daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > Metropolis & States > Seattle

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:35 AM   #1
blackc5

Likes (Received): 8

King County Plans for Seattle Center

Article and images here: http://www.crosscut.com/real-estate/...eattle+Center/

What do you guys think? Im not a basketball fan myself, so indifferent personally about the Sonics, although I do generally think Seattle keeping them is a good idea. That said, this sounds like a pretty interesting, and complex, plan should the Sonics leave.

Last edited by Bond James Bond; October 12th, 2007 at 08:19 AM. Reason: forgot the 'l' in 'url'
blackc5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 12th, 2007, 05:31 AM   #2
dhuwman
BANGED

Likes (Received): 2

I like keeping Key Arena there.
"The smart way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of acceptable opinion, but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - even encourage the more critical and dissident views. That gives people the sense that there's free thinking going on."

-Noam Chomsky-
dhuwman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 05:07 PM   #3
SeattleRising

Likes (Received): 0

I'm wary of these "all open-space is sacred" types that want to bulldoze some 70% of the Center to make it a big lawn (big yawn). The Center has to attract activity in order to pay for itself and be a desirable place to be. That requires more than just theaters that people only go to at night.
SeattleRising no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 08:59 PM   #4
pwright1

Likes (Received): 167

I love it and think its a great idea. What downtown needs is much more green space and its the perfect location. MOST of what we have there now is an embarrassment to the citizens of this city, and the visitors who come from all over.
pwright1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:27 PM   #5
jessejb

Likes (Received): 216

Im all for turning parking lots and dead zones into green area..thatll be great.

But not everything has to be serious and completely adult oriented. We've got a youth that needs something to do in the city, too.. I know they want to leave some youth-oriented stuff there but come on..leave the ferris wheel, kids' rides, games, etc. Keep some character...some soul...something fun to do on whim that doesn't involve having to sit in a restaurant or on a park bench. I cant even tell you how much fun I have with out-of-towners when I take them on those rickety old rides! haha

Last edited by jessejb; October 12th, 2007 at 09:38 PM.
jessejb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 09:52 PM   #6
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 273

I think there are plans for a skate boarding park within Seattle Center (displaced with the planned Gates Foundation project). I like this idea of bulk green space better than the pocket parks. And this can be a true destination for visitors accessible by monorail, bus, and soon trolley. Will that line be called the S.C.A.T? Seattle Center Access Trolley?
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:12 PM   #7
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

I think it's a step in the right direction. The Seattle Center could be a fantastic open space and really vault Lower Queen Anne into an absolutely stunning neighborhood.

That said, much of this stuff is classic Seattle! I love the rickety old rides and I love that it's the only place I've been to where you can walk by a stadium filled with basketball fans, across a large lawn to see an opera. Such an incredible diversity of people.

I like the streetcar link idea, and the water drainage plan, and what it would do for Uptown. I wouldn't mind Memorial Stadium going away for an amphitheater, I wouldn't mind Key Arena relocating, but Fun Forest should probably stay.

I wouldn't mind this proposal though, Seattle needs a Central Park.
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:24 PM   #8
jessejb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityView Jim View Post
I think there are plans for a skate boarding park within Seattle Center (displaced with the planned Gates Foundation project). I like this idea of bulk green space better than the pocket parks. And this can be a true destination for visitors accessible by monorail, bus, and soon trolley. Will that line be called the S.C.A.T? Seattle Center Access Trolley?
Skagit Transit is already "SKAT" and its advertised all over!
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:11 AM   #9
CityView Jim

Likes (Received): 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessejb View Post
Skagit Transit is already "SKAT" and its advertised all over!
SLUT II ?
CityView Jim está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 12:36 AM   #10
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 44

I like open space/green space and all, but this is too green/open I think. Everything has been mowed down but the memorial stadium and tiny buildings on the edge. There even look to be cows in the lower left of the image. The lawn isn't even sculpted enough (Asian or Euro) for being in the very core of an urban area.

Old October 13th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #11
jessejb

And second avenue north is a canal! Finally something novel! (=
Old October 13th, 2007, 01:32 AM   #12
blackc5

Likes (Received): 8

Generally agree mSeattle. I was pretty disappointed with that 'artist rendering'. It looks like something I could make in paint with a screen capture from local.live.com 3D...
blackc5 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 04:31 AM   #13
taiwanesedrummer36

I would like to see a major revamp of Seattle Center that turns it into an international destination. I propose:

1. Two to three new stadiums. Two stadiums could be used for sporting events, while the other stadium could be used as a fitness center and a concert/exhibition venue; kind of like a multi-use world trade center.

2. Underground parking/shopping. There would be about five levels of underground parking at select locations throughout the area, while the majority of that underground space would be reserved for two levels of premier shopping.

3. Renovate the Space Needle. I believe the Space Needle could be renovated to have a more "futuristic" look while maintaining its historic (original) image.

4. More green! Seattle Center could really be like Seattle's Central Park.

5. A mass-rapid transit line cutting through the Center. A surface light-rail line (to Ballard), and a streetcar line (to Waterfront and S. Lake Union) would cut through the center serving the center, showcasing probably the only mass-transit line to run right through a park.

That's all I can think of now..........
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2007, 06:25 AM   #14
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 115

Quote:
1. Two to three new stadiums. Two stadiums could be used for sporting events, while the other stadium could be used as a fitness center and a concert/exhibition venue; kind of like a multi-use world trade center.
Two to three???.... we already have two rather large ones down in pioneer square?... why three more up here? I could see a new one being used for basketball/hockey and an indoor concert venue, and then maaaaybe a smaller outdoor one for soccer, not sure what you mean by a fitness center staidum? you mean like a rec center?

Quote:
2. Underground parking/shopping. There would be about five levels of underground parking at select locations throughout the area, while the majority of that underground space would be reserved for two levels of premier shopping.
I'm all for the parking garage being underground, thats become a pretty Seattle thing, but why does the shopping have to be underground too? Still, yes, some shopping and food in the area would be cool.

Quote:
3. Renovate the Space Needle. I believe the Space Needle could be renovated to have a more "futuristic" look while maintaining its historic (original) image.
uhhh... what? I though the cool think about the space need is that it looks so retro. How would you want to make it more futuristic? And even after that, it's original image would be gone...

Quote:
4. More green! Seattle Center could really be like Seattle's Central Park.
Totally agree. With more and more people living downtown, we need a good well used HUGE park.

Quote:
5. A mass-rapid transit line cutting through the Center. A surface light-rail line (to Ballard), and a streetcar line (to Waterfront and S. Lake Union) would cut through the center serving the center, showcasing probably the only mass-transit line to run right through a park.
That would definately be cool to have ST3 go through the seattle center on its way to ballard. And also, we have a couple trolley lines already buzzing through the area (the Slut, and the waterfront line), wouldnt be too hard to have a connector.
Old October 13th, 2007, 11:37 AM   #15
PDXPaul

We need more large open space, pocket parks are not useful. I'm generally supportive of this direction.
PDXPaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 05:26 AM   #16
sequoias

I love that idea. We really need a huge park nearby downtown, not miles away from downtown like Washington Park. It will keep many neighbors happy just cause they can just take a nice stroll thru the park or take their kids to a big play ground and many other park activities, too.

On the other note, I'm kinda dissappointed with the artist's rendering, but hey it is a rough draft so maybe there will be a better rendering in the next revision.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:03 PM   #17
JasonB52
Pokémon Master

Likes (Received): 10

That "Rendering" looks horrible. I would hope Ron Sims didn't actually pay someone to do that... Here are a few of my thoughts:

I'd like to see some additional green space at the Seattle Center, but the Center also needs to attract new economic activity to really have it be an effective use of the space. A big amphitheatre would be really cool. Just think of the atmosphere of watching a show and seeing the Space Needle looming overhead. If you put it fairly close to the EMP, you create a really excellent music mecca. That's an Idea that could probably be developed even beyond that.

As far as green space goes, I don't know how the topography would allow this, but I'd like to see a large pond that collects rainwater. I think my favorite parts of central park in New York are the ones in close proximity to water. Surround the pond with some woodland areas and you create a more cozy, natural space in the middle of the city.

The article above alludes to Millennium Park in Chicago. It's really spectacular, though to a large extent, the situations are very different.

And no messing with the Space Needle, that is blasphemy as far as I'm concerned. I love the retro look.
JasonB52 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 04:40 AM   #18
citruspastels

Likes (Received): 3

I think Seattle Center should essentialy be a mix of 3 things-

1) Seattle's Central Park with King County's plan for a waterway and tons of open green space. Seattle's Downtown/Lower Queen Anne needs a place like this something fierce.

[img]http://www.*******************/north-america/us/new-york/images/s/new-york-central-park.jpg[/img]

2) Seattle's Millenium Park with a beautiful amphitheater to replace Memorial Stadium, and plenty of public sculpture.

3) Seattle's Seattle Center! Keep the most essential elements- Space Needle, Pacific Science Center, International Fountain, Center House, McCaw Hall, EMP, Monorail... ect. Keep fun forest too! Just make it all more inviting and integrated with the neighborhood around it.

Bringing the streetcar there is an awesome idea too.

Last edited by citruspastels; October 15th, 2007 at 07:36 AM.
citruspastels no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2007, 02:57 PM   #19
Nutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by citruspastels View Post

I think Seattle Center should essentialy be a mix of 3 things-

1) Seattle's Central Park with King County's plan for a waterway and tons of open green space. Seattle's Downtown/Lower Queen Anne needs a place like this something fierce.

[img]http://www.*******************/north-america/us/new-york/images/s/new-york-central-park.jpg[/img]
Like mow down the entire Lower Queen Anne district, and turn it into a contiguous park extending from Seattle Center all the way out to the sea. Maybe even extend it to Lake Union in the other direction.
Nutterbug no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2007, 12:22 AM   #20
taiwanesedrummer36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutterbug View Post
Like mow down the entire Lower Queen Anne district, and turn it into a contiguous park extending from Seattle Center all the way out to the sea. Maybe even extend it to Lake Union in the other direction.
How about something like Portland's North and South Park Blocks? Imagine green space covering an entire block from Seattle Center to possibly Capitol Hill and from Downtown to SLUP (South Lake Union Park) .
taiwanesedrummer36 no está en línea   Reply With Quote