daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Deutschsprachiges Wolkenkratzer Forum > Österreich > Wien > Wien Talk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old February 19th, 2012, 12:42 PM   #1
Deusdies

Likes (Received): 110

Question Can anyone from Wien answer a few questions for me please?

Hi,

I'm from Serbia, 22 y/o right now, moved to the US when I was 17 as an exchange student and stayed there for college. Right now I'm in Serbia awaiting for the semester at UniVie to begin (also an exchange student...don't ask).

I will be moving to Vienna in less than a month. So I was wondering if anyone from Vienna could tell me what life is like there, what are some good places to rent an apartment at? Generally, what is life like in Vienna? It is by far my favorite city and I've been there many times, however never longer than 5 days.

Also, what is the best place online to find an apartment (and I mean Wohnung)? I tried Craigslist.at and I've had a few people reply, but their replies seem shady... seems like some sort of Nigerian scam to me (all asking for info right away, offering too much for very little money, all have the same story of moving to the UK...)

Therefore, I'm having some problems finding an apartment in Vienna. I'd pay up to 500,- EUR a month for an apt. from 1. March till 1. July. I was looking at jobwohnen.at, ***************, and most of them are real estate agencies ads which ask for a 2 MM provision which is honestly too high. I've been looking for private listings but they are very few.

Then I went to http://oesterreich.kijiji.at . The private listing offer was much better, but I was confused by the prices a bit: a 50 m2 apartment near Wien center would be 400 eur? I even found a 76 m2 apartment for 470 eur? Are these normal prices? The ads are in German, by the way, and they *seem* legit. They're mostly all fully furnished (vollmöbiliert oder teilmöbiliert). Again, is this normal?

Is there any animosity towards Serbs? Honestly I can't blame you if there is, every time I'd visit Vienna I'd stay away from Serbs/Croats/Bosnians because to be honest some of the Serbia's worst kind went there... unbelievable. Would I be better off saying that I'm Serbian or American (prefer the former of course)? I speak relatively good German and the reason I'm going is to improve my German.

How does general public feel about speaking German in stores, etc? Will they hate me in advance (as it is the case in France), or will they welcome it as a chance to improve their English (as it is the case in Serbia and probably everywhere else)?

In general, anything that you could tell me about the life in Vienna, any tips, anything to stay away from, etc. would be most helpful.

Also, if anyone is renting an apartment here on SKC, shoot me a PM, I might be interested.

Thanks a lot!

tl;dr an exchange student looking for tips about living in Vienna
Deusdies no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 19th, 2012, 03:12 PM   #2
KingNick
Saupreißn - WM Edischn

Likes (Received): 4105

These prices are not normal, no. So if you got an offer like that, go for it.

Also there seems to be some scam going on right now, where they ask you to pay money in advance. Never do that!

You pretty much named all the classics for searching a new flat in Vienna. Flats are normally not furnished and I would never go for one, but I don't consider it odd either.

People here usually don't mind speaking English. We're not french...
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 01:29 PM   #3
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Likes (Received): 174

My sister, a Viennese, said you should try jobwohnen.at right now. There should be many private listings right now, because february is the time in between semesters when many people move away, or change places.
rheintram no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2012, 08:56 PM   #4
thun

There are heeps of rooms in shared flats at www.wg-gesucht.de for Vienna, too.
After my two semesters abroad and living together with quite a few foreigners I'd strongly recommend a shared flat over an appartment as this really is the best opportunity to practice a foreign language in every-day situations.
Old February 21st, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
KingNick
Saupreißn - WM Edischn

Likes (Received): 4105

Very true.

And not just to practice the local language, but also to connect with locals who'll introduce you to the city's social life.
KingNick no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #6
Bogdy

Likes (Received): 3519

I need also an advice. I'm planning a trip to Wien at the beginning of September. I'm looking for a place for lodging, just for 2 nights but I don't know what pension or hotel to choose. I would like to be a cheaper one, with decent conditions, somewhere near a metro station, but of course, I have no claims to be in the city center if it is a cheap one.

Could you give me please some suggetions?
Bogdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2012, 10:10 PM   #7
UrbanRat

Likes (Received): 31

When friends visit me in vienna, they often stay at the Wombats Hostel at Naschmarkt. Its a totally new Hostel and very close to the city center. Rates are also low. Have fun in Vienna! Here is the link: http://www.wombats-hostels.com/vienna/the-naschmarkt/
UrbanRat no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2012, 12:02 AM   #8
thun

The Wombats chain in general is quite recommendable, afaik. I only was an Wombats the Lounge near Westbahnhof and it was one of the better hostels I used so far and the prices were fair. It's not that central as the one at Naschmarkt, but that was ok for me (one of the main shopping streets is around the corner). I stayed at a hostel near
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:34 PM   #9
rheintram
yeah, whatever

Womats at Naschmarkt is recommendable. It's modern and clean and you can get pretty cheap doubles with bathrooms.

Beds are not too comfortable and it might be a bit noisy, but that's too be expected from budget accommodation. There's also a bar right inside the hostel and when you check in you'll get a voucher for a free drink (prices inside the hostel are really cheap).

Best thing is the location really. You are right next to Naschmarkt, Vienna's landmark food market. There's a metro station (U4 Naschmarkt) nearby and you're within walking distance of both Museumsquartier (museum's quarter, which is also a popular hangout) and Mariahilferstraße (shopping High Street).

There are several nice places to go and have a drink, eat or do some shopping nearby. So if you want any recommendations, shoot ;-)
Old August 20th, 2012, 07:56 PM   #10
rower2000

Likes (Received): 53

Quote:
Originally Posted by rheintram View Post
Best thing is the location really. You are right next to Naschmarkt, Vienna's landmark food market. There's a metro station (U4 Naschmarkt) nearby and you're within walking distance of both Museumsquartier (museum's quarter, which is also a popular hangout) and Mariahilferstraße (shopping High Street).
And with an U-Bahn nearby, you're pretty fast almost anywhere in the city. As an added information, consider the "Wochenkarte" for the U-Bahn which is valid from midnight Sunday/Monday until the following Monday at 9:00 am for 15 EUR. As a comparison, a single ride costs 2 EUR and a 24-hrs-ticket is 6,70 EUR, so if you stay a couple of days within a week it pays off pretty fast. There is also the 8 day ticket for about 34 EUR you need to stamp everyday and is almost always useless for a tourist!
rower2000 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2012, 01:18 AM   #11
rheintram
yeah, whatever

He said he's gonna stay two nights so the 48 hours ticket might be the best option.
Old August 21st, 2012, 05:38 PM   #12
Bogdy

Likes (Received): 3519

Ok thanks guys
Bogdy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: