daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old April 21st, 2014, 03:43 AM   #21
Rabat with love 2
Rabat

Likes (Received): 524

Quote:
Morocco continues to pursue its plans under Vision 2020 to attract up to 20m tourists each year, bring total bed capacity to 375,000, create 17,000 new jobs and

generate $17bn in annual revenues by 2020
, Global Arab Network reports according to OBG.

Recent results are promising, with the number of visitors for the first eight months of 2013 growing 6.76% year-on-year (y-o-y), to reach around 7m, and the country is looking to capitalise on the projected rise in the number of global international travelers in 2014, which is expected to increase by 4%.
As highlighted by the easing of demand from its biggest source markets to the north of the country, Morocco has been moving to diversify its links with other non-traditional countries in regions such as Latin America, Eastern Europe, the Gulf and Asia. The Moroccan Tourism Office (Office National Marocain du Tourisme, ONMT) is planning to set up an office in Brazil in a bid to attract 30,000 visitors each year from the South American country starting in 2014, as well as use its presence there as a base to reach out to the rest of Latin America. Air links between both countries will be strengthened, and started with the first charter flight between Sao Paolo and Casablanca on November 1 as part of an agreement signed between the ONMT and a variety of Brazilian tour operators – notably Schultz, Flot, Raidho and Flytour, among others. National carrier Royal Air Maroc plans to launch three regular weekly flights starting in early December.

The ONMT is also looking to attract tourists from non-traditional markets in Europe. The number of visitors from the Czech Republic, Poland and Hungary, for instance, registered a y-o-y increase of 88%, 9% and 7%, respectively, in the first eight months of 2013. A recent agreement signed with Polish tour operator Itaka to boost charter flights to Agadir is expected to bring the number of tourists visiting the region of Souss to 129,000 by 2016. The Gulf is another potential source of visitors, and one that the government hopes will be increasingly important. To date, Saudi Arabia has been the largest market in the MENA region, accounting for more than 70,000 arrivals in 2012.

NicSA, BenjaminEli, Marokino, Kangaroo MZ liked this post
Rabat with love 2 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2014, 10:53 PM   #22
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5944

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekema View Post
Not all are filthy. Dakar Abuja and small ones like calabar are clean. But they're not magnets
I never said ALL, but its a fat big majority of cities. ( particularly big cities which are usually capitals) are filthy and terribly panned and no construction Codes.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 12:17 PM   #23
popa1980

Likes (Received): 3412

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
I never said ALL, but its a fat big majority of cities. ( particularly big cities which are usually capitals) are filthy and terribly panned and no construction Codes.
People here are so unrealistic. I can think of many cities in Latin America and North Africa for example that are waaaay better than in SSA and are not tourist centres so that shows the level of competition.

If people dont want to go to Sao Paulo, Lima, Bogota etc then Africa is up against it with regards to urban tourism. Even beautiful Algiers is (inexplicably) not a major tourism centre (perhaps the oil has removed the governments need to encourage tourism)

Abuja...never...too sterile, Dakar has good potential with its beaches and relative proximity to aEurope and Eastern USA. Luanda and Maputo especially could be urban tourist centres but a lot of work is still needed. There are no other cities that immediately come to mind .

When I hear people talk about Nairobi and Lagos as potential tourist destinations they just arent being serious. As entry/transit/business points maybe but not in the same way people specifically go to Cape Town.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 01:42 PM   #24
Mister79

Likes (Received): 2914

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
Urban tourism is more affordable and mainstream. I dont see many SSA cities being able to draw tourists even in the future, unless people start taking town planning and landscaping seriously.
I don't agree. You can turn every city in SSA into a tourist destination, what is needed is enough tourism accomodation, cheaper flights, advertizing etc.
See what Gambia and Cape Verde did..
Gambia is not that rich, but they have a lot of tourism accomodation and are very known tourist destination..Senegal has the same beaches as Gambia, but they haven't done much with it.
Sri Lanka is also not that developed , but still they attract a lot of tourists, because they have a lot of tourism accomodation and do a lot of advertizing.
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 02:10 PM   #25
Lydon

Likes (Received): 5632

I think he's referring to tourism on a different scale. While Gambia may have a thriving tourism scene, it's certainly not known for its cities. How many overseas tourists could name a city in Gambia?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:09 PM   #26
Kangaroo MZ

Likes (Received): 9599

Quote:
Maputo could well be an international tourist industry if it plays its cards right.

But in all of Africa, how many international CITY destinations are there? And Im not talking about business or transit/entry points. Im talking about cities where somewhere will take a plane from Europe specifically to go there- Marrakech & Cape Town. Anything else?
It's not really about "town planning and landscaping" really. Most Asian cities don't have that at all, yet, still attract a good number of tourists from all over the globe? Did you read the article I provided about Vietnamese cities by the way?

We just need to build more entertainment amenities, shoppings, sports facilities, cultural facilities, night life and all the other things that really make a city great. They will come.

ekema liked this post
Kangaroo MZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:25 PM   #27
NicSA

Likes (Received): 4385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo MZ View Post
It's not really about "town planning and landscaping" really. Most Asian cities don't have that at all, yet, still attract a good number of tourists from all over the globe? Did you read the article I provided about Vietnamese cities by the way?

We just need to build more entertainment amenities, shoppings, sports facilities, cultural facilities, night life and all the other things that really make a city great. They will come.
Will they? Why would a European/American tourist go to a shopping mall or clubbing in Ghana rather than Bangkok or Hanoi? African countries need to market themselves as unique destinations or people will not visit. The nature/animal thing is already marketed really well. But people/culture/cities have little appeal to tourists yet and need to be promoted a lot better.
NicSA no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM   #28
Kangaroo MZ

For the same reason some tourists prefer to go to Cape Town instead of Sydney or Honolulu (which are much better destinations). You guys are only thinking short-term. I am thinking long-term. And it doesn't need to be "X rather than Y". It's all about good marketing and the things I mentioned in my other post.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:01 PM   #29
Lydon

Quote:
For the same reason some tourists prefer to go to Cape Town instead of Sydney or Honolulu (which are much better destinations). You guys are only thinking short-term. I am thinking long-term. And it doesn't need to be "X rather than Y". It's all about good marketing and the things I mentioned in my other post.
Cape Town, Sydney and Honolulu have very little in common in terms of what they have to offer visitors, so that's a bit of a weird comparison. A friend from Sydney actually just arrived in South Africa yesterday for 6/7 weeks, a month of which he'll be spending in Cape Town alone because there's simply so much to do. While Cape Town certainly offers world-class shopping malls, nightlife and all of the other things that you mentioned, he didn't fly across the world for any of those things. He flew here because it's a destination that markets its unique strengths. He'll be staying right in the middle of the CBD and obviously engaging in day-to-day city life, but he was drawn here by the likes of Table Mountain, nature reserves, wine tours, scores of beaches, cultural activities and the like.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:19 PM   #30
Kangaroo MZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Cape Town, Sydney and Honolulu have very little in common in terms of what they have to offer visitors, so that's a bit of a weird comparison. A friend from Sydney actually just arrived in South Africa yesterday for 6/7 weeks, a month of which he'll be spending in Cape Town alone because there's simply so much to do. While Cape Town certainly offers world-class shopping malls, nightlife and all of the other things that you mentioned, he didn't fly across the world for any of those things. He flew here because it's a destination that markets its unique strengths. He'll be staying right in the middle of the CBD and obviously engaging in day-to-day city life, but he was drawn here by the likes of Table Mountain, nature reserves, wine tours, scores of beaches, cultural activities and the like.
No it's not. And I disagree. Actually they have a lot more in common than what you may think, but much better. Sydney for instance is well know for its nearby nature reserves, wine tours, world famous beaches, cultural activities just like Cape Town.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:39 PM   #31
popa1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister79 View Post
I don't agree. You can turn every city in SSA into a tourist destination, what is needed is enough tourism accomodation, cheaper flights, advertizing etc.
See what Gambia and Cape Verde did..
Gambia is not that rich, but they have a lot of tourism accomodation and are very known tourist destination..Senegal has the same beaches as Gambia, but they haven't done much with it.
Sri Lanka is also not that developed , but still they attract a lot of tourists, because they have a lot of tourism accomodation and do a lot of advertizing.
We are specifically talking of URBAN tourism. People to to Gambia and Sri Lanka for the beach not to for Colombo and Banjul.

People will board a 9 hour flight to go to Cape Town and then fly back to Europe sometimes without seeing anything else in SA. Thats the type of tourism Im talking about and I dont see it happening in Africa- even in 20 years.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 04:53 PM   #32
popa1980

Quote:

Okay, take Sao Paulo or Bogota- 2 huge cities in South America which have those in abundance. They arent tourist centres. Algiers, beautiful city, close to Europe. Not a tourist centre.

LOL at your last part- thats like saying- all I have to do is go to the gym 5 times a week and eat a healthy diet and ill have a six pack. Or...all we need is to get rid of corruption, have better Presidents, build world class infrastructure and we will be a wealthy country.

Easier said than done. And I dont see African cities doing those things.

Simple things that seem beyond the ability of useless African governments- in Medellin in Colombia, there is a well manicured public plaza in one of the wealthy neighbourhoods- jam-packed at the weekend with people spilling out from nearby bars and clubs and just chilling in the park.

Bangkok isnt the prettiest city in the world but theres still a lot to do and there are lots of open public spaces, glorious Buddhist temples and the food markets are out of this world, nightlife is pumping and shopping is world class too- they have also have a monorail and a metro system (though fair enough, I mostly went with tuk-tuk which I know they have in Moz too). East Asian cities have such a colour and vibrancy about them that I havent seen anywhere in the world.

Id be almost embarrassed to take a friend from here to Accra, just not a lot to see or do. Not even a public space where you can sit down and enjoy a cold beer or coffee.

Btw, people dont specifically fly to Hanoi or HMC when they go to Vietnam. Its normally part of the way to other things like Hulong bay though for sure tourists spend longer in those cities than they would in most African cities.

Maputo, yes, big potential if they play their cards right, but Africans know only too well how to underperform. I really dont know why Dakar hasnt done something with its waterfront.

Last edited by popa1980; April 22nd, 2014 at 05:03 PM.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 06:07 PM   #33
Kangaroo MZ

Quote:
Okay, take Sao Paulo or Bogota- 2 huge cities in South America which have those in abundance. They arent tourist centres. Algiers, beautiful city, close to Europe. Not a tourist centre.

LOL at your last part- thats like saying- all I have to do is go to the gym 5 times a week and eat a healthy diet and ill have a six pack. Or...all we need is to get rid of corruption, have better Presidents, build world class infrastructure and we will be a wealthy country.

Easier said than done. And I dont see African cities doing those things.
Don't be ridiculous. African cities are doing those things. though in a much slower pace. Just look at Luanda for example. I can see it being a tourist destination for rich portuguese citizens and for people from nearby countries in the future.

Quote:
Simple things that seem beyond the ability of useless African governments- in Medellin in Colombia, there is a well manicured public plaza in one of the wealthy neighbourhoods- jam-packed at the weekend with people spilling out from nearby bars and clubs and just chilling in the park.

Bangkok isnt the prettiest city in the world but theres still a lot to do and there are lots of open public spaces, glorious Buddhist temples and the food markets are out of this world, nightlife is pumping and shopping is world class too- they have also have a monorail and a metro system (though fair enough, I mostly went with tuk-tuk which I know they have in Moz too). East Asian cities have such a colour and vibrancy about them that I havent seen anywhere in the world.

Id be almost embarrassed to take a friend from here to Accra, just not a lot to see or do. Not even a public space where you can sit down and enjoy a cold beer or coffee.

Btw, people dont specifically fly to Hanoi or HMC when they go to Vietnam. Its normally part of the way to other things like Hulong bay though for sure tourists spend longer in those cities than they would in most African cities.

Maputo, yes, big potential if they play their cards right, but Africans know only too well how to underperform. I really dont know why Dakar hasnt done something with its waterfront.
Ok, I get it. You raise some good points but give them time. Bangkok tourist scene wasn't built overnight. Singapore wasn't built overnight either. Even Cape Town that benefits a lot from its impressive apartheid times infrastructure and its beautiful location doesn't receive as much international tourists as other cities its size around the globe.

As for tourists not specifically going to HMC or Hanoi, that's the biggest load of bullcrap under the moon. Half of the tourists who go to Vietnam visit Ho Chi Minh City (not only in transit).
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:37 PM   #34
Mister79

Likes (Received): 2914

Quote:
We are specifically talking of URBAN tourism. People to to Gambia and Sri Lanka for the beach not to for Colombo and Banjul.

People will board a 9 hour flight to go to Cape Town and then fly back to Europe sometimes without seeing anything else in SA. Thats the type of tourism Im talking about and I dont see it happening in Africa- even in 20 years.
I understand your point Popa...
Only Cape Town, Marrakech, Tunis, Sharm el Sheikh and Agadir have achieved it..
You are right about Dakar, they have a worldfamous name, but they haven't done much with it. Dakar should now be like Marrakech..I am sure many French etc people would go to Dakar, if they would invest in tourism accomodation and upgrade the city..
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
popa1980

Ive been all over SE Asia so please spare me the 'information'

Tourists dont go specifically to HMC and Hanoi the same way people go specifically to Cape Town or Istanbul or Rio de Janeiro. You wont find anyone who just went to HMC and flew back to Europe. Though i already conceded that tourists spend longer in those cities than they do in African ones.

Living in a country which is one of the biggest sources of tourism i have an idea what people look for on city breaks and believe me that most SSA cities are very very far from being urban destinations.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 07:43 PM   #36
popa1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister79 View Post
I understand your point Popa...
Only Cape Town, Marrakech, Tunis, Sharm el Sheikh and Agadir have achieved it..
You are right about Dakar, they have a worldfamous name, but they haven't done much with it. Dakar should now be like Marrakech..I am sure many French etc people would go to Dakar, if they would invest in tourism accomodation..
Zero marketing. The seafront there is one of the most naturally beautiful in Africa and they have done nothing with it. They could really targer French tourists.

But in Africa too much talk of could be, should be, would be.

Mister79 liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:01 PM   #37
Kangaroo MZ

Quote:
Ive been all over SE Asia so please spare me the 'information'

Tourists dont go specifically to HMC and Hanoi the same way people go specifically to Cape Town or Istanbul or Rio de Janeiro. You wont find anyone who just went to HMC and flew back to Europe. Though i already conceded that tourists spend longer in those cities than they do in African ones.

Living in a country which is one of the biggest sources of tourism i have an idea what people look for on city breaks and believe me that most SSA cities are very very far from being urban destinations.
Well, this is the internet - where everybody can say they have been everywhere. And the "information" is a fact.

You won't find people who go specifically to the city of Cape Town then fly back to Europe either. People visit nearby towns like Stellenbosch and other areas around Western Cape too.

Dude, stop trying to be a smartass on me. I already said that I agree that African cities are still far from being urban tourist destinations, but you need to stop being too big of a pessimist and dropping factors like ''town planning and landscaping" when it's more complex than that.
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:19 PM   #38
Lydon

Quote:
You won't find people who go specifically to the city of Cape Town then fly back to Europe either. People visit nearby towns like Stellenbosch and other areas around Western Cape too.
That's nonsense...where did you get that notion from? You can't know very much about the Cape Town tourist scene at all if you think that's remotely true. The very large majority of tourists visiting the city don't venture out Stellenbosch way at all, so I'm not sure how you can claim that "you won't find people who go specifically to the city of Cape Town then fly back to Europe." I must be imagining the 150 guests my boyfriend's brother has arriving this week who won't be venturing anywhere else
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:26 PM   #39
Kangaroo MZ

A good number of people do visit the surrounding areas. My point to Popa is, people also visit Asian cities like HCMnh City, Manilla, Jakarta, Bangkok, Kuala Lumpur, etc specifically to experience the city life and then fly back to Europe. It's not a phenomenon exclusive to CT, Rio and Istanbul.

Anyway, what's the total number of international tourists who visit Cape Town?
Old April 22nd, 2014, 08:44 PM   #40
Kangaroo MZ

Zambia Tourism Minister Leads Delegation to Seychelles Carnival This Week

Quote:
Confirmation has now been received that Minister Jean Kapata, the Zambian Minister responsible for Tourism and the Arts, will be leading her delegation to the 2014 edition of the Carnaval International de Victoria in the Seychelles. The Minister from the Zambia responsible for Tourism and the Arts will be making her maiden trip as Minister since her recent appointment. The importance of tourism for Zambia has been restated by the Zambian President last week when he announced that tourism and agriculture are activities of high national importance and are now priority sectors.

Minister Jean Kapata from Zambia will be leading a delegation of fifteen which will include a culture troupe. The Seychelles Minister responsible for Tourism and Culture has welcomed the confirmation from Zambia saying that the visit by Minister Jean Kapata would give him and his Zambian counterpart the opportunity to discuss the way forward for the MOU signed last year in Livingstone during the UN World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) General Assembly Meeting.

It was Jimmy Butt, the Seychelles Tourism Ambassador to Zambia, who personally delivered the letter of invitation from Minister Alain St.Ange, the Seychelles Minister responsible for Tourism and Culture, to his Zambian counterpart, Minister Jean Kapata, the Zambia Minister responsible for Tourism and the Arts, and it is Jimmy Butt who has been the liaison between Seychelles tourism and Zambia. Minister St.Ange has confirmed that he will be personally at Seychelles International Airport on Thursday, April 24, to welcome Minister Jean Kapata as she lands from the Kenya Airways flight from Nairobi.