daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 19th, 2006, 05:22 PM   #21
Rail Claimore

Likes (Received): 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnk View Post
This view may have applied 20 years ago. The Midwest then and now still has a lot to offer as far as things to do.

But really we live in an expanded regional/global world now. Do not tell me you have not left the west coast in the last couple of years?

I can easily leave the Midwest and travel and see the country, Canada and the rest of the world pretty easily. Thank to O’Hare.

My average weekend is spent with my family at home and at local relative households. I have no problem venturing into WI, MI, MN, easily, at the lakes and other Midwest delights, which I do often. I also enjoy my time in the city, much to the detriment of suburban bashers. BTW Chicagoland suburbs offer a diverse and excellent restaurant selection, compared to threads I have read, and personally experienced, in smaller Midwestern suburban city bashing threads. Such as those complaining about the choices and quality, i.e. Minneapolis.

I travel to Fla twice a year with my family, because my in-laws live there in the winter. I have relatives in San Fran (Napa) and travel there often too. Canada also.

I have been out of the country several times this year and will continue my visits. I have never felt like I am missing something by living in the Midwest. Never once I felt isolated

I feel quite lucky.

I feel for those who never venture beyond their own horizon.
I feel the same way about living in the South, which raises the eyebrows of people who find out. But little do they seem to contemplate that a trip to Europe or Asia involves merely a one-stop flight at either ATL, ORD, or DTW (which is by far the best airport in the Eastern US for flying to Asia from thanks to NWA).

If I ever get a whole crapload of money, I'm definintely considering a second home around here, somewhere near the mountains and lakes not too far from here.

The reason I wish to move to Chicago though is that #1: it affords me more opportunity to pursue my goals... and #2: I love Chicago.

Last edited by Rail Claimore; October 19th, 2006 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Added something.
Rail Claimore no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 19th, 2006, 05:24 PM   #22
Dampyre
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
^ I agree. When I was looking for a job, I had offers for the same job all over the country. Even though I would be doing the same thing, the salaries varied. My friensd who took jobs in California and New York turned down the same jobs in Chicago for 20-30% less. It is the middle class here who make less. The upper class is here, and there is plenty of upper class priced homes. But middle class families cant afford $600,000 homes here like they do in Cali and NYC because they are paid less.
Middle class families can't afford $600k homes anywhere. As a loan originator I can tell you that for a fact. Many middle class families in places like California and New York have benefited from the astronomical rise in prices over the last decade. When these famlies sell they walk away with hundreds of thousands which is used as a down payemnt on a new home.

Middle class families trying to buy now are doing so with loan programs like pay option arms and interest only deals. These loans can get you in trouble over the long haul. If you are not making $250k per year purchasing a $600k home is not a viable option
Dampyre no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2006, 04:21 AM   #23
LA1

Likes (Received): 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrintersRowBoiler View Post
We still are a blue collar city in my opinion even though there are plenty of white collar jobs. You are taking me too literally. I think we have a blue collar attitude in Chicago vs. other cities. Just go to you run of the mill Chicago bar. (It is more like a pub). The roots from many of our father's fathers are still live in us.

I think real estate is lower because not a lot of people are moving here. Not often do you meet people from the West Coast or East Coast (yes, we are kinda snubbed upon). In NYC you have foreigners and poeple from all over the country moving there to get high paying jobs. In LA you have wannabe actors, immigrants, and people who just want to move to California moving out there in addition to retirees. It is simple: supply and demand. That in my opinion is a blessing in disguise as we dont lose our character.
Couldnt you say that for NYC and Boston? Run of the mill bars in those 2 cities arent full of hipsters or yuppies either. I wouldnt say that makes that a blue collar city.

Chicago has more white collar jobs than blue collar. This has been true for 20-25 years or so.
LA1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote