daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > General Forums > Business, Economy and Infrastructure

Business, Economy and Infrastructure Our architecture, infrastructure, transport, economy and other related discussions

Old April 23rd, 2014, 05:57 PM   #81
Nostra

Likes (Received): 2102

Shot Left : SA's strategy to drive domestic tourism (or more specifically to encourage black South Africans to develop a travelling mindset), I think it's working....

ShotLeft

Domestic tourism is the backbone of a healthy tourism sector. Go to NY and see how Americans from the hinterland visit, it's like a foreign country to them...

ekema, BUTEMBO21, NicSA liked this post

Last edited by Nostra; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:42 PM.
Nostra no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:00 PM   #82
Kangaroo MZ

Likes (Received): 9599

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
You say tourists want a bite of culture, you are more likely to see local culture in Bangkok or Maputo than lying on a beach surrounded by other tourists in Bazaruto or Phuket.
Mmmm no. Best places to experience "local culture" in Mozambique is far away from the urban centers. Actually you are more likely to get in touch with locals closely in resort beach towns like Bazaruto, Vilankulo, Ponta d'Ouro, Pemba, Inhambane, etc than in places like Maputo, or worse, Beira.

Maputo has a lot to offer to tourists, though. Especially drunk loud energetic gautengers.

Last edited by Kangaroo MZ; April 23rd, 2014 at 06:08 PM.
Kangaroo MZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:09 PM   #83
ekema

Likes (Received): 4412

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostra View Post
Shot Left : SA's strategy to drive domestic tourism (or more specifically to encoutrage black South Africans to develop a travelling mindset), I think it's working....

ShotLeft

Domestic tourism is the backbone of a healthy tourism sector. Go to NY and see how Americans from the hinterland visit, it's like a foreign country to them...
yep totally.
ekema no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 06:16 PM   #84
Kangaroo MZ

Likes (Received): 9599

Maputo

The New York Times: In Search of the ‘Real Africa’ in Mozambique
MARCH , 2014

Quote:
I assumed it was luck that within two minutes of clearing customs in Maputo, I found myself sharing a cab with Darcio Arsénio Novela (stage name Mr. Arssen), one of Mozambique’s top hip-hop personalities. And that he gave me his cellphone number, and a rundown of the top cultural hot spots in town. And that we went out that night for beers with his friends at Núcleo de Arte, a bar and fine-arts work space, and that the next night he texted me about an event at the Mozambique-Germany Cultural Center — even though he wouldn’t be making it himself.

But after three days and three nights in the chaotic but manageable coastal capital once known under Portuguese colonization as Lourenço Marques, I realized: If it hadn’t been him, it would have been a guy named Mário, who led me to a jumping performance of the band Xitende at the Gil Vicente Café Bar; or Isaura, whose job at the Base Backpackers hostel seems to be to care for the social life of guests.

In other words, in Maputo, connections come easily, even for outsiders — perhaps because most non-Africans around the scene aren’t tourists but nongovernmental organization workers or diplomats or health consultants — and the few tourists who are there really want to be there.

I was one of those travelers, having heard from a friend who had lived in the region that if he could live in any African city, it would be Maputo. I was further egged on by several people I had met in South Africa and the quirky mountain kingdom of Swaziland — both of which border Mozambique — who said Maputo was “real Africa.” Always budget-minded, I was concerned by talk of high prices caused by a growing economy and increased foreign investment. But only lodging turned out to be a challenge; unless you’re O.K. with a hostel or a dump, you’re going to pay something like $70 or up a night. I stayed in a stuffy but friendly and dirt-cheap hostel, the Base Backpackers, for 400 meticais ($12.70 at 32 meticais to the dollar), and the Guest House Moderna ([email protected] or 258-8-2411-0230), a spick-and-span operation run by a friendly Chinese couple.

The guesthouse was geared to Chinese travelers but very welcoming to others, as long as you don’t mind dumplings for breakfast and hard mattresses. It was more expensive — 2,700 meticais ($85.50) a night — but included good air-conditioning and Internet access on request. (The latter was especially welcome; after a short stay in the city you’d be forgiven for thinking Maputo was the term in the local Changana language for “land without Wi-Fi.”)

After lodging was paid for, all I had to do to keep costs under control was avoid expat haunts and dive into the messy Mozambican crowds.

Those crowds are everywhere — on the nearly destroyed sidewalks around the decaying colonial buildings of the Baixa neighborhood, and on broader avenues named (with Portuguese spellings) after leaders presumably admired by the Soviet-allied, viva-a-revolução-style government that ruled the decade after independence, in 1975: Avenida Ho Chi Min, Avenida Vladimir Lenine, Avenida Mao Tse Tung, Avenida Kwame Nkrumah.

There are the standard visits, like Feima, a market of outdoor restaurants, art and crafts in the Parque dos Continuadores, a leafy, refreshing break from the city’s bustle. And, less successfully, the Mercado de Peixe, the fish market by the beach — did I mention Maputo had a beach? — where you buy your seafood and pay one of the restaurants at the back of the market to cook it up for you. It sounds great (and my tiger prawns were huge, fresh and delicious), but from start to finish I was mobbed by salesmen hawking not just fish but key chains, toy helicopters, camera lenses and sunglasses.

There’s also the Feira Popular, a square block of poignantly aging amusement park rides alongside midrange restaurants, and the Mercado Municipal, in a grand old colonial hall that is a replica of the original built in 1901, where fruit and vegetable, fish and nut vendors were chatty and ready with at least basic English. One passed an indirect marriage proposal to me through her neighbor; I declined. But I did pick up a hefty bag of cashews coated with peri peri chile powder for 100 meticais.

But my most memorable market experience happened by accident. Walking along Avenida Ho Chi Min, I was drawn to an opening in a rather grim concrete wall plastered with political posters. When I peeked around the women standing at the entrance, I caught sight of a claustrophobic, smoky den of food stalls. What was this, I asked them? And was it safe for a camera-toting foreigner to go in?

It was, they said, although that did not stop them (or several others inside) from requesting that I buy them a beer. I declined all around, and set out looking for the least unclean looking of the cagelike stalls built of wood and chicken wire, with roofs made of corrugated metal sheets that were collapsing in more places than not — although rays of sun passing through caught the smoke from the stoves, like sun streaming into a cathedral.

Hearty meals sold for the standard price of 80 meticais, and Bartolomeu, a friendly construction worker, convinced me I’d be safe at the stand where he was eating a whole fried mackerel and a heap of spaghetti. I asked him why he ate here and not, say, in the Feira Popular. “This place is for workers,” he said.

The stand was run by a starkly beautiful woman, with a more professional air that set her apart. She was in a sharp white blouse with squared embroidered neck and a purple head scarf. I sat down near Bartolomeu, ordered what he was having and lived to tell the tale. (I have a strong stomach; your results may vary.)

At night I retreated to the arts and music scene, including the Associação de Músicos, an organization that holds concerts by the bar in its back patio. That’s where I discovered the singer Sizaquel Matchombe. After her set, I asked what the first song, “Tivoneleni,” was about. She explained it was a warning to young girls to not let themselves be swept up in fantasies, lest they give up their dreams.

For a different type of culture, I visited the National Museum of Art (20 meticais), which houses a small but extraordinarily spirited collection of distinctively African but otherwise diverse styles of art and sculpture — most notably the hallucinatory work of Malangatana Ngwenya, a national hero who died in 2011. And at the Museum of Natural History (60 meticais), I breezed by dioramas to get to what seemed to be its most prized possessions: a collection of real elephant fetuses. They were both fascinating and disturbingly adorable, like extraordinarily realistic toy elephants, albeit with umbilical cords.

I did not find them on my own; in fact, I had been speeding through the rooms in order to check off the museum on a busy final day. But a young staff member, sensing, I think, I was rushing, told me I should be sure not to miss the elephant display and directed me to it. By then, I knew that was not a lucky break — it was just another Maputan clueing in a visitor on the best of his city.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/09/tr...ique.html?_r=0

alama liked this post
Kangaroo MZ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2014, 09:07 PM   #85
Mister79

Likes (Received): 2914

Check this...

At Keaerny Global Cities Index and also Emerging Cities Index:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showth...#post113435892
Mister79 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:15 AM   #86
dakhla

Likes (Received): 247

South Africa’s top travel destinations

Quote:
Cape Town has been named one of the top destinations in the world – and second in Africa – according to TripAdvisor’s 2014 Travelers’ Choice awards.

Istanbul, Turkey, was voted at the world’s top destination, having climbed 11 places since 2013′s list, followed by Rome, Italy (2nd) and London, England (3rd).

TripAdvisor winners were determined using an algorithm that took into account the quantity and quality of reviews and ratings for hotels, attractions and restaurants in destinations worldwide, gathered over a 12-month period.

TripAdvisor recorded more than 260 million unique monthly visitors in 2013, and more than 150 million reviews and opinions covering more than 3.7 million accommodations, restaurants and attractions.

Six of the top 25 world spots are from Asia and four Asian cities saw a climb of at least 10 places in the world top 25 list year-over-year.

Marrakech, Morocco (6th) climbed 13 places in the 2014 rankings, and is the only other African destination to make the top 25, above Cape Town, which was ranked 19th (down 3 places since 2013).

ranking world
http://businesstech.co.za/news/inter...-destinations/

Looking at Africa, Marrakech was rated as the top destination on the continent, with Cape Town ranked second. Moroccan and South African cities dominated the top destinations list for Africa.

A total of 6 Moroccan and 11 South Africa cities were listed in the top 25 destinations for Africa, with Kenya representing 4 spots and Mauritius, Gambia, Tanzania, and Tunisia having one city each.

Knysna, along South Africa’s Garden Route, was listed in 6th, followed by Franschhoek (7th), Joburg (8th), Paarl (11th), Hermanus (13th), Plettenburg Bay (14th) and Stellenbosch (15th).

Pretoria (20th), Durban (21st) and Hazyview (22nd) rounded off the top South African destinations.

ranking africa

http://businesstech.co.za/news/inter...-destinations/

]
dakhla no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2014, 10:57 PM   #87
alama

Likes (Received): 1330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangaroo MZ View Post
Aren't you such a snobby individual, Popa? Just because I am originally from a country that doesn't attract tourists doesn't mean anything. I may not be as well travelled as you claim to be here in a random internet forum but I am not completely clueless about the activity and my opinion is as valid as anyone else on this forum... if you don't like it gtfo.

And I never said all Africans cities can be major tourist destinations, I simply said that if they play correctly and skillfully they will (in the future) attract large numbers of tourists from overseas like some of the Asian cities I mentioned have been doing. And I also disagreed with your comment about "town planning and landscaping" being the single factor for the lack of tourists in our cities since it's a lot more complex than that.

And don't be so quick... like they say: assumption is the mother of all **** ups. My sister and her fiancee work for Movitel Mozambique, a unit of Vietnamese mobile network Viettel and they travel to Hanoi a lot hence my interest for the country. So once again you're wrong.
I am glad I am not the only one who noticed.
alama no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 09:53 AM   #88
ngantsop

Likes (Received): 215

Originally posted by a_bondima

'All Africa in one country': Cameroon wants
its place on the tourist map
http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/22/
travel...ntry-cameroon/
Quote:
(CNN) -- Cameroon, famous for producing
world-class soccer players and infectious
"makossa" music, is on the dawn of
becoming known for something else ...
tourism.
Tourism arrivals grew by 35% in 2012, and
Cameroon has a vast geographical diversity
characterized by forest, savannah and
mountains, alongside a population of over
250 ethnic groups.
Its diversity in terrain and culture has led
to Cameroon being referred to as "Little
Africa" or "All Africa in one country." It
also boasts some of the richest and most
diverse wildlife in the continent and is a
dreamland for safari lovers, eco tourists,
hikers and culture seekers.
On a recent trip to Cameroon I spoke with
Bello Bouba Maigari, the minister of
tourism and leisure, who is championing
the growth of tourism in the country. "If
you mention Cameroon, very few people
can look at a map and point out where the
country is ... our ambition is to be one of
the best known and most attractive
destinations in sub Saharan Africa," he
said.
I spent the majority of my trip in the
coastal Southwest region, an area
comprised of relaxing beaches, mountains,
wildlife and cultural discoveries. Here are
some of the area's highlights.
Buea is the capital of the Southwest
region, and home to the breathtaking and
awe-inspiring Mount Cameroon, an active
volcano that stands at over 13,200 feet
(4,023 meters) above sea level. Officially
the highest mountain in West and Central
Africa, waking up at sunrise at foot of the
mountain allows for a spectacularly clear
view of the mountain, including the peak,
which is an amazing sight to behold.
Mount Cameroon provides an amazing
hiking opportunity. The landscape ranges
from tropical rainforest to savannah, and
from a bare snow-capped summit to caves
and waterfalls, as well as boasting rare
birds and flowers. Hiking tours ranging
from a few hours to a full three-day
excursion, complete with a guide and
someone to carry your bags, can be easily
arranged locally for $120 - $150 per
person.
If hiking is not your thing, then you might
prefer relaxing in the picturesque town of
Limbe, perfectly located between Mount
Cameroon and the Atlantic Ocean.
Driving to Limbe you are surrounded by
miles of lush greenery. With views of the
Atlantic Ocean, clear blues skies and
Mount Cameroon in the background the
landscape is simply stunning and the photo
opportunities endless. You will be jumping
out of your vehicle several times to simply
breathe in the amazing air and absorb the
view.
Limbe is a popular area for tourists as
there is so much to do in this pretty town.
Wandering Limbe during the day you will
find a picture-perfect busy town (exercise
caution when crossing the busy streets)
with friendly locals, cafes and the famous
black sand beaches.
In the town I highly recommend sampling
the roadside treats of freshly made French
crepes, a throwback to the country's
French colonial past. The crepes are
delicious -- a popular and familiar treat for
the Western palate.
The black sand beaches are home to beach
lovers and local fisherman, and it is
fascinating to sit back and watch the
fishermen going about their chores. Be
sure to ask before you take any pictures of
the fisherman as they may not take kindly
to the intrusion. Nevertheless, if you are
lucky like I was, you could be taken on an
impromptu and interesting tour of the area
where the fish are cleaned, smoked and
prepared to eat. The fish found in Limbe
are mainly bar, ribbon and cuttle fish and
are the freshest I have ever tasted.
Wildlife and tea
Limbe Botanic Gardens provide the
opportunity to see rare flowers and walk
amongst the 1,500 closely planted trees,
many of which are medicinal. The
abundance of trees and flowers makes the
gardens a paradise for birds.
This is a great place to visit for the entire
family; It has a large open-air arena where
local traditional dancing and drumming
take place, and the dancers actively
encourage visitors to join in as they teach
you traditional dance moves. There is also
a wonderful arts and crafts store where
you can buy incredible souvenirs from all
over Cameroon.
The Limbe Wildlife Center is a thrilling
treat. A collaboration between the
government of Cameroon and the
Pandrillus Foundation, the center is home
to 15 species of primate and several other
animals native to Cameroon. The center is
designed so you feel like you are walking
almost amongst the primates despite the
electrified wire fences that secure both the
animals and visitors.
A visit to the Tole Tea Estate, the oldest tea
plantation in Cameroon, is another treat.
Visitors are taken on a tour around the
plantation where you witness each step of
the entire tea-making process. At the end
of the tour you are treated to a delicious
cup of tea presented in a beautiful British-
style traditional cup and saucer
accompanied by a delightful English
biscuit. The juxtaposition of this against
the West African backdrop is cause for
pause, amusement and delight.
Somber reminders of slavery
Like other countries in West Africa,
Cameroon was a part of the dark history of
slavery when for centuries many Africans
were taken from the continent to North
and South America, and the West Indies.
Not far from Limbe is Bimbia village.
Situated on the Atlantic Ocean, Bimbia
served as a slave port, and while not as
intact as other slave castles in West Africa,
you can still clearly see the remains and
relics of the former fortress.
Read this: 'Slave trade ghost town'
Currently under restoration, the path to
Bimbia Slave Port requires a long walk
through bamboo and bushes, and
poignantly this is the same path thousands
of slaves walked for centuries on their way
to the port. Not to everyone's taste, there
is a reenactment of captured slaves
complete with shackles and chains, which
brings the experience of the slave port to a
dramatic reality.
Our ambition is to be one of the best
known and most attractive destinations in
sub Saharan Africa.
Nightlife in Limbe is lively and fun, and
ranges from outdoor restaurants to packed
nightclubs. The Fini Hotel has a fantastic
restaurant that serves an array of
Cameroonian dishes and local delicacies
such as bitter leaf stew, crocodile and
cassava as well as shrimp and fish
prepared with local spices like fufu and
Eru. Plantains and cocoyams seem to
accompany almost every meal. French
wines are plentiful in Cameroon, but by far
the most popular alcoholic beverages are
beers, and Cameroon has its own Castel
and 33 beer, which are as popular as they
are strong.
The popular local nightclub Le Calyspo is
part of the Fini hotel, and is designed with
the international party going crowd in
mind. Another popular nightclub is Spyce.
Part of the Chariot Hotel, Spyce was much
like any other club you would find
elsewhere in the world, with a great sound
system and energized crowd that dance to
everything from local makossa rhythms, to
international pop music.
This is just a small sample of what
Cameroon has to offer tourists. It must be
pointed out that the country is an
emerging tourist destination, which means
there is still much work to be done in fully
developing the tourism sector.
While the country is easy to travel around,
there are advisories warning against travel
to the Far North Province and certain
border areas. Amenities can vary
dramatically, and even the most seasoned
African traveler should be prepared to fully
embrace a certain amount of ruggedness.
Nevertheless, Cameroon is one of the most
rapidly developing tourism markets in sub-
Sahara Africa, providing a chance for
tourists to visit this stunning part of the
world before everyone else catches on.

KAMITY37, zimbo1 liked this post
ngantsop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:48 AM   #89
zimbo1

Likes (Received): 3128

900-year-old stone kingdom: The breathtaking ruins of Great Zimbabwe

(CNN) -- Legend has it that this was once a playground for the giants -- and for visitors gazing over this steep hill in southern Zimbabwe it's easy to understand why.
Quote:
Spread around in every direction, great jumbled blocks of granite rise from the ground to create spectacular rock formations, their fantastical shapes fashioned by centuries of wind and rain, of heat and cold. Stacked upon one another, such boulders are scattered haphazardly across the southern African country .Zimbabwe is indeed home to one of Africa's most breathtaking landscapeLiving here amongst the boulders, in the hills of Masvingo province, the Zimbabwean people are largely Shona. Sometimes known as Bantu, they form three quarters of the country's population.

Shona people first settled in the region more than 1,000 years ago and for centuries flourished in the region's lush green savannah plains. Central to their prosperity was the ancient town of Great Zimbabwe, the capital of a booming trading empire that flourished between the 11th and 15th centuries, extending over the gold-rich plateau in southern Africa.

Located some 30 kilometers from the modern Zimbabwean town of Masvingo, the stone ruins of Great Zimbabwe are today one of the continent's most impressive monuments, linking the present with the past.
A UNESCO World Heritage site since 1986, the archeological remains contain the largest ancient structure in sub-Saharan Africa.According to UNESCO, the method of construction in Great Zimbabwe is unique in the continent's architecture and although there are cases of similar work elsewhere, none are as exceptional and imposing as here.The first thing that draws the visitor's eye is the high level of craftmanship that went into the construction of the site. Skillful stonemasons built massive dry-stone walls, incorporating large natural boulders into some of the structures. Walls extend between rocky outcrops and massive rocks, forming a maze of narrow passageways and the enclosures.

The site extends over about 800 hectares and it can be divided into three main architectural zones. The Hill Complex is generally considered a royal site, and the Valley Ruins are a series of living spaces. But most impressive is the Great Enclosure, a spectacular circular monument made of cut granite blocks that was entirely built in curves. Its outer wall extends some 250 meters and it has a maximum height of 11 meters, making it the largest single pre-colonial structure in Africa south of the Sahara.While trade kept the community prosperous, religious life was also rich at Great Zimbabwe, which had an estimated population of about 18,000 people in its heyday.

Although the stone city was largely abandoned around the 1450s, its cultural and historical significance didn't wane with the passing of centuries.
In fact, Great Zimbabwe became such an important part of the national identity that the country itself was named for this ancient city -- "Zimbabwe" derives from the Shona name for the historic town -- meaning "big houses of stone."
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/01/29/tr...reat-zimbabwe/

ngantsop liked this post
zimbo1 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2014, 10:55 AM   #90
zimbo1

THE Jameson Victoria Falls Carnival ended on a high note on New Year’s Day with close to 50,000 people attending the three-day music extravaganza. The outdoor festival – jam-packed with carnival-type festivities, including live performances by top Southern African musicians, attracted tourists from countries such as South Africa, Zambia, Botswana,Namibia,Australia, New Zealand and Britain.

Quote:
On December 29, 2013 there was a bush party at Jafuta, a few kilometres out of the resort town.Revellers were taken to the bush venue aboard the vintage steam train.Hordes of tourists swarmed the Victoria Falls train station just after 4pm to board the steam train. Party lovers enjoyed the true African beauty listening to the beats from DJ Francis and others until the early hours of Monday morning.

The carnival moved to Victoria Falls Farm school and intensified with the performance of more groups such as Mokoomba and Evicted.Mokoomba are being feted as Africa’s most internationally successful young band after a rise that is well deserved. They belted out their songs mostly sung in Tonga and Nambya much to the delight of the tourists who loved their instruments and the coherence of the instruments.

They sang songs such as Mvula, Nisodzi, Nimukonda and Yoni, after which came December Streets, ISO and Just Jinjer.

Just Jinjer also proved to be the crowd favourite with its contemporary rock touch. The rock group, which has sold more than a quarter million albums, toured with U2, Counting Crows, Live, Goo Goo Dolls, plus dozens of other massive artistes played songs such as Can I Have More, Home and Time of Your Life and What He Means.

“I love the performance by Mokoomba even if I don’t understand a word they were singing, they are good in performance,” said Mery Loghan from USA.
On New Year’s Eve, the line up for artistes stood who performed included Chikwata 263, Shortstraw, Jeremy Loops, Mampi, Flash Republic, Jason Le Roux, Judgment Yard, DJ Cmbaville and DJ AceDaBass.

Zimbabwe Tourism Authority chief executive officer, Karikoga Kaseke was part of the crowd and he marvelled at the number of tourists mainly regional ones who attended the carnival.Also present was South Africa’s top socialite Bonang Matheba
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:10 AM   #91
zimbo1

Kangaroo MZ liked this post
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:12 AM   #92
zimbo1

Kenya Expects More Tourists From China To Boost Industry

VENTURES AFRICA – In a bid to boost the contribution of its tourism sector to the country’s GDP, Kenya has stepped up the drive to arouse the interest of more tourists from Asian countries.

Quote:
Among other things, the East African country has embarked on exhibitions and a publicity programme using various international media houses. This move, according to Muriithi Ndegwa, Managing Director of Kenya Tourism Board has been well received by China.

According to him, the board had therefore signed a pact with China that would see its national television, CCTV air documentaries filmed at Kenya’s rich wildlife reserves.Kenya’s hope of a brighter future for its tourism industry was raised last week, with the visit of 110 tour operators from China.

The traditional markets – Britain, Europe and the US – of Kenya’s tourism industry slowed down due to attacks by suspected terrorists in Mombassa, Nairobi and some northern parts of the country. This triggered the tourism agency’s need to explore new markets, with Asia the focus at the moment.

“We have been marketing Kenya to first-tier cities like Beijing, Shanghai to create more awareness in the Chinese market,” Mr Ndegwa was quoted by BusinessDaily as saying.

Kenya’s world famous tourist sites including monuments and wildlife parks have gone on China’s CCTV, he said
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM   #93
zimbo1

Egypt's Tourism Down 50% Due To Ongoing Unrest

man thats what I hate about having tourism as a part of your economy it's dependent on external and political influences

Quote:
Egypt's tourism revenues have dropped a massive 43 per cent so far this year due to ongoing unrest keeping holidaymakers away.The country confirmed that tourism revenues had almost halved for the first three months of this year - traditionally when travellers flock to its beaches for some winter sun.Adela Ragab, economic adviser to Egypt's Minister of Tourism, said the country earnt £700million from tourism in the first quarter of 2014, which is significantly less compared to other years.

The country has been unstable since President Hosni Mubarak was deposed in 2011, but the tourism sector had managed to remain relatively bouyant - partiuclarly in the well-protected Red Sea Resorts.
However, in February a coach carrying Korean tourists was bombed by Islamist extremists, which caused countries around the world to impose sever restrictions even on tourists hoping to visit the popular resort towns of Sharm el Sheikh and Hurghada.

Ragab said around 15 countries issued travel warnings against Egypt after the incident, which contributed to a 30 per cent drop in the number of tourists in the first quarter to two million people.The sector saw a 41 percent drop in revenue last year to £3.5billion compared to the previous year after hundreds were killed in the violence that followed the army's overthrow of Islamist President Mohamed Mursi in July.

While some countries have banned all travel to Egypt, the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) has reiterated that Britons can still holiday in Sharm el Sheikh.
However, it has advised against all but essential travel to the South Sinai area with the exception of the Sharm el Sheikh perimeter barrier, which includes the airport and the areas of Sharm el Maya, Hadaba, Naama Bay, Sharks Bay and Nabq.However tourist attractions, such as the ancient St Catherine's Monastery - a popular day trip from Sharm el Sheikh - are now off-limits.The FCO warns: 'We believe that terrorists continue to plan attacks. Attacks could be indiscriminate and could occur without prior warning.'
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/ar...#ixzz304ZHjEQY
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook
Old April 27th, 2014, 11:43 AM   #94
zimbo1

7 African music festivals you really have to see

(CNN) -- One of the most exciting things about the African continent is its dynamic arts and culture scene. The celebration of this is even more amazing. The Fest Gurus have set out on a journey to visit every major festival on the continent to share their beauty and tell a different story about Africa through the exploration of its arts, culture and music.
Festivals are not just a good time but a key element in the development of the arts scene, one of Africa's hidden treasures. Here are seven of the continent's best.

Quote:
Lake Of Stars - Malawi

Every year for the past 10 years, Lake Malawi has played host to one of Africa's most respected festivals, the Lake of Stars. The Lake of Stars festival has been hailed variously as "simply the finest festival in the world" and "the world's most spectacular music festival" by major media outlets.
There's never a dull moment at this event; some performers have been known to do their sets from trees, while the minister of tourism even skydived into the festival. One of the most interesting aspects of the festival is that none of the international artists who perform are paid a fee. Past editions have included headliners The Noisettes, Oliver Mtukudzi, and FreshlyGround. Local Malawian music fuses with styles including Swedish electronic dance music at this festival. (26-28 September 2014)

HIFA - Zimbabwe

The Harare International Festival of the Arts (HIFA) is touted as the "Glastonbury of African festivals."
Established in 1999, the festival takes place each year in late April or early May in Harare, the capital of Zimbabwe. The week-long festival encompasses five principal disciplines: theater, music, dance, fine art, and poetry. Attendees can take djembe drumming lessons, take in a poetry session, fashion show or catch their favorite artists performing.
HIFA is probably the most innovative in terms of social media use; last year, the festival had a screen that showed attendees' tweets. Another great thing about HIFA is that you pay per event, according to your interest, unlike other festivals where a standard price is paid for all events. (29 April - 4 May)

Cape Town International Jazz Festival

South Africa plays hosts to many of Africa's big festivals including Oppikoppi, Joburg Arts Fest and Grahamstown Festival. However, the Cape Town International Jazz Festival is one of the most popular and longest running.
Founded in 2000, it is recognized as the fourth-largest jazz festival in the world and the largest jazz festival on the African continent. The great thing about this festival is that it features performers across a variety of genres, so there's something for everyone. The action takes place across two huge stages. This year's crop of artists features Erykah Badu alongside local acts like Micasa, The Soil and more.With the festival celebrating 15 years, and Cape Town being named the "World Design Capital of 2014," it's one not to be missed! (March 28-29 2014)

Sauti Za Busara - Tanzania

The Sauti za Busara festival, which translates to "Sounds of Wisdom," is held every year in February in Stone Town, Zanzibar, Tanzania. Performance spaces include old forts, amphitheaters and other historic buildings. Besides live music shows, the festival includes several other activities such as movie screenings, fashion shows and networking events for those in the entertainment industry. (February 13-16 2014)

Marrakesh Popular Festival of the Arts - Morocco

Like South Africa, Morocco hosts a large number of festivals. At the Marrakesh festival, expect to see snake charmers, fortune tellers, fire eaters and acrobats competing for your attention while you listen to traditional Moroccan music via Berber musicians, drummers and dancers. (2014 dates TBA)

Bushfire Festival - Swaziland

When post people think of Swaziland, they think of King Mswati and the Reed Dance. However, the capital city Mbabane puts on a thriving music festival called based Bushfire. It was listed as one of "Nine Music Festivals You Actually Want to Attend This Summer" by MTV Iggy.
Like HIFA, Bushfire fest hosts an impressive lineup of international and local acts. The party never ends as guests have the option of camping at the festival location. Of the things that makes the fest unique is that all funds raised go back to the local communities. (30 May-1 June 2014)

Vic Falls Carnival - Zimbabwe

Vic Falls carnival is the youngest festival on the list (it begun in 2011) and takes place in Victoria Falls Town, Zimbabwe. Performances take place during the evening so that guests can take advantage of the tourist capital by day by indulging in activities like white water rafting, paying a visit to the Victoria Falls, bungee jumping or visiting the museum.
Although held at the very end of December, southern Africa's rainy season, this three-day festival is the perfect way to welcome the New Year. Expect a mostly alternative/rock lineup with some local Zimbabwean acts and one or two artists from neighboring Zambia.
One of the unique aspects of Vic Falls fest is the journey there. A steam train picks up attendees in South Africa, while Namibians, Tswana's and Zambians can catch buses in their respective countries. On one night of the festival, guests are packed into the steam train which stops in the middle of a national park and hosts a DJ-fueled dance party. (2014 Dates TBA)
http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/21/tr...sic-festivals/

ngantsop liked this post
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:05 PM   #95
popa1980

Likes (Received): 3412

I hope Cameroon realises its massive potential.

Personally I feel that Cameroon and Gabon should come together to form a joint marketing agency.
popa1980 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM   #96
bidonv

Likes (Received): 2882

By:af.reuters.com
Morocco, Gulf to provide 40 pct of $2.8 bln tourism projects: minister
Tue May 6, 2014 2:13pm GMT

By Matt Smith

Quote:
DUBAI (Reuters) - Morocco and four Gulf states will provide 40 percent of the financing for 2 billion euros ($2.78 billion) of tourism projects in Casablanca, Tangier and Rabat, the North African country’s tourism minister told Reuters on Tuesday.

The government announced plans to redevelop Casablanca’s port area last month, valuing the investment from the Gulf countries - Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates – at 6 billion dirhams ($741.14 million), although it now appears the Gulf states’ contribution could be lower. [ID:nL5N0MT4FV]

These countries will also collaborate with Morocco on mixed use projects in Rabat and Tangier that will include residential housing, Minister of Tourism Lahcen Haddad told Reuters on the sidelines of an industry exhibition in Dubai.

“This should cost 2 billion euros for all (three) of them,” said Haddad, adding this would be split roughly equally between the projects.

He said Morocco and the four Gulf countries would provide 40 percent of the funding for the three projects and the remainder would come from private investors and bank financing.

“The idea is to have this vehicle where there will be sovereign money from Morocco and the four states and all of that money will be there as leverage in order to bring in money from different places,” said Haddad.

“It’s a public-private partnership. When you do residential (developments) you generate your own money.”

Haddad said the Rabat project would develop a valley between the Moroccan capital and nearby Salé, which will include residential units, hotels and cultural attractions such as a museum and a theatre.........................Read more
Old May 7th, 2014, 05:52 AM   #97
BUTEMBO21
Mutu ya Chuma.

Likes (Received): 5944

Quote:
Originally Posted by popa1980 View Post
I hope Cameroon realises its massive potential.

Personally I feel that Cameroon and Gabon should come together to form a joint marketing agency.
They need to go beyond attracting French only, the world is much bigger.
BUTEMBO21 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:15 AM   #98
ngantsop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
The largest number of tourists (24% of total arrivals)who took a trip to cameroon in 2013 were people of CEMAC region. Not only French people are coming to Cameroon even though they have the largest number of arrivals comparing to americans,canadians, Asians and others europeans.

BUTEMBO21 liked this post
ngantsop no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2014, 11:22 AM   #99
ngantsop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUTEMBO21 View Post
The largest number of tourists (24% of total arrivals)who took a trip to cameroon in 2013 were people of CEMAC region. Not only French people are coming to Cameroon even though they have the largest number of arrivals comparing to americans,canadians, Asians and others europeans.
Old May 8th, 2014, 03:02 AM   #100
zimbo1

Zim named 2014 World Best Tourist Destination by eu council

Zimbabwe has been awarded the 2014 World Best Tourist Destination title by the European Union Council on Tourism and Trade (ECTT) for promoting eco-tourism and successfully convening the 20th session of the World Tourism Organisation General Assembly conference last year. The council named Zimbabwe as the World Best Tourist Destination for 2014 and receiver of the Favourite Cultural Destination distinction for 2014 despite tremendous logistic and economic challenges facing the country.

Quote:
“The successful organisation of this world event (UNWTO conference) in spite of huge logistic and economic challenges, proves without doubt, the capacity of the Zimbabwe Government and the tourism industry’s capacity to organise world level events,” Prof Anton Caragea, president of the ECTT said in a statement.

“Following a magnificent vision and the organisation of a successful world tourism meeting, Zimbabwe has unequivocally demonstrated that it is a safe, open and perfect tourism destination.”

He hailed Zimbabwe for supporting the promotion of community-based tourism which ensured the survival of sustainable tourism, with its low ecological impact and preservation of natural biodiversity and protection of endangered species in southern Africa. “Community-based eco-tourism promoted by Minister Walter Mzembi is a perfect way of sharing revenue that supports rural communities’ prosperity through opportunities to market their foodstuffs and handicrafts to the world,” the ECTT president said.

“The way in which eco-tourism has become the base for local economic development, providing benefits to communities, makes eco-friendly tourism the lesson that the Republic of Zimbabwe is offering to the world.”

Zimbabwe also scored highly for giving tourists access to outstanding and pristine nature, the opportunity to explore nature as well as the opportunity to visit the country’s unique and extraordinary landscapes, national parks and cultural and historical monuments.
The country won praise for affording tourists a chance to visit the Great Zimbabwe Monument, which offered them a rare insight into one of the greatest pre-colonial civilisation of Africa and a rare window into centuries old traditions.

The ECTT said the preservation of cultural and natural sites of world significance such as the Great Zimbabwe Monument (added to the Unesco World Heritage Site list in 1986), Khami Ruins Monument, Matobo Hills, Mana Pools National Park, Ziwa Monuments and the Victoria Falls among others, made destination Zimbabwe “an incomparable contribution to the world legacy”.

“Zimbabwe is today a hot spot for adventure tourism, offering large areas suitable for this special kind of tourism and the necessary infrastructure to welcome the adventure seeker, its safety and peace, makes the country one of the world’s top adventure destinations,” the council noted.

“Keeping alive indigenous traditions allows tourists and visitors to be part of the Zimbabwe people’s social fabric which offers the possibility for an enriching cultural experience – are all achievements that make Zimbabwe a first class destination.”

Tourism and Hospitality Industry Minister Engineer Walter Mzembi was also appointed as an academic member of the European Tourism Academy.

The awards are by nomination and are conferred to the country that would have demonstrated significant strides in improving its tourism status.
Previous holders of the award during the last five years include the United Arab Emirates Turkey, Laos and South Korea.
http://www.herald.co.zw/zim-named-20...t-destination/