SkyscraperCity Forum banner

NEW YORK | One World Trade Center (1WTC) | 541m | 1776ft | 94 fl | Com

22M views 59K replies 4K participants last post by  Riley1066 
#1 ·
Since the world trade center is finally under construction. I wanted to create this thread for photos and news about skyscrapersd and the memorial happening at ground zero. Please post photos of the site plan, and construction photos happening at the site. Hope you guys enjoy!!!!!! :)

#41 ·
I-275westcoastfl said:
I like that you called it One World Trade Center i think that should be the new official name of it instead of Freedom Tower. :bash:

1wtc will be the official name, freedom tower is merely a pathetic press name. Don't worry, I too want to sock pataki in the face every time I hear it... so do 22 million new yorkers. :sleepy:

#42 ·
New York Yankee said:
You are responsible, because the fact that you began with giving information about it. Not the fact how people see it for them self.

But, it doesn't matter! Because we don't even know if your 'renders' are good, and we only know the design in the follow month. But also i will thank you for the information of the high and other things :)
Don't worry, you won't be seeing information from me in here anymore. I've moved on.

#47 ·
Dispatch from Ground Zero

Five years is enough time for builders to construct a small city in China. In lower Manhattan, it’s only the first chapter for the big pit at Ground Zero. But finally it has begun to stir, with leaders coming together and construction starting for real.

Travel hundreds of feet down the long paved ramp into the construction zone, and the towers of Lower Manhattan seem twice as tall. There’s nothing natural about this canyon: To your left you glimpse the well known “slurry wall” of concrete and steel tie-backs, which keeps the Hudson River’s waters at bay. On this route downward you also pass directly over the Twin Towers’ impressive footprints. Teams have placed plywood boards over their outlines, and this construction zone remains still, except for the PATH train that zooms over part of the former south tower.

Not so at the northwest corner of the site, directly in front of the ramp, where a small team of about 20 construction workers is excavating down to bedrock and driving footings for the Freedom Tower. Workers are also taking down what’s left of the Twin Towers’ old parking garage, whose remains include rows of spiky rebar and cross-like column remnants; removing old sewer pipes to be sold for scrap; relocating utilities located between PATH tracks to allow room for more footings; preparing large woven metal blankets to place over blasting sites; dumping dirt, metal, and concrete into loading trucks.

Much of the ground is muddy, since groundwater continually seeps into the site and has to be pumped out. The outline of the future 1,776-foot-tall tower is marked with dumpsters and with piled dirt around the site’s edges.

Construction is banging, wheezing, and beeping away here and at the nearby permanent PATH station construction zone. But this is nothing compared to what the site will soon be. Ground Zero will be hosting $11.8 billion worth of construction in the next six years, according to the Lower Manhattan Construction Command Center, which oversees construction on the site. This includes super-tall World Trade Center towers 1 through 5, the memorial and museum, the new PATH station, Frank Gehry’s Performing Arts Center, and Snøhetta’s visitors’ center. Meanwhile, the five-block radius around Ground Zero will see more than $20 billion in construction by 2020. Most of it is residential, but also includes projects like the Fulton Street Transit Hub and the Goldman Sachs tower.

Merely organizing all of this construction will be a nightmare. For one, there will be immense traffic coming in and out of the site delivering workers, steel, cranes, newly mixed concrete, and so on. The Command Center and construction management firm Liro Group have developed a master timetable and 3D model of the development process to help time it all. They meet with all the construction teams—not to mention developer Larry Silverstein, the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, the Battery Park City Authority, New York State and City Departments of Transportation, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority—on a monthly basis.

“This kind of concentration of work is unprecedented,” says command center director Charles Maikish.

Of course all of this work could come to a stop. The insurance money being used to build many of the five office towers might be lost in court cases. Tenants for these buildings may not materialize. Politics, as usual, can still get in the way. After all, the cornerstone for the Freedom Tower, meant to signal the start of construction, was laid two years ago. But for now the banging and wheezing will get much louder, and Manhattan’s great void will be filled again. Hopefully.

Sam Lubell

Architectural Record : August 10, 2006

#48 ·
Yeah, people dont really know exactly how much IS going on at the site. The most activity on a single site in the world. With its completion in 2012, it will help New York's economy bounce back, and itll go back to being third in office space following Midtown and the Loop.

the WTC is coming back folks.

#52 ·
Ebola said:
It may not be true now, but just wait a few months. After all, "This kind of concentration of work is unprecedented."
It wont be and never will be. There isnt a site in the world with the most activity because it changes every few hours. One mintue your really busy and the next you have nowt to do. Thats what building work is like, I do it for a living.

#54 ·
ch1le said:
/\you guys dont go out much, do you?

Impressive yes, but also very slow and far smaller than some Dubai/Shanghai etc projects!

very slow? the project is getting underway, one tower is already completed, while 5 others remain, a transit hub, a memorial, and a museum. Smaller? In what sense? certainly not size and $$$. Are you really gonna use the Burj Dubai as a bigger project? Its one tower, the cost of that compared to the redevelopment of 6 towers, not to mention once this thing is completed the rebounding NY economy will get a huge boost. You have any idea what % of office space the WTC had alone? Itll generate more than I can say for some half a mile tall tower in Dubai. We actually need these towers rebuilt, were not in it for the pissing match that is the WTB.

explain yourself. that statement i made had already taken into account all the construction bullshit going on in Dubai and Shanghai so dont instantly assume im ignorant to that fact. This is a redevelopment going on here.

#56 ·
$12 billion worth of construction over the next 6 years?

Yes, you can all play it off as if its just typical Americans being Americans. As you are just being typical critics. Do you really need some higher being to tell you as opposed to as 'typical Americans'?

It appears you underestimate the sheer importance of this site. It needs to be rebuilt, its the heart of the financial district in New York.

#57 · (Edited)
Spooky873 said:
very slow? the project is getting underway, one tower is already completed, while 5 others remain, a transit hub, a memorial, and a museum. Smaller? In what sense? certainly not size and $$$. Are you really gonna use the Burj Dubai as a bigger project?
^Indeed bollocks, which is the bigger building site:

The Mall (a single site):

I think the site of the Burj has a 'tad' more activity going on and the WTC site will never compare in activity...

The Palms are pretty busy too:

I love the new design for this tower and I have from day one said that the only way to defeat Atta and his gang is to rebuild the site ASAP. People need to get behind this tower otherwise this site will remain empty..

#59 ·
I really hope none of the Americans here buy into this "typical-American" depracation because it generally comes from those that are bitter and smug. There is no typical American. What a load of horse - SHITE. We battle eachother, a nation of 200+ million people and we are all typical? There is so much hate for this nation I don't even think it matters if it's an administration these people really do hate us. How could so many people from democratic free loving nations not agree with overtrowing a totalitarian dictator, who happened to kill thousands of his own people, dismantling the government and bringing back to life a nation of brainwashed and terrified people. The best answer to that question is, because it's the Americans.
^^ Is that the typical American? What a terrible way to think. I won't ruin this thread any longer and I apologize if you just wanted to see an update but I'll be the only one here who sticks up for us when some shmuck uses the phrase Typical Americans.

#60 ·
nygirl said:
I really hope none of the Americans here buy into this "typical-American" depracation because it generally comes from those that are bitter and smug. There is no typical American. What a load of horse - SHITE. We battle eachother, a nation of 200+ million people and we are all typical? There is so much hate for this nation I don't even think it matters if it's an administration these people really do hate us. How could so many people from democratic free loving nations not agree with overtrowing a totalitarian dictator, who happened to kill thousands of his own people, dismantling the government and bringing back to life a nation of brainwashed and terrified people. The best answer to that question is, because it's the Americans.
^^ Is that the typical American? What a terrible way to think. I won't ruin this thread any longer and I apologize if you just wanted to see an update but I'll be the only one here who sticks up for us when some shmuck uses the phrase Typical Americans.

AMEN NYGIRL ...AMEN!