suit Jo'burg's CBD at Marshalltown, Newtown, Braamfontein and Hillbrow. I want Sandton City upgraded, but I don't want Sandton developing at the expense of the actual CBD (as they are making progress and investors should notice) and creating a massive CBD there is not sustainable to the urban fabric of Jozi.

Just my 10cents!

Last edited by annman; August 6th, 2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #17
Lydon

Well, the Burj in Dubai does look a little bigger than the towers around it you must admit
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:11 PM   #18
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 289

the new one? i bloody hate it
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:12 PM   #19
Lydon

Guess it's a matter of opinion. I think it looks quite cool actually. Though it will get a little ridiculous if the Al Burj is built, which is double the size of the Burj (hope I'm getting the names right and not swapping them around or anything. But you get the point).
Old August 6th, 2008, 03:17 PM   #20
Pule
BITTER HEART NEVER REST

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Regards the 80F tower, maybe its just me, but why so high? it will look crazy out of place. i like proportion, mayb i the only one...i dunno
It might be complemented by 60-70 stories with time. Like Spinnaker, it is so damn lonely but with time neighbours will be welcomed.

Tags
johannesburg, sandton