SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Seattle: 1200 Madison | 17 Stories | U/C

24K views 105 replies 31 participants last post by  Seasun 
#1 ·
#4 ·
First Hill apartment tower breaks ground Wednesday

Holland Partner Group will hold a groundbreaking ceremony at 10 a.m. Wednesday for its 237-unit apartment project on Seattle's First Hill.

http://www.djc.com/news/re/12028731.html

I think this new rendering looks much better than other renderings.

Is it this?

#7 ·
Out of curiosity, when has that ever happened? I'm not saying it won't be decent, I am just curious if anybody remembering a project where the fished building looked nicer than the rendering.

I think this apt. Building looks like an airport hotel.

#10 ·
Wow. You can tell this "beauty" was Seattlized into utter blandness. Just look at the lovely taupe and beige colour scheme, and the cheesy neoclassical moulding at the top. O, what an inspiring vision. Oh, well, at least it means more density in the city core. That's always a plus.

#11 ·
Yes... it was a Gaudi masterpiece worthy of Barcelona before the design review got a hold of it. And it's beigeness (otherwise known as 'brick') is burning a hole through my skull. Why not bright orange or neon green? CMon Seattle! We need every block to stand out like a unique snowflake!

#16 ·
But it isn't really simple, to me at least. To me, simple is sleek and minimalist, like the Aspira--this bland, beige, boring behemoth has that silly, corny, cutesy moulding at the top, as if they architects are trying to say, "Oh, look. We're trying to be kind of traditional and quaint", but it ends up looking like the detailing on some bourgeois suburban cookie cutter mega-mcmansion. It reminds me of something designed by some 50-something golf player who lives in Sammamish, wears polo shirts, and has a timeshare in, like, Scottsdale or something. It's sooo boring and uninspired. Wow I can't believe I just said all that :lol:

#19 ·
Since it is a place for people on a fixed income, which you will learn to appreciate one day it provides a decent place to live near facilitiesthat might be required. There is a cost factor here that you don't want to price out this group of people. This being an urban area can handle functional mixed in with the more ummm unique designs. It is what gives a city character.........look at what some people feel about those cities (newer) that only have the latest and modern designs *cough* Dubai........some have been refered to as theme parks. IMO given what buildings are in the area (medical) it fits in nicely. You sure have an interesting perspective on the 50+ people..........:cripes:

#20 ·
I find the phrase "fixed income" kind of amusing. I've heard a senior lady in my building protest about an increase in monthly assessments claiming that she and her husband have a fixed income. The more I thought about it I came to think:
1) a lot of young and middle aged people are effectively on a fixed income or even having their income eroded by costs like employers passing on health care premiums that in years past we're completely covered by the employer. Some of us wish we had a fixed income!
2) seniors might be getting cost of living adjustments for Social Security or maybe defined benefit pension plans.

#22 ·
I understand about the eroding of benefits as we are getting a 2.9% salary decrease plus increased premiums on insurance. There are seniors who have done very well in their life financially and who in fact should not be eligible for Social Security because they have done so well. While there is a provisionfor COLA's there hasn't been one given since 2008. I wouldn't be surprised that the COLA feature isn't eliminated eventually.

#26 ·
You can't compare it to the exceptional craftsman towers from the early 20th century, people just don't build like that anymore. Instead, compare it to the other 15-20 story towers that went up in the past 10 years and you'll find that this tower, although not inspiring, has a very simple and timeless design. Very nice infill indeed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.