daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Around the Philippines > Transport, Urban Planning and Infrastructure > Urban Planning

Old December 14th, 2004, 01:20 AM   #1
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Likes (Received): 38

Downtowns and Urban Centers - Compiled Threads

**WARNING!

this is somewhat long, and maybe some of you know it already. while following the ongoings back home especially the series of typhoons that devastated several provinces especially aurora and quezon, i read an article somewhere about this ecozone project that's been blamed for the vast denudation of forests in that region. i thought you guys might be interested on this, and if you have knowledge about it please do share with us it looks like it is a very promising project since little development is done in that part of the country. however, if it is indeed the reason for the tragic landslides that killed hundreds of lives recently, then what can i say... it's just so sad.

SPECIAL ECONOMIC ZONE

A bill is currently pending at the House of Representatives that will pave the way for the creation of a Special Economic Zone for the entire province of Aurora. This will spearhead the steady flow of investments not only from Philippine entities, but from international enterprises as well.

Another great opportunity for investors is the Pacific Coast City Ecozone. This Special Economic Zone is a massive project to develop a new coastal city in the provinces of Aurora and Quezon. The development plan involves the construction of an airport, seaport, new roads, resorts, and residential, commercial and industrial areas.

1. What is the Pacific Coast City Ecozone?
The Special Economic Zone and Tourism Estate was created in January 2000 through Proclamation No. 233 by President Joseph Estrada, pursuant to the Special Economic Zones Act of 1995.

The proclamation designates certain areas located in Barangay Umiray, Dingalan, Aurora Province and in Barangay Umiray, Gen. Nakar, Quezon Province. These areas collectively make up the new "Pacific Coast City Ecozone." The entire ecozone area comprises some 30,000 hectares.

Within the framework of the Constitution and the Local Government Code, the ecozone will be developed into a decentralized, self-reliant and self-sustaining agro-industrial, commercial, financial, investment and tourist center with suitable retirement and residential areas.

The ecozone will be provided with transportation, telecommunications and other facilities needed to attract legitimate and productive foreign investments, and generate linkage industries and employment opportunities for the people of the province and neighboring towns and cities.

The ecozone will be managed and operated as a separate customs territory to facilitate the free flow, entry and movement of goods. Foreign citizens and companies owned by non-Filipinos in whatever proportion may set up enterprises in the ecozone either by themselves or in joint venture with Filipinos in any sector of industry, international trade and commerce.

2. What are its 5 Phases of Development?
The Pacific Coastal City Ecozone plan designates five distinct phases of development through the year 2020. At each successive stage, major infrastructure investments in transportation and utility systems will create new real estate development opportunities.

The early phases will create predominantly resort and second home sites, together with potential government, corporate and academic location opportunities.

Later phases will provide a greater variety of development opportunities, including institutional, industrial and commercial land to support the growing resident population.

Phase I (1996-2000)
Independent growth centers opened up in sequence, or simultaneously, based upon improved coastal road access and a new commuter airport.

Development Opportunities
Marina/Resort 300 ha
Residential 400 ha
University 200 ha
Commuter Airport 100 ha

Infrastructure Opportunities:
Coastal access toll road to Infanta
Commuter airport
Flood control
Utility systems
- Power generation & distribution
- Telecommunications
- Water systems, sewage collection & treatment

Phase II (2001-2005)
Expansion of water-oriented resort uses together with growth of support services for year-round residents.

Marina/Resort 200 ha
Residential 650 ha
Commercial 150 ha
University 200 ha
Central City 150 ha

Infrastructure Opportunities
Utility system expansion
Port facilities at Dingalan (Phase I)

Phase III (2006-2010)
The city begins to mature as the nature of development diversifies from its earlier resort-oriented origins.

Residential 1000 ha
Commercial 200 ha
University 200 ha
Central City 200 ha
Industrial 350 ha

Utility system expansion
Port facilities at Dingalan (Phase I)

Phase IV (2011-2015)
Completion of a road link from Manila through the Sierra Madre mountains provides impetus for expanded growth along the Umiray River Corridor.

Residential 1500 ha
Commercial 300 ha
University 200 ha
Central City 300 ha
Industrial 450 ha

Access toll road to Metro Manila
Utility system expansion
Regional airport (Phase I)

Phase V (2016-2020)
Completion of a rail link from Manila to Dingalan Port through the site, together with a new regional airport provide the final links in the regional transportation system.

Residential 2000 ha
Commercial 350 ha
Central City 350 ha
Industrial 500 ha

Infrastructure Opportunities:
Commuter and cargo rail link to Metro Manila
Regional Airport expansion
Utility system expansion

More here

For more information contact:

Mr. Rafael Perez de Tagle, Jr.
Fil-Estate Properties, Inc.
Manila Tel. [632] 633-6271

source: www.aurora.ph

Sponsored Links

Old December 14th, 2004, 02:39 AM   #2
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 154

so if this is done, this will be the pacific end of the extension of Subic-Clark-Tarlac Expressway that leads to the eastern corridor?

that seems to be a good project... but I hope they have prepared for the disaster caused by this development...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 03:43 AM   #3
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

Likes (Received): 0

Sounds interesting.
I asked my housemates who live in Quezon about this..but unfornately, they know nothing.
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:02 AM   #4
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhe-ann
Sounds interesting.
I asked my housemates who live in Quezon about this..but unfornately, they know nothing.
sounds interesting indeed. here's an excerpt from an article published on abs-cbnnews.com dated Dec. 9th, 2004:

"...the New Pacific Coast City (NPCC) or the so-called “world-class” metropolis was intended to serve as an attractive alternative to heavily congested Metro Manila and is taking shape in the boundaries of the coastal towns of Dingalan in Aurora and Infanta, Quezon.

The 80,000-hectare area will host industrial cities, a government center, forest and wildlife preserves, residential areas, workers’ city, an educational city, tourism center, a religious center, a movie capital, and an Olympic-style sports center and will also include a ‘Pentaport’ allegedly by government consisting of an airport, seaport, telecommunications port, business port, and ecotourism port all in one site.

[The plan was] contained in a development master plan entitled, ‘The Luzon Seaboard Strategic Scheme and the New Pacific Coast City’ by the Green Square Properties and Resources Inc. and Green Circle Properties and Resources Inc."

click here to read the whole article.
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:14 AM   #5
ryanr
Registered non-User

Likes (Received): 11

I've heard about this. And like i mentioned in another thread, this is pretty important since a seaport here will make an ideal hub for trading. Very good news
ryanr no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:24 AM   #6
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyX
I've heard about this. And like i mentioned in another thread, this is pretty important since a seaport here will make an ideal hub for trading. Very good news
ooppss, sorry greyX. i think i missed that post
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:29 AM   #7
ryanr
Registered non-User

Its alright We needed a thread about it, anyways. And you have provided lots of information.
Old December 14th, 2004, 04:31 AM   #8
tyronne
Khal vezhven!

Old December 14th, 2004, 04:40 AM   #9
JudeD

Likes (Received): 107

Here are pics of the site for the proposed Pacific Coast City. I went there last November, before the typhoons.

It's a cove so you get to see the hills meet and embrace the ocean, the water is very flat.

As of now the area is not very developed, so transforming it into a major port is going to be a huge project. You need to pass through stretches of dirt road just to get there.

JudeD no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2004, 05:50 AM   #10
mhe-ann
Federer Express!!!

ohh. thanks for the pics @JudeD.
Old December 14th, 2004, 11:31 AM   #11
ryanr
Registered non-User

I wonder how that area looks like post-typhoon.
Old December 14th, 2004, 09:23 PM   #12
Edmundtanso

Likes (Received): 2

i am worried, this project would worsten the environment in that area...
Old December 14th, 2004, 10:30 PM   #13
eNoZaNeWoR

i agree....i don't think they need to kill more environment. Build somewhere else. That area looks quite pretty as is!!! i hope this "proposal" (hope it's still a proposal) gets KILLED!
eNoZaNeWoR no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:40 AM   #14
pau_p1
Proud to be Filipino

Likes (Received): 154

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyronne
sounds interesting indeed. here's an excerpt from an article published on abs-cbnnews.com dated Dec. 9th, 2004:

"...the New Pacific Coast City (NPCC) or the so-called “world-class” metropolis was intended to serve as an attractive alternative to heavily congested Metro Manila and is taking shape in the boundaries of the coastal towns of Dingalan in Aurora and Infanta, Quezon.

The 80,000-hectare area will host industrial cities, a government center, forest and wildlife preserves, residential areas, workers’ city, an educational city, tourism center, a religious center, a movie capital, and an Olympic-style sports center and will also include a ‘Pentaport’ allegedly by government consisting of an airport, seaport, telecommunications port, business port, and ecotourism port all in one site.

[The plan was] contained in a development master plan entitled, ‘The Luzon Seaboard Strategic Scheme and the New Pacific Coast City’ by the Green Square Properties and Resources Inc. and Green Circle Properties and Resources Inc."

click here to read the whole article.
well I hope they do manage the forest and wildlife preserve properly...... anyways.. this would be a great project as long as it is managed and planned properly...
pau_p1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:05 AM   #15
Edmundtanso

Likes (Received): 2

i agree as long as ir is managed properly, but how we know about our gov't officials, i don't know....
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:05 AM   #16
thomasian
I'm sorry ...moving on

Likes (Received): 487

Maybe what they are planning to build is something that looks like Subic. Wherein there's a port, industrial zones, entertainment venues etc., but still, the forest and wildlife is well preserved like that in Subic.
Old December 15th, 2004, 11:11 AM   #17
renell
Here Since 2002

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmundtanso
i am worried, this project would worsten the environment in that area...
but if poeple develop the land, there would be more conservation awareness, like ryan says, like for Subic. Helps the area too with some income.
Old December 15th, 2004, 04:22 PM   #18
ryanr
Registered non-User

^Exactly, renell and thomasian is right....Subic is generating lots of investment, therefore revenue for our country. At the same time, it has some of the country's best protected environment (the bay and its surrounding forests). The key is to proper management and development, then it should be a very productive hub for our country at the same time being environmentally friendly (illegal logging in that area has already caused enough damage).
Old December 18th, 2004, 01:23 AM   #19
Thunderflip
Selbstmordberliner

Likes (Received): 3

Wow, another ambitious project!
How much is 800,000 hectares in km² if I may ask? Sorry for my ignorance...
Thunderflip no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2004, 06:05 AM   #20
thomasian
I'm sorry ...moving on

Likes (Received): 487

I'm not so sure about this but I think, 1 hectare = 10,000 m².
If my calculations are right then it would be 8,000,000 km²

Tags
city center, downtown, philippines