daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > World Forums > Stadiums and Sport Arenas > Proposed

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old August 14th, 2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Bel-wat?Belcyde
C's up

Likes (Received): 0

SYDNEY - ANZ Stadium / Stadium Australia (84,000 -> 75,000)

If you all remember the 2000 Olympics, than hopefully you'll remember this stadium
* This post is practically a praise post for my Favourite stadium, ever.
Before it's reconstruction in 2002 it could fit 110,000 Seating and another 5,000 Standing. Now its only a measle 82,500. Dam AFL sucks, it ruined it.
Now dont get me wrong, I love all stadiums whether small or tall.

It Holds several records-
Largest attendance for a Rugby Union match in the world- 115,000(Bledisloe Cup-Australia vs New Zealand)
Largest attendance for a Rugby league match in the world- 112,363(NRL Grand Final 1999)
( i think Largest Attendance for an Olympic event-115,000)

I dont know if it's true, but it also possibly holds the record for largest Attendance outside the USA for an NFL match.

Heres some pics:

Before the reconstruction (Olympics):

After Construction( NRL Grand Finals):

Bel-wat?Belcyde no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:55 PM   #2
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 484

I think this thread has been done a few times over.
Atleast post us new pics.
Giorgio no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 01:58 PM   #3
Bel-wat?Belcyde
C's up

Im only new to the forum, so i wouldnt reall know, im going to get some more.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:02 PM   #4
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bel-wat?Belcyde
If you all remember the 2000 Olympics, than hopefully you'll remember this stadium
* This post is practically a praise post for my Favourite stadium, ever.
Before it's reconstruction in 2002 it could fit 110,000 Seating and another 5,000 Standing. Now its only a measle 82,500. Dam AFL sucks, it ruined it.
Now dont get me wrong, I love all stadiums whether small or tall.

Yeah AFL does suck, it ruined the ends. Although I really dont like how the ends only have one tier anyway, I sat back row at the end for last years wallabies-boks test and the seats were worse than in the same spot at the Dome.
But as for taking the capacity down, it was the only sensible thing to do, Sydney has no need for a 115,000 seater, considering that NRL avg attendence is less than 20k, and the State of Origin match didnt even sell out 83k this year.

Quote:
It Holds several records-
( i think Largest Attendance for an Olympic event-115,000)
Nope. Not even the largest for an Australian Olympics. For the Melbourne 1956 games The MCG had crowds of just under 130,000. Now whether that was a world record or not I do not know, but it was certainly more than Sydney.
victory no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:03 PM   #5
Giorgio

Quote:
Im only new to the forum, so i wouldnt reall know, im going to get some more.
Thats fine mate.

@victory:
Sydney holds the record because it was 110k all seater.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:05 PM   #6
EADGBE
Resonation's what u need

Likes (Received): 53

If they were getting the crowds to fill it regularly, it does beg the question why it was felt necessary to implement the reductions planned to take place after the Olympics.

Sure, I can see it makes sense to have the plan to reduce it to avoid under-use - but not if it can be proved that the original 115k capacity could be sustained.

I can see they've done more than just remove the end tiers, though. The pitch area appears to be smaller, implying that 'digging down' has taken place. I'm sure there's an issue there of proximity of the front rows behind that - although that would have added seating capacity.

Ultimately, it could be an issue of spectator quantity v viewing quality. Being British, I'd also suspect planning regulations may have played a part, although I'm sure Aussie planning constraints would be nowehere near as obsessive as ours.

Unfortunately, I've never been. Has anyone else who has been there (in both guises) got a preference for the place, before or after reduction?
EADGBE no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:07 PM   #7
victory

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Gioяgos]
Thats fine mate.

@victory:
Sydney holds the record because it was 110k all seater.
I don't see how that makes a difference.

A person standing is just as much a spectator as a person sitting, and they are still paying attendees. Especially when the figures are 44 years apart so in '56 large masses of the standing were the norm.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #8
Bel-wat?Belcyde
C's up

Quote:
Sydney has no need for a 115,000 seater, considering that NRL avg attendence is less than 20k, and the State of Origin match didnt even sell out 83k this year.
Actually the stadium can only hold 82,500. The state of origin sold out, and not only that i coulndnt get a seat to it, so i had to watch it from home. They apparentely squeezed the other 1,000 people some how.

There's too much competition in Sydney, when Sydney Swans won the AFL final last year, AFL boosted up. Also soccer has gone big in Sydney.

2005 Grand final Just came short to selling out because it wasnt an all Sydney Grand final, but what it looks like this year, it wont sell out either as Melbourne will almost definetely make the grand final.

Rumors are going around that WWE's Wrestlemania 25 might be held at Telstra Stadium, it might be a load of bullshit, but who know's i think it's possible.

Anyway back to topic, i have some more pics.

Old August 14th, 2006, 02:13 PM   #9
Giorgio

Quote:
Originally Posted by victory
I don't see how that makes a difference.

A person standing is just as much a spectator as a person sitting, and they are still paying attendees. Especially when the figures are 44 years apart so in '56 large masses of the standing were the norm.
Mate, It wasnt opinion.
Thats the way they record it I guess...

I dont work for the IOC, so I guess I cant say much but logically thats what I thought.
Old August 14th, 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
Bel-wat?Belcyde
C's up

Afl ruined the stadium is my point, i think all they needed to do was keep the large ends, but still bring them in for the smaller rugby league fields, instead of those crappy Afl ones.

EDIT: ive been to the stadium over 30 times, before the reconstruction and after, i had no real problem with the viewing quality, i was at the Olympics sitting on the top Tier in the middle, it was an almost perfect seat. Ive been to Rugby league Grand finals sitting in General admission and the seats were good.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:11 PM   #11
Durbsboi
East Coast Massiv

Likes (Received): 143

Quote:

How come the one end of the stadium has 2 tiers & the other have just the one?

Bucket Facebook Page
Durbsboi no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:26 PM   #12
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #13
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Likes (Received): 331

This stadium just drools with quality.

Leedsrule liked this post
MILIUX no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:31 PM   #14
victory

Quote:
Actually the stadium can only hold 82,500. The state of origin sold out, and not only that i coulndnt get a seat to it, so i had to watch it from home. They apparentely squeezed the other 1,000 people some how.
Nope, they only got 72,773 to an 83,000 seater. And that was for the only origin game in Sydney this year. And they only had 1 SOO game last year, and will only have 1 next year.

http://www.austadiums.com/sport/event.php?eventid=4828
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:38 PM   #15
BaronVonChickenpants

Likes (Received): 1

not my favourite staduim...a compromised effort where all sports try to be catered for.At pitch level,you need binoculars to see the other side of the ground.No matter what the sport,it seems the action is too far away to really enjoy.The ends are a kop out,the one end witht the second tier an afterthought.Think Sydney was desperate to try and match the MCG,but failed
BaronVonChickenpants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:39 PM   #16
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by EADGBE
If they were getting the crowds to fill it regularly, it does beg the question why it was felt necessary to implement the reductions planned to take place after the Olympics.

Sure, I can see it makes sense to have the plan to reduce it to avoid under-use - but not if it can be proved that the original 115k capacity could be sustained.

I can see they've done more than just remove the end tiers, though. The pitch area appears to be smaller, implying that 'digging down' has taken place. I'm sure there's an issue there of proximity of the front rows behind that - although that would have added seating capacity.

Ultimately, it could be an issue of spectator quantity v viewing quality. Being British, I'd also suspect planning regulations may have played a part, although I'm sure Aussie planning constraints would be nowehere near as obsessive as ours.

Unfortunately, I've never been. Has anyone else who has been there (in both guises) got a preference for the place, before or after reduction?
1. Make the grounds bigger to allow cricket/AFL games to be played.
2. Quickly convert cricket field into rugby field in a few hours. Retractable section.
3. To cover up 90% of the seats from rain.
4. Allow greater atmosphere by insulating sound.
5. Reconfigure the front seats to make it closer to action.
6. Reduce wind interferance in games.
7. Collecting more water for recycling purposes. Toilets, irrigation, etc.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:42 PM   #17
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonChickenpants
Think Sydney was desperate to try and match the MCG,but failed
It is not about matching MCG. Sydney's SCG does just fine. Telstra Stadium has a location proximity advantage compared to SCG. It is smack bang in the middle of Sydney metro and with its own train station. For SCG you gotta drive or catch a bus along Anzac Parade. It also holds concerts. I remember that this was used for FM101.7 Rock festival twice drawing like 60,000 people.

It interconnects with other facilities in Sydney Olympic Park. Presenters can stay at Novetel and quickly be whisked to the stadium. Also, it can be linked with other venues for multi-purpose events. Flexibility.

The action is not as far as you may think from end seats.
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:53 PM   #18
BaronVonChickenpants

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MILIUX
It is not about matching MCG. Sydney's SCG does just fine. Telstra Stadium has a location proximity advantage compared to SCG. It is smack bang in the middle of Sydney metro and with its own train station. For SCG you gotta drive or catch a bus along Anzac Parade. It also holds concerts. I remember that this was used for FM101.7 Rock festival twice drawing like 60,000 people.

It interconnects with other facilities in Sydney Olympic Park. Presenters can stay at Novetel and quickly be whisked to the stadium. Also, it can be linked with other venues for multi-purpose events. Flexibility.

The action is not as far as you may think from end seats.

The SCG is easy to get to,and nearer to the centre of town than Telstra.it may have its own train station,but you can't get to it directly.You have to go to another station,get off,walk to another platform and wait for a little shuttle train to slowy wind its way to the Staduim.
BaronVonChickenpants no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2006, 03:59 PM   #19
MILIUX
skyscraper connoisseur

Majority of the population live in Western Sydney. They don't live in Eastern suburbs or city.

There is a express/sprint train from Central to Olympic Park station on big games. Those trains come every 10min and depart from Sydney Terminal. It's like a rush hour. You can also catch trains from Lidcombe if you're from Western Sydney.
Old August 14th, 2006, 04:00 PM   #20
ExSydney
Melbourne-Sydneysider

Likes (Received): 78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonChickenpants
The SCG is easy to get to,and nearer to the centre of town than Telstra.it may have its own train station,but you can't get to it directly.You have to go to another station,get off,walk to another platform and wait for a little shuttle train to slowy wind its way to the Staduim.
Actually trains are direct to Sydney Olympic Park when large events are on.The Lidcombe shuttle train operates only when small or no events are on at SOP.
ExSydney no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
sydney