SkyscraperCity Forum banner

LONDON | 20 Fenchurch | 160m | 525ft | 36 fl | Com

587K views 2K replies 418 participants last post by  shard97 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Renderings (as of April 2012):

Older design:

Source of all: http://www.skyscrapernews.com/image...churchStreet_pic4.jpg&self=nse&no=4&x=39&y=74

The Architects' Journal have reported that Land Securities are planning a tower for the City of London.

Designed by Rafael Vinoly, it will be 45 storeys and will replace an existing 90m midrise built in the 1960's. The site is near the river, close to London Bridge, to the south of the main skyscraper cluster.

Apparently the building will resemble a "huge curved television facing the Thames" or the 1950s Ericsson phone design.

The proposals are set to go before Corporation planners this summer.

According to sources working on the project, the design is "deferential" to the Tower of London and a nearby listed church, helping to appease the heritage bodies. It has also received positive comments from the Commission for Architecture and the Built Environment (CABE).

Panorama view with the location of 20 Fenchurch:
http://www.willfox.com/images/skyscrapers/20fenchurchstreet/redevelopment/1.jpg

See less See more
#32 ·
newcastle kid said:
Eh?

Do you mean "So many proposals, so little construction... "

Because if you do, then let me inform you:

Skyscrapers in 2000: 2
Skyscrapers in 2005: 11. (9 with another 2 U/C)
Eh: cynicism? Let me inform you (correct me if i am wrong):

Since 2000:

- Londen Bridge Tower: approved 2003...
- Columbus Tower... ?
- Minerva Tower... ?
- Heron Tower: many years before construction...
- 122 Leadenhall: construction not before 2008...
- North Quay: no construction before 2007 or even later...
- Heron Quays West: no construction before 2010...
- Riverside South: approved in 2004, but that's it...
- Stratford City Tower: not before 2009?
- Skyhouse: never built
- 168 Fenchurch Street: never built
- Elizabeth House Redevelopment: never built

- News: Second tower at London Bridge?
- News: Three new skyscrapers announced for London
- News: Enron to build new UK headquarters
- News: More towers planned for Canary Wharf cluster
- News: Grand Union Building put on hold
- News: 61-storey tower set to rise in Docklands
- News: P&O propose skyscraper at Waterloo

- etc...

No one can deny that there is some reason to remain sceptical about London's major skyscraper projects and i am not the only person who is sceptical. There is no hurry when it comes to construction in London...

Every proposal in London is good news, but i am at the point where construction is regarded as better news.

;)

#34 ·
- Londen Bridge Tower: approved 2003, current building demolition in 4-6 months, construction starts 2006
- Columbus Tower... Pretty much dead (like the Arab guy who was planning to build it:()
- Minerva Tower... Floor plates undergoing redesign to appeal to more tenants.
- Heron Tower: Construction 2007 (Don't believe me? Check their site)
- 122 Leadenhall: construction IN 2008...
-Beetham London- Being redesigned, good chance for a 2007 start
- North Quay: Being redesigned for a better quality developmet
- Heron Quays West: no construction before 2010, still in detail design
- Riverside South: approved in 2004, awaiting a tenant. Looks good for 07 or an 08 start.
- Stratford City Tower: What The hell is Stratford city tower?
- Vauxhall Tower: Starts September-ish

Of course that isnt all of them. there is DIFA, The Vauxhall twins, Doon street, The new 200m tower proposed yesterday, etc... etc..

#36 ·
newcastle kid said:
I will admit it has been abit slow. The only proposal definately starting this year is the 181m Vauxhall tower.
The final phase of St George's Wharf is being marketed later this year - we can't be 100% sure it will actually start construction though. It does seem quite likely now, however. And the site has already been demolished and cleared. The Multiplex Tower in Elephant and Castle is another one that should start later this year, if the developers are to be believed. And of course, demolition should start on the site of Shard London Bridge. Everything else though will have to wait until next year, except for a few midrises - see my list of "Other Projects" in the summary thread for more info.

#40 ·
Can I ask what you do for a living wjfox...its always interested me what people on these forums do for work, and the responses are often varied and as different as each guy....I always get an image of you as an unidentifiable guy sitting behind a desk in an office block, ordering more coffee from your assistant while drawing architectural plans on a computer :dunno: :)

#42 ·
It is very good with a new skyscraper, but it is bad that they need to demolish another highrise.
I don't think the existing building is bad, since it has reflecting glass.
I prefer to add new skyscrapers instead of replacing them.

#44 ·
I think possibly a refurb of the current tower..... a more user friendly vase and crown would make it quite a nice building. If all the midrises go it will look like a wall of building... much like Canary Wharf is looking. We have a few new midrises though. Was walking past the hole that will be broadgate tower yesterday.... and of course lime street.

#45 ·
Lance said:
I think possibly a refurb of the current tower..... a more user friendly vase and crown would make it quite a nice building. If all the midrises go it will look like a wall of building... much like Canary Wharf is looking. We have a few new midrises though. Was walking past the hole that will be broadgate tower yesterday.... and of course lime street.
London has already over 1100 skyscrapers. This is a good starting base to build taller skyscraper.

#47 ·
Jack Rabbit Slim said:
Can I ask what you do for a living wjfox...its always interested me what people on these forums do for work, and the responses are often varied and as different as each guy....I always get an image of you as an unidentifiable guy sitting behind a desk in an office block, ordering more coffee from your assistant while drawing architectural plans on a computer :dunno: :)
I work for a medical journal near London Bridge, as a typesetter/artworker which involves designing and laying out pages in Quark, editing images in Photoshop, etc. then sending them off to print. I've done this kind of work for around 3 years but I've been using Photoshop for much longer - more like 8 or 9 years, since college really.

#48 ·
^^ kool! How do you like it? And...what's the pay like? ;)

:cheers:

#50 ·
Tom_Green said:
Aren`t you too long in this forum to make such weird thread title?
Dude...what is your problem? I think you seriously misunderstood the meaning of 'ridiculous' in the thread title! In this sense, as everyone else who came on this thread knew, the word is used as something of an ironic joke, and I would go into explaing this better but it would be lost on you no doubt. WjFox is one of the most skyscraper crazy blokes I've come across on these forums, and in no way does he mean that he thinks skyscrapers in London are a bad thing! You've just misinterpreted the thread title. Stress less my friend!

:cheers:

#51 ·
It's great, I love it - the work is creative, varied and challenging.

Took me AGES to break into this career though. I was doing loads of boring admin jobs for years before I got into artworking. It was that old Catch 22 situation of "can't get a job without experience; can't get experience without a job" but somehow I managed to get into it eventually.

And the pay is fairly decent. Plus, I get to walk around the City of London at lunchtimes and see all the amazing architecture, old monuments, medieval churches, modern offices, skyscrapers, etc... :cool:

But anyway, ... back on topic. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.