daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Urban Spaces > Transportation

Transportation Trains, planes and automobiles.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 19th, 2017, 06:50 AM   #9761
Eco-rat

Likes (Received): 1084

But I assess value as true value - what difference does it make for my life.

If I lived in Cardinia Rd (West Pakenham):

-incredibly slow journey (less than 40km/h average)
-unreliable service
-extremely uncomfortable Siemens stock
-usually overcrowded in peak hour and standing to beyond Dandenong

It may well be a LOT cheaper than driving (kms, parking, tolls) but it is not a pleasant experience.

Compare with UK - or anywhere sensible really.

KJBrissy liked this post
Eco-rat no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 19th, 2017, 11:35 AM   #9762
John.S

Likes (Received): 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eco-rat View Post
But I assess value as true value - what difference does it make for my life.

If I lived in Cardinia Rd (West Pakenham):

-incredibly slow journey (less than 40km/h average)
-unreliable service
-extremely uncomfortable Siemens stock
-usually overcrowded in peak hour and standing to beyond Dandenong

It may well be a LOT cheaper than driving (kms, parking, tolls) but it is not a pleasant experience.

Compare with UK - or anywhere sensible really.
Why would anyone live in Pakenahm when they could live in Lara?

-Closer to the nice Beaches
-Some services run express to Footscray
-Comfortable V/Line stock
-Able to get a seat on most services

KJBrissy liked this post
John.S no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2017, 11:42 AM   #9763
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 484

Most people tend to stick to their own side of town, and Pakenham is probably one of the last frontiers of affordability for SE suburbs people most of whom are quite insular to their side of Melbourne.

Don't worry, I can't see the appeal of living in Pakenham or Cranbourne East or Clyde either. Apart from affordability there's nothing I can think of that's going for it.

Conveniently located for weekend getaways to Moe perhaps?

Eco-rat, HenryX liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 09:44 AM   #9764
cocotutch

Likes (Received): 28

Myki is Crap (TM)

Rant incoming.

I’ve had it with the utter sh*tpile that is Myki. For starters;

It’s 2018, and:

- We still can’t put our Myki in Android/Apple/Samsung/Google Wallet, and use our phones.

- Online Top-Ups still take 24hrs to complete.

- We don’t have an app to quickly check balance, available to us on-the-go.

- Selecting “No” on the Receipt page, STILL PRINTS ONE.

- The next-generation readers haven’t been fully unrolled.

- The next-generation top-up-machines haven’t been fully unrolled either.

- The readers and top-up machines at current, are unreliable at best, and often fail to perform the tasks they were designed for.

- The fare system still unfairly favours those coming in from far flung suburbs, and rips off customers only going a few stops. A variable cost system is still required and not implemented.

- The “Don’t Touch Off on Trams In Zone 1” suggestion is still a thing. It was only introduced as a way to mask how Dog slow Myki was with a bunch of people all trying to get off. Absolutely stupid.

- Ticket Thugs are still a thing. Yes, fare evasion is wrong, but IF WE GOT WHAT WE PAID FOR, it might not be so rife. These thugs also unfairly target concession holders.

—-

*breath*

The biggest irritation I have with this Dog system, is the processing time for Online Top-ups. 24 hours is far too long a processing time. It was 48 hours until last year, wasn’t it?

There have been times where I’ve gotten to the station, and the top up machines have been out of order when I need to top up. I’m not near a 7/11 or another station, so I usually need to give up and drive. I am definitely not the only one who deals with that. Not good enough.

-

Furthermore, it’s 2018, and we still can’t use our phones’ NFC chips to facilitate our Myki usage.

-

A person struggling with Shopping Bags trying to get two tram stops up a hill in the ‘Burbs should not pay $4.30. It should be charged via distance, and should always have been so.

-

Why are we continually handed the pointy end of the stick when it comes to our public transport infrastructure. I positively revel in going to other cities, barely speaking the language and having zero issues whatsoever.

The cost of Melbourne’s PT just keeps going up, and up. Trams are unbearably slow, and cars are prioritised over them. Trains are packed, with low frequency, and running on 150 year old Semaphore signalling systems.

We do not get what we pay for, and I’ve had enough.

-end rant

17 floors up liked this post
cocotutch no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 01:59 PM   #9765
PeFe

Likes (Received): 171

Ditch Myki and replace it with Opal so I don't have to a separate transport when I visit Melbourne.......
PeFe no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 10:24 PM   #9766
KJBrissy

Likes (Received): 3464

Maybe ditch Opal and Sydney take up Myki

In all seriousness though, once authorities allow PayPass at the fare gates, this is no longer an issue.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
KJBrissy está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2018, 11:44 PM   #9767
Meldon

Likes (Received): 265

Use auto-top up. You never have to think about it!

Airvan00, dockman liked this post
Meldon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2018, 03:55 AM   #9768
KJBrissy

Precisely. I never have to think about it. I even keep my auto top up cards from other cities in my 'travelling draw'.
“When I was poor and complained about inequality they said I was bitter. Now that I'm rich and I complain about inequality they say I'm a hypocrite. I'm beginning to think they just don't want to talk about inequality.”
Old January 14th, 2018, 02:02 PM   #9769
L2
King of Bali

Likes (Received): 484

I thought that the purpose of the rail industry was to provide a transportation service, not to "provide well paying jobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTBU Victoria @ Facebook
Yesterday Metro confirmed the proposed closure of 4 control desks in the Clifton Hill stations group. This threat is not one that the RTBU takes lightly.

This will result in a decrease in security & safety at stations along this line, a decrease in upskilling for staff, as well as a decrease in local good paying jobs for members who all live locally in close proximity to the stations.

In correspondence sent to the Union today, Metro claimed that these closures were a result of the recently negotiated MR4 franchise agreement between PTV, the State Government & Metro.

If the company, PTV or the government think that RTBU members will simply allow these control desk locations to be shut down then they are mistaken.

We must & will fight this proposed threat.

Members at Reservoir & Clifton Hill Station passed a motion condemning Metro’s proposal & calling on the Union to have their voices heard in an attempt to stop these closures.

United we stand!
In an organisation that large it can't be that big of a deal to redeploy the effected staff to different roles? Beats employing people just for the purpose of "giving them a well paying job" like it's a sheltered workshop..

HenryX liked this post
L2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 10:59 PM   #9770
KJBrissy

Is the purpose even to provide jobs? To me it's a byproduct and not a purpose.
Old January 18th, 2018, 02:34 AM   #9771
melburn21
flame on.

Likes (Received): 2424

Drunkill, Mischk, HenryX liked this post
melburn21 está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote

Tags
mandurahboyz