Seattle: 1200 Madison | 17 Stories | U/C

24K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  Seasun 
#1 ·
#60 ·
DJC:
February 10, 2012

Holland tops out First Hill tower
By JOURNAL STAFF
SEATTLE — Construction of Holland Partner Group's high-rise apartment tower on First Hill topped out yesterday, 10 months after work began, company officials said.

The 17-story tower has been renamed Coppins Well. It is at 1200 Madison St.

#63 ·
Sounds like some weird (for Americans) Welsh or English expression. Kind of like me learning to say "key" when I see the word quay.

Edit: If this is where they got it from I wasn't too far off: http://stjohnstreet.thornburyroots.co.uk/Water in Thornbury- the streams.htm

Still not a good name but I can understand developers are desperate for names if they don't want to use the address.

Edit2: So this looks like where the name is derived from (still not good):

http://www.historylink.org/index.cfm?DisplayPage=output.cfm&File_Id=3095
The Bubbling Forest

One quality that attracted the first settlers to their hill was that it bubbled. They moved over from the exposed Alki Point in 1852 both for the protected harbor of Elliott Bay and for the springs on First Hill. Even before his heroic clear-cutting of the hill, Seattle's first industrialist tapped its fresh water. Yesler collected the flow in a large cistern near the present site of City Hall Park. From there the hill's hydraulics was delivered along an elevated flume to his mill and to the few homes collected around Pioneer Place.

In 1875 -- years after Yesler had cleared First Hill of its forest -- the bridge builder Charles Coppin dug a six-foot wide well 135 deep at the southeast corner of 9th Avenue and Columbia Street. The spring Coppins tapped was capable of giving 900,000 gallons of "the finest quality water" every 24 hours. It was a prudent tap, for no one as yet needed 900,0000 gallons. When new, Coppin¹s pumping tower looked down on stump fields.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.