SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | 10 Hudson Yards - Coach Tower | 268m | 878ft | 52 fl | Com

917K views 2K replies 252 participants last post by  baronson 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I think we can agree on this for once and for all... this is the first tower of Hudson Yards, if you don't know.

See less See more
#164 ·
#165 ·
Here's the developer's bullet points for rail access to the site. Note that they mention the PATH tubes, whose nearest station is 33rd & 6th Ave. TheGoogleMachine says that's a 17-18 minute walk and then you'd have to rattle your way over to Hoboken for the use of the PATH to make sense...

subway station connection
Direct access via the new No. 7 Subway extension to regional rail routes at Grand Central Terminal
5 minute walk to Penn Station
Access to commuter service via Long Island Rail Road, New Jersey Transit, PATH and Amtrak

#168 · (Edited)
#171 ·
^^
That's the High Line. It was a railroad spur for freight train built during the 30's. By 1980 it was no longer in use and get derelict for more than 20 years, during that time, wild vegetation grow over it. It was going to be demolished, but a group of people foght to conserve it and build a park over it instead.
Now it is the High Line Park, a very popular place for Newyorkers and tourists. It's been opened in stages, the one going through the site of these towers is the last one to be opened. The already opened sectioms are 1,6 km. long, when this last part is completed it will be 2,3 km. long. Here some pictures of it, the first picture shows how it was before they build the park, with the wild vegetation. When they build the park, they choose similar wild vegetation for the landscaping
You can learn more in the article of Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Line_Park

the "wild" high line before they build the park.

High Line at the Rail Yards - Train Tracks and Vegetation por Vivienne Gucwa, en Flickr

090610 High Line Park 017 por joevare, en Flickr

High Line park NYC - Manhattan - New York City por David Berkowitz, en Flickr

High Line por karstenphoto, en Flickr

The High Line por Greg Annandale, en Flickr

The High Line por navid j, en Flickr

Standard Hotel por npzo, en Flickr

Standard Hotel (2) por tessarian, en Flickr

HIGH LINE PARK / AUTUMN 2010 - Lower Manhattan, New York City - 11/19/10 por asterix611, en Flickr

High Line Park amphitheater por jstheater, en Flickr

High Line Amphitheater por Alex Nunez, en Flickr

#173 · (Edited)
It's a VERY popular (and recent) park. A lot of the ongoing development south of the upcoming Coach/South Tower is based upon the transformation of the area due to the park and rezoning.

A number of the photos of the Coach tower/Hudson Yards site are taken from the currently publicly open areas of the High Line. An example is this photo taken yesterday (9/11) posted by towerpower123. The photo is taken from the northmost end of the HL park, where it curves to the west into the currently unopened east-west section. The section seen there is being refurbished and will be integrated into the Coach/South Tower as the Coach Passage.

The High Line freight rail line itself was the "modern" rebuild of the grade level rail line that has existed in these areas since the mid1800s. The sections south of 34th st were elevated in the 1930s and all remaining portions will eventually be integrated into the park. The unopened section to the west of the Coach/South tower is hosting an art exhibition NOW. That area is open to the public only a few days per week and you need reservations:

http://art.thehighline.org/project/carolbove/

The photo below is at least a month old from thehighline.org site and is looking east along the not-yet-park HL east-west section that runs just north of 30th st.. Note the art, the LIRR's Hudson Yards, the many-find-ugly AP bldg, One Penn Plaza, the ESB and at least one Coach/South Tower crane. This photo is taken from ~one avenue west of the previous photo. I think this photo is originally by Timothy Schenck whose Flickr photostream has more HL photos over the years.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/timothyschenck/

The section north of 34th st is below current grade, was linked to Penn Station in 1991 and is now used for AMTRAK passenger rail service to upstate NY and Canada.

This 2011 Iwan Baan photo from the highlineblog shows how the two section connect. The photo is looking south, the South Tower site is at photo bottom. More HL history related to the photo and a plug for the calendar that features this photo is here:
http://www.thehighline.org/blog/2013/08/23/the-story-behind-the-shot-an-aerial-view-in-2011

The following is a plug for spending $$$ in NYC:
A good portion of NYC's economy is tourism and these areas (HL, Hudson Yards, Manhattan West and all the standard tourist stuff) are easy to get to by mass transit.
If you're an international traveler and flying into JFK you can catch the AirTrain at any terminal and take it to it's Jamaica terminus. From Jamaica you can get onto the LIRR going west and take it to NY Penn Station. NY's Pennsylvania Station (it's named after a defunct railroad) is UNDER the tall, thin, bluish tower (One Penn Plaza) that rises out of frame just right of center in the top photo. Note that you can also fly international into EWR (Newark Airport), which is actually closer to Manhattan, but the train connections are not as direct to this specific area. Just to confuse things, downtown Newark city ALSO has a Penn station, due to the same defunct railroad.

NY's Penn Station is basically all underground now, between 7th & 87th Avenues. The CLASSIC ~1910 above ground head house was destroyed in the '60s to build One Penn Plaza, Madison Square Garden, etc, above, but that's another story with many modern-day impacts. One of the modern-day impacts is that certain media run stories occasionally about tearing down the current Madison Square Garden and building a modern head house for NY's Penn Station.

A few avenues to the east of One Penn Plaza/Penn Station is the Empire State Building. The ESB has been giant-ape free for many decades. If you want to see more cranes, LOTS of steel being erected and concrete being poured you can take the #1 (7th Ave IRT) SUBWAY line at the east end of Penn station down south to the World Trade Center site. That site still has structures under construction, but the construction barriers are being moved inwards as more & more of the structures are being opened to the public/tenants. 4 WTC should open in November. The #1 subway stop that is directly under the rebuilt WTC (Courtlandt St, destroyed 9/11/01) will reopen I-don't-know-when, maybe when 4 WTC opens. The NEW structures are now guarded by sturdy bollards to prevent truck bombers from driving INTO the structures...

#182 ·
Thanks for posting the link to Hardcore Shutterbug's Flckr photo stream. I had not seen this before.

He has some nice recent (~week old) overhead & oblique shots of the Hudson Yards and surrounding area. For example, one of the photos actually shows a little bit of the Penn station tracks UNDER 9th Ave/Farley PO Annex. This is the eastern boundary for Manhattan West development/platform. He also has shots taken from the actual LIRR West Side yard, which Hudson Yards will cover up...

Hers's a link to that photo in his photostream, but there are many more area-relevant photos older & newer than this one. Only really one of the Coach Tower site that I noticed, but there shots of the Culture Shed foundations, etc.:http://www.flickr.com/photos/hardcoreshutterbug/9697391046/in/photostream/

#183 ·
Coach demands rival-free Hudson Yards – and Related agrees
At least eight stores, including Polo Ralph Lauren, are not welcome in South Tower

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/16/related-keeps-coach-at-hudson-yards-by-banning-handbag-rivals/#comments

Related Companies has Coach as an anchor at its Hudson Yards mega-project because it signed off on a demand not to lease any space to competitors of the handbag heavyweight. Coach made the no-competitor condition after it bought 740,000 square feet in the development’s Tower C, or the South Tower.

Related heard from Coach after L’Oreal grabbed 402,000 square feet of the 1.7-million-square-foot building. The lease rider prohibits Related from leasing office or retail space to at least eight competitors, including Polo Ralph Lauren Corp., J. Crew Group and Burberry Group.
One of the rumored companies that is looking at Related's Hudson Yards project is Ralph Lauren, however Ralph Lauren is not prohibited to lease in the North Tower for their HQ.

My questions is what portion does the Mall/ Retail part belong to? The South Tower or the North Tower? If it is indeed part of the South Tower (Coach) then Ralph Lauren would be prohibited to set up a retail store there. That would effectively kill any hopes for Ralph Lauren looking for a new home in the Hudson Yards IMO.

Maybe RL may very well end up setting it's HQ in one of the WTC towers instead if they decide to move from their Madison offices.

#185 ·
Coach demands rival-free Hudson Yards – and Related agrees
At least eight stores, including Polo Ralph Lauren, are not welcome in South Tower

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2013/09/16/related-keeps-coach-at-hudson-yards-by-banning-handbag-rivals/#comments

One of the rumored companies that is looking at Related's Hudson Yards project is Ralph Lauren, however Ralph Lauren is not prohibited to lease in the North Tower for their HQ.

My questions is what portion does the Mall/ Retail part belong to? The South Tower or the North Tower? If it is indeed part of the South Tower (Coach) then Ralph Lauren would be prohibited to set up a retail store there. That would effectively kill any hopes for Ralph Lauren looking for a new home in the Hudson Yards IMO.

Maybe RL may very well end up setting it's HQ in one of the WTC towers instead if they decide to move from their Madison offices.
As a RL corporate employee, I would love for us to move to Hudson Yards. We currently operate out of roughly 11 buildings scattered all around Manhattan, which is ridiculously inconvenient. I can't tell you how much time and money we throw away annually on cab/train rides between meetings.

However, I can say that there are no serious rumblings of an HQ move within the company right now. Obviously, this is the sort of deal that would happen very high up the power ladder, so it may be happening without my knowledge. But right now, no rumors...

It'd be a hell of a legacy for Ralph to get a tower named after him. He's in his 70s now and has to be thinking of the future of his company without him.

#186 ·
IS Tutor Perini also doing the platform?

A new shot from the HY Facebook page shows the core close up

Hudson Yards New York

Thanks for posting that. I suspected that Tutor Perini (who is building the Amtrak Gateway Tunnel Box in the ERY itself) was also working on the Coach Tower. I hadn't bothered looking it up, but I think the photo confirms it.

I assume that having the same company working on both the tunnel box, the tower and the Culture Shed foundations should help expedite the construction.

#188 · (Edited)
Altogether there are four photos posted today with similar credit, but taken on what look like different days:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=648884468479493&set=a.546578398710101.121799.360628590638417&type=1&theater

Also, Amtrak provided a couple of updated "concrete" dates for platform construction in a press release two days ago.
http://www.amtrak.com/ccurl/930/618/Amtrak-Hudson-Yards-Ceremony-ATK-13-105.pdf

The press release was for a ceremonial Gateway tunnel box ground breaking: Amtrak's construction site is immediately adjacent to the Coach/South Tower site. Portions of the ~south half of the Hudson Yards platform will be overbuilt on the tunnel box.

"Platform construction consisting of foundation work for the commercial buildings will commence in January 2014 with structural steel erection of the platform commencing in June."

I ASSUME the foundation work that Amtrak refers to is in the east side of the yard, maybe in the NE where the big drill rig has been. OR, maybe they'll start platform foundation work in the area where the soon-to-be-demolished LIRR MOE building was. The red arrow in this rendering shows the Coach Tower site, the MOE building is to the left of the arrow. Tutor Perini is the contractor for the Coach tower, the Amtrak tunnel box and is also the PRIME contractor for Hudson Yards...

#190 · (Edited)
Yah, I find them equally confusing, especially with various columns mixed in. I assume that some of the columns are for the plaza to the west of the tower. Note that the Geoffrey Butler photo credit is that of a structural engineer/Senior PM at Tishman Construction. Tishman is building partner to Tutor Perini.

I "volunteer" J-biz (or anybody else) to take some overall site photos. Maybe from the north end of the High Line? Or from the Ohm building?

The short article (with photos) at the following link is good if you are interested in the history and current businesses (horse stables, etc.) that are being forced out as this overall area is being developed, Overall area meaning heading north along the being-created now Hudson Blvd.
http://ny.curbed.com/archives/2013/09/19/hudson_yards_tenants_await_the_areas_redevelopment.php

#192 · (Edited)
Thanks for the response.
"hardcore shutterbug" of flickr is a LIRR worker at the west side yards who was the source of some of the daytime shots of the yards taken from the ohm. Don't know if he knew somebody or just waltzed in the lobby.

The HL org is also running advance reservation 45 minute tours of the undeveloped section "High Line at the Rail Yard" that wraps around the West Side Yards/Hudson Yards. I ASSUME they take you further east on this stretch, but I don't know for sure:

Snip from original photo by Timothy Schenck

Thursdays 3:30 PM, 4:30 PM
Fridays 3:30 PM, 4:30 PM, 5:30 PM
Saturdays 11:00 AM; 12:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 3:00 PM, 4:00 PM, 5:00 PM
Free admission | Advance reservations required
See more at: ttp://art.thehighline.org/project/carolbove/#sthash.khNaeVJU.dpuf

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.