SkyscraperCity Forum banner

CANADA – 2015 FIFA Women’s World Cup (06.06 ~ 07.05)

30K views 100 replies 33 participants last post by  Welkin 
#1 · (Edited)

The 2015 FIFA Women's World Cup will be the seventh FIFA Women's World Cup, the quadrennial international women's football world championship tournament.

In March 2011, Canada won the right to host the event, the first time the country will host the tournament and the third time it has been in North America.

if you want to see FIFA Women's World Cup Stadiums pictures , Please visit below.

FIFA Women's World Cup Stadiums in Canada

FIFA Women's World Cup Stadiums from 1991 to 2015

See less See more
#44 ·
Even so the concept of afternoon weekday games can't be considered deal killers, for event logistics or for fans. Regardless, the difference of a few thousand people at these games, especially since they're mostly double headers, is hardly going to make or break the event. TV money and sponsorship remains the biggest driver, here. It also doesn't help that many nations, even some participating, are still lagging in their support of the women's game. As that grows then the nature of the event will not only be more appealing to locals but will garner more traveling support.

#45 · (Edited)
95% of tickets have been sold to Canadians and Americans so fans from other countries have largely been a no show. They've sold 1 million+ tickets which is still a record for a Women's WC. That said, Montreal attendance has been bad. They scheduled 9 games there but a city of 4 million should be able to get 40,000+ for every one of them.

I'm also bothered that the bowl has been reduced to a horseshoe. Olympic Stadium would look a lot better if they re-built it to its original configuration. That said, it's not like they need the extra seats. Montreal rarely fills the Big O.

I've also been put off by Toronto's almost complete indifference. Torontonians, it seems, will come out in droves to support Brazil, Portugal, Greece, Italy, England, Germany, Colombia, etc. Canada? Now that's a hard sell. I know it's women rather than men but it's still a shock. The woman at the Adidas store said Colombia shirts were selling like hot cakes. No one wants a Canada jersey. It's reminiscent of a World Basketball Championship match where Canada played Greece in Toronto and the Canadian team practically got booed on home soil.

I almost forgot. Canada vs Netherlands in 4 hours? GO CANADA GO!

#48 ·
They've sold 1 million+ tickets which is still a record for a Women's WC.
No, they haven't sold a million tickets. With most games bundled in double-headers the real number of sold tickets is somewhere between 500'000 and 600'000 rather. And that is still lagging behind the numbers of the 2011 World Cup despite the increased number of matches.

Why should they? Unless its the mens World Cup, which sells itself, the womens one needs to tailor its schedule around local considerations, not global ones. TV rigts for women are a drop in the ocean.
You can tailor the schedule around local demands when the World Cup finals is held in a proper country. But certainly not somewhere in the woods at the rear end of the world with no local interest in the game.

I was looking forward to these World Cup finals for four year. But now that the tournament is on, it is just one huge disappointment so far. Kick-offs in the middle of the night, teams are tired due to the travelling and the abysmal pitches. Consequently the football itself is dreadful. Unlike 4 years ago there is no excitement felt, neither in the grounds nor at home. This World Cup is setting womens football at least 8 years back when it actually should do exactly the opposite. I can't wait for France 2019.

G
#54 ·
The French are some of the most disinterested sports fans in the world. I look forward to seeing to the attendance for Nigeria vs New Zealand in France...

The reason why Germany was a success was because, along with England, theyre the most committed soccer fans in the world. And they only had 16 teams too.

But I agree about the womens world cup. They should keep it to 2-3 regular hosts to build on its prestige.

Actually, I think they should think outside the box. They should have a pan European WC, and a US/Canada WC. Give major Euro cities 1-2 games tops, and spread it around. I think itd work really well.

#56 ·
You must've missed the 2012 Olympic tournament then lwa?

A total of 666,151 watched 71 goals scored across the 26 matches played at six different stadiums. That is an average of 25,621 per match. Thursday's final at Wembley was played in front of a crowd of 80,203

I think if England got the World Cup it would be an EVENT much like that was and tickets would sell.

#57 ·
England would definitely make a great host nowadays, given the surge in interest since the Olympics and the extraordinary coverage they give to the WWC.

I would agree France is a lesser country for sports attendances compared to England or Germany, however it is a great country to host tournaments in. It lies at the heart of Western Europe, it is extremely well connected to the outside and the cities themselves are well connected between them. As it is a top tourist destination, visiting is very practical and so on. The Women's Rugby World Cup held in France this year received glowing reviews in the global rugby coverage that I follow (mainly English and Irish).

#58 ·
Well, with the group stages complete I'll offer my opening salvo of applause for the host communities.

BC Place and IGF were obviously well suited to the task and looked excellent on TV, and I'm told the players have really enjoyed matches there. The gaps at the ends of IGF weren't that bad, either. I thought both Lansdowne and Moncton Stadiums showed very well on TV and am thrilled the weather seemed so fair for most of their matches. The Moncton venue pulled off a level of good intimacy that I didn't expect considering the open corners.

Edmonton works and the recent makeover certainly helped. The one end with the adjoining building (offices, locker rooms) played better than the actual closed end, I feel. It was a shame to see not only the cavernous space but the gaps from the track but nothing to complain about all things considered.

As for Stade Olympique, that lower bowl has got to go. A grand form overall in a lovely setting, but as an interior spectacle for soccer or football that's an abysmal arrangement.

#60 · (Edited)
I'm a bit surprised by some of the negativity. The only valid complaint of significance has been Montreal attendance and Olympic Stadium. Crowds have been good for almost every game including ones not featuring Canada or the US.

Television rating are sky high in both the US and Canada and the tournament has gone on without a hiccup. The play could be more exciting but that's nothing Canada has control over. Going from 16-24 teams is a big jump and it was quite predictable that a few teams would be substantially over matched.

That said, not only has non-traditional soccer nation Canada met the challenge of a 50% increase in the size of the tournament but it's done so minus it's largest market: the Golden Horseshoe. This region is home to 9.5 million people (a quarter of the national population) and the biggest city in the country: Toronto. It's akin to the UK or France staging a WC without London or Paris respectively.

#62 ·
I have been enjoying the tournament. Considering the timing of matches the attendances have been good. Montreal excepted. Real shame they haven't included Toronto. Double headers are a good idea. Especially as the expanded tournament means there are some lower quality fixtures and mismatches.

The average attendance should include everyone at every match whilst the total attendance should only count people at double headers once each.

Attending sport is a fringe part of French culture compared with England, Germany, Spain, Portugal, etc. The USA is harder to make direct comparison with due to the different sporting culture but they are also much more likely to attend sport than the French. Compare sporting attendances in Paris with those in London. Or Marseille and Lyon with Manchester and Liverpool. No contest. I don't know why but it can only be cultural. However, France is right in the middle of Western Europe bordering Spain, Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Belgium, England and some micro states. It is a good place to hold tournaments and will get good attendances.

#64 ·
Attending sport is a fringe part of French culture compared with England, Germany, Spain, Portugal, etc.
I would agree to an extent but I'm not sure how you came up with the idea that Spain and Portugal have better sport attending cultures than France. Portugal is really out of the question, pro sports there struggle to survive. Regarding Spain, you're probably comparing the attendances in top flight football, but it's nothing abnormal for Spain to have the better numbers as long as they have a much, much better product on the field, with the most successful and most entertaining to watch teams in the world currently.
(As a side note, of course you're going to get better attendances in Manchester and Liverpool than in Lyon and Marseille, if you compare the club pedigree and stars on the pitch for the teams of these four respective cities then you'll have your explanation, and French attendances don't look poor anymore.) However if you factor in the other pro sports that thrive in France (rugby, handball men & women, basketball men, women's football etc.) I'm sure France edges over any other Southern European country in terms of sports culture, even if not necessarily in football culture. :)

#65 ·
It does make you wonder what could've been had Toronto been in the loop and Montreal done even slightly better. Still, doing this under these circumstances is a nice feat, even after a counting for the larger event. Moncton and Edmonton aren't exactly global tourist draws.

#67 ·
It isn't very fair to watch at attendances per capita, because there arent less teams playing in the leagues aswell. Portugal is known for its empty stadiums. according to european-football-statistics.co.uk the average attendance in the highest football league in Portugal is no more than 10.000 with only 4 teams above this average. These 4 teams have half empty stadiums most of the time.

The attendances in Ligue 1 are twice as high. Still not much and comparable with average attendances in the Netherlands for instance. But ofcourse in France there are more big sports like Rugby.

#72 ·
An opinion is one thing. Insulting a host country (whom by the way was the only one who stood up to host the tournament) for not being "soccer" enough is another thing. If it was not for Canada, FIFA would have had to skip this year's tournament since no other country in the world wanted to host (which I really don't understand because it has been a lot of fun). This person was just another euro-centric snob who feels the rest of the world is not up to their level of soccer appreciation. Again, I don't mind someone offering their opinion, but what I don't like is someone who is thirsty, complaining that the water I bring him is not in the proper glass.

G
#74 ·
I like how you keep comparing France to much smaller (and poorer) nations.

Since Europe is not a single nation, each country should be looked at on its own merits. Your comparison with French rugby and Portuguese soccer is ludicrous, so much so that it ruins any other argument youre trying to make.

#78 ·
^so, still no arguments eh? What's alarming is your reading ability, had you bothered to pay actual attention to the conversation you'd have easily noticed that the framework of this discussion has been set as a comparison between France and other countries by our fellow forumer and it's been me who chimed in going against these comparison, and dismissing the comparison with Portugal entirely. All the times I put the facts face to face it is exactly to show how of little use this comparison is - comparing France with Spain (and Italy, too) is much more fertile a ground to cover.

#79 ·
We have gone seriously off topic here. So I will quickly say I am very much looking forward to seeing England take on Canada in front of 54,000 or so.

Back to the debate on France I will develop my argument a little more. In England, the whole UK in fact, there are very few towns that don't have a football club that get decent attendances for their size. Those that don't are either dormitories for nearby cities or have rugby clubs. Attendances and, importantly, the tradition and culture of attending have developed over more than 100 years. This just isn't the case in France. There are lots of towns with very low sporting crowds. France does have le tour. Cycling is their big contribution to sporting culture.

Portugal is a small country. Look at the history of Benfica and Sporting. Look at the estadio do luz and its predecessor. Go to Portugal and you feel real passion for football. They love it. A disjointed league is a problem. More people watch football in Lisbon than Paris and the former is tiny in comparison.

#80 ·
^there's definitely loads of passion for football in Portugal, sure. Same for Italy, when I went there everybody around was talking about football - even the armed guards at the Vatican's Pinacoteca.

How that translates into a sports attendance culture (which was our starting point) is however a different and more problematic issue. Notice I said *sports attendance culture* like you initially put it, so not just men's football but all sports, and not just loving these sports but also attending. There are loads of factors (between which attendance culture, while still a factor, is not a prominent one IMO) for which in men's football France doesn't stand out more like it could (lack of a string of large inner cities to support more major clubs, lack of institutional and economical development at club level to the extent that many clubs/cities that should be major are nowhere to be seen, lack of stadium infrastructure until recently etc), however where France loses a bit in what men's football is concerned to countries like the Netherlands (I'm really not having Portugal but I think I'm giving you there a better example), they are also gaining a lot in what other sports are concerned.

For example, even if I come from a country where the *passion for football* is much stronger than in France (when the national team plays in a tournament and they get a good result, we make up spontaneous marches throughout most of the country's cities), I can still admit that in sports attendance culture we are nowhere near France. I had recently stumbled upon a stream of a third division (i.e. amateur) promotion play-off match in French rugby, and looking over the size of the crowd and the wonderful sense of occasion (you can sense it a bit in this video), I can easily say that it would be hard for me to find many examples like that in my country's *top flight football*, never mind the "basement" level of a secondary sport. There are 40 teams (split in conferences) in this level ("Federale 1"), there must be quite a few more such nice clubs like that of Nevers, which is only a town of 35k people. And above this level there's professional rugby with it's 30 clubs from towns and small to medium-sized provincial cities (save for the two Parisian clubs) who, like I said, on their own make an attendance figure that would put them comfortably somewhere in Europe's top ten *football* attendances.
Another good example is basketball, here's a snap of what winning the title means for Limoges, a small city of 136k people. How about second division though, here's a couple of videos: first shows the away support of Saint-Quentin, the second shows the away support of Le Portel. Saint-Quentin is a 56k people town and Le Portel is 10k, if they get that *away* and in *second* division basketball, they REALLY do love basketball there.
Such videos give, IMO, a much better of French sports culture overall, and I can't blame anyone for not knowing much about it beyond top flight men's football, as these things will, of course, never get broadcasted and covered internationally.

Had you asked me to define French sports attendance culture (you didn't but here goes), I'd say that it lends itself to attendances that range from relatively mediocre (Ligue 1) to excellent (rugby) in terms of domestic competitions, that the fans have a special appreciation for anything that elevates itself from that day-to-day level to special event level: tournament sport, play-offs and finals, international club games, yearly events, glamour one-offs, etc. Which is what makes France a good host for tournaments, and that's where we started at initially. Sorry indeed for the offtopic!

G
#83 ·
I dont think theres any doubt theyd host a good mens WC. Their problem will always be that their neighbours are the US and Mexico. With the US expected to bid for 2026, Canada wont get a chance for another 20 years at least.

#101 ·
Thanks for the kudos, but I hope we never host the Men's World Cup. The Women's was fun and we did it on the cheap. I mean we didn't even spring for grass pitches. How little did we actually spend anyway? Hopefully we will never waste the billion$ it takes to host the Men's WC. Let the USA and all their massive stadiums host that event. We are just fine hosting this event.

#97 ·
It doesn't sell out for the Lions either. Regarding nice stadia, another top notch one will come on stream soon. The Saskatchewan Roughriders new football stadia will be ready in 2017. It will hold 33,500 expandable to 40,000.

#89 ·
So it's a world cup final rematch. Tough way for England to lose.

51,176 for the semi in Montreal and 31,467 for the other semi in Edmonton. Better numbers than I expected with France and Canada being knocked out in the quarters. American fans travelled well.

#90 ·
Absolutely gutted for England to lose in that fashion. Can't fathom how poor Miss Bassett (sp?) feels.

I suspect the US will still share a strong edge in the audience favors during this final match, but apart from Canada or possibly playing against France in Montreal the next toughest setting the US could ask for would be Japan in Vancouver. Not only will the city's strong Asian culture likely produce solid support for Team Nippon but the Japanese ladies are coming in with full vim and vigor. They may have been second best today but they're not poor and they're one win away from repeating as World Champs, so they'll be a tough knockout to be sure.

Nice to see Edmonton can pull 31k for England and Japan on a Wednesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.