daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > UK & Ireland Architecture Forums > Projects and Construction > Irish Architecture Forum > Republic of Ireland

Republic of Ireland For projects and construction in Dublin and the South

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:59 AM   #141
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2379

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I don't think a tunnel the length of that proposed with the number of stations is at all appropriate for a diesel train.

It's all academic though. It's a DART line. There won't be any other type of train using it.
It's not anything at the minute but a plan on paper....things can change. There's no reason why diesel, or future electric, intercity and DART trains can't use it.

It would be madness to not seek to maximise the benefits and utilise the tunnel to its greatest extent.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old November 19th, 2014, 04:10 PM   #142
Thefancydanhimself

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
It would be madness to not seek to maximise the benefits and utilise the tunnel to its greatest extent.

Totally agree, especially if we want to use some joined up thinking and maximise the benefites of all of our infrastructure. DU would benefit the airport greatly if intercity trains were going throught there regularly. It would probably increase ridership on intercity trains if people can conveniently get on the train all the way to the terminal.
WIN - WIN in my mind.

Putting the diesel trains aside then, as from what I understand, electrification of the lines is coming down the line at some point. Either that or future rolling stock could be hybrid electric and diesel.
Is there any other CONS to having the intercity trains going through DU apart from the fumes? Would it affect capacity?
Thefancydanhimself no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:15 PM   #143
Thefancydanhimself

Christ I hope they go ahead with this soon. It's so frustrating to think of the transport network we would have had the recession put the brakes on everything.

Metro North, DU, Metro West, and Luas Line F would put us right up there with any similar sized city in Europe in terms of transport. Especially combined with the 3 BRT lines which will work well if their plan is implemented properly

Right now, we'll be lucky if we see 1. Blessed if we saw two
Old November 19th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #144
Vyking

Likes (Received): 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefancydanhimself View Post
Is there any other CONS to having the intercity trains going through DU apart from the fumes? Would it affect capacity?
Capacity on the northern line could not handle it. Unless it's quad-tracked.

I see no issue with Cork travellers in theory jumping on a Dart at Heuston. Another 20-30 mins and you're at the airport.

Perhaps Cork/Limerick/Galway trains could continue through the tunnel itself as far as Docklands, to distribute passengers around the city, but I'm not sure terminating trains here has been factored into the design.
Vyking no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 05:34 PM   #145
Thefancydanhimself

On this thread there has been a lot of talk about quad tracking. Is there any fim plans to do this?

Wouldn't a spur to the airport naturally require a capacity upgrade there whether or not intercity trains go to the airport or not.

Also, what would happen to Heuston? Even if the trains continue to stop, they'll be stopping underground... leaving the overground of the station for...
Old November 19th, 2014, 06:18 PM   #146
oneborneveryminute

Likes (Received): 32

Quad tracking will happen one day, and that's why the Tolka bridge was widened to 4 tracks a few years ago. But quad tracking from East Wall to Howth junction was costed at €100 about 10 years ago. The present idea is to reduce Howth Junc to Howth to a shuttle service and the mainline Dort will run to Dublin Airport.
Hard to see how that would suffice, especially as the peak time Dorts are sardines, every one. The early morning commuters will not be laughing when they find their Dort already full by the time it gets even to Baldoyle.
oneborneveryminute no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 08:24 PM   #147
sponge_bob

Likes (Received): 139

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneborneveryminute View Post
Quad tracking will happen one day, and that's why the Tolka bridge was widened to 4 tracks a few years ago. But quad tracking from East Wall to Howth junction was costed at €100 about 10 years ago. .
I trust you mean €100m, that is quite a reasonable sum by CIE standards. They blew €350m on quadding from the M50 to Hazelhatch.
sponge_bob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 09:33 PM   #148
oneborneveryminute

Likes (Received): 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sponge_bob View Post
I trust you mean €100m, that is quite a reasonable sum by CIE standards. They blew €350m on quadding from the M50 to Hazelhatch.
ha ha yep €100 million

I'm very confident of that €100 million figure, but does look reasonable. Especially when you think that Killester, Harmonstown and Raheny are in cuttings so be major job to widen there + there'd be a lot of back gardens truncated.

Last edited by oneborneveryminute; November 19th, 2014 at 09:39 PM.
oneborneveryminute no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 10:05 PM   #149
odlum833

Likes (Received): 657

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thefancydanhimself View Post
On this thread there has been a lot of talk about quad tracking.
For the northern line the sheer amount of work involved in quading that would be enormously and hugely expensive in my opinion. I would not be surprised if the total work came close to €1bn depending on how far you wanted to quad (let's say Malahide initially) and don't forget the amount of land aquisition that would be required too. There are stations with new apartment blocks right up against them for goodness sake.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1596
odlum833 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2014, 11:59 PM   #150
sponge_bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by odlum833 View Post
I would not be surprised if the total work came close to €1bn depending on how far you wanted to quad (let's say Malahide initially)
€1bn sounds more like it.

IE were EG going to spend €180m dual tracking Galway - Athenry in 2008... and they own the urban half of the land already and the rest of it was agriculture use fields. In Dublin they probably have enough land for 2 tracks sometimes 3 and rarely 4 although it need not go much further than Clongriffin IMO to make a big difference.

I'd be inclined to think that it could be done, to just north of Clongriffin, for nearer €100m than €1bn all the same.
Old November 20th, 2014, 12:59 AM   #151
Thefancydanhimself

Why would they quad track after Clongriffin? Wouldn't that do it? Especially if there is a spur to the airport, that track would take the traffic away from the rest of the line further north.

Is there a need for quad tracks for portmarnock and malahide? Belfast trains could go via the new track to the airport and then back into Dublin via clongriffin
Old November 20th, 2014, 01:05 AM   #152
sponge_bob

Well the next project would be to quad past Balbriggan ( many many years hence) and that could be a continuation from the airport to Swords to past Balbriggan on another alignment perhaps.

So for the foreseeable future Clongriffin would do nicely, but not at any cost which was the traditional CIE way of doing things in the past.
Old November 20th, 2014, 02:19 AM   #153
belfastuniguy
Subliving

Likes (Received): 2379

The Enterprise slows closer to Dublin and close to Belfast.

Ideally a third track from Belfast to Newry, though it would stop before the Craigmore Viaduct, would work for here. It would allow Enterprise to bypass commuter and other NIR services. I've never found the Enterprise from Newry to outer Dublin too slow, with the odd slowness through Drogheda or Dundalk.

Atlantean Empire SC4 City Journal :: Northern Ireland Forum :: Perseus SC4 City Journal
belfastuniguy no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: