daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Photography, Heritage and Architecture > Literature and Languages

Literature and Languages The Great Filipino Photo Contest



Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM   #1
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Austronesian Languages

Hello!

Here are some similarities me and some Philippine friends found out about our languages (I'm Indonesian).
Some of the Philippine words are Cebuano, others are Tagalog.

I = Indonesian
P = Philippine

wind
I: angin
P : hangin

eye
mata

five
lima

lip(s)
I: bibir
P: bibig

nose
I: hidung (h often not pronounced)
P: ilung

nail
I: kuku
P: kuko (?)

child
anak

man, male
I: lelaki, laki-laki
P: lalaki

We actually discovered a lot more. I'll write them down as soon as I remember.

Salam
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
 
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:03 PM   #2
Mercato
Sword of Gideon
 
Mercato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska North to the Future
Posts: 3,413
Likes (Received): 382

Fish:
ancient Cebuano = ikan
modern Melayu = ikan

Gunting
cebuano & tagalog = pair of scissors
bahasa melayu = to cut

Anak
cebuano & tagalog = child
melayu = child

Pontianak
cebuano & tagalog = tianak - child monster
melayu = lady monster

Sumpa
cebuano & tagalog = curse
melayu = oath

Putih
cebuano & tagalog = white
melayu = white

Otan
cebuano = vegetable
melayu = forest

Jalan
cebuano = dalan - a road or street
melayu = a walk
__________________
Hatikvah
Silver Surfer
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:41 PM   #3
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Austronesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Fish:
ancient Cebuano = ikan
modern Melayu = ikan

Gunting
cebuano & tagalog = pair of scissors
bahasa melayu = to cut

Anak
cebuano & tagalog = child
melayu = child

Pontianak
cebuano & tagalog = tianak - child monster
melayu = lady monster

Sumpa
cebuano & tagalog = curse
melayu = oath

Putih
cebuano & tagalog = white
melayu = white

Otan
cebuano = vegetable
melayu = forest

Jalan
cebuano = dalan - a road or street
melayu = a walk
Thanks Mercato!

Gunting also means (a pair of) scissors in Indonesian.
To cut with a knife (pisau) is potong.

Sumpah also means swear.

Forest in Indonesian is hutan, yet as in many words, the H is often not pronounced.
Orangutan means literally forest-man because orang = person.

Jalan also means road or street.


Some other similarities:

coconut (tree)
I: nyiur
P: niog (?)

black
I: hitam (often pronounced 'itəm')
P: itum (?)

drink
I: minum
P: inom (?)


How do you say 'count' in Philippine? Is it similar to hitung or itung?
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM   #4
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Austronesian

eat
I: makan
in my father's dialect it's 'humaan'
P: kumain

sleep
I: tidur
P: tulog

new
I: baru
P: bago

expensive
mahal

cheap
I: murah
P: mura

lake
I: danau
P: lanaw

kick
I: sepak (-k often pronounced as a glottal stop)
P: sipa

fire
I: api
P: apoy

sky
langit

house
Old Malay: balai. Still used today for certain kinds of houses.
P: balay

sole
I: telapak
P: talampakan, talapakan

count
I: bilangan
P: bilang

say, tell
I: bilang
P: pulong

return
balik
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #5
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Austronesian

cheek
I: pipi
P: pisngi

bone
I: tulang
P: tul-an

tongue
I: lidah
P: dila


Have you noticed how D and L seem to be interchangeable in Indonesian and Philippine? Like nose = idung and ilong.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:10 PM   #6
Mercato
Sword of Gideon
 
Mercato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska North to the Future
Posts: 3,413
Likes (Received): 382

there is a tribe near the common borders of Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. they call themselves Bisaya. They have a common name with 3 tribes in central Philippines. We are also Bisaya with 3 sub groups = Waray, Ylonggo and Cebuano... It would be interesting to know more about this tribe in Borneo which seems similar to us.

I'm running out of words for now

Harimau
Tagalog = halimaw - monster
Bahasa = monster

Pulau
Tagalog = Pulo - island
Bahasa = island

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolang View Post
How do you say 'count' in Philippine? Is it similar to hitung or itung?
Bueno, we use the word "Cuenta" = to count
__________________
Hatikvah
Silver Surfer

Last edited by Mercato; September 2nd, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:39 PM   #7
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

bahasa = language

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
there is a tribe near the common borders of Malaysia, Brunei and Indonesia. they call themselves Bisaya. They have a common name with 3 tribes in central Philippines. We are also Bisaya with 3 sub groups = Waray, Ylonggo and Cebuano... It would be interesting to know more about this tribe in Borneo which seems similar to us.

I'm running out of words for now

Harimau
Tagalog = halimaw - monster
Bahasa = monster

Pulau
Tagalog = Pulo - island
Bahasa = island
I didn't know about the Bisaya on Kalimantan. Interesting.

Btw, bahasa means 'language'.
So in Indonesian/Malaysian:
Bahasa Inggris = English language
Bahasa Tagalog = Tagalog language
Bahasa Sebuano = Cebuano language
Bahasa Indonesia = Indonesian language
Bahasa Malaysia = Malaysian language
Bahasa Spanyol = Spanish language
etc.

Harimau means 'tiger'. A monster is monster in Indonesian.

'Island' is pulau, yet often pronounced like pulo.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Bueno, we use the word "Cuenta" = to count
You mean kuwenta?
You guys are so spanicized it's almost unbelievable.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Animo
I'm Watching You
 
Animo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 9,646
Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolang View Post
lip(s)
I: bibir
P: bibig
Actually, lips is called labi from Spanish labios. Bibig means mouth in Tagalog and Bah-bah or Bábá in Cebuano.
Animo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:44 PM   #9
Mercato
Sword of Gideon
 
Mercato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska North to the Future
Posts: 3,413
Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolang View Post
lip(s)
I: bibir
P: bibig
Could it also be the Portuguese influence? Hmmm,

drink
spanish = beber
portuguese = beber

live
spanish = vivir
portuguese = viver
__________________
Hatikvah
Silver Surfer
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM   #10
crappypants
SPEED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pasig city/ makati
Posts: 2,207
Likes (Received): 302

interesting, let's get in touch with our malay race, there is always a thread about Spanish background but never on this.
I think also cinta in indo and sinta in tagalog is the same. love

i also saw tolak or someting like that in a malaysian airplane bathroom
which i presume is push?
in pilipino it's tulak.

mangan or makan is also eat in ilucano and kapampangan.

pintu, door, pinto

kambing , goat is similar.
__________________
GORDON FOR PRESIDENT 2016 . BF FOR VICE PRESIDENT
SAVE PASIG RIVER.
THE LOWLY WILL BE EXALTED, THE NOBLES WILL BE DEVOURED.

crappypants liked this post a million times
crappypants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:14 PM   #11
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Austronesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappypants View Post
interesting, let's get in touch with our malay race, there is always a thread about Spanish background but never on this.
I think also cinta in indo and sinta in tagalog is the same. love

i also saw tolak or someting like that in a malaysian airplane bathroom
which i presume is push?
in pilipino it's tulak.

mangan or makan is also eat in ilucano and kapampangan.

pintu, door, pinto

kambing , goat is similar.
Thanks.

Tolak means 'to push' in some dialects. In standard Indonesian it means 'refuse', which is semantically related to 'push'

Mangan is Javanese for 'eat'.

new
Tagalog, Cebuano: bago
Ilokano: baro
Indonesian: baru

four
I: empat
Bahasa Manado: ampa
P, and in many Indonesian dialects: apat
Pangasinan: apatira
Malagasy (in Madagascar!): efatra


The numbers in Javanese are:
1 siji
2 loro
3 telu
4 papat
5 lima
6 enem
7 pitu
8 walu
9 sanga
10 sepuluh

They are somehow closer to Philippine languages than Standard Indonesian.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:18 PM   #12
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Bibir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animo View Post
Actually, lips is called labi from Spanish labios. Bibig means mouth in Tagalog and Bah-bah or Bábá in Cebuano.
There's always a semantic drift between languages. I'm pretty sure that bibir and bibig have the same origins, and that bibir doesn't have anything to do with Portuguese or Spanish.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM   #13
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

kambing

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappypants View Post
kambing , goat is similar.
Not only similar. It's identical.

Talk about animals, 'dog' is asu in Javanese.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:22 PM   #14
Mercato
Sword of Gideon
 
Mercato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska North to the Future
Posts: 3,413
Likes (Received): 382

Ei, bro. I remember this at the Jakarta Airport long time ago..

Buka
tagalog & cebuano = to open
bahasa = gate

Bukaka
tagalog & cebuano = **** censored**** nah, it's wide open but with heavy connotations
bahasa = ??

*********

Let us investigate this very endearing Austronesian word = LIMA = 5 coz it has withstood time and can be found in many, many, many austronesian descendants like all filipino languages use lime, bahasa i think uses it, many indonesian languages use it, it is used in Hawaiian plus many polynesian languages... nothin much, Lima strikes a deep austronesian chord somewhere, no?
__________________
Hatikvah
Silver Surfer
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM   #15
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Ei, bro. I remember this at the Jakarta Airport long time ago..

Buka
tagalog & cebuano = to open
bahasa = gate

Bukaka
tagalog & cebuano = **** censored**** nah, it's wide open but with heavy connotations
bahasa = ??

*********

Let us investigate this very endearing Austronesian word = LIMA = 5 coz it has withstood time and can be found in many, many, many austronesian descendants like all filipino languages use lime, bahasa i think uses it, many indonesian languages use it, it is used in Hawaiian plus many polynesian languages... nothin much, Lima strikes a deep austronesian chord somewhere, no?
In Indonesian, buka also means open.
Bahasa, as I mentioned before, means language.


Yeah. Lima and mata seem to have remained the same in most Austronesian languages.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM   #16
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

white worship

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappypants View Post
interesting, let's get in touch with our malay race, there is always a thread about Spanish background but never on this.
I have to say that I got sick of our "worship" of everything European.
How basically all of the so called beauty products or operations aim to make us look (more) European.
And how the models, actors, celebs in Asia tend to look European.

I'm not saying that Europeans are not good, but we could at least stop misprizing our "Malayness", darkness (of complexion), shortness, wide nose, etc. as if it were something inferior.
Hell the Spanish didn't treat us that well, why should we continue adhering to the white-is-better-mentality?

Sorry for not being politically correct. I probably am even exaggerating, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Again, I don't think European is bad. My Spanish is not bad and I have friends from Spain. But we need more appreciation of who we are.

Now back to languages. Austronesian languages.
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:12 PM   #17
Mercato
Sword of Gideon
 
Mercato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Anchorage, Alaska North to the Future
Posts: 3,413
Likes (Received): 382

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolang View Post
I'm not saying that Europeans are not good, but we could at least stop misprizing our "Malayness", darkness (of complexion), shortness, wide nose, etc. as if it were something inferior.
Hell the Spanish didn't treat us that well, why should we continue adhering to the white-is-better-mentality?

Sorry for not being politically correct. I probably am even exaggerating, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Again, I don't think European is bad. My Spanish is not bad and I have friends from Spain. But we need more appreciation of who we are.

Now back to languages. Austronesian languages.
Point well taken, bro... howbeit I thought Indonesia was under the Portuguese and the Dutch but never under the Spanish...

Now 'twas the Philippines which was under the Spanish...

Truth can be stranger than fiction these days. ... ah yes... where were we? Austronesian, as a matter of fact...
__________________
Hatikvah
Silver Surfer
Mercato no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:32 PM   #18
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

bukid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercato View Post
Point well taken, bro... howbeit I thought Indonesia was under the Portuguese and the Dutch but never under the Spanish...

Now 'twas the Philippines which was under the Spanish...

Truth can be stranger than fiction these days. ... ah yes... where were we? Austronesian, as a matter of fact...
I know. I was just simplifying things. If I wanted to be correct, I would've had to say Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, French, Americans, depending on where you are.


Another word I remember with semantic drift.
I: bukit, meaning hill.
P: bukid, meaning mountain.

wood
I: kayu
P: kahoy
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:37 PM   #19
xolang
Mensch
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 521
Likes (Received): 0

manuk, manok

chicken, bird
In many Indonesian and Philippine dialects: manuk, manok
xolang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 10:06 PM   #20
crappypants
SPEED
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: pasig city/ makati
Posts: 2,207
Likes (Received): 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by xolang View Post
I have to say that I got sick of our "worship" of everything European.
How basically all of the so called beauty products or operations aim to make us look (more) European.
And how the models, actors, celebs in Asia tend to look European.

I'm not saying that Europeans are not good, but we could at least stop misprizing our "Malayness", darkness (of complexion), shortness, wide nose, etc. as if it were something inferior.
Hell the Spanish didn't treat us that well, why should we continue adhering to the white-is-better-mentality?

Sorry for not being politically correct. I probably am even exaggerating, but I just had to get it off my chest.

Again, I don't think European is bad. My Spanish is not bad and I have friends from Spain. But we need more appreciation of who we are.

Now back to languages. Austronesian languages.
Yeah, I'm glad for the indonesian people for if it weren't for them the malay race might go extinct similar to the fate of other Austronesian peoples. If not for Indonesia the whole SE asia will be just an extension of CHina. nothing wrong with CHinese but it's better with variety and not one race overwhelming the others. Thailand , malaysia and singapore already gone that route.
ok sorry if it's ot . back to language.
__________________
GORDON FOR PRESIDENT 2016 . BF FOR VICE PRESIDENT
SAVE PASIG RIVER.
THE LOWLY WILL BE EXALTED, THE NOBLES WILL BE DEVOURED.

crappypants liked this post a million times
crappypants no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like v3.2.5 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

Hosted by Blacksun, dedicated to this site too!
Forum server management by DaiTengu