SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Favorite Small Stadium (- 20,000)

Tags
stipson
676K views 465 replies 259 participants last post by  Archbishop 
#1 ·
it's all well and good having massive new stadia being built,but what about the small ones??? i'm talking anout stadiums with a capacity under 20,000

i found this one a couple of days ago, it's in poland, the Korona Kielce Stadion has a capacity of 15,500 and only cost £9-10 million (48million polish money)

it puts alot of new stadiums to shame imho..

See less See more
#31 ·
I realy think there are a lot of nice dutch stadiums, but why are there so many with stands that doesn't reach the pitch. It looks ugly and it's impossible to be close to the action. Why don't finish the stands. The stadiums would be much more sociable and beautiful.

For example:

@ Quintana I realy tried but it's hard to find a stadium as ugly as that.

#38 ·
The new football stadium that was going to be built in Melbourne was cool. (Except for the light towers) But i don't think that stadium will see the light od day, seeing as though they are now looking to make it 30,000+ capacity. Can't wait to see the new design though!

#40 ·
Patroeski, I found Belgium has alot stadiums worst than FC Eindhoven
check this one from Dessel Sport., nr 8 in 2nd league
http://www.kfcdesselsport.be/SimpleViewer_v17/galerij.html

More Belgium ones

Westerlo

Lierse

Waregem

FC Brussels

KV Mechelen

Eupen (5th place 2nd league)

Hamme

Heverlee-Leuven

Tienen

Lommel

Waasland

Deinze

#41 ·
Quite a few people note the title - the best small football stadiums. So, please, do not post all of them in a post, but try to stick to the best ones only.

To me, smaller grounds have much more atmosphere. They are not so commercial as the new giants, which look like malls where, occasionally, there could be some football played.

I personally like the Dutch ones - neat and having character. The new ground lack character, they're so similar.

Here are mine less known favourites:

Saturn, Russia - 18500

Salzburg, Austria - 18682

Talinn - 8700

Szusza Ferenc Stadion, Budapest - 13501

Stadion Miejski, Kielce - 14600

#43 ·
A nice football stadium in my region (Rostock / Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania in East-Germany); 20'000 seats :)

Next to it: The old stadium

So, I think that were enough pics, weren't they? :lol:

#52 ·
A nice football stadium in my region (Rostock / Mecklenburg-Western Pommerania in East-Germany); 20'000 seats :)

So, I think that were enough pics, weren't they? :lol:
Did they re-use the lighting setup? They look eerily similar.'

Also, for the love of god, stop posting all those crap Dutch and Belgian 2nd league stadiums. They're shit.

#48 ·
Estadio Sanchez Menor
UD Puertollano (Spain)
6.500 aprox.

At May 2007, starts de construction of "Nuevo Cerrú" Stadium, with 10.000 seats. The next month, it's show the renders of new stadium. UD Puertollano plays in spanish 2ª Division "B", group I, and actually is 2nd classified.

#54 ·
Well I'm maybe a bit biased seeing as this is my club, but it fits the criteria (just)...

The Den, London - Capacity 20,000
Home of Millwall F.C. (currently sitting 19th in England's third tier :eek:hno: ):

Also some of the smaller MLS stadiums in the states are looking quite smart, such as Toyota Park (20,000) in Chicago:

Bit if I'm honest, Monaco's Stade Louis II is probably still the best sub-20,000 stadium that I know of, even with the athletics track:

#56 ·
Well I'm maybe a bit biased seeing as this is my club, but it fits the criteria (just)...

The Den, London - Capacity 20,000
Home of Millwall F.C. (currently sitting 19th in England's third tier :eek:hno: ):

I remember Danny Baker complaining once that the New Den had started to fall apart after 3 or 4 years because the builders had used cheap materials... Is that true?

Nice little ground. Back in the heady days of Championship Manager (version 2 I think), I had a lovely picture of the ground that I had amended to fill in the corners. Looked very nice. At that point I had a bit of a soft spot for Millwall (took them to 2nd in the Premiership too). I've grown out of it now though, and hate them like the rest of the world. I think Denis Wise had something to do with it, and Mark McGhee.

#64 ·
^^ ^^ ^^

Seems to make sense that rugby and football share a ground in Northern Ireland seeing as they both seem to need it as much as each other - great opportunity.:cheers:

Hadn't considered the segregation issue in NI in relation to stadium design - shame that it has to be like that, but I suppose it's only similar to what most teams face in league football around the world, just worse. To use The Den as an example since it's been discussed here; one of the main reasons it was made four seperate stands rather than a single bowl was due to the fact that Millwall has that well-publicised hooligan element that don't seem to take too well to sitting or even walking alongside their opposite numbers...

#65 ·
It certainly makes more sense than the Maze development; the one big beef is that the city council are proposing a dog track around the pitch - but there are rumours of retractable stands at each end (the main reason for 4 seperate stands on the bottom tiers) to compensate for this. For all three sports proposed to be played at the Maze, the City of Belfast is a better option - it allowed the GAA to expand the facilities and increase profits from Casement Park and it would enable Ulster Rugby and Northern Ireland to play in front of larger crowds, as per demand, when expansion of their own homes is difficult or impossible.

#66 ·
somebody bung a picture of Tynecastle in edinburgh up. its a great wee stadium. three sides are very nice and modern although the old main stand needs attention to say the least, although it was designed by Archibald Leitch who built among others, Highbury, Villa Park, Ibrox and Goodison.

#67 ·
Och aye, ahl dee it for yee ya lazy wee bairn...

Great wee (18008 capacity) stadium...

Very nice and modern...

In need of attention...

Leitch did a lovely job on the main stand at Roker Park too - they kept some of the lattice work and still have it in the car park at the Stadium of Light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.