search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Manchester Metro Area

Manchester Metro Area For Manchester, Salford and the surrounding area.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 6th, 2009, 09:02 PM   #1001
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

moberly hall demo still going along, parts of the lower block have been removed.

mmu business school has several diggers on site still and looks to be all action. hoardings have been extended and replaced recently.

Sponsored Links
Old November 16th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #1002
Comdot
Taikun

Likes (Received): 28

just got a view of mmu business school from a high vantage point- oh my it is a hive of activity. there are about 29 container crates/ work cabins!! something like 5 excavators, a queu of dumper trucks and low loaders, cement mixer, dozens of workmen, piling rig, pile cages and a lot more. i think it could do with its own thread started.

i'll try to get a pic from the up one of the nearby buildings soon. you can't really see much activity from ground level as it's all fenced off.
Old February 13th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #1003
CDX
Keep Changing.

Likes (Received): 1

Tender for the Refectory/Moberly Tower, new 'Learning Commons' building:
Quote:
2010/S 30-042809

Title attributed to the contract by the contracting authority:

Learning commons new build project.

Short description of the contract or purchase(s):

The University is looking to appoint a suitably qualified contractor to undertake the design, construction and fit-out of a proposed multi-purpose study facility which will accommodate over 1 000 learning spaces within a mixture of open plan learning areas and a variety of group learning rooms.

The Gross Internal Floor area of the proposed building is approximately 5 800 sq.m. of which 4 600 sq.m. will be accommodated within an existing concrete frame which has been retained, following the demolition/strip out of the existing building.

Estimated value excluding VAT: 12 500 000 GBP.
http://www.staffnet.manchester.ac.uk...splay/?id=4970
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #1004
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3419

Does anyone have a copy of an overall masterplan for the University Campus? Presumably they're working to one.

The little square outside University Place looks like it's been designed for a new building to go on its south side on the green opposite the Museum and north of Brunswick Street and I wondered if this is right.
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #1005
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 28949

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherguevara View Post
Does anyone have a copy of an overall masterplan for the University Campus? Presumably they're working to one.

The little square outside University Place looks like it's been designed for a new building to go on its south side on the green opposite the Museum and north of Brunswick Street and I wondered if this is right.
Here? http://www.estates.manchester.ac.uk/.../CampusMap.jpg May be out of date. Don't think it is.

Also. http://www.estates.manchester.ac.uk/...orprojects.asp
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 22nd, 2010, 10:25 PM   #1006
jrb
10th February 2008

Likes (Received): 28949

David Ottewell

Quote:
NWDA’s £4m nuclear investment in Manchester

22nd February, 2010

The North West Development Agency (NWDA) is to invest £4.4million towards a £16million nuclear research centre in Manchester.

The announcement was made by Lord Mandelson today.

The Centre for Nuclear Energy Technology (C-NET), based an Manchester University, will build links with industry and support research and development in the nuclear sector.

It will create 22 new jobs and is expected to be worth more than £20million to the local economy.

NWDA chair Robert Hough said the money would help ensure the north west was ‘equipped with the skills’ to capitalise on a ‘key growth sector’.

And Phil Woolas – minister for the north west – said: “Nuclear power provides reliable, cost-effective and low carbon energy, and will play a vital role, alongside renewable and clean coal, in a secure energy mix for the future.”

It does seem odd that all this should be happening in Manchester – which declared itself the world’s first ‘nuclear-free city’ in 1980 thanks to the campaigning efforts of the late Bill Risby.

Nonetheless, both Labour and the Conservatives seem committed to nuclear energy being part of Britain’s future - and I suppose there is a difference between researching and producing nuclear power.
jrb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2010, 09:31 PM   #1007
guy debord

Likes (Received): 434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comdot View Post
moberly hall demo still going along, parts of the lower block have been removed.

mmu business school has several diggers on site still and looks to be all action. hoardings have been extended and replaced recently.
You can see my demolition pictures from the Moberly tower site here: http://davidoates.visualsociety.com/...25/demolition/
guy debord no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 25th, 2010, 04:50 PM   #1008
markydeedrop
John 3:16

Likes (Received): 3196

Funding package secured for Birley Fields campus

Manchester Metropolitan University’s Birley Fields campus in Hulme has been awarded grants worth £18.5m.

The campus, on a site once occupied by the Manchester Crescents high rise flats, has received £10m from the Higher Education Funding Council for England (Hefce), and a £8.5m grant from the Northwest Regional Development Agency (NWDA).

Manchester City Council has also formally transferred land worth a further £10m to the university to ensure the move.

Professor John Brooks, vice-chancellor of Manchester Metropolitan University, said: “The Birley Fields campus brings higher education right into the heart of the community, raising educational aspiration, boosting local business and providing new opportunities to access university knowledge and resources.”

The campus, projected to cost £150m in total, will house 6,000 staff and students in education, health and social care programmes and research, and could create more than 300 jobs and add £29.2m to the economies of Hulme and Moss Side.

Steven Broomhead, chief executive of the NWDA said: “The Birley Fields project will transform the way education is delivered in the region. The campus will be a true community affair with world class modern facilities to encourage opportunities for learning, create new jobs and improve the overall perception of the area.”

Sir Richard Leese, leader of Manchester City Council, said: “The confidence shown in this project by funding bodies, despite the current difficult economic climate, underlines its potential to deliver enormous benefits in terms of jobs, educational opportunities and community facilities."

http://www.crainsmanchesterbusiness....FREE/100329917
markydeedrop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 04:17 PM   #1009
nq

Again from the current Cube exhib, Sheppard Robsons learning commons build:

[IMG]http://i41.************/24ccf0w.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i44.************/1zps5ko.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/1621yte.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i40.************/icmrnb.jpg[/IMG]
nq no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2010, 08:29 PM   #1010
Cherguevara

Likes (Received): 3419

Does anyone know what's going behind it?
Cherguevara no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM   #1011
GShutty

Likes (Received): 4387

Thanks NQ, I've not been back to CUBE since I stopped working in the city centre.

I'm glad to see the square at the rear being reinstated. There are some cracking buildings there which deserve a suitable setting. The new building I understand will be an office block.

It seems relatively small and almost pointless in the greater scheme of things. I feel certain that this amount of office space could have been accommeodated elsewhere on the University land and hope that it doesn't detract from the larger said square, that has been created.
Old May 16th, 2010, 03:53 PM   #1012
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 7

I heard a rumour that the there was going to be a bridge linking the new learning facility with the library.

Looking at these plans though, maybe this is for the next phase where the spare land at the back of the new build will be?
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 05:24 PM   #1013
roobarb!

Likes (Received): 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by jozblade View Post
I heard a rumour that the there was going to be a bridge linking the new learning facility with the library.

Looking at these plans though, maybe this is for the next phase where the spare land at the back of the new build will be?
No bridge so far as I know. Open space becomes popular when the pennies get tight.
roobarb! no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 22nd, 2010, 09:11 PM   #1014
JohnnyLeigh

Likes (Received): 25

Don't know if this the appropriate thread or not but...
"New £3m visitor centre for Jodrell Bank Observatory"
won planning permission.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/m...er/8697251.stm
JohnnyLeigh no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2010, 12:30 AM   #1015
b4mmy
★★★

Likes (Received): 609

yes it's appropriate. See how it goes, might need a thread of its own. A surprising development I must say given that JB has been gradually fading away in recent years

from the BBC
b4mmy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 30th, 2010, 01:20 PM   #1016
jozblade
Unregistered User

Likes (Received): 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roobarb! View Post
No bridge so far as I know. Open space becomes popular when the pennies get tight.
Probably not correct. It wasn't the most reliable source that old me.
jozblade no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1017
CDX
Keep Changing.

Likes (Received): 1

New app,
Quote:
093418/FO/2010/C1
Chatham Building, Manchester Metropolitan University, Cavendish Street, Manchester. M15 6BR

Reconfiguration and refurbishment of Chatham Tower including re cladding and replacement of glazing, refurbishment of a retained plinth to the east of Chatham Tower, demolition of the existing undercroft and replacement with a new academic building together with access, servicing, public realm boundary treatments and associated works
CDX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:10 PM   #1018
flange

Likes (Received): 2785

Quote:
Ground broken on latest uni building

28 Jun 2010

Contractor Galliford Try has started construction of the new 123,500 sq ft Chemical Engineering Building for Manchester University.

The £30m project will be built in two phases and is part of the university's £650m estates redevelopment programme. The £16m first phase of the new building is due for completion in the autumn of 2011 on the corner of Booth Street East and Upper Brook Street.

The chemical engineering department at the university has 650 undergraduates and 130 taught masters students and this number is due to increase.

Prof Mike Sutcliffe, head of the school, said: "As one of a small group of elite chemical engineering departments within the UK, it is vital we have the facilities to match.

"Our broad research base in which engineers and scientists work seamlessly together enables us to study the design, operation and integration of different complex systems - particularly industrial, biological, and instrumentation - and apply chemical engineering in a 21st century context."

The new building was designed by Manchester-based architects Halliday Meecham. The practice has had 30 commissions in four years from Manchester University.

The rest of the project team is made up of quantity surveyors Gleeds, M&E consultants Jacobs Engineering UK, structural engineers WYG Engineering, project managers Davis Langdon, CDM Coordinators KOK and acoustic engineers Sandy Brown.
http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news...-building.html
flange no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:23 PM   #1019
Slow Burn
Consumed

Likes (Received): 7581

Why does the new refectory building look like it's hanging over the road??
Slow Burn no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:55 PM   #1020
hulmeman2

Likes (Received): 606

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Burn View Post
Why does the new refectory building look like it's hanging over the road??
'Cos it will!
hulmeman2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote