Votes: 8 13.3%

RIO DE JANEIRO - 2016 Summer Olympic Games | Games of the XXXI Olympiad

2M views 5K replies 651 participants last post by  Cratus 
#1 · (Edited)
See less See more
2 3
#112 ·
[/QUOTE]

^I think this was the most convincing argument for Rio's win... Also the passion of their presentation was a huge plus... Way to go Rio de Janeiro!

#118 ·
Not unfair at all no. They spent millions getting two bids in. They put the effort in and they get the reward. Good for them.

I've said all along, that from a personal persepctive I wish Rio could have hosted in 2024 or 2028 instead, because I do believe a Brazilian world cup so shortly before will take some of the gloss off their Olympics. But that's just my own personal feeling. And I supported Chicago, so that gave me another reason for hoping Rio wouldn't get it.

But now we have Rio 2016 there's no point in worrying about those things. They'll put on a great show and they deserve both events, for sure. Well done to them for putting themselves out there.

#129 ·
^^What's the new minimum requirement, 12000? Rio doesn't need two large aquatics centres and I'm not expanding the capacity of the Maria Lenk Swimming arena and putting a permanent roof over it. They need to at least reduce the capacity of the new swimming venue to at least 3000. IOC shouldn't have made that decision.

#132 ·
Congrats Rio on getting the Olympics.

Now the next qquestion, which the IOC did not ask enough- Are you capable of hosting the Olympics?

From a time magazine article "Rio's Olympics Quest: Can it handle the 2016 games?"

"Rio hosted the Pan American Games in 2007, an event that should have transformed the still sometimes provincial resort into a more modern, more international and safer city. The problem is, it didn't quite do that"
Now for details
"they promised to transform the city with a new ring road system, something called a "via light" railway (presumably a light railway), a new state highway and 54 km of new metro lines. But none of the roads, nary a kilometer of metro line, were built. Authorities also promised to clean up the Guanabara Bay, the fetid body of water whose smell assails visitors driving into town from the international airport. Although hundreds of millions of dollars have been spent, the stench persists and the bay remains a stinking eyesore."
The 2014 FIFA world cup doesn't look much better
"More worrying still is that lessons appear not to have been learned. Almost two years after Brazil was awarded the right to host the 2014 soccer World Cup, work has yet to start on its 12 stadiums. A proposed bullet train linking São Paulo and Rio is supposed to be operational in time for the tournament, but the official tender has not been issued yet, and even politicians are now admitting it could be late."
The underdelivering hasn't stopped the events going overbudget
"The Pan Ams reportedly ended up costing many times the original estimate of $177 million, a phenomenal amount given that none of the money went to the promised infrastructure projects. (Some reports had the final costs in Rio close to $2 billion; "
And some more problems
"Some commentators said that was indicative of corruption, but it also suggests serious deficiencies in organization and planning. "Brazil is still learning how to do continuous public policy," Alencar said. "Public works are emergency, localized, specific. There is no strategic planning involved. That was what happened with the Pan Ams.""

I would like to see Brazil have the Olympics. But it needs to prove it is capable of hosting them.

If I were an IOC member, I would ask the Rio delegation to explain the broken promises in the Pan-Am games, why none of the 2014 stadiums have started construction yet, the lack of tenders and progress for the bullet train (which is still at the drawing board, despite it meant to be built in 5 years). While the bullet trains or each metro extension is not vital to the games, it does not give much confidence the stadiums and more serious stuff will be built in time.

Lastly from the article:
"It isn't right that the Olympics be held in the U.S. for the eighth time," Brazilian President Luiz Inácio Lula da Silva said recently, in what was just one in a series of typical appeals to IOC delegates. "It's not possible that it be in England in 2012 and in another European country in 2016 ... It's not fair that Brazil, one of the 10 biggest economies in the world for 30 years; that Brazil, one of the world's industrialized countries, a nation that has demonstrated its love for sports; it's not fair that Brazil not be chosen."
It is not fair that Brazil get the host the Olympics when it is not ready for it.

I really like the idea of Brazil having the Olympics. I am sorry I have to say this, but I worry that what should be a moment of national pride could become a moment of national embarrasment.

#133 ·
Two aquatic centers isn't something new, it's common to use another center for waterpolo, like China did. The Maria Lenk will have also diving and syncronized swimming, and the new center only for swimming.

I just didn't like to have the 2 aquatic centers one next to the other, the new one should be built on somewhere else, such as in Deodoro complex. There is also the Julio Delamare next to Maracanã but it will be demolished for the stadium fill Fifa's requirements for WC2014.

#136 ·
^^

Well, Rio failed in some of the workings for the Pan, but made a good hosting in the overall, that's what opened the path for the Olympics. The infrastructure plans were in fact desapointing, that's why some people are skeptical about the Olympics.

But, this time, failing is not an option. The requirements for the Olympics are much bigger than for the Pan. And the country has adquired more experience, that's why we made a competitive bid for 2016.

That's the moment we need to work really hard now, the future of the city depends on us realizing good Olympic Games. And I'm personally optimistic about this, since we are all mobilized now and, like I said, more experienced.

Well, starting the constructions in this country is a big problem since bureaucracy is very annoying, and well, we are people with a bad habit of postponing things. The stadiums for 2014 are supposed to be started next year, if things go alright should be done then. The bullet train wasn't supposed for 2014 only, but to reduct the number of Rio-São Paulo flights, it's very delayed but contracts have already been signed. Probably will take time, but I don't see it not being constructed. For the metro I'm skeptical, talks have been made for long time but is's expensive and takes long work. It wasn't included in the 2016 plan since there's no warrancy it will be constructed, but the intention is to build it. Even though, the plans for 2016 see big investment for transport, on expanding roads and bus lines.

#139 ·
i have to say, after watching all 4 presentations in their entirety Rio knocked the others out of the water!! you can clearly see how the influence from the massively competetive 2012 election was there and how Rio2016 capitalised on their economic growth stats and emotional desire to host the Olympics. I truly believe that the simple use of a map and some white letters towards the start of their presentation sealed the deal for Rio, How can any IOC member, knowing that 4 cities could all host a great games, not be swayed by a map with clusters of previous host cities and one big empty green space, ie South America. Simple yet a work of genius, bold, forthright and brave. Also the image of the olympic rings on the beach from the sky. already Iconic in my eyes!! Well done Rio!

#144 ·
Rocinha is the largest slum in Rio, so are there any plans to gentrify Rocinha? Many of the slums look well constructed, you build a concrete frame and then you add a low budget facade to it. The home needs electricity and plumbing systems. When the Olympics come to a certain city, it shouldn't be infested with slums and shantytowns, so they need to be either torn down or cleaned up. And now I'm choosing to clean up and improve the structures in those favelas. And it willbe done by a natural selection process. It would involve tearing down structures which ar difficult to stailise and renovating and upgrading the stabe structures.

#147 ·
Rocinha´s houses has already electricity and most of them is already connected to plumbing systems. But the most important thing is that Rocinha, and also some other slums in Brazil are under depevelopment process called PAC that will transform it all the ways.

other places that were considered slums are already neighbourhoods after PAC

#151 ·
They are already cleaning up the favelas? All right, then we can get to the issue about the Rio Metro and its expansion with their two existing lines and four proposed lines. I hope the Metro will connect all four of the Olympic venue clusters.

#153 · (Edited)
There is a 225 km rail system administrated by SuperVia, but today "Metrô" and "Trem" are officially differed. The first one has just 37 km and it's what you call "subway". SuperVia is investing on a new signaling system in order to make 3-minute intervals between compositions, which is the subway standard.

Subway (37km – Metrô Rio) - There are stations at MARACANÃ, SAMBÓDROMO ("Central" and "Praça XI"), PARQUE DO FLAMENGO, MARINA DA GLÓRIA ("Cinelândia", "Glória" and "Catete") and COPACABANA ("C. Arcoverde", "S. Campos" and "Cantagalo"). The official olympic project conceives an extension to "Gávea" near LAGOA, but it seems that Line 4 will be built to the BARRA district until 2016.

Rail, "Trem" (225 km - SuperVia) The are stations at MARACANÃ, SAMBÓDROMO ("Central do Brasil"), João Havelange Stadium ("Engenho de Dentro") and DEODORO. There is an expansion project to Rio International Airport.

BRT - In project. It would provide connections from Barra to Deodoro, Gávea and Engenho de Dentro. It can be replaced by a monorail project.

Here is a chart from Panamerican Games 2007 (without the new Metrô Rio stations: Cantagalo/ Copacabana, Cidade Nova and General Osório/Ipanema):

BRT Barra-Engenho de Dentro is similar to Line 6/ Metrô Rio:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.