daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Leeds Metro Area

Leeds Metro Area Leeds, Bradford and West Yorkshire

Old November 30th, 2005, 05:16 PM   #1
Leeds No.1

Likes (Received): 541

Leeds Regeneration

The way ahead
Ambitious £28m regeneration plan for Leeds to be unveiled tonight
By DAVID MARSH
Municipal Reporter
A MAJOR regeneration plan which could attract millions of pounds of government cash to boost some of Leeds's most deprived neighbourhoods is to be unveiled tonight.
The three-year Leeds Regeneration Plan aims to narrow the gap between the city's prosperous and poor communities.
Partnership
It has been drawn up by the Leeds Initiative, a public-private-voluntary sector partnership.
Over the past four years the initiative has helped attract £27m of government money for disadvantaged areas and its new plan will help deliver further investment worth £28m.
The regeneration masterplan includes a wide range of educational, cultural, environmental, economic, training, health and transport schemes to help the 150,000 people in Leeds – nearly 20 per cent of the population – living in areas officially rated as among the most deprived in the country.
They include:
l Increased skills training;
l Support for new businesses in deprived communities;
l More community-based cultural facilities;
l Clean-up campaigns and restoration of derelict sites;
l Crime reduction measures;
l Improved transport links to employment areas.
Over the past 10 years, Leeds has enjoyed a vibrant economy and further growth is predicted, fuelled by a £250m regeneration programme proposed for the lower Aire Valley, extensive housing improvements across the city, new schools, waterfront regeneration and the development of Holbeck Urban Village.
Employment in the city is predicted to rise by 30,000 over the next 10 years.
But the Yorkshire Evening Post's long-running Life In Leeds campaign highlighted the problem of the city's two-speed economy as many struggling communities missed out on the jobs and opportunities being created.
Figures show that people in deprived areas are more likely to have poorer health, be the victims of crime, have fewer educational qualifications and live in inadequate housing when compared to the rest of the city.
Training
The new regeneration plan is part of the initiative's answer to the problem.
It also aims to build on successful training programmes such as the Leeds Construction and Training Academy, which has helped people acquire skills needed to access jobs created by the current building boom.
The blueprint is underpinned by five district actions plans which outline more detailed proposals covering the city.
Targets outlined in the plan to be achieved by 2008 include increasing the employment rate by one per cent; reducing the number of Leeds areas listed as being among the country's most deprived; reducing crime levels by 35 per cent and raising the proportion of pupils achieving five good grade GCSEs from 45 per cent to 58 per cent.
Speakers at tonight's launch at Leeds College of Music include Neil Hodgkinson, Yorkshire Evening Post editor; Richard Norton, Leeds Initiative deputy chairman; Kuldip Bharj, Leeds West Primary Care Trust chairman and Coun Les Carter, executive councillor for neighbourhoods and housing.
david.marsh@ypn.co.uk
30 November 2005

Sponsored Links

Old November 30th, 2005, 06:22 PM   #2
HOI
Noel 'Dashing' Edmonds

Likes (Received): 3

beeston is a shit hole, they can knock that down. ;>
HOI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 06:53 PM   #3
Skopie

Likes (Received): 0

Beeston is indeed a shithole, but there are some gorgeous victorain back to backs there. It would be a shame to knock them down.

It's good that some investment is finally being put into the grim areas of Leeds though, they have a lot of work to do though, the difference between North and South Leeds is currently shocking.
Skopie no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:42 PM   #4
Leeds No.1

As mentioned before though, Leeds' poorest ward is only 36th poorest in the country, so its off to a good start.
Old November 30th, 2005, 07:52 PM   #5
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Likes (Received): 176

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOI
No, it's not all bad. There are quite a few new houses being built in the southern half of Beeston which are proving very popular, and there is a lot of nice Victorian housing, from detached to back to backs to much bigger detached houses. The business and office parks (running down to the White Rose Centre for example) are quite impressive too.
Rob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 01:42 PM   #6
Leeds No.1

City launches plan to bridge gap between rich and poor
Andrew Robinson

A CITY'S poorest residents are the focus of a new regeneration plan which aims to improve the lives of 150,000 people.
The three-year Leeds Regeneration Plan, launched yesterday, aims to narrow the gap between rich and poor in Leeds by attracting more Government money to improve skills, health, education, housing, job prospects and reduce crime in communities blighted by social problems.
The plan has been drawn up by the Leeds Initiative, a partnership of public and private sector bodies which has helped attract millions of pounds of Government money in four years. Over the next three years cash will focus on cleaning up derelict sites, cutting anti-social behaviour and supporting new businesses. Transport links will be improved to help people get to employment areas.
Last night's launch at Leeds College of Music was attended by politicians, business leaders and voluntary sector leaders.
The massive scale of the challenge was laid out by Conservative councillor Les Carter, executive member for neighbourhoods and housing, who said that in five council wards, one quarter of residents were jobless.
Over 44,000 Leeds residents of working age are unemployed and one in three children live in a home where no-one has a job.
On the plus side, employment in the city is predicted to rise by 30,000 over the next 10 years.
The regeneration plan contains five district action plans containing detailed proposals of what can be done.
Targets outlined in the plan to be achieved by 2008 include increasing the employment rate by one per cent; reducing crime by 35 per cent; and raising the proportion of pupils achieving five good GCSEs from 45 per cent to 58 per cent.
More details of the plan at www.leedsinitiative.org
01 December 2005
Old December 1st, 2005, 03:49 PM   #7
Typhoo25

Likes (Received): 7

I have just returned from Singapore and while there travelled through what we would refer to as a high rise council estate and I have to say I was amazed. It was clean (no grafitti) and had a real community spirit. It probably contained more high rise flats than the whole of Leeds and was serviced by its own monorail. It did get me thinking that there is no reason why these areas cannot be much nicer places to live in Leeds. The buildings appeared to be the same prefab type buildings as Leeds flats and the only difference seemed to be the people having a sense of pride in the area.

I guess this is chicken and egg. if the council spends millions on these areas, will the people gain a sense of pride, or is it too late for some of them and no matter what happens it will turn into a shit hole very quickly?
Typhoo25 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 04:50 PM   #8
Liam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhoo25
I have just returned from Singapore and while there travelled through what we would refer to as a high rise council estate and I have to say I was amazed. It was clean (no grafitti) and had a real community spirit. It probably contained more high rise flats than the whole of Leeds and was serviced by its own monorail. It did get me thinking that there is no reason why these areas cannot be much nicer places to live in Leeds. The buildings appeared to be the same prefab type buildings as Leeds flats and the only difference seemed to be the people having a sense of pride in the area.

I guess this is chicken and egg. if the council spends millions on these areas, will the people gain a sense of pride, or is it too late for some of them and no matter what happens it will turn into a shit hole very quickly?
It's a matter for the government. To be honest, where I am (Sweden) is considered the social model that the whole of Europe aspires to. The secret? Well, capitalism balanced with equality. Allowing run away wealth alongside the have-nots creates tension. For Leeds to clear up the mess that is East/West/South Leeds, it requires job oppurtunities, and improved education.
You can't expect the son of a man with no education to suddenly gain the motivation to 'better' himself, as he is surrounded by other people, all in the same situation. In theory, the tax money from the dwellers in the northern part of the city, should flow into the rest of the city. New housing is only that - new. People need a sense of hope.

Enough, I tire of my own voice
Liam no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2005, 10:00 PM   #9
ahmedd

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOI
as a resident of beeston, i'd like to think it aint all that bad. yes there are problems, but there are also lots positives. relatively cheap housing within easy distance of the city centre and local amenities. I have made the choice to live here. I am near my family and friends, I'm close to work and it doesn't cost me and arm and leg to get home after a night out!
Old February 3rd, 2006, 04:28 PM   #10
aviator

Likes (Received): 146

From tonight's YEP:

"£1.3bn plan will breathe new life into Leeds homes

By DAVID MARSH, municipal reporter

WORK is to start this summer on one of the biggest housing regeneration schemes undertaken in Leeds. Over the next 20 years, £1.3billion of private and public cash will be spent on new homes, refurbishing existing properties and improving community facilities across a large area of east and south east Leeds. Known as Easel, the huge project promises to transform large parts of Gipton, Seacroft, East End Park, Richmond Hill and Cross Green.

Bellway plc has been chosen by the council as the preferred developer for the development which includes:

• A new centre for Seacroft
• Over 5,000 new homes
• Re-modelling of terrace houses
• Environmental improvements
• New public spaces

Bellway and the council are now in detailed negotiations over the scheme. Senior councillors, regeneration officials and Bellway bosses will next week meet in Gipton – where phase one of the development will be carried out – to look over some of the early plans. The council hopes the new homes along with extra investment in schools, transport, parks, shops and anti-crime measures, will breathe new life into these inner city neighbourhood where many people have missed out on Leeds' economic boom.

Coun Andrew Carter, council leader, said: "This is a unique opportunity to totally transform a large area of our city and we want to make sure that all the details are correct and will bring the greatest benefits to the widest range of people. "Negotiations with Bellway will help council officers make sure that the aims and aspirations of this council and the people of East and South East Leeds are realised. The eyes of the whole country are now on this scheme, so it is vital that we get it right."

Bellway chief executive John Watson, said: "We welcome this announcement from Leeds City Council. Our proposals identified the city's role as a major regional centre. "The scheme will revitalize the area and provide housing choice, bringing economic value, and act as a regeneration catalyst over the next decade and beyond. We now look forward to finalising the development agreement and working with all the local stakeholders to deliver a high quality and sustainable development that will realise the community's ambitions for the area."

Coun Richard Brett (Lib Dem, Burmantofts and Richmond Hill) believes the ambitious programme offers new hope for neglected terrace streets in Richmond Hill, Cross Green and East End Park. He said: "In these terraces, that have been neglected for years, we need to find ways of encouraging young families to stay. Blocking streets to discourage rat-running, planting trees and improving street ambiance must all be on the agenda. Easel is an opportunity we cannot afford to miss."
aviator no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 3rd, 2006, 07:30 PM   #11
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Good news, it is important that some of the worse parts of the city start to be improved, as they partly let the whole city down, particularly east Leeds along the A64 corridor where much of this regeneration is aimed at.

Although Leeds worst bits are not as bad as those in most UK cities (the poverty index published a year or two ago proved this to be the case), the local paper seem to expect it all to be perfect, and think that every other city in the UK is perfect, so knock much of Leeds all the time, day in day out, even what little good news they report is always tainted by slurs and negative comments.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 08:02 PM   #12
Leeds No.1

There was a really good preacher in church the other week (on that note- Bradford ALC on sunday!), and he was saying how ever since it emerged the London bombers had originated from Beeston, the now infamous location around the world has a reputation by practically everyone that the whole of Leeds is a racist, segregated and poor place. He's from South Leeds by theway, so right at the centre of it all. But he quite rightly said that actually it is quite the opposite, and in Beeston the Christians and Muslims get on fine, and are really good friends. They worship in the same building, and its a really close community that promotes the true face of Leeds. He said that the terrorists did not make the community weak as the media portrayed, but actually just strengethed the bond between the black and white, muslim and christian and old and young people of the community. I thought he was really good, wish there were more people like him because people are all too quick to point out the bad about not just Leeds, but every city taken for granted, and never the good. On that note too I'm really angry the BNP were cleared. Anyway that's a bit off the point
Old February 6th, 2006, 09:56 AM   #13
Simon22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob
Good news, it is important that some of the worse parts of the city start to be improved, as they partly let the whole city down, particularly east Leeds along the A64 corridor where much of this regeneration is aimed at.

Although Leeds worst bits are not as bad as those in most UK cities (the poverty index published a year or two ago proved this to be the case), the local paper seem to expect it all to be perfect, and think that every other city in the UK is perfect, so knock much of Leeds all the time, day in day out, even what little good news they report is always tainted by slurs and negative comments.

I agree about the comments continually put out in the YEP about a 2-tier/speed city. In every large city there will be areas that are poorer and richer than average. Of course striving to help the poorer areas is to be commended but I sometimes think that some people truly believe that it is possible to virtually eradicate poverty from Leeds and that the failure to do so it a blot on the cities economic success. Meanwhile back in the real world……………..

No 1. The BNP guys were cleared because they didn’t break the law. I find there opinions pretty repulsive but you cannot convict people for their views unless they break the law. Anyway you are right it is off the point!
Simon22 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 6th, 2006, 06:45 PM   #14
HOI
Noel 'Dashing' Edmonds

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeds No.1
There was a really good preacher in church the other week (on that note- Bradford ALC on sunday!), and he was saying how ever since it emerged the London bombers had originated from Beeston, the now infamous location around the world has a reputation by practically everyone that the whole of Leeds is a racist, segregated and poor place. He's from South Leeds by theway, so right at the centre of it all. But he quite rightly said that actually it is quite the opposite, and in Beeston the Christians and Muslims get on fine, and are really good friends. They worship in the same building, and its a really close community that promotes the true face of Leeds. He said that the terrorists did not make the community weak as the media portrayed, but actually just strengethed the bond between the black and white, muslim and christian and old and young people of the community. I thought he was really good, wish there were more people like him because people are all too quick to point out the bad about not just Leeds, but every city taken for granted, and never the good. On that note too I'm really angry the BNP were cleared. Anyway that's a bit off the point
Yeah i also live in Beeston, but i would definately disagree about the bonding between whites and muslims, as i am still at school(Cockburn) i have heard alot of peoples opinions about the London bombings from my age group, all negetive.
HOI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2006, 10:05 PM   #15
Rob
Proponent of Leeds

Hi Hoi, of course there is always going to be banter and racial comments going on all the time, there is in all schools and around and about in general. But on the whole, Leeds, like most large and generally balanced cities is quite racially harmonious. It'll always compare favourably to smaller cities and towns particularly those that are struggling economically as a lot of racial aggravation has its roots in relative poverty.
Old February 9th, 2006, 05:26 PM   #16
Leeds No.1

BBC Leeds

Massive housing scheme unveiled
Plans have been unveiled to build 5,000 new homes in some of the most rundown areas of Leeds in a massive housing regeneration scheme.
More than £1.3bn will be spent on improving estates in the east and south east of the city, creating 2,000 jobs and bringing in 10,000 new residents.

Leeds City Council's plans include new schools, roads and leisure facilities.

The homes will be private and council owned and work will start in the Gipton area later this year.

Leeds City Council leader Andrew Carter said the areas would be "transformed".

The council said the project would be the country's single biggest housing market regeneration scheme.

It is currently reaching the end of a bidding process to decide the detail of the 15 to 20-year public and privately-funded project.

The preferred bidder is housing developer Bellway, whose chief executive John Watson, said: "The scheme will revitalise the area and provide housing choice, bringing economic value and act as a regeneration catalyst over the next decade and beyond."