daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old December 15th, 2016, 05:16 PM   #41
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5041

I hope so, we need some positive announcements soon. There's a lot of naysayers down here doubting there will be anything happening and people are growing tired of all the promises for good news.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

carlosfng, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
marcvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old December 15th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #42
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 619

Honestly if Miami wanted a team they would have gotten one by now if you ask me. How does Atlanta and Orlando get a team over them?

Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2016, 06:41 PM   #43
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Atlanta and Orlando had the ownerships with all the money it needed to make it happen in place and the city of Miami wasn't looking for a team to begin with. It's all Beckham's initiative but what is ridiculous is he apparently didn't have the financial backing in place to go through with it. I guess he thought the city would bend over backwards to give him prime real estate for the stadium which wasn't the case. This city is averse to gifting wealthy sports entities after what happened with the Marlins stadium.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

Old December 15th, 2016, 07:02 PM   #44
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2565

The Miami being huge into soccer thing cause hispanic is kind of a misleading cliche, soccer is taking off in the US in many cities because it's gaining it's own popularity here, soccer was already popular in Europe and Latin America etc, but that's not necessarily what's sucking cities into it here.

5portsF4n, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Miami High Rise no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 03:58 AM   #45
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 909

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami High Rise View Post
The Miami being huge into soccer thing cause hispanic is kind of a misleading cliche, soccer is taking off in the US in many cities because it's gaining it's own popularity here, soccer was already popular in Europe and Latin America etc, but that's not necessarily what's sucking cities into it here.
While I agree, Miami has the wrong kind of Hispanics anyway, ie, the ones who dont have a traditional following of the game (Cubans, Dominicans).

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:22 AM   #46
CubanBread

Likes (Received): 394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy114 View Post
At this rate Tampa gets a team again before Miami lol
Funny you should say that. The Tampa Bay Rowdies officially put in their bid and started their campaign to join the MLS.

And they basically already have the stadium they would just be renovating an expanding Al lang stadium in downtown St. pete were they play now.

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/stadiumplan

CubanBread no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2016, 04:52 PM   #47
Chevy114

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanBread View Post
Funny you should say that. The Tampa Bay Rowdies officially put in their bid and started their campaign to join the MLS.

And they basically already have the stadium they would just be renovating an expanding Al lang stadium in downtown St. pete were they play now.

http://www.rowdiessoccer.com/stadiumplan
I'm well aware and watched the live press conference. We don't deserve an MLS team here. Our stadium plan is a joke, the stadium itself is ugly, and Orlando isn't that far of a drive to warrant a 2nd mls team that close.
Old December 16th, 2016, 05:55 PM   #48
amadora2700

Likes (Received): 423

I would love to know the exact deadline date that the commissioner gave to Beckham to have the land for a stadium and the financing in place. Expansion is now $150 million and applications for other teams have to be in by January 31, 2017. It could be that Beckham misses his deadline. I wonder if Beckham can make a deal with another team/investors where they can assume his discount price of $25 million. If you want so save $125 million on the MLS entry fee, call Beckham in as a partner. I'm thinking we might see something happening in Detroit, Sacramento and Cincinnati. I could be wrong.

amadora2700 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:18 PM   #49
carlosfng

Likes (Received): 576

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
While I agree, Miami has the wrong kind of Hispanics anyway, ie, the ones who dont have a traditional following of the game (Cubans, Dominicans).
Yes and no. On one hand, it is true that many Hispanics in Miami are traditionally followers of other sports. Cubans, Dominicans, Ricans, Nicaraguans are all baseball people. And many immigrants from other parts of the US, along with Floridian whites and blacks, are also non-soccer fans.

However, the influx of Central and South Americans, particularly since the last decade or two, has made soccer very popular. Another influence as well is the growing hipster millenial culture that also is soccer friendly, and all the visitors from overseas coming to Ocean Drive, Wynwood, and other hip neighborhoods. One only needed to see the many people who went crazy down here for the WC, including young Americans. Caribbean blacks also tend to follow their home nations' national teams at least (though they also like cricket I believe).

That being said... I think soccer fandom here also falls to the overarching fairweather fandom problem Miami has. The young American hip soccer fans tend to root for the US national sides and an EPL side, because they are cooler than MLS. The first-gen Hispanics who love soccer tend to likewise dismiss MLS as below their standards and either hold onto their national and club allegiances from back home - or worse, become even stronger Europhiles than they were before. (It is common to see Real Madrid vs Barcelona arguments.)

Judging from the attendances of the Dolphins, the Marlins (baseball Hispanics behave the same way), and the Heat post-Wade, I think I am right that fairweatherness is a cultural problem of the city as a whole. Which is why I always mentioned before that if Miami is to have a popular soccer team, they will have to bring Ronaldo or a similar star to gather the fickle population's attention from the start and build on from there. But, seeing that Beckham's group has trouble to even get land for the stadium in the first place, I rather support the Ft Lauderdale Strikers or Miami FC into getting into USL before NASL collapses...
carlosfng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2016, 08:40 AM   #50
carnifex2005

Likes (Received): 1360

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadora2700 View Post
I would love to know the exact deadline date that the commissioner gave to Beckham to have the land for a stadium and the financing in place. Expansion is now $150 million and applications for other teams have to be in by January 31, 2017. It could be that Beckham misses his deadline. I wonder if Beckham can make a deal with another team/investors where they can assume his discount price of $25 million. If you want so save $125 million on the MLS entry fee, call Beckham in as a partner. I'm thinking we might see something happening in Detroit, Sacramento and Cincinnati. I could be wrong.
Garber confirmed that Beckham's discounted price (rumoured to be $25 million to buy a franchise) is only with his stated city of Miami. Beckham won't be paying full freight for a team in another city. He isn't that rich. it is also the reason why he is trying so hard to make it work in Miami. He has no other choice.
Old December 22nd, 2016, 09:34 AM   #51
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2565

I feel kind of bad for him. I think he has kind of a tourist or outsider or foreign rich person view of Miami, and doesn't know the inner dynamics.
That including corruption, poverty, crime, lack of interest in civics, fair weather fans in a proven band wagon city.
Old January 3rd, 2017, 07:23 PM   #52
amadora2700

The clock is ticking Mr. Beckham...

http://www.miamiherald.com/opinion/e...122092189.html

Old January 8th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #53
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 259

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ise-Miami.html

Quote:
David Beckham is fast running out of time to get his proposed Major League Soccer franchise off the ground in Miami, with the league officials having already granted him leeway in finalising long-delayed plans.

MLS commissioner Don Garber warned the Beckham group last month that the deadline for them to become the 24th team in the MLS was looming, without giving a specific date.

But the end of this month is now accepted by Beckham’s aides as the absolute cut-off for having a signed contract in place with new investors who will help fund the building of a stadium on land already purchased for the project in the Overtown area of Miami.

The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2017, 04:25 PM   #54
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Hope it's true. The uncertainty is rediculous.

Old January 8th, 2017, 09:20 PM   #55
amadora2700

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
There is so much speculation in that article; thoughts, acts and deadlines without attribution to specific people.

Playing in a temporary home until a new stadium is built? As long as it's finalized, payed for and approved, then yes.

We see how "committed" NYCFC is to finding a new stadium.

Old January 9th, 2017, 03:56 PM   #56
Chevy114

I love how because David Beckham got in the mix, it was a sure thing. Reminds me of every city trying to win back a team with half ass effort, bring in a former star, half a few renderings, even a rally or two to make it look like it's a real thing. Whatever.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, carlosfng liked this post
Old January 9th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #57
marcvader
not a half-stepper

The city of Miami has never pursued an MLS team. This was all Beckham from the start.

ChuckScraperMiami#1, carlosfng liked this post
Old January 9th, 2017, 05:48 PM   #58
Chevy114

Then maybe that's why it seems so half hearted lol

Old January 9th, 2017, 06:44 PM   #59
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Haphazard is a better description. I think he and his partners thought they would get prime real estate for the stadium for a discount but found out the city was never going to do that. Apparently he and his partners only had enough money to purchase land and team but not the stadium as well. Land in downtown Miami which was the requirement is just way too expensive. The land offered by the city just west of downtown wasn't suitable.

Last edited by marcvader; January 9th, 2017 at 08:13 PM.
Old January 9th, 2017, 07:54 PM   #60
Chevy114

Yeah again I don't know too many people going to Overtown for soccer. Seems like they need to go back to the drawing board.