search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old February 23rd, 2007, 03:11 AM   #1
cooperman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 3

Ordsall

Hello all.

I'm seriously considering buying a place in Ordsall. The place I'm looking at is just off Ordsall Lane. I've heard some pretty bad stuff said about the place but also there seems to be a bright future as well.
Went for a drive around earlier, not much to see really. Lots of hoodies about but none of them looking too manacing, apart from that there was hardly anyone about.
Any forumers know much about the place? What it's like to live there now? Are the local youths much trouble?
Also any one know of any future development plans to go alongside the quay5 flats?

Any opinions/advice would be massively appriciated.

Cheers
cooperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM   #2
Isaac Newell
Registered User
 
Isaac Newell's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 12,962
Likes (Received): 57

There's a nice big mock tudor house that could be a good investment.
Isaac Newell no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 02:45 PM   #3
kebabmonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bolton/Salford
Posts: 1,406
Likes (Received): 2

Ordsall used to be Salford's problem child, but this dubious mantle has been passed on.

The area has really cleaned up in the past ten years or so.

Loads of positives for the place- you can walk to town, it's got a supermarket on its doorstep, as well as a retail park, you are on the Quay's doorstep, the tram stops at Exchange Quay.

Negatives will be your insurance premiums and living in an area with a reputation.

I'd say as long as you get a place on the fringe of Ordsall, you'll be alright.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:18 PM   #4
skit_uk
Towerholic
 
skit_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester UK, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,421
Likes (Received): 13

Hiya Cooperman

I own a flat in Ordsall. Not quay 5 but the older flats opposite Mcdonalds.

Lived here for 3-4 years and i enjoy living here. Close to town and i've never had any trouble on Ordsal lane. Your right about it seeming quite but then the new flats are only just starting to fill up. It's a lot busier than a couple of years ago and will only get better.
I have had a few problems with kids who knicked my flatmates motorbike wing mirror but the cars in the car park are generaly ok. No worse than any where else i've lived though.

As for other developments, well check out the Derwent street thread on this forum. That will be replacing the shuttered up single level industrial sheds, the ones next to Mcdonalds. LPC are building town houses at the back of Ordsal hall (next to Quay 5) The whole area across Ordsall lane from Quay 5 are in a zone which will prob be developed.
Ordsall is getting new super schools a new health center and the shocking "town" center is being destroyed. The whole estate is having millions spent on spanking the place up, they are going to open the estate up to reduce crime and integrate the estate with the surrounding areas. There's a whole load of developments in the center of ordsall and Trafford road.

There's a lot going on basically and if you interested i recomend you pop into LPC's funky looking marketing suit which is the showcase for the whole estate (LPC are doing a lot of work on the whole estate in partnership with SCC etc).

Finally, Ordsal lane is geting resurfaced next week and I think there were plans to line it with trees at some point.

Welcome
__________________
l]
skit_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 04:35 PM   #5
macc
Registered User
 
macc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,416
Likes (Received): 63

Quote:
Originally Posted by skit_uk View Post
Ordsall is getting new super schools a new health center and the shocking "town" center is being destroyed.
Is the 'town' centre still open, skit? Can you pinpoint it on a streetmap/google maps for me, please.
__________________
-
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:18 PM   #6
skit_uk
Towerholic
 
skit_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester UK, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,421
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Is the 'town' centre still open, skit? Can you pinpoint it on a streetmap/google maps for me, please.
My pleasure

On the left is trafford road, the bottom is Ordsall lane and the top right road is Regent Road.
Blue is the Quay 5 development, Green is the Derwent street site and red is the 'Town Center'


Here you can see the shops which are half demolished at the moment (red section) the blue bit is i think the health center which is also due to be replaced. I have to be honest i don't know what is going in this site.

Also the school (the grassy bit) opposite the health center is i think going as well to be replaced with a super school on Trafford road at the UPC church (spelling?)
__________________
l]
skit_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:34 PM   #7
cooperman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skit_uk View Post
Hiya Cooperman

I own a flat in Ordsall. Not quay 5 but the older flats opposite Mcdonalds.

Lived here for 3-4 years and i enjoy living here. Close to town and i've never had any trouble on Ordsal lane. Your right about it seeming quite but then the new flats are only just starting to fill up. It's a lot busier than a couple of years ago and will only get better.
I have had a few problems with kids who knicked my flatmates motorbike wing mirror but the cars in the car park are generaly ok. No worse than any where else i've lived though.

As for other developments, well check out the Derwent street thread on this forum. That will be replacing the shuttered up single level industrial sheds, the ones next to Mcdonalds. LPC are building town houses at the back of Ordsal hall (next to Quay 5) The whole area across Ordsall lane from Quay 5 are in a zone which will prob be developed.
Ordsall is getting new super schools a new health center and the shocking "town" center is being destroyed. The whole estate is having millions spent on spanking the place up, they are going to open the estate up to reduce crime and integrate the estate with the surrounding areas. There's a whole load of developments in the center of ordsall and Trafford road.

There's a lot going on basically and if you interested i recomend you pop into LPC's funky looking marketing suit which is the showcase for the whole estate (LPC are doing a lot of work on the whole estate in partnership with SCC etc).

Finally, Ordsal lane is geting resurfaced next week and I think there were plans to line it with trees at some point.

Welcome
Cheers Skit, I'm almost decided now...
one other question, where do you go for a jar? Only saw one pub, the Bricklayers arms... what that like? Having a good local is vital to me.
cooperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:38 PM   #8
macc
Registered User
 
macc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Manchester
Posts: 2,416
Likes (Received): 63

Great stuff! I couldn't have asked for a better description.

I need to go and have a wander around the place before it gets all 'posh'. I've only been once and that was 18 months ago. I'm not familiar with most of Salford and I like to see things in their 'before' state as well as post redevelopment.

I'd be too scared to get photos in the darkest depths of Ordsall though. Unless I took them all from the waist, but even that may be pushing it.

nah, I'm sure its fine, really.
__________________
-
macc no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 05:56 PM   #9
skit_uk
Towerholic
 
skit_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester UK, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,421
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by macc View Post
Great stuff! I couldn't have asked for a better description.

I need to go and have a wander around the place before it gets all 'posh'. I've only been once and that was 18 months ago. I'm not familiar with most of Salford and I like to see things in their 'before' state as well as post redevelopment.

I'd be too scared to get photos in the darkest depths of Ordsall though. Unless I took them all from the waist, but even that may be pushing it.

nah, I'm sure its fine, really.
Funnily enough i took some photos of the shopping bit at about 3 in the mornng with my camera phone. No one about then. I did take an amusing photo of someones bike strung up from he shop awnings. I deleted the photos though cos they were'nt that interesting.

Cooperman, i haven't ventured into the Bricklayers arms. However a recent planning app was filed by then for some sort of conservetory extension, so maybe they are doing it up.

Personally i pop down into castlefield/liverpool road for a pint, not sure there is anything around your place however due to the fact that there is so much development there is bound to be stuff opening up nearby. The Derwent street development has retail and office on it's ground floor, so maybe a bar will open up there. Again the strip of land between Ordsal lane and the Irwell is desginated for Mixed use. And when (hopefully) we get the Irwel riverside Park then maybe well get a nice riverside pub with grassy lawns and punts on the river...............Sorry i'm day dreaming again
__________________
l]
skit_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:53 PM   #10
SleepyOne
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 3,091
Likes (Received): 1

http://www.salford.gov.uk/living/hou...generation.htm
__________________
Manchester Original Modern
SleepyOne no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM   #11
The Longford
Cowboy of Love
 
The Longford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: M20
Posts: 8,093
Likes (Received): 19

Its got better since Damien "only hurt his own and loved his mum" Noonan sadly passed away.
__________________
And how is that working out for you?
The Longford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 02:31 AM   #12
Irish Blood English Heart
Letting off the happiness
 
Irish Blood English Heart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Wherever I lay my hat
Posts: 5,783
Likes (Received): 376

What did he do there? Thought he lived (and worked) in Merseybank?
Irish Blood English Heart no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 03:26 AM   #13
cooperman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 107
Likes (Received): 3

that was his brother...
what a family
cooperman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM   #14
Ambitious Amoeba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 53
Likes (Received): 0

Ordsall's a fantastic investment. There's a few cards left up its sleeves to please the investors further. It can't be stressed enough how important this area is because it links the two sub-region CBDs, especially prescient in the wake of mediacity, part of which falls within Ordsall (in fact the whole of Salford Quays sits in the Ordsall ward, which is extraordinary, since so does a big chunk of the city centre). The redefinition of historic Ordsall - including Salford Lads and Girls Club - is also going to present new opportunities (bits of old Ordsall are very pretty and very centrally located, but currently difficult to access and suffer from some minor social ills).

The masterplan for the area was recently published by Central Salford, and it sees the road network improved massively to link it with surrounding areas better (including a reconfiguration of one of the main entrances onto The Quays). All the warehouses currently have either stated plans or ambitions to relocate and free up the waterside real-estate they currently occupy down one side of Ordsall Lane, which could end up as a very fashionable address. It'll be interesting how the waterside develops, ie whether they over-develop to get as many apartments as possible (like in the city centre) or whether they'll build back from the waters edge and create more significant and higher quality public space and improved vistas.

BTW large stretches of Ordsall Lane were double-yellowed this week, so expect match day parking to be even more manic. Also the demolition of half Ordsall precinct this week (yippee!!) has opened up new views of Beetham, which has a surprisingly open aspect from the junction of Phoebe Street and Robert Hall Street.

Last edited by Ambitious Amoeba; February 24th, 2007 at 04:41 PM.
Ambitious Amoeba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 12:56 PM   #15
skit_uk
Towerholic
 
skit_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester UK, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,421
Likes (Received): 13

Thanks for that AA, makes me even more please i bought here

YOu totally correct about the link between Manc and the quays, although of course Chester road seems to be more of a link at the moment. For Ordsall to succeed i think it's vital that pedestrian and public transport routes to link the two centers through Ordsall is essential. A riverside walkway and a pleasent thriving Ordsall lane would achive this i feel. Can you tell me what future there is for shops, restraunts, bars for residents around Ordsall lane? I know there is the sainsburys and a couple of fast food places, but they don't really add anything to the community which at the moment is purely residential?

One last thing. Is the developlent plan on the SCC website now?
__________________
l]
skit_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:08 PM   #16
Ambitious Amoeba
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 53
Likes (Received): 0

Couldn't tell you anything about retail and leisure, except what we know that mixed use developments are being encouraged by SCC on this corridor. It's becoming very clear atm that with the huge influx of people into the area, all parts of the infrastructure and economy are struggling to keep up. LPC is currently dealing with the development and planning of a new shopping centre. Anything's better than the current 'precinct' but I hope that they integrate it with the larger area and make it so that it isn't insular and dead at night (otherwise it will be blighted with the same problems as the old centre, just with prettier buildings). Sainsburys is a huge asset to the area (in terms of employment, choice and convenience etc), but it needs better integration with Regent Road streetscape, which itself is proposed to be 're-urbanised' under the URC plans. BTW the 'masterplan' is available for download from the Central Salford URC website, not the council website
Ambitious Amoeba no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 01:24 PM   #17
skit_uk
Towerholic
 
skit_uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester UK, Dhaka, Bangladesh
Posts: 1,421
Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambitious Amoeba View Post
Couldn't tell you anything about retail and leisure, except what we know that mixed use developments are being encouraged by SCC on this corridor. It's becoming very clear atm that with the huge influx of people into the area, all parts of the infrastructure and economy are struggling to keep up. LPC is currently dealing with the development and planning of a new shopping centre. Anything's better than the current 'precinct' but I hope that they integrate it with the larger area and make it so that it isn't insular and dead at night (otherwise it will be blighted with the same problems as the old centre, just with prettier buildings). Sainsburys is a huge asset to the area (in terms of employment, choice and convenience etc), but it needs better integration with Regent Road streetscape, which itself is proposed to be 're-urbanised' under the URC plans. BTW the 'masterplan' is available for download from the Central Salford URC website, not the council website

Thanks for that. Good to know were in safe hands by the way
__________________
l]
skit_uk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 09:46 PM   #18
dirtypoodle
M5, 6, 7 PM
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 57
Likes (Received): 0

well i thought i'd just drop by, its been a while and lo and behold a thread on my favourite topic

Hmmm it's certainly interesting to see how the areas developed over the last few years, I'm in the same flats as skit_uk. When i first moved here in 2000 for 37,000 you could see why the price of the flat was so low, gangs of feral youths roamed the streets, and my walk to work at the quays often passed off with incident (normally just shouting matches with the local kids), there were often car jackings at the junction of oldfield rd and regent rd .

However, and i can't stress this enough, the area has come a hell of a long way since then, i've not seen anything in the last four years (although a drunk bloke keeled over at a bus stop last saturday), credit must go to scc, the police and even the good old fashioned asbo.

Only a matter of time before the bricklayers arms is replaced by a cheese shop and delicatessan.
dirtypoodle no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 24th, 2007, 10:18 PM   #19
The Longford
Cowboy of Love
 
The Longford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: M20
Posts: 8,093
Likes (Received): 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypoodle View Post
credit must go to scc, the police and even the good old fashioned asbo.......
... and the good doctors at Jackson Memorial hospital in Miami who did their best to save afore mentioned Damien's life but unfortunately failed.
__________________
And how is that working out for you?
The Longford no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2007, 01:25 AM   #20
kebabmonster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Bolton/Salford
Posts: 1,406
Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Longford View Post
Its got better since Damien "only hurt his own and loved his mum" Noonan sadly passed away.
Think the Noonans were bad? Lol. Initials PM should be the biggest alarm bells, esp seen as he's back from July.
kebabmonster no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu