daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Photo forums > Photo Forum



Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.


Reply

 
Thread Tools
Old November 9th, 2017, 01:39 PM   #2061
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime
 
Caisson Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Town, SA
Posts: 1,154
Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
No way, I've seen photos of BA at street level and it's scruffy as hell (you can see its economy has not been growing for a while). No ways it compares to the refined and maintained urbanism/infrastructure of CPT and soon Joburg.
No offence, but when last were you there? My experience (I was there in September and October) was not scruffy at all. There is also a huge construction boom, notably in Puerto Madero. Their underground railway system is super efficient and well maintained, their urban rail infrastructure is world class, as well as their BRT and other bus services. All of this on a scale not found in any of our cities.
__________________
I have a good mind to ring Paris Hilton. I reckon she'd be gropable if she knew what a bunch of airheads are running her motel.
Caisson Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old November 9th, 2017, 02:03 PM   #2062
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime
 
Caisson Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Town, SA
Posts: 1,154
Likes (Received): 114

I would not exactly describe this as "Scruffy as hell", but then maybe that is just an opinion too. Moderators, feel free to delete these pics again if you object to having pictures of another city in the Joburg thread.

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

IMG_2017 by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

Retiro Train Station
. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

Retiro Train Station
. by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

Rear of the Congress Building
IMG_20170928_130313 by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr

Retiro Train Station
IMG_20170930_114236 by Pet Shop Boy, on Flickr
__________________
I have a good mind to ring Paris Hilton. I reckon she'd be gropable if she knew what a bunch of airheads are running her motel.

Dynamoe liked this post

Last edited by Caisson Boy; November 9th, 2017 at 02:19 PM.
Caisson Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2017, 03:01 PM   #2063
JohanSA
Registered User
 
JohanSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Napier/Stellenbosch/Cape Town
Posts: 2,439
Likes (Received): 488

I have nothing agains't BA, but he was trolling Joburg.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
Wow, so you really are fruity. Damn, I thought they were joking.
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 05:55 AM   #2064
Nostra
Registered User
 
Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 4,107
Likes (Received): 2103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caisson Boy View Post
I would not exactly describe this as "Scruffy as hell", but then maybe that is just an opinion too. Moderators, feel free to delete these pics again if you object to having pictures of another city in the Joburg thread.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Dcdnsb][img]

Meh... it might not be scruffy as hell but it's no Rivonia street. Sandton alone would blow it out of the water, let alone CPT or Umhlanga.
__________________
"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi" - Nostra the Great
Nostra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:23 AM   #2065
NicSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,026
Likes (Received): 4391

Annoying Argentinian guy aside, Buenos Aires blows SA cities out of the water when it comes to urban beauty. Even CT doesn't come close. BA was wealthy at exactly the right time for beautiful architecture and on a much larger scale than CPT or Joburg.

This was the cosmopolitan centre of Latin America back when Toronto and Sydney were boring small towns. In the early 1900s it was really only behind NYC and Chicago among new world cities and Joburg was another wealthy mining boom town with very little culture or sophistication in comparison. Its like comparing Paris to Houston. Even today that remains in BA whereas all Joburg gets from its past are mine dumps and fugly 1970s mid-rise CBD.
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 06:48 AM   #2066
NicSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,026
Likes (Received): 4391

Joburg's architectural "gems" of the past - the Randlord mansions in Parktown - are essentially the McMansions of 1900s Johannesburg. At the same time BA was building beautiful architecture and the first metro system outside Europe and North America. As much as I love Joburg it simply cannot compare to the rich architectural history of BA. It was also a much larger city - BA had 1 million people by the early 1900s, at time when Joburg and Cape Town had only just breached 100 000. Cape Town too destroyed most of the historic Cape Dutch buildings in the city centre and has surprisingly little remaining of its architectural heritage. Without Table Mountain and the ocean it would not be a particularly remarkable city:





NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:37 AM   #2067
JohanSA
Registered User
 
JohanSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Napier/Stellenbosch/Cape Town
Posts: 2,439
Likes (Received): 488

Who cares about BA's architectural heritage vs Joburg. South African forumers didn't go post a bunch of vomit emojis on an Argentine photo thread. Also Cape Town doesn't need to compete architecturally as it together with Vancouver is in a league of its own when it comes to Natural setting (Not back drop as Calgary and Seattle). Joburgs big selling point is its true African city vibrancy and the greatest man made urban forest arguably on the planet.

What is Buenos Aires in a world filled with Colognes, Viennas, Pragues, Paris etc?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
Wow, so you really are fruity. Damn, I thought they were joking.
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom

Nostra liked this post
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 09:46 AM   #2068
NicSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,026
Likes (Received): 4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohanSA View Post
Who cares about BA's architectural heritage vs Joburg. South African forumers didn't go post a bunch of vomit emojis on an Argentine photo thread. Also Cape Town doesn't need to compete architecturally as it together with Vancouver is in a league of its own when it comes to Natural setting (Not back drop as Calgary and Seattle). Joburgs big selling point is its true African city vibrancy and the greatest man made urban forest arguably on the planet.

What is Buenos Aires in a world filled with Colognes, Viennas, Pragues, Paris etc?
Typical Capetonian complacency - "Why try when you have Table Mountain?" A beautiful natural setting is no reason not to build an attractive city. Vancouver is certainly miles ahead on that front.

Also Joburg's big selling point is its true African city vibrancy? As compared to..? Cape Town? There are plenty of vibrant African cities - Nairobi, Cairo, Luanda, Lagos etc. This point basically seems to be "Yes, Joburg may be ugly but at least it's not as white as Cape Town".

There's also not much data on the man made forest claim Joburg often makes, and it anyway seems largely limited to the leafy former-white suburbs. There is very little of that forest in either the Joburg CBD or the sprawling townships of Soweto, Alex etc.
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:04 AM   #2069
JohanSA
Registered User
 
JohanSA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Napier/Stellenbosch/Cape Town
Posts: 2,439
Likes (Received): 488

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicSA View Post
Typical Capetonian complacency - "Why try when you have Table Mountain?" A beautiful natural setting is no reason not to build an attractive city. Vancouver is certainly miles ahead on that front.

Also Joburg's big selling point is its true African city vibrancy? As compared to..? Cape Town? There are plenty of vibrant African cities - Nairobi, Cairo, Luanda, Lagos etc. This point basically seems to be "Yes, Joburg may be ugly but at least it's not as white as Cape Town".

There's also not much data on the man made forest claim Joburg often makes, and it anyway seems largely limited to the leafy former-white suburbs. There is very little of that forest in either the Joburg CBD or the sprawling townships of Soweto, Alex etc.
We can't go back to the 1900s and build a Buenos Aires. Just as BA can't create a wine country or go back and protect its Natural heritage. Joburg is thee African city. Cairo is middle eastern.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreed View Post
Wow, so you really are fruity. Damn, I thought they were joking.
Twitter, Instagram : @JohanTTBlom
JohanSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:12 AM   #2070
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime
 
Caisson Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Town, SA
Posts: 1,154
Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicSA View Post
Annoying Argentinian guy aside, Buenos Aires blows SA cities out of the water when it comes to urban beauty. Even CT doesn't come close. BA was wealthy at exactly the right time for beautiful architecture and on a much larger scale than CPT or Joburg.

This was the cosmopolitan centre of Latin America back when Toronto and Sydney were boring small towns. In the early 1900s it was really only behind NYC and Chicago among new world cities and Joburg was another wealthy mining boom town with very little culture or sophistication in comparison. Its like comparing Paris to Houston. Even today that remains in BA whereas all Joburg gets from its past are mine dumps and fugly 1970s mid-rise CBD.
This was precisely my point. First of all, the fact that the Argentine forumer was irritating does not make Buenos Aires an ugly city, which is what that photo of the Villa Misería was trying to prove. And whereas there are a few comparably beautiful buildings left like the Cape Town, Joburg and Durban City halls, these buildings often stand in isolation, surround by unremarkable architecture. Buenos Aires has miles and miles of contiguous avenues of remarkable architecture. Apart from that, their parks, green spaces and public buildings and spaces are exceptionally beautiful. But most striking of it all really is the scale of things. There is just so much of it to take in. It is an exceptional city, where you don't have to look past the boring or the ugly to see the beautiful. It's quite the opposite.
__________________
I have a good mind to ring Paris Hilton. I reckon she'd be gropable if she knew what a bunch of airheads are running her motel.
Caisson Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 10:21 AM   #2071
Caisson Boy
Karoo Prime
 
Caisson Boy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Cape Town, SA
Posts: 1,154
Likes (Received): 114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
Meh... it might not be scruffy as hell but it's no Rivonia street. Sandton alone would blow it out of the water, let alone CPT or Umhlanga.
Rivonia Road, seriously? You've got to be joking.
__________________
I have a good mind to ring Paris Hilton. I reckon she'd be gropable if she knew what a bunch of airheads are running her motel.

Dynamoe liked this post
Caisson Boy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:20 PM   #2072
Nostra
Registered User
 
Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Johannesburg
Posts: 4,107
Likes (Received): 2103

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicSA View Post
Typical Capetonian complacency - "Why try when you have Table Mountain?" A beautiful natural setting is no reason not to build an attractive city. Vancouver is certainly miles ahead on that front.

Also Joburg's big selling point is its true African city vibrancy? As compared to..? Cape Town? There are plenty of vibrant African cities - Nairobi, Cairo, Luanda, Lagos etc. This point basically seems to be "Yes, Joburg may be ugly but at least it's not as white as Cape Town".

There's also not much data on the man made forest claim Joburg often makes, and it anyway seems largely limited to the leafy former-white suburbs. There is very little of that forest in either the Joburg CBD or the sprawling townships of Soweto, Alex etc.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Should we then genuflect before the Argentinian imposter when he comes to our forum and disses us?
__________________
"Ex Africa semper aliquid novi" - Nostra the Great
Nostra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2017, 03:40 PM   #2073
NicSA
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Cape Town
Posts: 4,026
Likes (Received): 4391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
I am not sure what you are trying to say here. Should we then genuflect before the Argentinian imposter when he comes to our forum and disses us?
He is annoying of course. But I agree that BA is more beautiful than SA cities. It's also more beautiful than Tokyo or Houston, both of which are far wealthier and better managed cities. Anyway we can still improve without any of the historical architecture - Vancouver and Joburg were founded in exactly the same year, and it has pretty pleasant modern architecture. Just clean up and maintain the older buildings and streets, and upgrade transport infrastructure and we are well on our way there already. Some actual urban planning in townships wouldn't hurt either.
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 06:57 AM   #2074
LADEN
Solid As A Rock
 
LADEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 6,008
Likes (Received): 1035

Joburg 1 by ThisisJoburg, on Flickr
__________________
Cole World, Real Cole World

ckbs, Eddie55, The E.N.D liked this post
LADEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2017, 07:13 AM   #2075
LADEN
Solid As A Rock
 
LADEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 6,008
Likes (Received): 1035

FourSeasons Hotel WestCliff




FourSeasons on Istagram
__________________
Cole World, Real Cole World

ckbs, Nostra, The E.N.D, 88key liked this post
LADEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 02:03 AM   #2076
LADEN
Solid As A Rock
 
LADEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Scarborough
Posts: 6,008
Likes (Received): 1035

Auckland Park

Aukland park by NFN, on Google

Sopiatown
2017-05-29 by Jaheim Anderson, on Flickr by
NFN, on Google
__________________
Cole World, Real Cole World

Last edited by LADEN; January 4th, 2018 at 02:51 AM.
LADEN no está en línea   Reply With Quote


Reply

Tags
johannesburg

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Related topics on SkyscraperCity


All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

SkyscraperCity ☆ In Urbanity We trust ☆ about us | privacy policy | DMCA policy

tech management by Sysprosium