SkyscraperCity Forum banner

TORONTO | One Bloor Street East | 257m | 844ft | 75 fl | Com

301K views 899 replies 223 participants last post by  isaidso 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As reported in the SSC Toronto threads, there is a new proposal for a mixed development at Yonge St and Bloor Street in Toronto:

Here is the Press Release:

Bazis International unveils plans for Canada's most celebrated corner

TORONTO, March 22 /CNW/ - Bazis International of Toronto, Ont., willunveil its plans to redevelop Canada's most important corner at a newsconference Thursday, April 5, 2007. Bazis International has acquired a one-acre property on the southeastcorner of Yonge and Bloor Streets in the heart of Toronto. It will create aninnovative mixed use development featuring a nearly 80 storey tower with afour storey double-height podium at the base making it Toronto's tallestresidential/commercial building. Michael Gold together with celebrated Toronto architect, Roy Varacalli,both of Bazis, will offer details and be available for interviews as will CityCouncillor Kyle Rae. The news conference will be held in the Panorama Room on the top of thenearby ManuLife Centre, a vantage point that offers a bird's eye view not onlyof the 1 Bloor site but also of Bazis' first Toronto project, the Crystal Blucondominium, soon to start construction on Balmuto Street just south of Bloor.

WHAT: Unveiling plans for 1 Bloor, Canada's most high profile urban address
WHERE: The Panorama Room on the top of the ManuLife Centre
WHEN: Thursday, April 5, 2007 at 10 a.m.

NOTE: Parking under the ManuLife Centre will be validated for thoseattending the press conference.

and the developer's website:

Bazis International

See less See more
#3 ·
It was just the other day someone was asking about another supertall for Toronto and BAM! That whole area is going to be one huge construction site the next 5 years or so, it's going to be amazing transformation. A midtown we can really call midtown. We're going to look like Chicago now with book ends! ;)

#6 ·
I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so excited about this building, its sooooooooooooo sexy and modern. Everyone always says Toronto's buildings are bland and boring but this should change everyhting! Everything is going great for Toronto, first Trump reveils that financing is secured and WILL begin this year and now this! its just AMAZING!

#12 ·
Very modern... very Asian yet not... Hmmm. I really like it actually! I just think it'd suit Yonge-Dundas Square better.

Bye bye closed GAP store? JK :p

#18 ·
What an awesome building. I love it.

I've always considered Yonge and Bloor to be Midtown, but that's within the context of the old City of Toronto. Yonge and Eglinton was uptown and North York was just North York. I still think of it this way.

#26 ·
I think the billboards make perfect sense. This is not a typical residential neighbourhood... it is an incredibly busy midtown intersection. The corner calls out for a bit of flash and pizazz. Subdued sophistication is a block to the west in the form of Yorkville.

#27 ·
I think the billboards make perfect sense. This is not a typical residential neighbourhood... it is an incredibly busy midtown intersection.
Sorry, but I don't like the billboards either.
The corner calls out for a bit of flash and pizazz.
To me this isn't as much flash and pizazz as it is crass and pizazz. Definitely more appropriate for Y&D as some have said. (Not necessarily the whole building, just the style of the podium).
Subdued sophistication is a block to the west in the form of Yorkville.
I don't see why pizazz and sophistication have to be mutually exclusive. The way it is now, it actually clashes with the style of Yorkville. I'd prefer something that blends the upscale sophistication of Yorkville with the flash of Y&D. The way it is, the podium could use more charm, more intelligence, and more originality.

If it were built exactly as proposed, it would still be good, but it wouldn't be great.

#28 ·
^^^ When you come to visit, (and I hope it is soon), I will take you to this intersection... I would be willing to bet it makes more sense once you stand at one of those corners.... There are lots of similarities between this intersection and Yonge Dundas. So get on that train and head on out here!!!!! :) I live about two blocks from this corner and I think it desperately needs a bit of pizazz..... I just think sometimes we can be a bit too "restrained" and sometimes it is good to be a teensy bit garish.
I'm hoping those are not billboards, but video screens.

#32 ·
Yeah, I think this should be in the Supertall category. Aren't we pretty sure it is, at 80 floors?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.