search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States > West Coast and Interior West > Local Forums > Seattle

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old July 12th, 2011, 10:11 AM   #1
mSeattle

Likes (Received): 555

Mayor and Council President announce package to support job creation in Seattle

Mayor and Council President announce package to support job creation in Seattle
http://www.seattle.gov

Seattle Mayor McGinn and Council President Richard Conlin today announced a regulatory reform package formed by a panel of developers, neighborhood activists, design professionals, labor leaders, and environmentalists to reduce regulatory burdens that hinder job creation. McGinn convened the panel as part of a broad City effort to spark innovation and entrepreneurial investment, and make it easier for businesses to be sustainable in Seattle.
mSeattle no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old July 12th, 2011, 05:54 PM   #2
LCIII

Likes (Received): 2703

It's a start! Hopefully the next Governor can make the state more attractive to big business by reducing the incredible tax burden on big business, thereby increasing job opportunities for state residents. But this certainly seems like a step in the right direction. I'll be interested to hear what all the specifics are as the final product is created.
LCIII no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:09 PM   #3
mSeattle

I don't know about big business in general. There is some big business (not necessarily big corporation) that I'd love for the state to help: construction/innovation in rail/train transportation, urban farming, innovative social finance organizations are a start.
Old July 12th, 2011, 11:41 PM   #4
LCIII

By big business I'm mostly interested in big businesses that we already have that I hope we can keep. We already pushed Boeing out- I don't want to see any of our other big fish going the same way.
Old July 13th, 2011, 12:20 AM   #5
mSeattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
By big business I'm mostly interested in big businesses that we already have that I hope we can keep. We already pushed Boeing out- I don't want to see any of our other big fish going the same way.
It's not likely that Boeing would have stayed given the kind of company it is, even with more perks. Seattle/Washington is on a different feeding tier in Capitalism than Chicago (corporate) or non-union states (manufacturing).
Old July 13th, 2011, 01:49 AM   #6
Joosanova
Resident Meteorologist

Likes (Received): 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCIII View Post
It's a start! Hopefully the next Governor can make the state more attractive to big business by reducing the incredible tax burden on big business, thereby increasing job opportunities for state residents. But this certainly seems like a step in the right direction. I'll be interested to hear what all the specifics are as the final product is created.
Well if the next governor is Rob McKenna I wouldn't hope for too much.
Old July 13th, 2011, 06:12 AM   #7
LCIII

Regardless, WA could have done more to keep Boeing and hopefully we don't lose another big fish anytime soon. WA is annually ranked low on business friendly lists that take into account among other factors taxes and state incentives. That's where we usually score low. I just hope that gets sorted out.
Old July 13th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #8
mSeattle

I don't know about that. These things can get over my head so I searched for information: http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/bp60.pdf

Washington State is listed at #11 and in the middle of the pack between "best" and "worst" whatever that actually means, if it means anything across the spectrum of types of business.

Maybe the climate in King County, Snohomish County or Seattle might be better or worse than the rest of the state.
Some states or cities likely just have better tax deals on certain industries or levels of business. I don't know.

I agree that states/cities just can coast and think that they can do nothing to attract/create/retain good business.

Last edited by mSeattle; July 13th, 2011 at 08:38 PM.
Old July 13th, 2011, 09:50 PM   #9
LCIII

That's just one of many, many rankings. This particular one is forgiving. But there are many that are not as positive for Seattle/Washington.
Old July 14th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
Sounder

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joosanova View Post
Well if the next governor is Rob McKenna I wouldn't hope for too much.
Right, because the Democrats in the legislature will block him from making the much needed reform we need. It is time we end the one party rule in this state. Time for a change instead of doing the same broken thing over and over and over...
Sounder no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2011, 06:36 PM   #11
mhays
Journeyman

Likes (Received): 2491

Picking a bad guy just to be contrary is a bad idea.
mhays no está en línea   Reply With Quote