daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Closed Thread

Old November 1st, 2006, 04:15 AM   #1
WesternburbsTony23

Likes (Received): 0

Chicago is a true World Class City....

Well just got back from London and had a great time. I have now been to all the "world cities" excpet for Tokoyo. London was the last one I had not been too. My wife and I always have a great time when traveling, but we also have a realization that we indeed live in(now were out in the burbs, so near) a World Class city in Chicago.

This is not a city vs. city thread, but rather an appreciation for a city(for some reason???) is waaaaaaay overlooked by the media and tourists(even though the numbers are getting higher and higher). As for world class status, here is my case:

Downtown/City Centre- Obviously Chicago competes with all the world cities with its dense downtown, foot traffic in the loop and mag mile, Millineium Park. SKyscrapers, well no argument is needed for this

Transportation-Just getting back from London, the Underground is by far the best public transportation I have ever been on, ever. Now the el is very effecient and along with NYC, 24 hours.

Shopping- I dont care what anyone says, Chicago's mag mile is the best shopping street in the world. Been to Rodeo, 5th Ave, Oxford, etc. Michigan Ave wins by a long shot. Once again, IMO

Restaraunts- I know I am biased, but I think Chicago has the best restaraunts when it comes to quality and price in the world. After going to Europe where service is, well, not so good, you really really appreciate the Chicago restaraunts

Museums- I think everyone is in agreement that we can compete on all fronts with museums

Parks/Lakefronts- Grant, Millineum, Lake Shore Drive, beaches, lakefront

Tourist attractions- Sears/Hancock observations, Mich Ave, Museums, Navy Pier. Millineum Park

Nightlife - Rush in Division always has great foot traffic, espeically for tourists or those from the burbs coming in for a Friday/Saturday night

Theatre- Mama Mia, Wicked, Mounty Pythons, Chicago Theatre, Producers, etc

Sports - Come on, we have 2 baseball teams, football, hockey, basketball, MLS, Chicago Wolves

Last, but not least one of the best and prettiest layouts of a city with the lakefront, parks, skyline.

After just traveling to London and NYC what we are missing more than anything to me is some type of Square like Times in NYC or LIecester in London. On a Tuesday night in London on Liecester Square the foot traffic was absolutely amazing. There were more people in one area of London than I have ever seen on the streets of Chicago.

So I would say some type of square with restaraunts, theatres, etc.

The only other thing hurting Chicago IMO is the weather, but hey, London's weather might be worse with all the rain so who knows.

So what do others think? Do you think you live in or near a World Class city or do you take it as a Great American City?

I obviously believe it to be World Class.
WesternburbsTony23 no está en línea  

Sponsored Links
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:18 AM   #2
wheelingman
Pittsburgh rocks!!

Likes (Received): 9

^ I agree with what you said. I have been to most major cities in North America, and Chicago is my favorite of all of them. It is just an incredible world class city that is actually liveable for average people because the cost of living is within rage of a vast amount of people. NYC and San Francisco are wonderful cities, but middle class people can't live there for the most part or have a tough time if they can. People can actually take advantage of Chicago's wonderful lifestyle and attractions without breaking the bank.
Montreal is unique!!
wheelingman no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:26 AM   #3
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

This is a versus thread in disguise and sooner or later our happy little bubble will burst and the shitstorm will begin. How about we all quit while we're ahead?
The Urban Politician no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 05:40 AM   #4
WesternburbsTony23

Urban Politician with all do respect you are wrong. This is in no way a city vs. city thread. Chicago is not NYC, London, L.A., Paris, etc. It is Chicago. I dont know if "Best kept secret" is the best word because it is a widely known city. The point of the thread is for those who live in or near the city to really come to an understanding and appreciattion that hey, we live in a pretty freakin good metropolis. I think most on this forum do feel this way, but some still consider Chicago a great "American city" instead of "World City."
Old November 1st, 2006, 06:34 AM   #5
cubsfan

I live in & love Chicago as much as the next man but I would be reluctant to consider us a "World City," at least on the level of NY, Paris, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc... With the costal bias in this country, Chicago has a hard enough time competing for American recognition, let alone on the world stage.

One thing that all of those "World Cities" have in common is that they are all the Big Cheese of thier respective countries, wether you're talking; financial political, media, entertainment, fashion, artistic, population, transportation, or even skyline, the afformentioned cities are all number one in most if not all of those catagories for thier country.

I think as along as Chicago sits third in it's own country it will never be considered a true "World City." If America did more to promote Chicago than I think that would be our biggest push in that direction. The Olympics would definitely bring us close also.

Alot of things would have to change first though, like the New York Times not being our national news paper,a major broadcast network moving it's headquarters to Chicago, Fortune 500 companies moving here rather than NY & Houston, the Cubs winning 26 World Series' so we don't have to hear about every time a friggin Yankee takes a shit in the clubhouse, IF Chicago keeps approving these buildings and Daley makes a move to become Las Vegas of the midwest than Chicago would permanately become a "World City" regardless of NY & LA.
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 12:53 PM   #6
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post
I live in & love Chicago as much as the next man but I would be reluctant to consider us a "World City," at least on the level of NY, Paris, London, Tokyo, Hong Kong, etc... With the costal bias in this country, Chicago has a hard enough time competing for American recognition, let alone on the world stage.

One thing that all of those "World Cities" have in common is that they are all the Big Cheese of thier respective countries, wether you're talking; financial political, media, entertainment, fashion, artistic, population, transportation, or even skyline, the afformentioned cities are all number one in most if not all of those catagories for thier country.

I think as along as Chicago sits third in it's own country it will never be considered a true "World City." If America did more to promote Chicago than I think that would be our biggest push in that direction. The Olympics would definitely bring us close also.

Alot of things would have to change first though, like the New York Times not being our national news paper,a major broadcast network moving it's headquarters to Chicago, Fortune 500 companies moving here rather than NY & Houston, the Cubs winning 26 World Series' so we don't have to hear about every time a friggin Yankee takes a shit in the clubhouse, IF Chicago keeps approving these buildings and Daley makes a move to become Las Vegas of the midwest than Chicago would permanately become a "World City" regardless of NY & LA.

In regards to your observations on the negatives of the Chicago image:

• third largest in its nation might mean nothing much if you are talking about a nation the size of Leabanon or Bolivia. But we're talking the f-ing USA, continental size in population and similiar to European size in area. If London, Paris, Rome, etc., can be world class, so obviously can America's third largest metropolis.

• Coastal/interior attitudes may have keep US cities in the interior down for many years in aa more nationalistic era. In an increasingly global planet, distance from the coast means diddily sqwat. Meanwhile, Chicago is far more of a coastal city than let's say Charleston, or Savannah, or Mobile...despite not being on the coast. If you woke up one morning in any of those 3 cities or in Chicago and had to get to either London, Tokyo, Cape Town, Rio,etc., the quickest, you could do it much faster from Chicago than you could from any of the others. That's the real coastal.
edsg25 no está en línea  
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:08 PM   #7
WesternburbsTony23

I would have to agree with Edge on this. Chicago is the 3rd largest city in the most powerful country the world has ever seen. I apologize if it comes off as egotisitic, but to make my point, one has to state the obvious. Most European countries have 1 big city and alot of other great cities as well. But lets say you use the example the one gentleman posted on Chicago being 3rd in the U.S. Well, in Europe you have London, Paris, Rome. So the 3rd one on that would not be a "World City?" I think not.

Once again, I do not want this to become a city vs. city thread, but for those to look at the argument I laid down below and tell me Chicago is not a World City. It is, accept it.

And if you use body's of water, Paris and London are not "on the water" like NYC or L.A.

Hey, I love the Midwest, love the people, the culture, etc. In no way would I ever apologize for being in the midwest. Chicago is a midwestern city with midwestern values. Those who want to be "coastal" are totally missing what Chicago is all about. It is not NYC, it is not L.A, it is Chicago. And thank god for that. And I am telling you, 20 years from now, Chicago will be on a different stage in world opinion because it wanted to be Chicago.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:47 AM   #8
urbanpln

Likes (Received): 1

I have few points to make that may appear to be conflicting. First, yes Chicago is a one of the great cities in the world. Any one who says it's not is simply not being truthful or has never been here. Sometimes people may visit Chicago and never go outside of the central area. There are several very cool neighborhoods in this city that are comparable to cool neighborhoods all over the world. The city is still young on the evolution chart and does not have the history or the position in the world that history has given to London, Paris and NYC nor does it have the position of west coast cities. Being closer to Asia and developing a history of trading with that part of the world. Although airports have made access to foreign markets easier, which leaves Chicago in a better position to reach the world and vice versa, the coastal cities and those that history positioned for importance (London, Paris), had an easier path to greatness. Chicago has had to make its own opportinities without been strategically located over the past 50 years or so. It had to overcome de-industrialization and its political leaders did not embrace the new war related industries, which evolved into high-tech industry, that has helped the sunbelt, including the silicon valley, prosper.

Its been less than 40 years since Chicago has started focusing on building a denser core. Its been even a shorter period of time since the the local population and surrounding area has embraced the central city and urbanity. Not long ago it was almost taboo to try and attract or hold on to creative related businesses such as fashion. City leaders believed that those type of industries belonged in New York or L.A.. Our leaders believed that manufacturing was what they should focus on because it paid higher wages. It was not long ago that leaders believed that conventions would bring visitors here and that there was no need to focus on leisure travelers. Our leaders believed that conventioneers spend more money overall. We are still young in your evolution and althought we are great we still have a long way to go.

Are we world class? What the F#$K is world class? There are many different variables. Being world class by popular standards mean several things and come with a high price for the general populace. One, is higher real estate prices due to high demand in the local real estate market. Second, is an over abundance of pretentiousness among the transplants. Third, is tons of fashionable boutiques concentrated in areas that are very busy every day of the week nearly everyday of the year. Fourth, is a cosmopolitan feel that comes from the first three standards. Some this is evident in Chicago but, it is much larger in London, Paris and, NYC. I predict that we are evolving to this type of city. Will we reach the level of the three proceeding cities? I don't know time will only tell. One thing I do know is that Chicago is changing and it has to change if it is going to survive in this new flat world economy. If we are going to survive we will begin to mirror the other outstanding cities. (World Class does not come without a price)

Chicago at this time in its history is not in the same league as London, Paris and NYC. This does not mean that Chicago is not one of the world great cities, we are, its just that we have a different role at this time in history and that plays out on streets in each city. There is a different energy in London, Paris and New York. There's even a differnt energy in cities like Barcelona and Amsterdam. I'd like to ask Tony 23 where did you go in London and Paris or NYC. You have to venture outside of the touristy areas. Well on second thought that hard to do in Paris or London but, what you have in those cities that doesn't exist here are the three popular standards I listed that exist on a massive scale, in many adjacent areas over a larger physical area. You can find glitz, funkyness, grittyness all package together to look sexy. Currently That does not exist here.

Last edited by urbanpln; November 2nd, 2006 at 03:14 AM.
urbanpln no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 12:59 AM   #9
urbanpln

Excuse me for duplicating the post

Last edited by urbanpln; November 2nd, 2006 at 01:03 AM. Reason: duplicate
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:04 AM   #10
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

U are right again
Dallas star no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:05 AM   #11
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

This thread shpuld be locked before it is a city vs city war
Dallas star no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:36 AM   #12
Ian604
Captain

Likes (Received): 46

I'm not certain who determines "world-class" or what the attributes of "world-class" cities are but Chicago is my favorite urban destination when i want to get away from home for a while.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 01:44 AM   #13
sbarn

Likes (Received): 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanpln View Post
I have few points to make that may appear to be conflicting. First, yes Chicago is a one of the great cities in the world. Any one who says it's not is simply not being truthful or has never been here. Sometimes people may visit Chicago and never go outside of the central area. There are several very cool neighborhoods in this city that are comparable to cool neighborhoods all over the world. The city is still young on the evolution chart and does not have the history or the position in the world that history has given to London, Paris and NYC nor does it have the position of west coast cities. Being closer to Asia and developing a history of trading with that part of the world. Although airports have made access to foreign markets easier, which leaves Chicago in a better position to reach the world and vice versa, the coastal cities and those that history positioned for importance (London, Paris), had an easier path to greatness. Chicago has had to make its own opportinities without been strategically located over the past 50 years or so. It had to overcome de-industrialization and its political leaders did not embrace the new war related industries, which evolved into high-tech industry, that has helped the sunbelt, including the silicon valley, prosper.

Its been less than 40 years since Chicago has started focusing on building a denser core. Its been even a shorter period of time since the the local population and surrounding area has embraced the central city and urbanity. Not long ago it was almost taboo to try and attract or hold on to creative related businesses such as fashion. City leaders believed that those type of industries belonged in New York or L.A.. Our leaders believed that manufacturing was what they should focus on because it paid higher wages. It was not long ago that leaders believed that conventions would bring visitors here and that there was no need to focus on leisure travelers. Our leaders believed that conventioneers spend more money overall. We are still young in your evolution and althought we are great we still have a long way to go.

Are we world class? What the F#$K is world class? There are many different variables. Being world class by popular standards mean several things and come with a high price for the general populace. One, is higher real estate prices due to high demand in the local real estate market. Second, is an over abundance of pretentiousness among the transplants. Third, is tons of fashionable boutiques concentrated in areas that are very busy every day of the week nearly everyday of the year. Fourth, is a cosmopolitan feel that comes from the first three standards. Some this is evident in Chicago but, it is much larger in London, Paris and, NYC. I predict that we are evolving to this type of city. Will we reach the level of the three proceeding cities? I don't know time will only tell. One thing I do know is that Chicago is changing and it has to change if it is going to survive in this new flat world economy. If we are going to survive we will begin to mirror the other outstanding cities. (World Class does not come without a price)

Chicago at this time in its history is not in the same league as London, Paris and NYC. This does not mean that Chicago is not one of the world great cities, we are, its just that we have a different role at this time in history and that plays out on streets in each city. There is a different energy in London, Paris and New York. There's even a differnt energy in cities like Barcelona and Amsterdam. I'd like to ask Tony 23 where did you go in London and Paris or NYC. You have to venture outside of the touristy areas. Well on second thought that hard to do in Paris or London but, what you have in those cities that doesn't exist here is the three popular standards that exist on a massive scale, in many adjacent areas over a larger physical area. You can find glitz, funk, grittyness all package to look sexy. Currently That does not exist here.
Well said. I actually completely agree.
sbarn no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:27 AM   #14
cubsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas star View Post
This thread shpuld be locked before it is a city vs city war
This thread should not be locked up and it is not a city vs. city war, it is a debate on Chicago's standing in the world, my advice to those who think that Chicago is World City, read up on our Sister Cities, we are not with the Alpha Elites....i.e Tokyo, Hong Kong, Paris, London.......We're more like Frankfurt, Venice, Lisben........( just examples)

My point is that the world decides what the trend-setting, cutting-edge cities are, The Sears, Hancock, Millineum Park, Navy Pier and Michigan ave don't determine that....... They're nice landmarks but the people still prefer 5th Ave. Soho, MAdison Ave, Tmes Square, Central Park, Mid-Town & so-on....

You have to be a leader in a major industry to become a World City

NY or LA are the leaders in every category you can imagine, To use your criteria Westerntony, here are some quick points

Sports:
The Yankees are the most recognized and publicised team on the planet......
Madison Square Garden is the most famous sporting venue, also concerts

Theatre:
Broadway is the most highly regarded theatre district in the country (if not world)

Fashion:
NY is only rivaled by Paris And Milan

Museums:
The Guggenheim & The Met....... Two of the most prestigious in the world

Media:
The Big Three Networks.....ABC, NBC, CBS, are all headquartered in NY
The New York Times is our national paper of record, The Wall Street Journal is the most widely circulated financial paper

Parks:
Central Park & Battery Park......

Shopping:
5th ave., Soho, Madison.......L.A........Rodeo, Melrose.....

Plus we all Know That NY is the World Financial Headquarters and Home to the U.N........L.A. has all the film and television studios, Carnegie Hall is the most sought after musical venue..........The list goes on and on without Chicago being the epicenter for any of these catagories......

Let's face it Chicago's greatest claims to fame, as bad as they are, are Michael Jordan, Oprah Whinfrey, Al Capone, The Sears Tower, Wrigley Field, Deep Dish Pizza, "West Side Blues," & Michigan Ave......

None of these Qualify us as a "World City"
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:43 AM   #15
WesternburbsTony23

First of all, for the two of you saying to lock this thread because it is going to turn into a "city vs. city" thread, the two of you are the only ones saying this. No one is arguing. I understand the points all are making. Its just my opinion after traveling around the world that Chicago meets the criteria as a world class city. London population 7.5 mil, NYC population 8 Mil, Tokoyo Population 12 mil
Chicago's population is 2.8 million. The size is almost 3 times smaller than NYC, and 4 times smaller than Tokoyo, but in the criteria I have listed in my first post, which is most often used to classify World Class cities, Chicago is that.

Besides the two jokers wanting to lock the thread, I think all posters on here recognize how great Chicago is and how great other cities are as well.

NYC is the "city" of U.S. and always will be. The economic and media power is just amazing.
Look at L.A., Hollywood is the entertainment capital of the world. Go to any country and you are going to see Hollywood Flicks. Shit, the state of California is the 10 largest economy in the world and is more populous than all of Canada.
London is one of my favorite cities, the architecure there might have been my favorite. Paris another great city, all the history there.
I have not been to Tokoyo, but have heard it is amazing.

These are the world's big hitters and there is a reason why, they are all great cities. But I think Chicago is really going to break through on the "world radar" in 20 years, time will tell if I am right, and everyone will know it is what it is today, and that is a world class city.

There is just too much going on in this beautiful city.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:48 AM   #16
Joey313
JOEY

Likes (Received): 12

true

If a tidal wave hits L.A just grab a fake boob for safety.
Joey313 no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:10 AM   #17
cubsfan

To be fair to people with differing opinions westerntony, you did not preface the first post with "IN Twenty Years" Chicago will be a World City, The argument was that it is now, and even with the 20 years figure, that in itself is purely speculation, in twenty years Atlanta could be a "World City"
cubsfan no está en línea  
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:11 AM   #18
urbanpln

Quote:
Originally Posted by cubsfan View Post

You have to be a leader in a major industry to become a World City

NY or LA are the leaders in every category you can imagine, To use your criteria Westerntony, here are some quick points

Sports:
The Yankees are the most recognized and publicised team on the planet......
Madison Square Garden is the most famous sporting venue, also concerts

Theatre:
Broadway is the most highly regarded theatre district in the country (if not world)

Fashion:
NY is only rivaled by Paris And Milan

Museums:
The Guggenheim & The Met....... Two of the most prestigious in the world

Media:
The Big Three Networks.....ABC, NBC, CBS, are all headquartered in NY
The New York Times is our national paper of record, The Wall Street Journal is the most widely circulated financial paper

Parks:
Central Park & Battery Park......

Shopping:
5th ave., Soho, Madison.......L.A........Rodeo, Melrose.....

Plus we all Know That NY is the World Financial Headquarters and Home to the U.N........L.A. has all the film and television studios, Carnegie Hall is the most sought after musical venue..........The list goes on and on without Chicago being the epicenter for any of these catagories......

None of these Qualify us as a "World City"
While all of your points are valid, I strongly disagree with your logic. I don't believe that you have to be a leader in a major industry to become a world city. There are other cities in the world, especially in Europe, that will rival NYC, L.A. and, Chicago when it comes to offering great culture (food & restaurants, theater, fashion etc.) In most cases these cities are smaller but, have a fierce pace due to their incredible densities. They are busy (major foot traffic and commerce) throughout the entire city, not just the central areas. They are cosomopolitan (worldly) because of ther locations and have a style of their own (unique). And although they don't start fashion trends or have major fashion houses located within their boundaries, they have that look because a large majority of populace is very fashion conscience. These places are not even considered important by most americans because our focus does not venture past our shores. I have mentioned Barcelona in several of my post as being an incredible city of 1.8 million inhabitants and a metro area of 4.5 million. It is an awesome city that will rival anything on the great U.S. continent. It is unique, stylish and has a lot to offer the world. It has so much culture that it could rival anything on both coast. The only reason it does not get attention on the world stage is because Spain economy does not compare to the great empire. Rome, Amsterdam and Prague are all great cites. They are vibrant unique and offer culture that is among the worlds best. Just because they are not a world leader in any economy category does not mean thay are world class. None of the three cities i just mentioned would be considered world class or world cities if your point is correct.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 05:39 AM   #19
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Likes (Received): 1359

we don't do vs. threads on this forum.

besides, the whole "being obsessed with world class status" thing is very 2004.

Closed Thread