daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 15th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #101
amadora2700

Likes (Received): 416

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
They have to make sure that this proposal isn't going to cost more than finishing the jail. There's more to it than just Gilbert building a jail for the same price as finishing the current jail. For once Wayne county is properly vetting something instead of the usual corruption that goes with these things.
Well said and I concur. I expect local politicians to be competent enough to do the math. Vetting is a plus and outside sources should be commissioned, but politicians need to know how to vet the vetters. I do have to say that Detroit's chances of landing a team keep escalating as time goes by.
amadora2700 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old March 2nd, 2017, 04:24 PM   #102
amadora2700

“Our expectation is that we’re going to be meeting with the expansion committee, probably in the late spring, in May or June,” Tellem responded to a Free Press question before the start of the Crain’s Newsmaker of the Year luncheon honoring Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores.

“And our hope is to be prepared and put our best foot forward by then, and to have things solidified by then.”

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2017/...s-this-spring/
Old March 23rd, 2017, 02:43 PM   #103
Lakeland

Detroit MLS bid goes all-in on Gratiot jail site
http://www.detroitnews.com/story/spo...site/99434064/

Quote:
Asked if Gilbert and Gores arrive at a drop dead date in 2017 or 2018 without locking up the Gratiot site, if they would forego the opportunity to bring an MLS franchise to Detroit, Cullen said, “You know, we’ll never rule anything else out, but that project is our critical focus.

“I learned a long time ago never to sort of make absolute statements, so let me just leave it that that’s where we’re focused.

“We’re confident that we’re going to be able to pull all this together.”

BTW, here's a recent shot of the site...

https://twitter.com/Lions/status/841280209022267394
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #104
peteyrocks

Likes (Received): 15

DETROIT MLS JAIL SITE BID

First off building a Soccer stadium and development on the jail site is a brilliant plan that was devised by Dan Gilbert. The fact that Wayne County and the city of Detroit is even thinking about finishing the jail preventing the MLS Soccer development to not take place is INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY BUT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OF GOVERNMENT AND THEIR LACK OF COMMON SENSE. The mere fact that a jail is being considered in an area in downtown next to the stadiums and Little Caesars Arena in an area ripe for development is totally beyond COMMON SENSE. It looks like Wayne County is ready to either listen and or even negotiate a deal for the MLS Stadium and Dan Gilbert. So my question is this AND IT MUST BE ASKED.... Who...either in Wayne County or the city of Detroit is against the MLS proposal ?????...which POLITICIAN is playing the part of DARTH VADER. ?????...WHO IS THE EVIL ONE IN THE ROOM????.... because honestly that person or persons needs to be exposed and singled out AND THE PRESSURE NEEDS TO BE PUT ON THEM TO EITHER STOP THE NONSENSE AND OR LEAVE THE ROOM ENTIRELY AND JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY. SOMEONE'S PALMS ARE BEING GREASED !!!! THIS IS WHY I HATE GOVERNMENT !!!! JUST GO AWAY !!!! SORRY FOR SHOOTING FROM THE HIP BUT SOMEONE WITH A RIGHT MIND NEEDS TO STAND UP AND SAY SOMETHING AND I JUST DID !!!!

amadora2700 liked this post
peteyrocks no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:13 AM   #105
BoulderGrad

Likes (Received): 1177

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteyrocks View Post
First off building a Soccer stadium and development on the jail site is a brilliant plan that was devised by Dan Gilbert. The fact that Wayne County and the city of Detroit is even thinking about finishing the jail preventing the MLS Soccer development to not take place is INCREDIBLE STUPIDITY BUT WHAT DO YOU EXPECT OF GOVERNMENT AND THEIR LACK OF COMMON SENSE. The mere fact that a jail is being considered in an area in downtown next to the stadiums and Little Caesars Arena in an area ripe for development is totally beyond COMMON SENSE. It looks like Wayne County is ready to either listen and or even negotiate a deal for the MLS Stadium and Dan Gilbert. So my question is this AND IT MUST BE ASKED.... Who...either in Wayne County or the city of Detroit is against the MLS proposal ?????...which POLITICIAN is playing the part of DARTH VADER. ?????...WHO IS THE EVIL ONE IN THE ROOM????.... because honestly that person or persons needs to be exposed and singled out AND THE PRESSURE NEEDS TO BE PUT ON THEM TO EITHER STOP THE NONSENSE AND OR LEAVE THE ROOM ENTIRELY AND JUST GET OUT OF THE WAY. SOMEONE'S PALMS ARE BEING GREASED !!!! THIS IS WHY I HATE GOVERNMENT !!!! JUST GO AWAY !!!! SORRY FOR SHOOTING FROM THE HIP BUT SOMEONE WITH A RIGHT MIND NEEDS TO STAND UP AND SAY SOMETHING AND I JUST DID !!!!
Hyperbole much? Shooting from the hip is exactly what you're doing here and it is not a good governance policy.

When numbers like $300mil are being discussed, I'd be concerned if the city or county DIDN'T take the time to read the fine print and make sure they were getting a good deal from the MLS bidders. Stadium deals have a pretty poor track record of looking like good deal on paper and then saddling the city with tremendous economic hardship because folks didn't do their due diligence (see the current situation with Glendale AZ).

And second of all, who said anything about the city or county balking at the deal? Considering/reviewing is not the same as rejecting. Patience young patawan. If the deal is as good as Glibert/Gores are making it out to be, the city will come to the right conclusion.

It astounds me sometimes how quickly folks jump to the conclusion that politicians are horribly inept/corrupt because they haven't leaped to action on X issue. Stadiums are one of many issues a politician has to consider. While not irrelevant, there are definitely more pressing issues to a city, especially one in the current state of Detroit.
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:40 AM   #106
peteyrocks

Respectively disagree.... The mere fact that the building of a jail on that site at or near the downtown area in Detroit with the revitalization of the downtown area and the potential for more in that area astounds me add to the fact that they couldn't finish the jail site because of lack of whatever shows you how messed up this situation is. I'll give you an example....Many years ago in New York City... the city was going to rebuild the Wollman Rink in Central Park...with the city running the show on this...they incredibly botched things up...cost overruns ...the project took years to implement...years and the project wasn't even completed as this real estate stood like a complete eyesore in Central Park and New York also went through a fiscal crisis like Detroit has recently encountered ...In steps Donald Trump and make no mistake....I AM NO DONALD TRUMP FAN...but he went in and finished the project in 6 months where it took the city years to not even finish the project...When asked on how he was able to finish the project on time and below budget...the Donald merely replied..."ALL I DID WAS FILL THE RINK WITH CONCRETE" !!!!!.....Look how long NYC and the Port Authority has taken to develop the site around the World Trade Central and look at SO MANY Government projects have been grossly mishandled and millions of dollars have been thrown away. JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YOU ASK...NO.... There is well documented history of how Government has juggled and bumbled projects just like the jail site in Detroit. Yes I have jumped to a conclusion...The city and Wayne County should walk away and let the private sector fix what the city and Wayne County could not.
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:45 AM   #107
sweet-d

Likes (Received): 265

You realize a lot of cities have jails downtown right. It's part of living in a damn city. You have jails, police headquarters, court houses, apartments, businesses. What's wrong with having a jail downtown?
sweet-d no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2017, 02:54 AM   #108
peteyrocks

Ok...let's use this example....Comerica Park and Ford Field are built....wanna be more recent...Little Caesars and District Detroit are developed....RETAIL PEOPLE WANNA NOW INVEST....bring money into the downtown area...MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN TAX REVENUE IS BROUGHT INTO THE AREA... Downtown is now great !!!!....GEE NOW i DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING SHOT BY SOMEONE WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN AT 6PM....I WANNA BRING MY KIDS INTO THE DOWNTOWN AREA...WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE THIS IS AND THEN THEY GO IN AND BUILD A DAMN JAIL HERE...BRILLIANT !!!! WHO WAS THE GENIUS WHO PLANNED THIS !!!!!
Old March 24th, 2017, 03:16 AM   #109
amadora2700

Quote:
Ok...let's use this example....Comerica Park and Ford Field are built....wanna be more recent...Little Caesars and District Detroit are developed....RETAIL PEOPLE WANNA NOW INVEST....bring money into the downtown area...MILLIONS OF DOLLARS IN TAX REVENUE IS BROUGHT INTO THE AREA... Downtown is now great !!!!....GEE NOW i DO NOT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT GETTING SHOT BY SOMEONE WHEN THE SUN GOES DOWN AT 6PM....I WANNA BRING MY KIDS INTO THE DOWNTOWN AREA...WHAT A BEAUTIFUL PLACE THIS IS AND THEN THEY GO IN AND BUILD A DAMN JAIL HERE...BRILLIANT !!!! WHO WAS THE GENIUS WHO PLANNED THIS !!!!!
I was under the impression they kept the cells locked...
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:07 AM   #110
peteyrocks

LOL !!! Na...it's not the cells ..LOL!!!! You know what I'm talking about....Jails bring down the value of Real Estate in an area...when the value comes down...people then back away from investing in an area...the investment becomes too risky...that's why this jail is so stupid. Look they built Comerica Park..Ford Field and now District Detroit is going up. Dan Gilbert is willing to build the tallest building in Detroit....THESE ARE ALL GOOD THINGS. Someone made a comment about what's wrong with having a jail downtown....ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!! You see this is an example of why Detroit has had a long history of corruption in it's city...Detroit just didn't go down when the Market crashed in 2008 and the automobile industry almost went belly up. Look at the riots of the 1960's ...Detroit has been a prime example of urban decay and corruption. Remember when you had the Final Four at Ford Field..the nation saw pictures of Detroit when neighborhoods looked like WAR ZONES and the city stood on the verge of total collapse. Now the city is on the rebound...people want to invest and do I dare say that even people want to live in Downtown Detroit....and there are people that want to build a jail right near the heart of the city. I guess some people just can't get out of their own way. THIS IS NOT A RACIAL OR ETHNIC ISSUE OR EVEN A POLITICAL ISSUE...IT'S ONE OF ECONOMICS...for those that want a jail to sit right in the middle of your downtown...common...you probably are saying I don't want you to invest in my downtown...get out of my downtown and to that I say NO...you get out of my downtown...better yet the people's downtown...OUR DOWNTOWN...who are you fooling. HAVE SOME CIVIC PRIDE to those people that want a FREAKING JAIL. JOIN THE REST OF US who want a Detroit that everyone can be proud of and the nation can be proud of. Sorry for this statement and being a little insensitive....but the ghetto will always remain the ghetto if only you want it to be the ghetto.
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:16 AM   #111
peteyrocks

on that note ....LET ME JUST TAKE MY MICROPHONE AND DROP IT TO THE FLOOR...I'M OUTTA HERE !!!!!
Old March 24th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #112
peteyrocks

REVIVAL OF DOWNTOWN DETROIT

http://www.districtdetroit.com/news/...-via-concourse

EPA001 liked this post
Old March 26th, 2017, 11:50 PM   #113
Lakeland

Quote:
Respectively disagree.... The mere fact that the building of a jail on that site at or near the downtown area in Detroit with the revitalization of the downtown area and the potential for more in that area astounds me add to the fact that they couldn't finish the jail site because of lack of whatever shows you how messed up this situation is. I'll give you an example....Many years ago in New York City... the city was going to rebuild the Wollman Rink in Central Park...with the city running the show on this...they incredibly botched things up...cost overruns ...the project took years to implement...years and the project wasn't even completed as this real estate stood like a complete eyesore in Central Park and New York also went through a fiscal crisis like Detroit has recently encountered ...In steps Donald Trump and make no mistake....I AM NO DONALD TRUMP FAN...but he went in and finished the project in 6 months where it took the city years to not even finish the project...When asked on how he was able to finish the project on time and below budget...the Donald merely replied..."ALL I DID WAS FILL THE RINK WITH CONCRETE" !!!!!.....Look how long NYC and the Port Authority has taken to develop the site around the World Trade Central and look at SO MANY Government projects have been grossly mishandled and millions of dollars have been thrown away. JUMP TO CONCLUSIONS YOU ASK...NO.... There is well documented history of how Government has juggled and bumbled projects just like the jail site in Detroit. Yes I have jumped to a conclusion...The city and Wayne County should walk away and let the private sector fix what the city and Wayne County could not.
That's why the County is doing their homework and making sure this deal is financially feasible for them. Kwame and Ficano already screwed it up once, Evans can't make the same mistake twice. I've heard from people that the deal has been basically done since last fall, but it's gonna take a while to close it out. This is not just about a new jail, it's about moving and building an entire criminal justice complex.

All the legal documents
https://rockventures.app.box.com/s/x...lkulmsifytte79

Current:

Future:

Old March 27th, 2017, 04:36 AM   #114
peteyrocks

Lakeland....GOOD INFO....GOOD JOB !!!!
Old March 28th, 2017, 04:06 AM   #115
The Game Is Up
Proud Facebook Non-Member

Likes (Received): 258

Detroit MLS bid goes all-in on Gratiot jail site

http://www.concordregister.com/detro...iot-jail-site/

amadora2700 liked this post
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 01:37 AM   #116
scolls

Likes (Received): 125

Quote:
LOL !!! Na...it's not the cells ..LOL!!!! You know what I'm talking about....Jails bring down the value of Real Estate in an area...when the value comes down...people then back away from investing in an area...the investment becomes too risky...that's why this jail is so stupid. Look they built Comerica Park..Ford Field and now District Detroit is going up. Dan Gilbert is willing to build the tallest building in Detroit....THESE ARE ALL GOOD THINGS. Someone made a comment about what's wrong with having a jail downtown....ARE YOU KIDDING ME !!!!! You see this is an example of why Detroit has had a long history of corruption in it's city...Detroit just didn't go down when the Market crashed in 2008 and the automobile industry almost went belly up. Look at the riots of the 1960's ...Detroit has been a prime example of urban decay and corruption. Remember when you had the Final Four at Ford Field..the nation saw pictures of Detroit when neighborhoods looked like WAR ZONES and the city stood on the verge of total collapse. Now the city is on the rebound...people want to invest and do I dare say that even people want to live in Downtown Detroit....and there are people that want to build a jail right near the heart of the city. I guess some people just can't get out of their own way. THIS IS NOT A RACIAL OR ETHNIC ISSUE OR EVEN A POLITICAL ISSUE...IT'S ONE OF ECONOMICS...for those that want a jail to sit right in the middle of your downtown...common...you probably are saying I don't want you to invest in my downtown...get out of my downtown and to that I say NO...you get out of my downtown...better yet the people's downtown...OUR DOWNTOWN...who are you fooling. HAVE SOME CIVIC PRIDE to those people that want a FREAKING JAIL. JOIN THE REST OF US who want a Detroit that everyone can be proud of and the nation can be proud of. Sorry for this statement and being a little insensitive....but the ghetto will always remain the ghetto if only you want it to be the ghetto.
Chicago has a federal prison downtown and that hasn't stopped development.

(I'm not promoting building this jail at the Gratiot site)
scolls no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 5th, 2017, 05:51 PM   #117
bobjgumby

Likes (Received): 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by scolls View Post
Chicago has a federal prison downtown and that hasn't stopped development.

(I'm not promoting building this jail at the Gratiot site)

Yeah, a rather shitty part of downtown surrounded by parking and pawn shops. Not a lot of new development in the immediate vicinity.
bobjgumby no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2017, 07:09 AM   #118
The Game Is Up

https://www.si.com/planet-futbol/201...roit-charlotte

Quote:
MLS hopefuls in Detroit are also waiting on a decision. The stadium plan put forward by NBA owners Dan Gilbert and Tom Gores is part of a $1.88 billion proposal. It hinges on constructing a new $420 million jail and justice center for the city in exchange for the piece of downtown property on which a half-finished jail currently sits. And it requires Wayne County’s approval.

In January, the Detroit Free Press reported that the county was targeting May for a ruling. Last month, the principal of Gilbert’s Rock Ventures, Matt Cullen, told The Detroit News that the group is responding to queries from the county.

“We owe them some updated information, kind of in the May-June time frame. And I would expect we’ll have a lot of clarity for them by that time,” Cullen said. “They’ll want to know, at that time, what control we have over the site [for the new jail].”

On Tuesday, Rock Ventures released a study conducted by the University of Michigan’s Center for Sport & Policy, that claims the proposed stadium and mixed-use development on the downtown site would generate a $2.39 billion economic impact and create 2,106 permanent jobs. In contrast, simply completing the half-finished jail would create only $352 million in economic impact, the study said. The construction phase on the two sites alone would result in an estimated $51.9 million in tax revenue for Michigan and the city of Detroit. The permanent jobs would add an additional $6.4 million, and property taxes eventually would reach $46.7 million annually.

Rock Ventures commissioned the study. The only public funds Gilbert and Gores are requesting are the $300 million that would have been spent anyway on completing the downtown jail.

EPA001 liked this post
The Game Is Up no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2017, 12:20 AM   #119
The Game Is Up

Detroit makes sense for MLS expansion, but does MLS make sense for Detroit?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/detroi...052523063.html

Chris Ilitch supports Detroit Major League Soccer bid for 2020

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/ml...bid/101252708/
Old May 5th, 2017, 04:00 AM   #120
krnboy1009

Likes (Received): 169

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Game Is Up View Post
Detroit makes sense for MLS expansion, but does MLS make sense for Detroit?

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/detroi...052523063.html

Chris Ilitch supports Detroit Major League Soccer bid for 2020

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/ml...bid/101252708/
They don't want prison near their stadiums.
krnboy1009 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
detroit, stadium