daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > Southeast

Southeast » Development News | Includes TX, OK, LA, MS, AL, GA, NC, SC, VA, TN, KY.

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #61
kingchef

Likes (Received): 0

i've lived in the ham, and moved back to memphis almost 3 years ago. i like both cities, but both needed new direction w/ mayors. both got that problem solved. memphis is hated by its rich suburbs, as is b'ham hated by hoover, vestavia hills, homewood, and mountain brook. memphis proper is growing and prospering, as is its suburbs in state, as well as out of state. in fact, desoto county is the 33rd fastest growing county in the u.s., and fayette county is ranked as #87. i think most large cities, like memphis proper, is hated by suburbia. there is a big difference in inner city population of memphis and that of b'ham.

the real thing that i envy about b'ham over memphis is the setting of b'ham. it is really a pretty area. not to much mountain, but enough to enjoy; however, there is no river, unless you count the cahaba or warrior, and that's a bit of a stretch, when compared to the big m. in defense of shelby, tn, it has a great deal of rolling landscape and natural beauty, but the city would be very attractive sitting, at least in part, on some big hills...just my preference.

Last edited by kingchef; May 24th, 2012 at 01:21 AM.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:52 PM   #62
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 5438

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
i've lived in the ham, and moved back to memphis almost 3 years ago. i like both cities, but both needed new direction w/ mayors. both got that problem solved. memphis is hated by its rich suburbs, as is b'ham hated by hoover, vestavia hills, homewood, and mountain brook. memphis proper is growing and prospering, as is its suburbs in state, as well as out of state. in fact, desoto county is the 33rd fastest growing county in the u.s., and fayette county is ranked as #87. i think most large cities, like memphis proper, is hated by suburbia. there is a big difference in inner city population of memphis and that of b'ham.

the real thing that i envy about b'ham over memphis is the setting of b'ham. it is really a pretty area. not to much mountain, but enough to enjoy; however, there is no river, unless you count the cahaba or warrior, and that's a bit of a stretch, when compared to the big m. in defense of shelby, tn, it has a great deal of rolling landscape and natural beauty, but the city would be very attractive sitting, at least in part, on some big hills...just my preference.
I have relatives in Collierville who were thinking about moving to DeSoto County because the Memphis government was trying to consolidate Memphis schools and schools in the suburbs into one big Shelby County school system. They said Memphis schools are really bad and they don't want their 11 year old son (my cousin) with poor quality schools.

Has this happened? or did it just blow over and nothing came out of it?
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2012, 09:55 PM   #63
musiccity
Retired Mod

Likes (Received): 5438

Quote:
Originally Posted by royal rose1 View Post
In my life I've lived in Japan, Germany, Hungary, South Carolina, Virginia, all over North Carolina, and all over California. I've now lived in North Carolina 9 years, and I must say, North Carolina seems to be the only southern state that's gotten it's shit together.

The whole South is a hellhole, and outside of Raleigh, almost all major southern cities have disgusting crime rates. I'm grateful to live in Raleigh, I moved here 2 years ago from Fayetteville, and that place is no exception to what I've said. Also, its sad to see places like Charlotte that are so nice, yet have such horrible areas and high crime rates. The South needs a savior, glad to see its starting to get some attention.

To directly answer your question though, I think the areas that DON'T need too much help are Raleigh, Atlanta (except for crime), Nashville, Northern VA, Charleston, Charlotte (once again except for crime), Asheville, and literally that's all I can think of haha. Every other city is shit, I'm just glad I go back to Cali and North to NYC for well over half the year.

I will also say the worst areas that need tremendous amount of help are ALL of Alabama and Mississippi, basically every sizable city in Louisiana, just about every major city in Florida (in terms of developing some type of culture, and lowering crime and unemployment), and a lot of small towns in between the large cities, for instance High Point in NC is about as nice as Senegal.
What?? Hellhole? Do you know why so many people from the North and the West are moving to the South? Because it's nice and people want to live here. There's more to the South than Southside Memphis or West B'ham, etc.
musiccity no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2012, 10:50 PM   #64
kingchef

well, according to the stats, about as many move from desoto co, ms as move to the southern memphis metro, specifically desoto county. of course, i accept your statement about your relatives in collierville at face value, but, if you check shelby county schools, you'll find them doing very well in standardized testing and the placement testing for tennessee children. shelby county schools are considered some of the best in public schools in tennessee and the south. as for colliervillle, they do particularly well, even though a good deal of eligible public school students attend high quality private schools, which is also true for the majority of white students, asians, endo-europeans ,etc., in memphis proper, who want to avoid the city schools. their are several city schools, however, that are ranked the highest in tn. i know one is white station. the charter schools and college prep schools are all very good.

from what i have heard, desoto county schools are very acceptable to most, as far as public schools. they have the largest school system in the state of ms, as of about 3 years ago. their growth hasn't slowed, as many people are moving into the area from southern alabama, other parts of the country, and international immigrants. all of that area is experiencing explosive growth, including marshall and tate counties, because of the new manfacturing and industrial plants being built. the new hospitals will be opening soon, as will one of the high tech labs. still, i would not, if i were a tn want to give up collierville for hernando, olive branch, southaven, walls, or horn lake. perhaps your relatives want to get the little bit of farm land that is left, before the loop cuts across the counties. still, right of domain would make them subject to dealing w/right of way issues.

i have no children, but if i did i would put mine in private school in the city proper. they have excellent catholic, church of Christ, episcopal, university, etc. schools, and that is the way the majority of those who deal w/ this issue in memphis deals w/ it. the memphis city schools gave up their charter last fall, and shelby county schools will be assuming the 163,000 registered students w/in that system. that number will be added to the shelby co system, which has about 47,000 students. the suburbs are looking into forming independent school districts for their municipalities, but a court has mandated that these actions have to wait until the year that the merger plan is to begin, which is 2014. i think that more will likely place their children in private schools, if they don't get the independent school districts. you do realize that nashville-davidson county schools had to be taken over by the state because they were so poorly run and the students performing so poorly. that system has only approximately 78,000 students. i don't know how many private and home schooled. the same about shelby, i don't know how many private and home schooled students live in shelby county. i do know that memphis was the 7th largest school district in the nation.

as for the south, generally, needing a savior, i think we've done pretty well w/out one being appointed from the north, northeast, and the west. the south is now the largest sector of the u.s., and it is expected to maintain that growth through 2020, w/ 133 million residents. that will be the lions share on residents throughout the u.s. as for crime, the poster obviously doesn't have clue about the crime problems in nashville and charlotte. particularly, nashville, which has been in the top 10 fbi violent crime reports about 4 times in the last 5 to 6 years. crime occurs in the south, disproportionately amongst blacks, as much as in the north, northeast among hispanics, latinos, and blacks, and in the west, especially among hispanics and latinos. most of these chicago daily murders are gang related, the same in la, phoenix, houston ,dallas, minneapolis, detriot, miami, etc. chicago being the worst of all. so, i would not get into the south's crime rate over cities in the north and the west. people are people, no matter what color.
kingchef no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2012, 01:03 AM   #65
rocket9561

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingchef View Post
well, according to the stats, about as many move from desoto co, ms as move to the southern memphis metro, specifically desoto county. of course, i accept your statement about your relatives in collierville at face value, but, if you check shelby county schools, you'll find them doing very well in standardized testing and the placement testing for tennessee children. shelby county schools are considered some of the best in public schools in tennessee and the south. as for colliervillle, they do particularly well, even though a good deal of eligible public school students attend high quality private schools, which is also true for the majority of white students, asians, endo-europeans ,etc., in memphis proper, who want to avoid the city schools. their are several city schools, however, that are ranked the highest in tn. i know one is white station. the charter schools and college prep schools are all very good.

you do realize that nashville-davidson county schools had to be taken over by the state because they were so poorly run and the students performing so poorly. that system has only approximately 78,000 students. i don't know how many private and home schooled. the same about shelby, i don't know how many private and home schooled students live in shelby county. i do know that memphis was the 7th largest school district in the nation.
Actually White Station and Memphis city schools are completely absent from the list of the nation's/state's top high schools. On the other hand Nashville, although it does have schools with problems, continues to top the lists of America's best schools. Hume Fogg is almost always included as one of the nation's top 50 schools and MLK makes frequent appearances as well.

For 2012 there are two lists one by US News & World Report and one by Newsweek

For US News & World Report the top public high schools in the state:
#1. Hume Fogg - MNPS Nashville (49th nationally)
#2. MLK Jr. - MNPS Nashville (80th nationally)

(Nashville MSA area schools in Williamson and Sumner Counties rounded out the top 4 and had a total of 5 schools on the list. The Memphis MSA had 2 schools from the Shelby County district (Houston at #7 and Collierville at #9) Both Knoxville and the Tri Cities had more schools on this list than Memphis.

For Newsweek:
#1. Hume Fogg - MNPS Nashville (36th nationally)
#2. MLK Jr - MNPS Nashville (90th nationally

Again, Nashville MSA area schools rounded out the top 4 and had 6 schools total on the list. Memphis had 3: Collierville at #5, Houston at #8 and Germantown at #11.
rocket9561 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
columbia