SkyscraperCity Forum banner

High School/Youth Basketball Arenas & Gyms

21K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Welkin 
#1 ·
Southwest Missouri has been having a high school gym building boom the last decade so I figured I would start a thread to show off the new Gyms. A lot of the small towns in the region treats HS basketball the way Texas treats HS football.

#2 ·
Joplin High School, MO (opened 2014) (old school was destroyed in the 2011 Joplin Tornado, google it if you haven't seen the pictures)

Mountain Grove High School, MO (opened 2014, $5.7 Million)(town population: 4,789)

Webb City High School, MO (opened 2014, $10 million) (town population: 10,989)

Springfield Catholic High School, MO (opened 2014) (enrollment ~350)

#3 ·
Other Southwest Missouri High School Gyms opened since 2000.

Logan-Rogersville High School, Mo (town population: 3,073)

Waynesville HS, MO (town population: 5,316)

Willard HS, MO (town population: 5,469)

Republic HS, MO (town population: 15,590)

Ozark HS, MO (town population: 18,606)

Nixa HS, MO (town population: 20,195)

Marshfield HS, MO (town population: 6,791)

Carthage HS, MO (town population: 14,232)

Branson HS, MO (town population: 11,064)

#5 ·
For the state that is truely HS basketball crazy, the top 7 Indiana High School Gyms according to this Article

Hatchet House (1967) capacity: 7,090

New Castle Fieldhouse, capacity 9,300

Southport Fieldhouse (1957), capacity 7,124

"The Mill", Noblesville. Capacity 4,200

Tech Gymnasium (1929)

Muncie Fieldhouse (1928) Capacity 7,635.

Tipton HS Gymnasium. Capacity 3,000

#9 ·
I didn't know that high school basketball generated that kind of interest, I was aware that HS football does, how can the schools finance those kind of facilities? Do they have boosters and TV deals, like they do in college? Some of those arenas would put most of Europe's top tier leagues teams to shame.

#10 ·
They are mostly paid for with property taxes for most/public schools.

Private schools rely on donations, the Springfield Catholic gym I posted earlier for example was mostly paid for by a donation from the family that owns an auto parts store chain which is why it it's named after them (O'Reilly's)

#11 ·
Fort Worth ISD

Wilkerson Greines Athletic Center (brief home for TCU basketball) - Ft. Worth

Dallas ISD

Alfred J. Loos Fieldhouse - Addison

Davis Fieldhouse - Dallas

Mansfield ISD

Legacy High Arena - Mansfield

Midlothian ISD

Midlothian High Arena - Midlothian

Azle ISD

Competition Gymnasium/ Career & Technology Center (proposed) - Azle

Glen Rose ISD

Tiger Arena - Glen Rose

Prosper ISD

Prosper Arena - Prosper

#12 ·
JJG beat me to some of them. Pics are harder to find than football, but there are plenty of damn nice ones. Basketball is growing in popularity quickly as the state grows.

Lancaster, Tx

Sandra Meadows Memorial Arena, Duncanville, TX

Hard to see, but Allen, like their football has one of the damn best gyms out there

#14 ·
for all those arenas in Texas, are they usually for a single high school or do multiple high schools share those arenas?

All the Missouri ones I posted are just for 1 school. The Springfield, MO school district has 5 public high schools, each have their own gym, but they haven't bothered expanding any of their capacities since they rent college gyms for their bigger games.

For example this is a Springfield Kickapoo vs Springfield Glendale game back in 2002 (6,458 attendence) when they used to play their big games at Missouri State's old arena.

In recent years they haven't been drawing as big of crowds for regular season games so they moved them to Drury University's arena(ncaa D2), same two schools playing earlier this year:

Springfield Hillcrest has the biggest gym in the district:

The Springfield, MO district also hosts the "tournament of champions" HS basketball tournament every January at Missouri State's JQH arena. It is the highest attended HS tournament in the country. The highest attended game at this year's tournament was 10,604.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.