daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > Midwest and Plains > Local Forums > Chicago

Chicago » Projects and Construction | Infrastructure & Transportation

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 25th, 2006, 07:08 AM   #1
chikid

Likes (Received): 11

Chicago Alumni Bars

Okay I can't help but see so many Alumni bars around Chicago. I just turned 21 so I am not as familiar with them. So here are three questions that I need to ask:

1. Which University is dominating the Alumni Bar scene?

2. Which one is very underepresented?

3. Which is your favorite bar for each Big Ten School?

Here are my answers:

1. Ohio State! Whoa, like there are so many of these around. I guess since they are so superior in athletics it makes sense, also since the university itself has such a huge student population, which means more alumni to spread the world. Michigan is a good second, and Iowa takes a third.

2. For being in Illinois I rarely see Illini bars. Maybe I haven't looked well enough but they do not seem to be around. Also Indiana Unviersity is rare as well which is surprising because it is almost just as close to Chicago as UIUC is.

Ohio State: The one on Webster is really good.

Michigan: Haven't been to one

Michigan State: I know the one on Lincoln by Fullerton and Halsted is supposed to be good.

Iowa: Went to one in Wirgleyville, can't remember the name, but on Clark close to Addison.

Illinois: Haven't been to one.

Wisconsin: Haven't been to one.

Purdue: Have never seen one.

Northwestern: Where is there one?

Indiana University: Haven't been to one.

Penn State: Must be a rarity in Chicago.

Minnesota: Eh
chikid no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old October 25th, 2006, 07:52 AM   #2
DeMaFrost

Location: Too North for Lakeview, too east for Roscoe Village
Likes (Received): 1

Michigan State: Gin Mill on Lincoln Ave might be the best, Tin Lizzies I believe is also a MSU bar

Michigan: Duffy's on Armitage and I want to say east of Halsted is where I usually go for the game, also Mad River on Sheffield and Diversey is a newly crowned Michigan Bar

Ohio State: Mickey's in Lincoln Park, and I believe its Casey Morans in Wrigleyville are OSU bars

Northwestern: The bars in Evanston

Illinois: Crush.. can't remember where its at

(Away from the Big 10)

Texas: There is a bar on Lincoln and I think Grace that is a huge Texas bar...can't remember the name

Alabama: I believe there is a Bama bar in Wrigleyville

I'm not sure for the other ones, but I know that Wrigleyville seems to have some sort of thing where all the bars on the Clark Ave. strip have designated a Big 10 school as their own...so if all else fails, check there. I'm pretty sure I've seen flags for every Big 10 school besides NW up there.
DeMaFrost no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:01 AM   #3
mohammed wong

Likes (Received): 10

in general are these post frat boy hell bars?
mohammed wong no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 04:30 AM   #4
chikid

In general I don't believe so. Some might be, but they most certainly bring a sense of community for some. If there is a big Illini game, where do u think it would be funner to watch the game at a regular bar, or an Illini bar where there are alumni just like you, being passionate about their school? It's not for everybody, but they are nice to have though.
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:25 AM   #5
PrintersRowBoiler

Purdue has a great one - Durkins on Diversey (just west of Halsted). On gameday, they have specials and the place is always packed. Kyle Orton was there for the ND game. Most of the guys I know that go there are not frat boys.

Duffys is actually on Diversey and just west of Sheridan. It is a great bar (Michigan) - good food and drink specials. Although it is a Michigan bar, hardly anyone who goes there went to Michigan - it is just a good bar.
PrintersRowBoiler no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 05:27 AM   #6
PrintersRowBoiler

Gamekeepers on Armitage and Lincoln is the Georgetown bar. I have been there on gameday (when Georgetown was cruisin in the NCAA tourney) and it was not that exciting. Every time I have been there the waitresses have been dousches.
Old October 26th, 2006, 08:49 AM   #7
forumly_chgoman
BANNED

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohammed wong View Post
in general are these post frat boy hell bars?
Yes...pretty much ....uggha...uggha.....

What I simply do not get is the propensity for Big Teners to accumulate in such numbers in such numbing places...

that was College...Get Over It
forumly_chgoman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2006, 11:29 PM   #8
Chicago103

Likes (Received): 4

UIC; alot of the same bars that people went to as students in the Little Italy area, I know alot of alumni like myself that pretty much stayed in the area after graduation. So we are not transplants to the city like the people in the other alumni bars, for us its about the college and post college hang out places pretty much being the same places.
Chicago103 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2006, 02:59 AM   #9
chikid

why do I sense some hostility towards these bars? Really if you don't like then don't go to them. This thread was to point out what your favorite ones are. This thread wasn't made to ask what your opinion is of Alumni bars and the people that go to them. I thought it would be a cool idea since Big Ten schools have this special type of culture and similarities when it comes to Athletics, Student Body, Academics and so forth. Big Ten schools seem to have a lot more in common with each other than other conferences. If you don't like the drunken frat boys that go to these bars, then thats nice, but this is not what the topic is about.
Old October 27th, 2006, 03:52 AM   #10
PrintersRowBoiler

forumly... did you go to a big 10 school. it is not about getting over it. a lot of times, our team is not on regular tv or cable and we need to go to the school bar to catch the game. if you went to a big 10 school, game day is a way of life. from the time you wake up to the teim you stumble home. it is why i chose to go to a big 10 school over schools like UIC or marquette. if you go to a place like durkins and duffys when it is not game time, hardly anyone there went to the affiliated school. (if they did, it is usually a coincidence). chicago103, you should not have to apologize for going to college bars, although you are kind of taking a shot at people that go to "college bars" that dont live near them. i get that same shit from UIC people all the time... makes me feel like maybe there is an inferiority complex there. personally, i think it is lame when people go out of their way to go to the SAME college bar they went to in college... at least places like durkins and duffys arent STUDENT bars but alumni bars.
Old October 28th, 2006, 01:01 PM   #11
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Have to plead ignorance on the subject, but just out of curiosity....I've passed a bar (I believe on Armitage, due east of Lincoln...but I'm not 100% certain) that flies the pennants of all 11 conference schools.

If someone could fill me in on this: what's the place's name and is it a general, generic B10 bar?
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 07:28 PM   #12
Chicagoago

Likes (Received): 1451

I've been to the following IOWA bars in lakeview/lincoln park...

Four Shadows

Big City Tap

John Barleycorn

Merkles

Bourbon

Sedgwicks

Goodbar

Gaslight
Chicagoago no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2006, 08:04 PM   #13
edsg25
BANNED

Likes (Received): 105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoago View Post
I've been to the following IOWA bars in lakeview/lincoln park...

Four Shadows

Big City Tap

John Barleycorn

Merkles

Bourbon

Sedgwicks

Goodbar

Gaslight
Must be the North Side verison of the Coralville Strip.
edsg25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote