SkyscraperCity Forum banner

PARIS | Metro

3M views 8K replies 522 participants last post by  Hourdel 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

See less See more
#3,248 ·
^^
Here is how I envision rolling stock around 2025.

MF 77:
I would guess that by 2025, it is time to replace the MF 77, yes?

MP 89CC:

MP 89CA: ? ? ? ? ?

MF 01:

& perhaps

MP 05:

MP ??:

& possibly some to
for reinforcement

totally up in the air depending what the RATP & STIF do with the rubber rails.

#3,250 ·
^^
But according to the French Wiki, the automation project is on hold indefinitely due to costs, meaning it may not happen for a while. I will take it that it is not too long of a delay, but it could also mean it could be a delay of 10 to 15 years.

Après la ligne 1 , l'automatisation de la ligne 4 fut à l'étude mais, à cause des coûts, l'automatisation est pour le moment abandonnée.
When translated to English

Following the commissioning of the line 14 in 1998, RATP planned automation of the pipe lines 1, 4, 6, 7, 9 and 13 in 2050. After Line 1 , automation of line 4 was being considered but, because of costs, automation is currently abandoned.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ligne_4_du_métro_de_Paris

Should Line 6 be converted before Line 4 does, the MP 89CA could go there, but the trains would have to be shortened.

#3,251 ·
I really should read wikipedia more before posting here :p

If line 6 gets automated before line 4 though, I doubt they would send the MP89CA's over there as I have my doubts wether shortening the MP89CA trains is economically viable at this point in their lives (ofcourse if you can just take one carriage out without having to modifiy the whole train, this doesn't apply). Lengthening the platforms is also an option, but could be quite tricky as part of line 6 is above ground, and I highly doubt this would be cheaper than modifiying the MP89CA trains (depending on the extent of modifications required).
My conclusion is that for line 6, they will likely order some sort of shorter MP05 derivative (possibly with driver, depending on when the line gets automated).

#3,253 ·
^^ unless it makes more economical sense to scrap them for parts (ie: spares for the existing MP89 trains).
The same thing happens in the aviation industry where sometimes 5 year old planes (which is very young for an aircraft) get scrapped (the correct term is actually parted out, but you get my point) because they are worth more in parts than they are as a functional aircraft.

Edit: that train looks very ... Windowy
Edit 2: it looks more like a long term line 4 replacement, since it is pictured in what is clearly Cité station.

#3,254 ·
^^ unless it makes more economical sense to scrap them for parts (ie: spares for the existing MP89 trains).
The same thing happens in the aviation industry where sometimes 5 year old planes (which is very young for an aircraft) get scrapped (the correct term is actually parted out, but you get my point) because they are worth more in parts than they are as a functional aircraft.
I was not thinking of that.

I cannot confirm anything that is said of a early retirement of the MP 89CA. However, it is pretty much anyone's guess at this point. We don't even know what rolling stock is replacing the MF 67 on the other lines yet.

I even hear through the Symbioz forums that the replacement of the MF 88 by MF 67 sets from Line 2 was cancelled.

#3,256 · (Edited)
^^
There is no MP 09, it probably will be called something like MP 13 or MP 14. Depending what year the plans are officially released.

But yes, it is mentioned on the Symbioz thread that it may be something of a concept for this new stock.

The thing I don't like is that the seating is too reminiscent of the older stock trains. But of course, this is just a concept illustration.

#3,257 ·
Wikipedia called it the MP09, so I somewhat assumed that was already set as a name.
I quite like the fact that they have both regular seating and longitudinal seating though. Then again, one may wonder why normal seating is needed in urban rapid transit lines (exceptions are the Metropolitan and Central lines in London which branch out far into the countryside). I mostly wonder what they will put on the seats though, the seats on the new rolling stock for the Brussels subway for instance are just a hard plastic which is very uncomfortable to sit on, so I hope they don't use that.

#3,258 ·
^^
But the article & references were later removed from the French Wiki when it was realized that the rubber-tyred stock would not be planned in 2009. Thus, there is a new page on both the English and French wikis for a "MP NG", which is the rubber-tyred stock that was announced by the STIF. Again, it will probably end up being called the MP 13 or MP 14.

I don't think the RATP/STIF will go towards plastic seating. Good lord, I'll be pissed if they do that. The NYCMTA uses plastic seating on all their new stock and it's uncomfortable as hell. Longitudinal seating arrangement is another question. Minato mentioned that an all-longitudinal seating arrangement on Parisian trains is basically seen as negative and the RATP alone was not really willing to move forth with that concept. But perhaps the STIF managing all rolling stock transactions alongside the RATP may change that.