daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 31st, 2006, 12:58 AM   #1
The Urban Politician
The City

Likes (Received): 21

Chicago in 2015: how much will it differ from 1995?

One thing for sure, every time I come to Chicago it seems like new buildings have popped up everywhere. But I don't always know what they replaced (vacant lots, old abandoned buildings, historic structures, etc)

But for those of you who live there, I'm guessing you're observing a lot of change with your eyes. Some is good, some is bad, I can imagine. But as with all things we witness over long periods of time, we gradually forget what has changed and accept the new environment as the new 'norm', as you will.

In light of the mega-boom all over the city that has occurred since the late 90's, and considering that many new buildings have yet to start construction, I figured 2015 would be a good year to estimate when much of the construction that is to happen will have been completed.

Given all this, how different do you predict Chicago's cityscape will be in 2015 compared to 1995? Obviously it won't be anywhere near unrecognizable. But would you say that if a person went to sleep in 1995 and woke up again in 2015, he would be astounded by the changes? What do you think his comments would be (ie "what happened to all of our beautiful buildings!" or "traffic is terrible now" or "wow, the city sure has filled in" etc etc)? This includes the whole city, not just downtown.
The Urban Politician no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:00 AM   #2
Dallas star
Everything Texas

Likes (Received): 371

There will be many new buildings
Especially Fordham spire and TTC
Dallas star no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 05:05 AM   #3
chicagogeorge

Likes (Received): 894

By 2015, more gentrification will be occuring further south and west of the Loop (which could be considered good or bad). The Northside (east of say California Ave. and up to say Lawrence Ave.) will be pretty much one big Wrigleyville, with the exception of a few neighborhoods. Anything west of California will also see increased gentrification. The Loop itself will be even more Manhattanesque if you will, as a 24 hour multi-facet urban center. More crowds, more traffic, more residential, more of pretty much everything. I think by then, most of the highrise developement will be southward imo, as Rivernorth will be fully congested. What seems to be happening is that Chicago is being bypassed by many immigrant groups, who head directly to the affordable suburbs (Cicero, Aurora, Joilet, Waukegan.......) I see this trend accelerating by 2015 as property taxes and rent continue to increase astronomically in the city. Maybe the Lower Westside, and a good part of the Southside will still be immigrant hubs but from the looks of it......I don't know?

for the Pelasgians, too, were a Greek nation originally from the Peloponnesus
The Roman Antiquities of Dionysius of Halicarnassus
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...assus/1B*.html

Macedonia, of course, is a part of Greece". Strabo, VII, Frg. 9
http://penelope.uchicago.edu/Thayer/...ragments*.html

But north of the gulf, the first inhabitants are Greeks called Epirotes....
Procopius
http://books.google.com/books?id=9m6...page&q&f=false
chicagogeorge no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 06:52 AM   #4
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village
Likes (Received): 1

For reference, here are a couple of pictures of the Chicago skyline in 1995

Pilsen in 1995:

Probably doesn't help much, but its worth posting.
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 07:06 AM   #5
cubsfan

Likes (Received): 0

Hopefully by then Chicago will compare to todays Mid-Town..... (NY) of course.
cubsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 12:58 PM   #6
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

I imagine Mayor Daley will be balder, fatter, and still defensive and combative at news conferences.

Green script letters will be hailed as they replace the printed Macy's red and its ridiculous star in a proud return to the good old days on State.

Management announces it will give Lou Pinella one more year to turn things around...and that's it.

Expressway CTA trains zoom into block between State and Dearborn, Randolph and Washington, with open air construction site above.

Nudity will have become part of the routine at Oak Street Beach.

A whole new generation of Chicagoans will fall in love with the song "My kind of town, Chicago is"....but who is this Frank guy?

Joint presidents Barbara and Jenna Bush announce that Chicago Olympics sites "safe", despite rise in terrorist activiies in the Iran, North Korea, North Africa, and Canadian war sites. "We're fighting them in Toronto, so we don't have to in Chicago," Barbara notes.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2006, 01:30 PM   #7
edsg25
BANNED

and finally...

the diabolically delightful new concept of subsidized public housing for the rich and super rich makes its debut in Chicago as the plush, ritzy Cabrini-on-the-Greens project (and I do mean project) opens its spectacular towers on Division Boulevard.

City council Democrats (the few that are left) complain about tax-and-spend Republicans and the obscene concept of warehousing the wealthy in tall, dense towers.
Old November 1st, 2006, 09:54 AM   #8
Chitowner245

The city will continue taking pages out of the books of Vancouver and Shanghai- cleaner city, more vegetation, slimmer/taller buildings, updated and more efficient public transit. Daley may not be the best politician, but he sure loves this city as much or more than anyone and he'll figure out a way (legally or corruptly) to get the job done. I don't give a crap how he does it as long as he does it, and i have confidence in him making this city the best it can be.
Chitowner245 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 09:38 AM   #9
chiphile

Likes (Received): 1

lol edsg..
yeah i was gonna say, in 2015 chicago would have most major construction completed for the 2016 olympics.
chiphile no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 3rd, 2006, 01:10 PM   #10
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiphile View Post
lol edsg..
yeah i was gonna say, in 2015 chicago would have most major construction completed for the 2016 olympics.
chi, keep in mind we will still be looking back in nostalgia at the 2006 Bear NFL Championship season and that perfect 19-0 record (even more so than at the 1985 Bears).

Of course, as Chicagoans, we will have fully if sadly accepted the 0-16 2007 Bears season as sort of the natural thing that happens after a championship in any team in any sport without Michael Jordan experiences.
Old November 3rd, 2006, 08:33 PM   #11
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
chi, keep in mind we will still be looking back in nostalgia at the 2006 Bear NFL Championship season and that perfect 19-0 record (even more so than at the 1985 Bears).

Of course, as Chicagoans, we will have fully if sadly accepted the 0-16 2007 Bears season as sort of the natural thing that happens after a championship in any team in any sport without Michael Jordan experiences.
Not too mention all the '85 hucksters will still be trying to sell us everything from used cars to cable TV......da Coach included
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #12
edsg25
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by forumly_chgoman View Post
Not too mention all the '85 hucksters will still be trying to sell us everything from used cars to cable TV......da Coach included
oh, crap, clearly i won't be able to sell you my 5 (unopenned) cassettes of the super bowl shuffle!!!! Let alone that moon over McMahon in New Orleans.
Old November 5th, 2006, 11:26 PM   #13
McDude

Likes (Received): 4

crime will be back on the rise, gentrification will be dead by 2010. -- coming from a police officer
McDude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2006, 10:46 PM   #14
urban_addict
Craving density 24/7

hopefully not in a nuclear holocaust...

if not in one, Chicago will have a population of 3.5 million, a new supertall, a developed South Loop and i'll be the newest starchitect.
urban_addict no está en línea   Reply With Quote