daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old May 10th, 2016, 04:22 PM   #41
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Well fantastic Detroit City FC is in it's 5th year. I'm sure every current MLS team has had a team in their town for at least 4 years.
That's why I respect Detroit now.
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old May 12th, 2016, 10:00 PM   #42
redwingsfan

Likes (Received): 234

US Open Cup win shows Detroit City FC supporters thriving amidst MLS expansion talk
http://lastwordonsports.com/2016/05/12/225699/

5portsF4n, Chevy114 liked this post
redwingsfan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:23 AM   #43
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 258

rossetti's MLS stadium proposal to re-connect and revitalize the heart of detroit
http://www.designboom.com/architectu...it-05-17-2016/
Old May 18th, 2016, 05:08 PM   #44
Chevy114

Likes (Received): 619

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
rossetti's MLS stadium proposal to re-connect and revitalize the heart of detroit
http://www.designboom.com/architectu...it-05-17-2016/
Wow that's a sharp looking stadium!!!
Chevy114 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:30 PM   #45
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile

Likes (Received): 206

So, how many clubs are MLS looking to add?
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2016, 08:45 PM   #46
GunnerJacket
Oh look - a doughnut!

Likes (Received): 3240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmac1212 View Post
So, how many clubs are MLS looking to add?
Counting Miami among the franchises already awarded puts MLS at 24 teams, with Garber implying a few times over the past 9 months that they're looking for 2-4 more. Essentially they're trying to find the right additions to partner with Sacramento so that there is an even number of teams in the league and, preferably, within each division. Depending on which pundit you believe San Antonio, Saint Louis and Detroit are among the leading candidates for those 3 remaining slots.

Beyond that 28 many feel the league will eventually reach 32 teams, comparable to other major leagues in the US. But that's a good 10+ years out.
Old May 21st, 2016, 03:35 PM   #47
redwingsfan

Arn Tellem says group 'working' with county on costs for buying site, relocating court, jail
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...NEWS/160519839

Quote:
Arn Tellem, vice chairman of Gores-owned Palace Sports & Entertainment, said Thursday he is working with the county and conducting analysis that could determine if the project is feasible at the county's jail site downtown, where construction has been stalled.

Tellem spoke during the Pancakes & Politics breakfast at the Detroit Athletic Club, three weeks after billionaires Gilbert and Gores unveiled plans to pursue a Major League Soccer team and build a stadium in Detroit. The plan involved building a soccer stadium for as many as 25,000 people at the 15-acre jail site on Gratiot Avenue at I-375.

"We are working together, which is the most important thing," Tellem said Thursday. "We are doing an analysis and don't want taxpayers to foot the bill. It's the perfect site. My hope is we'll find a way to make it work."

5portsF4n liked this post
Old May 21st, 2016, 04:38 PM   #48
redwingsfan

https://twitter.com/DetroitCityFC

DCFC sets attendance record of 7,410 at Keyworth Stadium last night. A third of the stands are still unavailable due to ongoing construction. You can read about the stadium renovation here: http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...dium/84577080/

More photos: http://www.detroitnews.com/picture-g...or-1/84687726/
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:07 PM   #49
urban_encounter

Likes (Received): 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipperydog View Post
So that basically leaves four cities: St. Louis, San Antonio, Austin, and San Diego to fight it out for the last two spots. Not sure where the money is going to come from in St. Louis and San Diego respectively.

Interesting that Indy is going to get passed over.

Actually I think Sacramento and St. Louis are the two favorites going into the next round of expansion.

I don't really see Austin in the cards if San Antonio moves forward. Given that the Spurs are leading the push only helps San Antonio's chances.

San Diego is a longer shot imo.
urban_encounter no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 26th, 2016, 07:10 PM   #50
urban_encounter

The MLS really wants another team in the Midwest.

It will be interesting to see if they want another team in addition to St. Louis (which I think is a lock) in the next round of expansion.
Old May 27th, 2016, 02:45 AM   #51
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 908

I don't see how anyone could argue that St Louis is a lock. MLS may have a hard on for the city, but there's very little going on there. None of the ingredients are in place.
5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2016, 04:16 AM   #52
urban_encounter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5portsF4n View Post
I don't see how anyone could argue that St Louis is a lock. MLS may have a hard on for the city, but there's very little going on there. None of the ingredients are in place.
I understand what you're saying. I'm not really trying to make the case either way for St. Louis (because I really don't know much about their MLS potential compared to other markets wanting an expansion franchise). But since the Rams announced their relocation to Los Angeles it seems the MLS and Don Garber have gone out of their way to talk up St. Louis.
Old May 30th, 2016, 06:04 PM   #53
redwingsfan

6,245 were in attendance for DCFC's friendly match against FC United of Manchester.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0579535&type=3

I don't follow MLS much so can anyone tell me if they allow smoke bombs and real supporter groups in their stadiums? I would hate to see this type of fan atmosphere go away if the team ends up in MLS. It seems to me like the lower leagues have a unique college football like fan experience, compared to MLS which has a sterile corporate feel like the NFL.

Blueandwhite liked this post
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:03 AM   #54
5portsF4n

Likes (Received): 908

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan View Post

6,245 were in attendance for DCFC's friendly match against FC United of Manchester.

Photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...0579535&type=3

I don't follow MLS much so can anyone tell me if they allow smoke bombs and real supporter groups in their stadiums? I would hate to see this type of fan atmosphere go away if the team ends up in MLS. It seems to me like the lower leagues have a unique college football like fan experience, compared to MLS which has a sterile corporate feel like the NFL.
Err, no. Detroit, and the lower leagues, are not unique. By and large, MLS has way better atmosphere. Not at every stadium, but at a good number of them. You wanted smoke bombs, here are some.

5portsF4n no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 31st, 2016, 05:39 AM   #55
slipperydog

Likes (Received): 2444

Quote:
Originally Posted by urban_encounter View Post
I understand what you're saying. I'm not really trying to make the case either way for St. Louis (because I really don't know much about their MLS potential compared to other markets wanting an expansion franchise). But since the Rams announced their relocation to Los Angeles it seems the MLS and Don Garber have gone out of their way to talk up St. Louis.
The point is St. Louis is NOT a lock. Find me an ownership group, a stadium site, and a way to finance it, THEN I'll entertain such suggestions.
slipperydog no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2016, 11:45 PM   #56
Lakeland

MLS Commissioner wants to integrate Michigan Bucks and DCFC into Detroit MLS efforts
Quote:
Arn Tellem, Vice Chairman of Palace Sports & Entertainment, also commented on the inclusion of both franchises as well.

Tellem stated that:

“Every MLS team has a USL team affiliate, and that’s important to a potential franchise for both player and fan development,’ Tellem said. ‘We are fortunate to have two established minor league soccer programs here in Michigan with the Bucks and DCFC, and we’ve had conversations with both clubs. It’s premature to speculate where those conversations will lead, but we intend to keep talking about how we can work together as the bid process unfolds. We have tremendous respect for those clubs, their supporters and everything they’ve accomplished.”

EPA001 liked this post
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 13th, 2016, 06:55 AM   #57
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 258

Report: Detroit might get jail over soccer stadium after all

http://www.socceramerica.com/article...r-stadium.html

County presses plans for jail, not soccer stadium in Downtown Detroit

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/in...deal_with.html
Old July 13th, 2016, 10:38 PM   #58
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1173

I'm normally one to be critical of owners touting the economic impact of a stadium on a city. It is hard to quantify, but generally its not the cash cow its always made out to be.

But still... for a city that's trying to pull itself out of the shitter, they might want to reconsider the land use in the downtown area. Sell the land and use the money to build the jail elsewhere. I think you'd much rather have yuppie soccer fans than convicted criminals living in your downtown.
Old July 14th, 2016, 03:53 PM   #59
Lakeland

It's probably a negotiating ploy to get more money from Gilbert/Gores. They have until early fall (after they get bids in from the RFP) to reach a deal. I think fail jail is all the players' preferred site for a soccer stadium, including county officials. It just has to make financial sense for the County since they've already wasted a lot of money on the project and they still need a new jail.

Last edited by Lakeland; July 15th, 2016 at 11:35 PM.
Lakeland no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2016, 11:04 PM   #60
Bigmac1212
My mind is fragile

Likes (Received): 206

I'm not touching this recent development with a 12-foot pole.
Bigmac1212 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
detroit, stadium