daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old August 16th, 2006, 09:20 AM   #1
jmcy

Likes (Received): 0

Roberts Wharf

Hi all,
anyone got any opinions / thoughts on the Roberts Wharf development which is starting completions now. Its a small(ish) development of about 200 apartments that seem to be well speced. From what I can see its pretty much sold out.
jmcy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old August 16th, 2006, 07:54 PM   #2
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 121

Hi jmcy.

I think it will be very popular as it is in just about the most desirable part of the city centre to live in, and the fact that it is high quality in a characterful development. I'm not at all surprised it is all sold out, I would expect it fetched good prices and would be a good investment for those who bought into it.

I like the name of the place too ;o) although I'm a little biased on that one.
Rob está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:43 PM   #3
jimbo

Likes (Received): 5

Roberts Wharf has been mentioned in the East Street thread, and also in the Clarence Dock thread, but as a rare conversion in Leeds, its certainly got some kudos. I'm just hoping the newbuild element isn't too overbearing on the lovely old mill.

A few of my photos:
Prior to works starting (last summer I think it was)

last October, and wrapped up in scaffolding

december 28th,

january 06

most recent, May 06, with the new build element clearly visible

N.B. Crikey, 21 pages of images saved on imagestation - good time series of development from back to April 05 - boy, BWP looked different. When complete I may have to do a quick time lapse posting with one photo every 3 months. this time last year there was three stumpy cores with yellow boxes around them.

anyway, go Roberts Wharf!
jimbo no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2006, 09:45 PM   #4
jimbo

p.s. apartments will be sold at a premium because Roberts Wharf probably has more character in one apartment than West Central et al has in its entire development. Viva la conversion.
Old August 16th, 2006, 11:30 PM   #5
aviator

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo
......Prior to works starting (last summer I think it was)

The scaffolding's off the top two floors and it's looking good. If I'm being hypercritical, the balconies are a bit small. On the other hand, they've punched some huge windows through the wall to the left of the corner chimney in Jimbo's picture. That end looks stunning, I think, though I'm not sure of how the new build will marry with the old. I must get down there with the old Instamatic one sunny day soon.
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2006, 01:39 PM   #6
Leeds_John

More to come
Leeds_John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2006, 11:22 PM   #7
jimbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds_John

More to come
superb - well down Leeds_John. Those little balconies look fine, nothing too over intrusive - I thought we might end up with wideass decks which could cover up most of the frontage up. You know, I would have loved to see the old Roberts Mart & Co Ltd lettering left up there. A bit funky retro perhaps?
Old August 31st, 2006, 12:06 PM   #8
di Livio

Likes (Received): 294

Quote:
You know, I would have loved to see the old Roberts Mart & Co Ltd lettering left up there.
Me too. I hope this conversion retains some of the aura of the original mill.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 02:53 PM   #9
harryd

Likes (Received): 6

Yeah - taking the lettering off has really damaged the finished look and authenticity of the mill I think.
harryd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2006, 03:23 PM   #10
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 424

I agree; all the same its still good. But character has been lost.
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:59 AM   #11
Jebus

Seems to be coming along nicely. I agree about lettering thing it would have been good if they left it on. But I think that maybe the balconies would have covered up most of the lettering. Anyway here's a few pics

Old September 3rd, 2006, 10:36 AM   #12
jimbo

thanks for those Jebus. The 4th photo shows the new build at the back of the site and backing onto East Street - seems reasonable from a distance. The main builk of the building appears to be in a red brick with a similar hue to the conversion, with a silver/grey appearance dominating the top 3 floors (hope to god that isn't the crappy grey plastic pannelling seen on West Point).

Its quite sympathetic to the old conversion actually, even down to the shape and size of the windows which seem to correspond.

Next big test will be the look of the downstream, curved newbuild section, and more importantly, will it pass the Smoggie test?
Old September 3rd, 2006, 01:18 PM   #13
Skid-Mark
Punctual and polite

Does this have an official website, i'd love to see the interiors of these apartments, i love ware house conversions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stourbridgebaggie View Post
this has decended into farce...
Skid-Mark no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:01 PM   #14
Jebus

I think the new build part at the back looks pretty good, the grey plastic cladding is similar to West Point but looks alot better here

Old September 3rd, 2006, 03:09 PM   #15
di Livio

Likes (Received): 294

Love the windows.
Perhaps the 'Roberts Mart & co ltd' lettering will be put back on later.
di Livio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2006, 04:55 PM   #16
Smoggie_Si
Bermondsey Boro

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Next big test will be the look of the downstream, curved newbuild section, and more importantly, will it pass the Smoggie test?
Yeah I guess I have been pretty vocal about this scheme!

Positive impressions first, I think the conversion is excellent. The addition of new windows and balconies has been really sympathetically done and is in character with the building. As other people have mentioned, it's a pity that the sign has been removed. With the installation of the balconies they wouldn't have worked in their original location but could have been moved up to the top of the building. Still I don't think the lettering is crucial to the quality of the scheme.

However I really don't like the new build element. It's pretty bland and I never think that trying to match materials to an existing building works well, particularly with former industrial buildings. The results are far better in my opinion when completely different materials and styles are used as a juxtaposition.

2 examples of this being done particularly well IMO:

Meatpacking District, New York

The Jam Factory, just round the corner from me in London

Simpsons Fold and Fearne Island Mills are good examples of combining styles to good effect in Leeds.

The curved joining section will make or break the scheme aesthetically, if it's done in the same style as the rest of the new build I fear that it will look compromised.
Smoggie_Si no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2006, 01:52 PM   #17
aviator

I don't know why I hadn't spotted this sooner but the floor to ceiling windows will make the riverside flats incredibly sunny. Almost makes me want to give up my suburban garden!

Old September 25th, 2006, 03:55 PM   #18
Leeds_John

I'd sure love to live in this conversion, shame i work out in the suburbs
Leeds_John no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #19
jimbo

great photo aviator. had a wander around the site this weekend and took a few photos which I'll post later this week, but think the conversion is superb, and the new build stairwells work rather well with the deep red cladding mirroring the red of the bricks (I presume that was intentional!).

The mix of newbuild and conversion (Fearn Island Mills, Trinity 1 and Roberts Wharf) seems to work really well. I can imagine this area really developing into a pleasant little neighbourhood if they get a little bar or cafe in the ground floor somewhere.

I the immortal words of Andy...... 'want that one'.

Balcony and river view - thank you very much.
Old October 15th, 2006, 05:23 PM   #20
aviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoggie_Si View Post
......The curved joining section will make or break the scheme aesthetically, if it's done in the same style as the rest of the new build I fear that it will look compromised.
I agree with all you've said about this development though I don't think the new build looks too bad. It's just that I would have preferred a greater contrast.

The corner section looks as though it's going to be almost completely glazed which should provide a decent contrast to what's either side as well as making an effective link.