search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > India > South > South India Projects > Kerala > Kollam

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM   #1981
sakrishna
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudheeshnairs View Post
Nothing much to rave about this news, disappointed..They are just replacing existing passenger trains with MEMUs...

I ma not sure how they will accomodate toilets in MEMU coaches..It is not that alterations are done here..MEMUs do have only one specs..
I've a doubt. Is it not possible to run trains using engines of MEMU and coaches of ordinary passenger trains. So we can have best of both. (toilet facility and speed).
sakrishna no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 9th, 2010, 01:41 PM   #1982
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 404

Quote:
Nothing much to rave about this news, disappointed..They are just replacing existing passenger trains with MEMUs...

I ma not sure how they will accomodate toilets in MEMU coaches..It is not that alterations are done here..MEMUs do have only one specs..
There are MEMU services in other states which are ~150 kms (I believe Arakonam - Jollarpettai has MEMU service. Would Kerala be a special case here also? Tired of hearing that argument..
vinod/kakka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 02:50 PM   #1983
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Likes (Received): 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod/kakka View Post
There are MEMU services in other states which are ~150 kms (I believe Arakonam - Jollarpettai has MEMU service. Would Kerala be a special case here also? Tired of hearing that argument..
Vinod, Kerala is always a special case...be it MEMU, National Highway, IIT or Investment.

Hope nobody will undermine the MEMU project at Kollam. There is proposal to have a Heavy Maintanance Shed at Kollam due to the land availabilty.
Emerging_Quilon no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:38 PM   #1984
sudheeshnairs

Likes (Received): 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reghu View Post
But Sudheesh, MEMU's generally can run faster and carry more passengers than the shuttle trains that are plying now.

I think a 3 unit MEMU can carry 3 times the passengers that the shuttle train does. Speed is one of the advantages. Overall, the quality of the service will be better than the passenger trains. The shuttle trains are hampering the free flow of express trains now. Since MEMU trains are faster and can carry more passengers, the passengers going by express trains will be benefitted by less crossings and rush.
There is not much difference in the coaches of MEMU when compared with normal passenger train, except that there would be more standing space, wide doors etc.

I cannot understand how a 3 unit MEMU will take the load of a passenger train with 7-10 bogies.

MEMUs have faster acceleration/deceleration, it is the main advantage.

But the crux of the issue is that these has to run through 'Single' lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinod/kakka View Post
I commented about the report saying it is planned to have 'Toilets' in the MEMU's based in Kollam!!

The new services are just the replacement of the passenger services and which has to run through the single line stretch between Kayankulam and Ernakulam.
sudheeshnairs no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:40 PM   #1985
sudheeshnairs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakrishna View Post
I've a doubt. Is it not possible to run trains using engines of MEMU and coaches of ordinary passenger trains. So we can have best of both. (toilet facility and speed).
MEMU or EMU OR DMU doesn't have seperate locomotives as in the case of a normal locomotive hauled train.

The name itself suggests that 'multiple units'. And they do not need 'engine reversal'

And it is not speed, but 'accelaration' during start due to the multiple power points rather than a single locomotive hauling the train from front. It has some similarity with the 'Push-Pull' train we had earlier
Old June 10th, 2010, 05:10 AM   #1986
sakrishna
BANNED

Quote:

And it is not speed, but 'accelaration' during start due to the multiple power points rather than a single locomotive hauling the train from front. It has some similarity with the 'Push-Pull' train we had earlier
You are right. It quickly accelerates. I've travelled once in MEMU from Shoranur to Ettimadai. I really felt the need for toilet.

Quote:
MEMU or EMU OR DMU doesn't have seperate locomotives as in the case of a normal locomotive hauled train.

The name itself suggests that 'multiple units'. And they do not need 'engine reversal'
I know this Sudeeshetta. My point was isn't it possible to have the 1 st and the last coaches (having engines) those ones used in MEMU and all other coaches that of ordinary passenger trains.

Last edited by sakrishna; June 10th, 2010 at 01:19 PM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:57 AM   #1987
sudheeshnairs

I don’t think so..The composition of the rake would be different.

And even if you have a few bogies with toilets, what about those in the other bogies? Unlike long distance express trains or Metro trains, these passenger trains and EMU’s don’t have vestibules for connection.
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:37 AM   #1988
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:

And even if you have a few bogies with toilets, what about those in the other bogies? Unlike long distance express trains or Metro trains, these passenger trains and EMU’s don’t have vestibules for connection.
Sudheesh Bhai, I think we have to look at MEMUs just like the city buses in Bangalore. People are travelling from Majestic to Whitefield, Majestic to Electronics city, Hebbal to Banashankari and even from the Devanahalli airport to remote distances in the city. The distance is almost 40 - 60 Kms here but takes 2 - 3 hrs due to the traffic snarls. There are no toilets in the buses, but people depend on these buses. They can get down at any place if it is really required. MEMU's should be considered like this.

Only difference in MEMU in Kerala is the total distance travelling and the service is between cities. The distance could be upto 150 Kms, but the travelling time will be less than 3 hours. Here, you may get down at any station to do your basic needs as it has stop at every station including the Halting station. There will be another MEMU within another half an hour.

I personally feel there should be one toilet which they can place at a middle compartment so that anybody can go to that when the train stops at a particular station.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:08 PM   #1989
sudheeshnairs

First of all, my point of concern was that the MEMUs would be a replacement of existing passenger trains and not capacity additions. The issue of toilets were a spinoff since the reporter had mentioned it regarding its addition which I feel is not going to happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerging_Quilon View Post
Sudheesh Bhai, I think we have to look at MEMUs just like the city buses in Bangalore. People are travelling from Majestic to Whitefield, Majestic to Electronics city, Hebbal to Banashankari and even from the Devanahalli airport to remote distances in the city. The distance is almost 40 - 60 Kms here but takes 2 - 3 hrs due to the traffic snarls. There are no toilets in the buses, but people depend on these buses. They can get down at any place if it is really required. MEMU's should be considered like this.
There is a little bit exaggeration in the distances and time taken in the case you have provided. Majestic to Whitefield is only about 22.7 kms (as per mapmyindia.com) and you can cover it within 1.30 hours. (I take around 40 minutes to one hour daily for about 70% of this distance) And understand one thing, the pattern of travel is that most travelers are not end to end passengers.

Of course, sometimes you have to bear with that. I have taken 3 hours from the north western suburb of Nelamangala to HAL in Bangalore in my car, during peak hour. I had to drive like that for two days and both days I used to stop midway at my corporate office for a leak.

As you said ‘they can get out any place if required’. Will it be possible in the case of this MEMU. How he will resume his journey, wait for the next long distance express train to come and get on to its general compartment, with the passenger class ticket? Please do not say that the next MEMU will come after half an hour?

Quote:
There will be another MEMU within another half an hour. .
No, as of now it is only replacement of existing passenger services. How can you have MEMU’s every half an hour in single line stretches with saturation over 160%?

Quote:
I personally feel there should be one toilet which they can place at a middle compartment so that anybody can go to that when the train stops at a particular station.
You are not supposed to use toilets when the train is in a station. We do not have chemical toilets or the like in IR. This might be one of the reason for not having toilets in MEMUs/EMUs since they are supposed to be a means of ‘Mass Rapid Transit’ in comparably built up areas.

And is it practical to alight at one station and get in to the bogie with the toilet? The whole character of MEMU is less stoppage time with faster accelerations which would turn dangerous for those guys who alight.
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:11 PM   #1990
vinod/kakka

Likes (Received): 404

I believe the toilet issue has been taken to court, and the verdict was that IR could run trains for upto 150 kms without toilet facilities.
vinod/kakka no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:26 PM   #1991
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:

As you said ‘they can get out any place if required’. Will it be possible in the case of this MEMU. How he will resume his journey, wait for the next long distance express train to come and get on to its general compartment, with the passenger class ticket? Please do not say that the next MEMU will come after half an hour?

No, as of now it is only replacement of existing passenger services. How can you have MEMU’s every half an hour in single line stretches with saturation over 160%?

You are not supposed to use toilets when the train is in a station. We do not have chemical toilets or the like in IR. This might be one of the reason for not having toilets in MEMUs/EMUs since they are supposed to be a means of ‘Mass Rapid Transit’ in comparably built up areas.

And is it practical to alight at one station and get in to the bogie with the toilet? The whole character of MEMU is less stoppage time with faster accelerations which would turn dangerous for those guys who alight.
Sudheesh Bhai, your points are correct. But the fact is we should not negate the idea just for a toilet cause. It is always a good thing that you finish off your basic needs before boarding the train. There are facilites at the boarding station. I am frequent traveller by bus from Marthahalli to Banashankari. There are 5 flyover constructions going on in the Marthahalli - Silkboard stretch with another 15 signals. It takes 2 to 2.5 hours to reach the Banashankari during peak hours by public transport. There is no question about toilet in this case as Comfort stations are there at major bus stops. The same is applicable to MEMU trains and stations as well.

MEMUs may replace the passenger trains. But it is a good thing as one MEMU train can accomodate 2 passenger train people. Moreover, it is always good to have two back to back MEMU trains (30 mins gap) as the trains stoppage at a particular station is for just 1 minute. You can board the other train one if you miss the first one.

I think it is early days...people in Mumbai are so intertwined with suburban MEMU train service. Mumbai cannot think of day when there is no MEMU Service. The city will come to a standstill then. Who knows MEMUs are going to take the same role in Kerala as well especially when the NH development will not reach anywhere?
Old June 10th, 2010, 12:49 PM   #1992
sudheeshnairs

‘Chakk ennu parayumbol chukka ennu kelkkum’ This what I feel when reading your continued posts.

Still you are stuck with MEMUs every 30 minutes and then go on comparing with EMUs in Mumbai with the exclusive double or quadruple lines.

Earlier you said MEMU can carry 3 times the capacity of a passenger train, now happy to see you have come down to two times. Just prove how it can be done! Hope you have seen MEMU’s in Bangalore-Kuppam route. If not, please go and watch them at K R Puram station.

I am not telling once again what was my point..had already done it a couple of times earlier.
Old June 10th, 2010, 01:04 PM   #1993
Emerging_Quilon
Emerging Quilon (EQ)

Quote:
‘Chakk ennu parayumbol chukka ennu kelkkum’ This what I feel when reading your continued posts.

Still you are stuck with MEMUs every 30 minutes and then go on comparing with EMUs in Mumbai with the exclusive double or quadruple lines.

Earlier you said MEMU can carry 3 times the capacity of a passenger train, now happy to see you have come down to two times. Just prove how it can be done! Hope you have seen MEMU’s in Bangalore-Kuppam route. If not, please go and watch them at K R Puram station.

I am not telling once again what was my point..had already done it a couple of times earlier.
I have read from the newspapers that one unit of a MEMU can carry 1000 passengers. A MEMU train envisaged in Kerala will have 3 units. Anyway lets wait till the train service starts from Kollam.

I have seen the Bangalore - Marikuppam train at Krishnarajapuram. It is a cute one. I am not sure whether the same will hit our tracks.
Old June 10th, 2010, 02:18 PM   #1994
sudheeshnairs

First of all don’t blindly take what is printed in newspapers. They might have said about a whole rake of MEMU of 12 cars.

From this statement I understand the reason for all your arguments. You have totally misunderstood everything. I am not sure what you mean by ‘units’. A unit having 1000 capacity, awesome!!!!! So three units or three bogies, carrying a total of 3000!!!!

It seems you are not even aware of the basic classifications and capacity of bogies in IR. A standard sleeper compartment has a seating capacity of 72 sitting passengers. This is a comfortable layout, add double or triple for a EMU car with standing passengers, will it be 200 or 300?

I am not having much time now, will reply to in detail in few days.

Quote:
I have read from the newspapers that one unit of a MEMU can carry 1000 passengers. A MEMU train envisaged in Kerala will have 3 units. Anyway lets wait till the train service starts from Kollam.
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:54 PM   #1995
sakrishna
BANNED

Quote:

I don't know the case with EMUs.

But the MEMU plying in the Shoranur-Palakkad-Coimbatore route has got vestibules.

I think by using II class sitting / Chair car type coaches and the first and last coaches that of MEMU, this issue can be sorted out. This is what I feel. Not sure though. Please correct me if I'm wrong
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:08 AM   #1996
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Likes (Received): 7860

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollam View Post
Which is better & what is u r opinion

Better1: Madndrothuruth, perayam, panayam, perinad, kizhakkekkallada,kundara,& thrikkaruva gramapanchyat add in chittumala block & thrikkadavoor panchayat add in kollam corporation

Better2: , perayam, panayam, perinad, kundara,thrikkaruva,thrikkadavoor panchayt add in anchalummod block & Madndrothuruth , kizhakkekkallada panchayt add in shasthamkotta block

Better3: Madndrothuruth, perayam, panayam, perinad, kizhakkekkallada, kundara thrikkaruva, thrikkadavoor gramapanchyat add in chittumala block

Better4: Madndrothuruth, perayam, panayam, perinad, kizhakkekkallada, kundara thrikkaruva, thrikkadavoor gramapanchyat add in Anchalummood block
[IMG]http://i48.************/2ikppft.jpg[/IMG]
Thrikadavoor panchayath will be added to Kollam corporation by 2014. Even Panayam panchayath can be included in the Kollam corporation by that time. So it will be better if there is no block called Anchalumoodu which is the main town in Thrikadavoor panchayath. Instead they should create a new block by re-arranging the other panchayaths retaining the Chittumala block as well.
Reghu no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2010, 04:11 AM   #1997
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Training centre of the BSF to be opened in Kollam soon: Mullappally Ramachandran

Union Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran has said a training centre of the Border Security Force (BSF) would be opened in Kollam soon.

The centre would be utilised by the marine wing of the BSF for providing training to its personnel in swimming. Construction of the centre would begin soon after land for the purpose was made available, Mr. Ramachandran said.

He said the coastal security programme in the State in cooperation with the people is a big success.

Talking to presspersons during a visit here on Tuesday, he said the Centre was alert against terrorist activities and was taking effective measures against such activities. In fact, after Mumbai the only terrorist strike was in Pune.

The Maoist threat continued to exist and Kerala was not above board when it came to security threats, he said.

Mr. Ramachandran said though he had met Kerala Pradesh Congress Committee president Ramesh Chennithala, senior leader K. Karunakaran and others of the party on organisational matters, he was not the person authorised to talk on organisational elections.

Source - The Hindu

[IMG]http://i48.************/291p3sk.jpg[/IMG]

Last edited by Reghu; June 16th, 2010 at 04:19 AM.
Old June 22nd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1998
xpsa
xpsa

Likes (Received): 0

Hi, will u be able to gather some information about the upcoming projects(by private developers) in kollam?

Last edited by xpsa; June 22nd, 2010 at 07:45 PM.
xpsa no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 06:04 AM   #1999
Reghu
Kollam Rising

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsa View Post
Hi, will u be able to gather some information about the upcoming projects(by private developers) in kollam?
Hi Xpsa, I will update you about some of the completed and ongoing projects. Wait for the updates in a days time. Somebody based in Kollam can update on upcoming or future projects.
Old June 24th, 2010, 10:43 AM   #2000
Aji Kollam
New Comer

Likes (Received): 169

The tender for new Hockey stadium has come in the newspaper yesterday.

The work in Kollam beach is progressing well and luckily the park and surroundings will be maintained by Hotel Beach Orchid, which will make sure that those area will remain that way.

The work at Thangasseri beach is also progressing well but according to the contractor for lawn there, there is a contention between Harbor and PWD there which might hinder the work.

Reghu liked this post
Aji Kollam no está en línea   Reply With Quote