daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Development News Forums > Supertalls > Proposed Supertalls

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old November 7th, 2010, 03:32 PM   #21
djm160190

Likes (Received): 795

I really don't get how those huge sections attached to the main tower structure will be supported?! I can't see this tower being built...
djm160190 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 7th, 2010, 04:10 PM   #22
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

are they sure they build it in taichung and not on the moon? Or are they planning to inactivate gravity for that building But yeah when it really can be build like that it would surely look epic
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:21 PM   #23
Hightech Pro

Likes (Received): 21

Maybe those huge bubbles will be filled with Helium. They look very much like zeppelins to me and they even have a propeller attached, if you look closely. I am just curious what a typhoon would do with those things.
Hightech Pro no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2010, 05:26 PM   #24
KillerZavatar
also known as Wally

Likes (Received): 8360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hightech Pro View Post
Maybe those huge bubbles will be filled with Helium. They look very much like zeppelins to me and they even have a propeller attached, if you look closely. I am just curious what a typhoon would do with those things.
even if its full of helium it cannot support a serious construction. every lack would cause a lot of money to be wasted and it would be too dangerous, also helium is not light enough to support anything heavy such as glass or steel or whatever they plan to do.
KillerZavatar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:47 AM   #25
oscarinho

Likes (Received): 1

As it was said in previous post by williamchung7 it's just a conceptual design competition, so this tower will not be built.
They hope that this competition and the winner can bring some news ideas, for the next competition, the competition for the real Taichung tower.
oscarinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:16 PM   #26
williamchung7

Likes (Received): 255

2nd prize
by Cook Robotham Architectural Bureau Limited

3rd prize
by Irma Maria Coella Munoz

williamchung7 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:22 PM   #27
williamchung7

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscarinho View Post
As it was said in previous post by williamchung7 it's just a conceptual design competition, so this tower will not be built.
They hope that this competition and the winner can bring some news ideas, for the next competition, the competition for the real Taichung tower.
I am bit surprise no one pick that commcent. That's my current understanding to this competition based on the information I have.

Maybe people's sight is attracted by these strange designs.

Last edited by williamchung7; November 8th, 2010 at 06:04 PM.
Old November 8th, 2010, 05:28 PM   #28
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
Wow, stunning! Weird projects are normally ugly, but this one looks incredible. It's very innovative imo, and will look great once built.
Unless those blobs are big balloons filled with gas, that 'once' will be very, very far into the future . But I agree it looks great.
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #29
oscarinho

Yes , it's what i understand.

There is a extract Question & Answer from the the competition website

I-24
--Will the winner of the Concept Design Competition be invited to the next competition? How will the awarded proposals be used in the next stage?

All of the qualified participants for the procurement competition (The qualification is different from this competition) are welcome to join the procurement project competition. We hope to collect some new ideas for the tower in order to fabricate the requirements of the next competition.

I-25
--Is it either "idea" only competition or realising competition.

The competition is a “conceptual” competition. The awarded project won’t be built. In next year, we will conduct a procurement project competition. The awarded project will be built.

But in all the news about the tower, they say that the project will be built
by 2012. I think that sometimes journalist don't know what there are talking about.
Or maybe it's a surprise, they don't want start a new competition and
they gonna built these tower.

I read an interview of Stefan Dorin , the winner and even him, don't know what they gonna do after!

so for the moment we can just enjoy the render! haha

from http://design-daily.com/2010/11/dsba...wer-in-taiwan/

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

oscarinho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 06:12 PM   #30
mariusCT
since 600 BC

Likes (Received): 439

in an interview for the romanian press, Dorin Stefan declared that those "baloons" are actually zeppelins (100 metres long), which will be used as some kind of elevators.
mariusCT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2010, 07:00 PM   #31
Atmosphere
Live from the sky!

Likes (Received): 807

Besides that it looks very cool, I don't get the concept of using balloons of elevators.... Why would it be better than normal elevators?
Old November 8th, 2010, 09:05 PM   #32
olimpiu_24

Likes (Received): 0

The city wants a landmark building, something to attract tourists and this building/zeppelins combination would be a jaw drop experience.

If you want to see the tallest building and take the fastest elevators in the world then you can go to Dubai (Burj Khalifa), but it you want to experience something really exceptional then what would be better than taking some zeppelins up instead of the usual elevator, and actually enjoying the view while taking a slow ride, of course they would not be fast but it would be a once in a lifetime experience.

If they act as elevators, then I presume the zeppelins would be lowered down if there would be any high wind conditions, so it would be safe.

As a tourist to ride those zeppelins attached to the building you would feel like the first people that went up the Eiffel Tower in Paris.

We like it or not in the recent decades we have been lazy on the technology side, of course we improve things, make them better, more modern but it seams that we do not come up with new things anymore. I am not a SF geek dreaming about Star Wars galactic ships, but I want to see us evolve on the technology. For the past 20-30 years the cars have changed just a little, the planes almost insignificantly (still the same engines, same wings, same shape), the buildings the same, so maybe it is time to invent new better buildings/transportation/etc.

I want to get to see the technology change before I die.

Last edited by olimpiu_24; November 8th, 2010 at 09:17 PM.
olimpiu_24 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 12:09 AM   #33
grafralf

Likes (Received): 24

weird O_o
grafralf no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 10:50 AM   #34
hids

my design was so tame compared to the winners

though i admire the effort that went into the design, i just can't see how they reflect the project requirements. if you look at the competition brief they went on and on on Seismic/Lateral Force requirements and the need to be contextual etc...First two will be a nightmare for structural engineer, especially since a fault line runs thru the site. Third place design is much more practical, but i don't like how it sits on the site...at least from the rendering there is nothing happening at the ground level....

also, one of the submission requirements was Estimated Total Cost for the proposed design and i would love to see the cost proposals and how they came up with that

though it was a conceptual design competition, the design brief was misleading with their very practical requirements.

congratulations to the winners anyway!!
hids no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2010, 11:54 AM   #35
jamesbaig

i do believe it's no longer the tallest building in the world, overshadowed slightly by the burj dubai.
Old November 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM   #36
olimpiu_24

In the romanian newspaper Gandul, the architect says the tower will be built. This will not be an office tower (will have just some administration office space, a museum, restaurants) but the key role of the building will be as a tourist tower, like Eiffel tower.

Before coming up with the design the team brainstormed and found that in the taiwanese culture there is a symbolic Money Tree, considered as bringing prosperity and good luck so they started the design from that idea.

About the zeppelins he says that (I don't know if I translate correctly the words) the zeppelins will be covered with a very resistant tetraethylene layer.

He's also saying to imagine a tree that has gliding leafs. There will be 8 zeppelins, ranging from 60 to 100 meters, inside there will be restaurants (made of steel & glass), cafe shops, observation decks and they will hold between 50 to 80 people.

The connection between the zeppelins and the tower will be some gliding electromagnetic articulations, like the ones from the high speed trains.

He says that the weight of the steel and the glass will be easily supported by the helium, also the zeppelins will be placed down on some nests and will be raised only when the meteorological conditions allow it.

The rain water will be recycled for the heating and the hot water, the electricity will be made by solar panels and wind turbines.

The architect is the vice-president of the Order of Architects of Romania and member of the Urbanism Planning Commission for Bucharest, Romania.

Dorin Stefan had a team of 7 other people that worked on this project: Dorin Stefan, Adrian Arendt, Bogdan Radu Chipara, Corina Fodor, Anda Stefan, Mihai Bogdan Craciun, Claudiu Barsan-Pipu, Oana Maria Nituica.

In the newspaper articles he is saying that although the tower will be built following the winning project by the romanian architects, it is not yet known who will make the final construction plans. He says that for the second phase of the project there will be much more work to come, requiring a team of 50 people to work for 1 year on this project before they can start building, but he says the construction will begin in 2012 and be ready in 2014
Old November 9th, 2010, 03:45 PM   #37
hids

Quote:
Originally Posted by olimpiu_24 View Post

He says that the weight of the steel and the glass will be easily supported by the helium, also the zeppelins will be placed down on some nests and will be raised only when the meteorological conditions allow it.
in that case the zeppelins will always be grounded...they will see that it won't work if they do wind-tunnel testing....

also imagine being in a restaurant within the zeppelin when an earthquake hits, it will be crazy since the zeppelins are tethered asymmetrically on one end and with the vibration, it will be a spin-cycle.

it is clearly stated that none of the winning project swill be automatically selected for construction. procurement competition will be a separate one, next year, and the winners are welcome to compete...so he is misinformed that his project is going to be built...
Old November 9th, 2010, 05:02 PM   #38
olimpiu_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hids View Post
in that case the zeppelins will always be grounded...they will see that it won't work if they do wind-tunnel testing....

also imagine being in a restaurant within the zeppelin when an earthquake hits, it will be crazy since the zeppelins are tethered asymmetrically on one end and with the vibration, it will be a spin-cycle.

it is clearly stated that none of the winning project swill be automatically selected for construction. procurement competition will be a separate one, next year, and the winners are welcome to compete...so he is misinformed that his project is going to be built...
I just translated what was said in the newspaper
Old November 10th, 2010, 11:11 AM   #39
hids

olimpiu:

thanks for the translation and the images!...by "he was misinformed" i meant the Architect.

cheers!
Old November 13th, 2010, 09:32 PM   #40
williamchung7

Other not winning designs

by OODA + OOIIO

380m

http://oodarchitecture.wordpress.com...-tower-design/