daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Asian Forums > Philippine Forums > Projects and Construction > Cebu Projects on the Rise > Completed Projects

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 16th, 2011, 08:10 AM   #801
shonuff828

Likes (Received): 0

Thanks for the above. It sounds to me that those of us who have invested have legitimate complaints based on Filinvest's own literature. Anyone of us who have formally complained yet? Or should we consider something "class action"?
shonuff828 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 20th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #802
sephiroth1228

I wish we could do something about it. I tried sending them an email regarding our concerns but no luck.

I will try contacting someone else.
sephiroth1228 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2011, 11:50 AM   #803
brodix
Rgstrd Usr

Likes (Received): 256

i still think that a 3-star condotel unit pegged at PhP3M investment is legitimate and fair. it's mentioned on their brochures, once they operate, the room rates would be between PhP3,200 to 6,000. the room rates give you an idea of the star-rating of this hotel. 5-star hotels don't give such cheap rates unless they're on a campaign.

if i invested in it and paid 20M for a unit and was told in the later part that the 5-star rating was downgraded to just 3, i would dare go to the courts and complain. but if i only paid 3M for such a decent unit, lucky me if they'd upgrade the 3-star rating to 4.
brodix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 01:37 PM   #804
shonuff828

Quote:
Originally Posted by brodix View Post
i still think that a 3-star condotel unit pegged at PhP3M investment is legitimate and fair. it's mentioned on their brochures, once they operate, the room rates would be between PhP3,200 to 6,000. the room rates give you an idea of the star-rating of this hotel. 5-star hotels don't give such cheap rates unless they're on a campaign.

if i invested in it and paid 20M for a unit and was told in the later part that the 5-star rating was downgraded to just 3, i would dare go to the courts and complain. but if i only paid 3M for such a decent unit, lucky me if they'd upgrade the 3-star rating to 4.
Since you obviously HAVEN'T invested 1 dime in this project which is now more than 1 year past their initially projected completion date and is now downgrading without any discussion or compensation to the owners perhaps you should respectfully butt out or go ask for a raise from your apparent commission from FILINVEST.

This is a non waterfront property with modern yet compact studio rooms. Similar hotels In Cebu rated at 4 to 5 star are easily found at this minute at Radisson BLU or Marco Polo starting in the 3500 to 4000 peso range right now. This is a hotel, if you haven't noticed IN THE PHILIPPINES, where a 3 star rating will be perceived as equal to a 2.5 star in North America. I myself would not go out of my way to pick the "not so Grand" Cenia at 3 stars at 80 US a night seeing what is out there. And in fact as an owner who is expecting 2 weeks of use a year I'm not even keen to stay in a 3 star hotel PERIOD in the third world. I don't seek out 3 star hotels in North America either.

So don't tell me I am not entitled to have issue for this bait and switch crap because I didn't pay enough in your humble opinion. Sorry I didn't pay 6x as much which apparently is the threshold for being entitled to what was SOLD to me.

NOW going back to any other OWNERS here if you'd like to complain with a united front let yourselves be heard. I have already had discussions with a family friend lawyer from Cebu and maybe a class action suit is the way to make ourselves be taken seriously.
shonuff828 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2011, 03:03 PM   #805
brodix
Rgstrd Usr

Likes (Received): 256

please don't feel like i'm trying to stop you from suing filinvest. i was just speaking my mind about grand cenia's fair rate. sorry but i'm not getting any commissions from any developers. i don't need them!

what i'm trying to say is, as a buyer of any property or any product, my expectations should fall within what i have paid for. it's like buying a car, if i paid only PHP800,000, i shouldn't expect the amenities of a lexus, even if my agent told me so.

like you, i invest in real properties as well. as buyers we have to be smarter than the agents because it's our money, which is at stake.

then again PhP3M is a lot valuable and fair for what you've invested in Grand Cenia. this is a lot better than investing in american properties that have lost value. trust me because i work in an american bank. i think fair because i'm quite familiar with market movement.

please don't think that this is an attack. be open-minded. if i had friends who invested in the same property and felt like they were deceived, i would advise them the same way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shonuff828 View Post
Since you obviously HAVEN'T invested 1 dime in this project which is now more than 1 year past their initially projected completion date and is now downgrading without any discussion or compensation to the owners perhaps you should respectfully butt out or go ask for a raise from your apparent commission from FILINVEST.

This is a non waterfront property with modern yet compact studio rooms. Similar hotels In Cebu rated at 4 to 5 star are easily found at this minute at Radisson BLU or Marco Polo starting in the 3500 to 4000 peso range right now. This is a hotel, if you haven't noticed IN THE PHILIPPINES, where a 3 star rating will be perceived as equal to a 2.5 star in North America. I myself would not go out of my way to pick the "not so Grand" Cenia at 3 stars at 80 US a night seeing what is out there. And in fact as an owner who is expecting 2 weeks of use a year I'm not even keen to stay in a 3 star hotel PERIOD in the third world. I don't seek out 3 star hotels in North America either.

So don't tell me I am not entitled to have issue for this bait and switch crap because I didn't pay enough in your humble opinion. Sorry I didn't pay 6x as much which apparently is the threshold for being entitled to what was SOLD to me.

NOW going back to any other OWNERS here if you'd like to complain with a united front let yourselves be heard. I have already had discussions with a family friend lawyer from Cebu and maybe a class action suit is the way to make ourselves be taken seriously.
brodix no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:23 PM   #806
gdi2k

Updates

I was in Cebu last week to look at the property. Prior to that I checked in with my attorney. Here's what I learned:

In the Philippines, as per Presidential Decree 957, developers are required to register official marketing materials with the Housing and Land Use Regulatory Board (HLURB). Failing to do so is an offence, so I would presume that the marketing materials that included the false statements were registered properly, although I have not checked.

The developer is also required to deliver the property in line with the registered marketing materials, without substantial changes. If the developer does not, the buyer may pursue the developer legally to deliver as promised.

In practice, the developer would likely simply offer a refund instead, and may waive certain cancellation fees and / or interest payments depending on the negotiation. My experience has been exactly that - I complained, they apologised for making inaccurate representations and offered a refund if I wanted (terms not discussed).

I'm annoyed, but will likely not pursue this further. As a residential unit owner, the lack of gym was the big deal for me. Fitness First membership in Ayala is around P2.5k / month / person, so I'll have to stomach that instead. For condotel unit owners I can understand that the frustration must be worse, but I would speculate that it may be a better investment as a 3-star hotel, even if the investors have to stay in the Marriot when they visit instead.

Below are some pictures from my visit. Note that these are taken with a wide angle lens, so things appear distorted or smaller than they actually are (although at 78 sq m, it's certainly small by western standards).

Unfinished mockup on the 19th floor that is representative of my unit:
image hosted on flickr

master bedroom. The doors below the window provide access to the AC chiller unit (which is not provided).

image hosted on flickr

Looking back from the window in the master bedroom.

image hosted on flickr

Taken near the entrance looking across the living room / dining room.

image hosted on flickr

Taken from inside the second bedroom.

image hosted on flickr

Looking back from within second bedroom. Bathroom entrance in the background. Tiny bathrooms!

image hosted on flickr

Toilet

image hosted on flickr

Shower

image hosted on flickr

Kitchen

image hosted on flickr

View

Our actual unit higher up the building:
image hosted on flickr

Living / dining.

image hosted on flickr

Current state of finishes (or lack of).

image hosted on flickr

View

Rooftop views:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Pooldeck:
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

All in all, the people were very kind and accommodating, the visit was well organised, the site was clean and tidy compared to some I've seen, and things were generally good. We did have to walk the stairs due to the elevators not being operational yet though

What is very obvious to me is that there is no way this will be ready any time soon. I would think that there is at least 6 - 8 months more work in this before people could actually start living there. Having said that, the Avalon building just around the corner is barely a concrete shell, but displays the proud banner "Ready by December 2011". Hmm.

Let's hope good things come to those that wait.
gdi2k no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:43 PM   #807
cyberCEBU
Dislikes Received: 0

Likes (Received): 1150

nindot ug view ang cbp ug escario area.... nice sad ang lahug maynalang di klaro ang hipodromo hehe

CEBU
- an island in the pacific...
cyberCEBU no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM   #808
diehardbisdak
:-) good vibes!

Likes (Received): 10602

i'm not impressed sa furnishing...cheap ang look sa closet...dili pang condo...mora'g pang boarding house...sakto lang nga pang less than 3 stars lang dapat ang hotel nga mo-manage ani... ang money's worth lang ani is the view pero nagtan-aw lang ko sa pictures, mora'g na-suffocate na ko!

Last edited by diehardbisdak; August 24th, 2011 at 03:08 PM.
diehardbisdak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #809
flesh_is_weak
Oberste Richter

Likes (Received): 8

i'd agree with you...but then we'd have to remember that the philippines is still a third-world country...if developers would go all out with lavish designs and furnishing, then units would be priced way beyond what their target market could afford

although if so-called high-end projects like 1016(?) would sport similar interiors, i won't hesitate on raising a red flag

and besides, a good interior decorator can make even a container van look like a million-dollars

Last edited by flesh_is_weak; August 25th, 2011 at 06:28 AM.
flesh_is_weak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 25th, 2011, 08:39 AM   #810
taipan101

Likes (Received): 123

Quote:
Originally Posted by flesh_is_weak View Post
i'd agree with you...but then we'd have to remember that the philippines is still a third-world country...if developers would go all out with lavish designs and furnishing, then units would be priced way beyond what their target market could afford

although if so-called high-end projects like 1016(?) would sport similar interiors, i won't hesitate on raising a red flag

and besides, a good interior decorator can make even a container van look like a million-dollars
EXACTLY! Love that last quote.
Old August 25th, 2011, 04:01 PM   #811
gdi2k

The look of the furniture may not be to everyone's taste, but the quality is nothing to complain about; it's all Hńfele branded stuff (German). Personally I think nothing beats classic white in bedrooms and living spaces as you're not bound to a certain colour or style when you start adding furniture.

The bathroom fixtures were fine, certainly for the Philippines! I didn't check for branding.

My complaints would be that the cabinets didn't reach the ceiling (wasted space), the interior cabinet layouts may not suit the way we store stuff (easily changed), and that the flooring could have been better - I may change it for something higher quality and lighter in colour.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:26 PM   #812
sephiroth1228

I couldn't agree more. White is classic and elegant.

Got a word that the turnover is on or before Dec this year.
Old August 26th, 2011, 05:22 AM   #813
AmbutLang

Likes (Received): 165

gubuta sa mopalit condo oi. Himo nalang ko akong apatrment building unya ang living space akong puyan diferentia sa mga units below.
AmbutLang no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM   #814
harharhar

Hi All,

I'm glad to find this forum. To be honest, I started to get scared with my investment - the condotel unit. I'm not based in the Philippines so I'm not updated with that's going on. In May, I was informed that the opening was in September then recently, it was moved to December. Should I be scared? The reason I bought it was the guarantee that when I start paying for the 80% to UCPB, the hotel would be operating and it would start paying for the loan.

I;m really scared. I would love to hear your thoughts. Do you think someone will still buy a unit if I sell it?
harharhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #815
diehardbisdak
:-) good vibes!

Likes (Received): 10602

you need not worry...Filinvest is a very well known real estate developer in the country and has a good track record and one of the most stable and trusted companies...and absolutely not one of those "fly by night" companies...

Last edited by diehardbisdak; August 28th, 2011 at 03:45 PM.
diehardbisdak no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 06:02 AM   #816
Henz

Likes (Received): 2799

need not worry.... it is normal for developer to incur lapses.. specially there are problems on constructions and other factors....

Filinvest is a reputable developer rest assured that they will deliver...
Henz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2011, 09:43 AM   #817
gdi2k

I don't think there is any need to be seriously worried about your investment, although I wouldn't make any financial decisions based on the expected turnover dates put out by Filinvest. Like most developers, they're overly ambitious with their delivery dates. I was there last week, and I don't personally believe it will be possible to turn over anything by December. I would estimate end Q1 2012.
Old August 30th, 2011, 10:35 AM   #818
harharhar

Thank you for your inputs.
harharhar no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2011, 11:05 AM   #819
sephiroth1228

Thanks for the input as well guys. It removed some doubts about my investment with them.

Oh by the way, anyone who is interested in MW Mactan project, PM me. Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2011, 01:47 AM   #820
BAKLANGCEBU
Dalagang Cebuana

Likes (Received): 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by sephiroth1228 View Post
Thanks for the input as well guys. It removed some doubts about my investment with them.

Oh by the way, anyone who is interested in MW Mactan project, PM me. Thanks!
what do you mean by mw mactan project ? mw is for megaworld ?

Tags
ayala, cebu, condotel, philippines, residential, visayas