daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Los Angeles > Los Angeles forums > Transportation-Infrastructure

Transportation-Infrastructure All about Bridges, Subways and Urban Transport, Railways, Maritime, Freeways and Highways » Aviation

Old May 10th, 2007, 08:45 PM   #1
dweebo2220
city driver

Likes (Received): 1

New Metro Rapid Lines ??

Does anyone have any info on when the new rapid lines are going to be unveiled?

There has been one planned for Sunset for a long time now and I'm starting to get pissy...
dweebo2220 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 10th, 2007, 10:26 PM   #2
godblessbotox
la is pritty

Likes (Received): 5

they mention the phases here: around page 6 ...and 23
http://www.metro.net/images/Demonstr...m%20Report.pdf

i dont know if it has any new lines that were not planed for when the report was made

also the 714:
http://www.metro.net/images/741_map.pdf

me+flickr=joy
godblessbotox no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM   #3
LAsam
Endless summer

Likes (Received): 0

Looking forward to the SaMo line!
LAsam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:40 AM   #4
Reluctantpopstar

And I can't wait for the Super Rapid Lines. Not sure when those are coming, but that's not something I made up. They're going to have even fewer stops than Metro Rapid lines and the routes will be numbered in the 900's.
Reluctantpopstar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:42 AM   #5
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

Location: Currently residing in the good Ol' IE until something else arises from the horizon.
Likes (Received): 36

A Super Rapid Line, Double damn.... Each stop must be about 2 miles apart!!!!

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Fern~Fern* no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:44 AM   #6
klamedia
Silver Lake

Likes (Received): 107

Just build trains already! The money they are spending on each bus and each operator is about the same anyway. Not to mention that unless these busses have wings they are going to be on the same road as the regular rapids, the locals, the limiteds and all of the numbskull drive alone auto drivers. This is insanity! But I guess we saved a few bucks, upfront.
klamedia no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

Location: Currently residing in the good Ol' IE until something else arises from the horizon.

I wonder if there going to use the new longer slinky buses on these new 900 routes?

~~By Fern to the Fern*
Old May 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM   #8
dweebo2220
city driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by klamedia View Post
Just build trains already! The money they are spending on each bus and each operator is about the same anyway. Not to mention that unless these busses have wings they are going to be on the same road as the regular rapids, the locals, the limiteds and all of the numbskull drive alone auto drivers. This is insanity! But I guess we saved a few bucks, upfront.
Come on.

You know that it's not the cost, it's the time. To build a rail line you'd have 4 years of EIR crap, 3 years of NIMBY crap, 10 years of building it, 5 years of waiting for it to open due to setbacks, etc. etc.

If we just started building only trains right now we'd have a completely unuseable city for at least 7 years!! Until the momentum is behind it, until the money is there, until we know that everyone will go along with it, I still believe that buses are the way to go.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 09:50 PM   #9
klamedia
Silver Lake

An all bus system is retarded! Name another city our size, our stature and our density that does it.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:13 PM   #10
Elsongs
"There It Is, Take It!"

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
Come on.

You know that it's not the cost, it's the time. To build a rail line you'd have 4 years of EIR crap, 3 years of NIMBY crap, 10 years of building it, 5 years of waiting for it to open due to setbacks, etc. etc.

If we just started building only trains right now we'd have a completely unuseable city for at least 7 years!! Until the momentum is behind it, until the money is there, until we know that everyone will go along with it, I still believe that buses are the way to go.
All things take time. The problem with Americans is that we seek instant gratification. The best things in life take time, the most worthless things you can get instantly. Think about it.

You say all this as if we don't even have a rail system. Unlike most of you newbs, I saw the entire Metro Rail system get built before my very eyes. It's more than worth it once each line opened.
Old May 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM   #11
dweebo2220
city driver

Quote:
An all bus system is retarded! Name another city our size, our stature and our density that does it.
No other city our size has had to deal with such a sudden, pressing need for transportation.

An all bus system, in the end, is of course retarded.

But once you get people on there, people with cash, people who realize that the buses do work okay, they'll start going "hey, buses are retarded! why don't we make some damn subways?" But before you do that, we'll be stuck in this "maybe we can sneak another rail line past them.." bs.

Many people in LA still think no one uses public transportation here.

All I'm saying, and please try to understand it, is that we won't be able to pay for the extensive train system we need until we get rapid lines everywhere and people realize that the transit lifestyle is possible in LA.
When we just open one rail line every 4 years or whatever it is, people will continue to feel like their neighborhood doesn't have public transportation.

I point to London again.. they have tons and tons and tons of buses. Everywhere. People take them. Our rapid lines are a joke compared to them. I think we need both an extensive bus system (ours is extensive, but I'm talking about real frequency.. I've waited half an hour on wilshire for the rapid bus twice. That is unnacceptable).

We can get people mobilized relatively cheaply by making the bus system attractive to the weekend traveller. Right now there's still too long of waits and not enough coverage (of rapid buses) to make personal-auto types take them seriously.

I think the urgency is too great to wait for rail lines at the current speed. Our traffic will become unbearable and too many issues will be forgotten while we reluctantly pay for a mediocre rail system. we need to get people to realize that they will have to ride public trans in the LA of the future. We need to do this VERY soon or else we will be screwed. We cannot build trains fast enough given our current budget in order to get people to realize this.
Old May 25th, 2007, 03:31 AM   #12
Fern~Fern*
Inquiry Within...

This Map got my attention, this is what members of the BRU here in Los Angeles would like to consider Rapid One~Ways. Since the Subway to the sea and other Trains won't be coming soon. This can really alleviate commutes for those who wish not to drive. Transit advocates should highly consider this proposal. Check it out!!!

~~By Fern to the Fern*

Last edited by Fern~Fern*; May 25th, 2007 at 03:37 AM.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:58 AM   #13
CarsonCaliBrotha

Actually, this is the official map. They're being implemented one by one. I can't wait til they bring out the Rapid version of Route 3 of the Torrance Transit. That'll be a Godsend.
CarsonCaliBrotha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2007, 02:52 PM   #14
klamedia
Silver Lake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dweebo2220 View Post
No other city our size has had to deal with such a sudden, pressing need for transportation.

An all bus system, in the end, is of course retarded.

But once you get people on there, people with cash, people who realize that the buses do work okay, they'll start going "hey, buses are retarded! why don't we make some damn subways?" But before you do that, we'll be stuck in this "maybe we can sneak another rail line past them.." bs.

Many people in LA still think no one uses public transportation here.

All I'm saying, and please try to understand it, is that we won't be able to pay for the extensive train system we need until we get rapid lines everywhere and people realize that the transit lifestyle is possible in LA.
When we just open one rail line every 4 years or whatever it is, people will continue to feel like their neighborhood doesn't have public transportation.

I point to London again.. they have tons and tons and tons of buses. Everywhere. People take them. Our rapid lines are a joke compared to them. I think we need both an extensive bus system (ours is extensive, but I'm talking about real frequency.. I've waited half an hour on wilshire for the rapid bus twice. That is unnacceptable).

We can get people mobilized relatively cheaply by making the bus system attractive to the weekend traveller. Right now there's still too long of waits and not enough coverage (of rapid buses) to make personal-auto types take them seriously.

I think the urgency is too great to wait for rail lines at the current speed. Our traffic will become unbearable and too many issues will be forgotten while we reluctantly pay for a mediocre rail system. we need to get people to realize that they will have to ride public trans in the LA of the future. We need to do this VERY soon or else we will be screwed. We cannot build trains fast enough given our current budget in order to get people to realize this.
This is stupid!
1000 new busses = 1000 new drivers
1000 new train cars (6 car heavy rail)=166.6 new drivers
For example:
let's say the bus and train car are the same capacities,
100 people to each bus = 100 people to 1 driver
100 people to each train car = 600 people to 1 driver

Drivers don't drive for free.........More drivers means more pay which means......

Bus dominant systems are inherently a failure for a city this size and this density.

Who's behind the BRU?
Car and oil lobbies.
Why?
What do busses need to run?
Oil/Fuel

Funny how the BRU is fighting for the same ideology that the car and rubber companies fought for when the replacing of streetcars with autobusses began as well as the same racist ideology as Hancock Park and Beverly Hills when opposing subways in the 60's. The mantra 'let them ride busses'.

The BRU is part of the matrix!

How do you get people to continue to buy cars and not become some place like New York City where a car is of little to no use because their is a grade seperated train at your convenience?
Use a bus dominant system that even in rush will never defeat the convenience of single private car use. In other words keep the poor trapped on slow ass busses following the Hummer in front of it. Also, bus lanes still have to allow cars to turn right and have to stop at red lights, I mean unless you're now talking about an even more stupid ass strategy of making grade seperated bus lanes>>>>>>>>>>

Clearing away row's so that low capacity busses can run on them when you could have had a higher capacity mode of transit like LR or HR is completely insane!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yet it was done w/ the Orange Line.

Your argument of 'buy busses to prove that trains are more effective' is equally insane and is actually our current situation but for some reason you just aren't getting it.

Stop being a defeatist and saying what can't happen and begin to push for what should happen, if not for ourselves for the citizens who will be living here long after we are gone! "Dweeb" their is no other way to spin this issue, LA is in need of rail ......

I realized what NYC would feel like if it were LA w/ a bus dominant system when their was the blackout of '03. I train ride that takes 45 minutes from Brooklyn to Uptown Manhattan took me close to 2 1/2 hours on the bus.

Last edited by klamedia; May 25th, 2007 at 05:03 PM.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:20 PM   #15
dweebo2220
city driver

Klamedia-

I'm extremely happy that you are this passionate about this. We need more people who are crazy stand-on-the-soap-box orators.

I agree with you completely that LA needs trains. I am just afraid that we won't be able to build them before our city collapses. Stuff is too expensive today..

How do you feel about the fare increases? I think it will definitely help fund the new rail lines. However, I honestly think that by the time a good rail system is developed, LA will have become completely de-industrialized (LA is currently the major industrial city of America) except for the port, maybe? Fare hikes and rising rents will completely drive the working class out of this metro area. Either they'll live like squatters in desert camps that look like something from Terminator 2 or Running Man, or they'll move back to the third world and live in complete polluted poverty.

Maybe we can fund the rail lines and then make affordable housing and bring them back? For some reason I don't think that'll happen. If rail was not so fucking expensive, I wouldn't make the case that it's classist. But it is super fucking expensive.

I think we are on the verge of our own de-industrialization (just like every other major city in the history of the world) and I think that's frightening. LA is the largest point of entry of immigrants to America. It's where the low-paying urban jobs are. America was founded on immigrants and I'll be sad if LA becomes just another exclusive provincial Paris, NY, etc.

Our nation imports more and more each year. From China. Which is ruining the world with pollution and poor standards.

We need to keep labor here. We need to think about sustaining the local work force. If we put it off until later, it will be too late.
Old May 25th, 2007, 05:24 PM   #16
dweebo2220
city driver

One thing I thought of.. Are there any cities in the world that are primarily industrial that have an extensive rail system? What cities are they? Moscow? Is that primarily industrial? We might be able to take cues from them (how they've paid for it, etc.)
Old May 25th, 2007, 06:14 PM   #17
croyboy

Likes (Received): 8

Quote:
Also, bus lanes still have to allow cars to turn right and have to stop at red lights, I mean unless you're now talking about an even more stupid ass strategy of making grade seperated bus lanes>>>>>>>>>>
our at-grade light rail stops on red lights too. know that traffic in los angeles will never ever get better. traffic in new york hasn't gotten any better even though transit ridership is high and continues little by little gaining more riders.

any capacity will be used to the max. just because a train is built down a street doesn't mean the street wll clear up any even though the train has gained riders.

however, the trains do need to come now to prevent our streets from widening to the same width as a freeway. and adding lanes is less practical than building a train down the street in terms of money, capacity, and speed, we all know that.

a train will generate money after it's built. an extra lane will gain nothing. maybe a little if it's toll, but los angeles doesn't do that.

like klamedia said, a train will seat 300 to 600 people. a lane of the same length of a train will seat 5 to 10 (givin that the average amount of people in a car in los angeles is one person).

a train will travel 20 to 40 mph at-grade to 60 mph separate-grade. a car will travel on average 2 to 6 mph during rush hour to 20 mph during non-peak hours. freeways about 65 to 75 mph during non-peak hours.

busses do need to stay though. even if we had a subway to the beach, busses need to travel down the same path. like others have said before, it's so everywhere in that 1 to 2 miles between stations will be served. it's a service and especially helps out the elderly or anyone with difficulty as a pedestrian from traveling on foot a greater distance than is comfortable for them. and besides that, it's always safe to have a backup system incase we have blackouts. busses will still be able to run on gas/electricity/water or whatever incase a grid failure occurs.
Old May 25th, 2007, 07:11 PM   #18
dweebo2220
city driver

I don't think anyone was advocating widening the streets. That would be impossible..

I keep looking at that rapid bus map. WHY IS THE SUNSET LINE NOT UP AND RUNNING YET!!
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #19
klamedia
Silver Lake

Budget deficit maybe? I don't know. I've said this before and I will say it again, what LA has done and is planning to do regarding rail and bus is quite ambitious for an American city under this administration. If LA implemented just half of Damien's map along w/ the existing rail that we now have and the 2 that are to open in a couple of years paired up w/ our the bus system including all of the proposed Rapids, this city would be only 2nd to NYC if that in its modal dexterity. No one is saying get rid of busses. Not even put a moratorium on bus purchases. It's funny how the BRU tries to pit bus against rail(the old tactic of the car/oil industry and the then racist westside) showing their naitivety, ignorance and covert disdain for poor people getting ahead when these two modes work beautiful together. W/ BRT's, Rapids, express, locals etc. coupled w/ let's say just the bare minimum of 10 new rail lines including extensions this city would be the envy of the US.

My 10 dream rail lines and lines that I think will be next (whether I like them or not):
Extension of Purple Line to Ocean
Downtown Connector
Expo to Ocean
Gold Line to Azusa
Crenshaw Corridor Line
Silver/Sunset Line
Purple/Red Line extension into E. LA
Green Line up Lincoln to SaMo or Venice
405 Line/BRT
Harbor Transitway/LAX express line

Does anyone want to make t-shirts touting better transit/more rail? Damien are you planning a t-shirt campaign?
Old May 25th, 2007, 10:23 PM   #20
croyboy

Likes (Received): 8

not impossible to widen streets. santa monica blvd on the west side has been widened enough to fit part of the 5 freeway within it's sidewalks.

widening streets for buss lanes is mostly what people have been suggesting. the county has been adding lanes for busses lately (110, 10, etc.). a bus lane like those along the 10 or 110 might as well be rail since the distance between stops is rail-like.

rail does take longer to support, fund, and build, but it is the smarter way to go in the long run and then the busses should come so as to work in cordination with the rail stations.

btw, is venice blvd planned for a rapid?