daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 7th, 2017, 09:37 PM   #81
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 258

Three years on and David Beckham's Miami MLS dream still looks light years away

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-y...103044254.html

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old February 7th, 2017, 10:08 PM   #82
amadora2700

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Three years on and David Beckham's Miami MLS dream still looks light years away

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/three-y...103044254.html
Considering how good some of the new bids seem, I have little confidence in the Miami bid. Not that I don't want to see Beckham get it, but FC Cincinnati just announced 11,000 season ticket sales as an example and Miami would still need to find a temporary home AND a permanent home; I don't even see an effort.

ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
amadora2700 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2017, 10:59 PM   #83
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadora2700 View Post
Considering how good some of the new bids seem, I have little confidence in the Miami bid. Not that I don't want to see Beckham get it, but FC Cincinnati just announced 11,000 season ticket sales as an example and Miami would still need to find a temporary home AND a permanent home; I don't even see an effort.
Miami is a prestige market for MLS, and David Beckham is a prestige owner. I.e., those two names are enough to draw big money and big talent to the league. That carries a lot more clout than a small market that draws well in a lower division. They will hold on to Miami to the bitter bitter end.

Also, Miami likely wouldn't begin playing until 2019 or 2020 at the earliest. That's plenty of time to get a stadium built once they finally sign on the dotted line.
Old February 12th, 2017, 07:03 AM   #84
Miami High Rise

Likes (Received): 2559

I don't know, knowing the local atmosphere better I don't think it's as big or "internationally recognized" in the way you are talking, as investors and outsiders sometimes try to see it.

And it shows in how in the bag this has proven not to be.

Is Miami a "prestige market" just because it's thought of as full of light brown people who we think of in some generic way as interested in "the soccer match going on in their home country?"
Old February 12th, 2017, 09:21 AM   #85
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5040

It is a "prestige" market when it comes to sports in general. All it's teams whether in college or professional have placed the city in the national spotlight time and time again. Especially in comparison to other MLS hopeful cities.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

carlosfng, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
marcvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2017, 11:26 PM   #86
The Game Is Up

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/featur...utm_m_medium=t

Quote:
As investors line up for expansion franchises, David Beckham's heavily discounted Miami bid looks like bad business for MLS.

amadora2700, ChuckScraperMiami#1 liked this post
Old February 18th, 2017, 02:09 AM   #87
carlosfng

Likes (Received): 576

It is not that there is no effort; it is just that Beckham and friends do not have the money. Or rather, they thought the whole thing would be cheaper and easier, and after finding out the real costs, they did poorly at attracting investors. (Side note: Claure does have some money, but I don't know if this is a priority to him at all or if he is for real overall; the other two look more like marketing faces and less like the very wealthy investors you need for this). I do wonder how much the Marlins Park funding fiasco affected this; perhaps if that had not happened, it would have been easier for city and county to dispense Beckham more in terms of costs and permits at better sites. But alas, Miami still has its traditional politics... and the main investors being oblivious outsiders to it did not help either...

Speaking of tradition, in an earlier comment I spoke about the fairweather sports fan problem. There you can see reasons about why outside of the quite small MLS loving minority, not many in the city talk about the Beckham effort to bring a team - and I agree with the comments that mention this as driving investors away a bit. There are two factors underneath that overarching fairweatherness I notice more and more - a large part of the population with no more than two generations here, and a lack of a consistent "culture of winning" decades-long sports heritage overall that usually is needed to convert newcomers from elsewhere to hardcore fans. Sure, the Dolphins and the Hurricanes were historically successful, but there are some caveats. Dolphins lost their charm when moving from the Orange Bowl and not winning afterwards, and UM was never really that popular to begin with (private college after all) and became has-beens after leaving the Orange Bowl as well. (It is also worth mentioning that Miamian culture eventually grew to be more about SoBe and urban culture and less about sports culture, which was not helped by the lack of consistently winning teams I mention. But that would derail the thread too much...). Speaking of soccer proper, there is a specific lack of winning hometown soccer heritage. The NASL Strikers were in Ft Lauderdale and folded in the early 80s. And let us not talk about the other poor franchise attempts. So in essence, unless this new Beckham team puts its foot in the door ready to take the MLS by storm (I mentioned bringing Ronaldo earlier), I do not see it becoming popular. Specially if they intend to put on a premium Marlins Park type of experience that wants to attract day trippers who wanna throw money away - see how that is working out for the Marlins (because again, Miamian culture...)

That said, considering the temporary home options compared to the current investors (subject to change I guess), I do not see them picking Dolphin Stadium (hard to get it full nor to get the Dolphins on board, perhaps both things are related), nor do I see them sharing Marlins Park and get even lesser crowds than the Marlins. So I am putting my money on FIU, which does have the obstacle of NASL Miami FC. But then again, all this subject to change...

Last edited by carlosfng; February 18th, 2017 at 02:22 AM.
carlosfng no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 9th, 2017, 03:17 AM   #88
The Game Is Up

Miami is still ‘slated to be our 24th team,’ says MLS Commish

http://miami.curbed.com/2017/3/7/148...franchise-2019

carlosfng liked this post
Old March 9th, 2017, 06:21 AM   #89
SJAnfield

Likes (Received): 133

MIAMI - Overtown Stadium (25,000)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Miami is still ‘slated to be our 24th team,’ says MLS Commish

http://miami.curbed.com/2017/3/7/148...franchise-2019

Garber and everyone involved won't say anything until it officially falls apart, or crosses the threshold of officially hopeless. The company line will always be "we expect Miami to join the league". I still see nothing concrete for the Miami club.

amadora2700, will101, carlosfng liked this post
SJAnfield está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2017, 04:07 AM   #90
The Game Is Up

Juan G. Arango‏Verified account @JuanG_Arango Mar 10
BTW #MiamiMLS is a 'maybe' acc. to that city's mayor today. "you can interpret it however you want" was his direct quote

I asked the mayor if 'maybe' was a yes or no... "sounds like a no"... then he gave answer I shared in prev tweet.

He wasn't happy with me because I wanted to know more and kept prodding for more than just an ambiguous answer.
Old March 12th, 2017, 07:37 PM   #91
will101

Likes (Received): 1580

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJAnfield View Post
Garber and everyone involved won't say anything until it officially falls apart, or crosses the threshold of officially hopeless. The company line will always be "we expect Miami to join the league". I still see nothing concrete for the Miami club.
The "Curse of Beckham" strikes again.
will101 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2017, 02:07 AM   #92
marcvader
not a half-stepper

Likes (Received): 5040

I'm waiting to be surprised but I really am starting to doubt this.

Either spend the money to do it right or don't do it at all. These half measures are a joke and setting up for failure down the line.

marcvader no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2017, 08:06 PM   #93
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

"Starting?"

amadora2700, will101 liked this post
GunnerJacket no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 01:26 AM   #94
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2447

Pretty much a reflection on Beckham's commitment. It was a nice perk as part of his contract, but he clearly isn't acting desperate to find investors or invest more himself. The question at this point is whether the league still tries to force another Miami project down the pipeline despite the lack of urgency to find a committed ownership group, or if they run while they still have the chance.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2017, 06:56 AM   #95
The Game Is Up

Miami-Dade commissioner: How much longer are we going to wait for David Beckham?

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/loca...138297438.html

Old March 20th, 2017, 05:23 PM   #96
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 619

Seriously this is really affecting if Tampa gets an MLS bid
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 06:53 AM   #97
The Game Is Up

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...roit-charlotte

Quote:
For Beckham, it's Miami or bust; Las Vegas not an alternative option under his deal

Despite three years of frustration and failure at three potential stadium sites (plus lengthy delays at a proposed fourth), MLS still hasn’t given up on David Beckham and Miami. Representatives from both sides continue to talk. Speculation ramped up last month, however, when the Oakland Raiders’ plan to move to Las Vegas was approved by the NFL. Beckham made in appearance in Vegas last April to tout the construction of a new stadium there and said, “To bring a great organization like the Raiders is incredible, but it’s bigger than that. It’s about the MLS coming here. It’s about bringing in the biggest European teams like Manchester United.”

It’s no coincidence that Beckham has a business relationship with Las Vegas Sands, whose chairman, Sheldon Adelson, was involved in the initial Raiders stadium effort. He’s since pulled out, however, leaving Beckham’s connection to Vegas more tenuous. Nevertheless, Beckham’s troubles raised questions concerning the future of the franchise he’s already purchased from the league. Could he abandon Miami for Las Vegas?

The answer is no, unless he were to work out an entirely new deal with the league.

The discounted franchise he purchased under the terms of his initial playing contract is valid only for the city he and MLS agreed upon. That’s Miami. If Beckham wants to pull out, it’ll cost him dearly. In addition, he’d have to want to go to a city that interests MLS, and there’s no reason to conclude Vegas is such a place. It’s barely a top-30 market (it ranks 29th in population, just below Cincinnati), has no history of supporting major pro sports and now suddenly will be saturated by NFL and NHL teams.

MLS has better options, meaning Beckham’s best chance to become an owner remains in Miami. MLS commissioner Don Garber has said there’s a deadline, but he hasn’t offered specifics. The league’s board of governors is scheduled to meet April 24 in Colorado Springs. Expansion is always on the agenda. A few days ago, MLS probably figured it had three teams to award. Now it’s four. And if Beckham can’t work things out, the board may decide it’s five.

Beckham's group released yet another optimistic statement at the end of February:

"Miami Beckham United is 100 percent committed to Miami, and we will continue working with Major League Soccer and Commissioner Garber as we finalize the launch of our world-class club. We have long viewed South Florida as prime territory for MLS expansion, and we see a tremendous opportunity to build our club's brand in this market while attracting top talent from around the world. We're making progress toward our goal of fielding a team in 2019, and we appreciate the strong support of our fans as our kick-off draws closer."

Old April 22nd, 2017, 01:43 AM   #98
The Game Is Up

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/david-b...045846817.html

Quote:
On Thursday at the World Congress of Sports, league commissioner Don Garber revealed that “a committee of owners” have come together to “evaluate what’s happening in Miami” in regards to Beckham’s stalled expansion team plans, which have been bogged down by an ongoing search for a stadium site. The “very complicated” topic will be discussed further at the league’s Board of Governors meeting in Colorado next week.

Garber praised Beckham, the former Los Angeles Galaxy star, as “a special guy” and said MLS would still “like to see him as an owner in our league” – a sentiment reminiscent of former NBA commissioner David Stern’s insistence that basketball icon Michael Jordan remain in his league as a team owner.

“We are intrigued by the Miami market, but developing stadiums and developing teams and ownership groups is very complicated,” said Garber, while speaking on a panel about “the future of the beautiful game” with U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati and CONCACAF president Victor Montagliani.

“In a world with less public funding in large cities, it’s not just complicated. It’s really, really expensive even with a low-cost option with David Beckham and Simon Fuller to have to come into our league. It’s a half-a-billion-dollar project.

“And as we’ve learned – as we’ve been growing our league carefully and in a very strategic way – is that we’d rather wait. And wait and wait on questions like this … before making a bad decision.”

amadora2700, carlosfng liked this post
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:12 AM   #99
amadora2700

Likes (Received): 416

At some point the onus turns upon Garber to go public with an update WITH details as to where this stands; many people have put in heavy investments into bids and they deserve transparency in return. Enough of covering each other's asses.
amadora2700 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2017, 02:45 AM   #100
PANTONE
aka ColorWerx

Likes (Received): 44

I swear - every time I see the title of this thread, I see this:

"MIAMI - Overblown Stadium (25,000)"

Seems appropriate.