daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy (aug.2, 2013) | DMCA policy | flipboard magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > East Africa > Ethiopia > Projects & Construction > Projects & Construction > Addis Ababa

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:58 PM   #1
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 267

ADDIS ABABA | Wegagen Bank HQ | 23 F | Proposed

Floors: 15

Name: Wegagen Bank HQ

Use: Office, Business

Quote:
2B+G+13 mixed use building Complex.
Addis Ababa ( Wegagen Bank head quarters, infront of Stadium, Near by Lalibella restaurant. Design Completed)

ETG Designers
old news story about the same building:
Wegagen Bank to Build 70mln Birr Hq in Addis

Quote:
Kaleyesus Bekele
Addis Ababa

DATE: 24 February 2007

Wegagen Bank S.C. is to build a new headquarter in Addis Ababa near the national stadium at a cost of 70 million birr.

The bank has secured a plot of land found between Sahile Selassie Building and Lalibela Restaurant. The bank's public relations department told The Reporter that the new building will have twelve stories adding the bank will put up a tender to hire a construction company that would undertake the construction of the building.

Five construction consultants had presented different architectural designs for the complex building. After assessing the five architectural designs, the evaluation committee of the bank selected the design prepared by a consulting firm called ETG. The bank, yesterday, displayed the proposed architectural designs and awarded prizes and certificates to the consulting firms that participated in the competition. The construction of the building is expected to be launched by next year.

Wegagen Bank has 400 shareholders and 1,135 employees. The bank's paid up capital is 220 million birr and its total asset is valued at 3.1 billion birr. The capital of the bank, including the legal reserve, stands at 266 million birr. In the 2005-2006 fiscal year, the bank earned a net profit of 70.9 million birr.

Reporter
Old project also, didnt see a thread on it. It has been redesigned a few times since then, it used to be a box shape. abesha posted this new design in the AddisAbaba Project FactFile thread also. Looks alot better now Imo. Dont know in what stage its in...
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:41 PM   #2
abesha
BANNED

Likes (Received): 493

I like the top half, but the bottom half is way too busy!!
abesha no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM   #3
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1158

It's an Ethiopian architect. At least there's no open-air galleria at the bottom.
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:08 AM   #4
Skyliner123

Likes (Received): 585

NIB, WEGAGEN TO ERECT HIGH-RISE HQS .

Quote:
NIB International Bank and Wegagen Bank, two members of the private banking sector, are set to join the industry-wide trend of constructing multistory headquarter buildings in the capital this week.

According official statements from the banks, one bank’s approval has gone ahead for the design of its 33-story future headquarters, while the other awarded the construction of a 23-story building to a Chinese company this week. Nib’s headquarters will be the taller of the two buildings and the designs chosen are Assefa Gebeyehu Consulting Architects and Engineers. The design selected was awarded 120,000 birr. Wegagen seems to be one step ahead with project. Jiangxin Corporation for International Economic and Technical Cooperation (CJIC), a Chinese construction company has signed the deal with Wegagen on August 5, 2011.

The overall cost of the two projects shows a stark difference. Nib’s building which will be shared with Nib Insurance and which will be the taller of the two is expected to cost some 400 million birr, while Wegagen’s HQ will need some 733 million.

Wegagen’s project, which is expected to be completed in three-and-a-half years was designed by ETG Designers and consultants PLC and will be located around Addis Ababa’s Stadium.

Recently the private banking giants have followed a trend of setting headquarters at business centers of the capital. Awash International Bank, Dashen Bank and United Bank are amongst the banks building high-rise HQs.

The two banks, which were established two years apart from each other; Wegagen in 1997 and Nib 1996, are now major players in the banking industry in the country. Wegagen started operation with a total capital of 30 million birr and 16 shareholders 15 years ago, reaching a one billion birr capital and gaining 2,110 shareholders. Nib also took off with a subscribed capital of 50 million of which 14 million was paid up. After 14 years of operation, the subscribed capital reached 100 million birr; 65 million of which was paid off.
Skyliner123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:47 AM   #5
abesha
BANNED

I can't wait to see NIB's design. It better be good, considering it'll be among the tallest!
Old August 15th, 2011, 12:54 AM   #6
Skyliner123

Abesha,

y0u can see the NIB HQ n the Reprter print versin. Here is a link:

http://ethiopianreporter.com/issues/...Issue-1178.pdf
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:00 AM   #7
abesha
BANNED

For some reason the Reporter site is down. I don't know if the problem is on my end though since you can access it.

Thank you
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:17 AM   #8
Skyliner123

Its n0t down 0n my side Abesh, I'm looking at it.

Try accessing it thrugh the Aigaf0rum link. Then g0 t the Amharic versi0n bef0re clicking 0n the print versi0n. If that desn't w0rk, then yur hair is t00 long.
Old August 15th, 2011, 01:29 AM   #9
abesha
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner123 View Post
Its n0t down 0n my side Abesh, I'm looking at it.

Try accessing it thrugh the Aigaf0rum link. Then g0 t the Amharic versi0n bef0re clicking 0n the print versi0n. If that desn't w0rk, then yur hair is t00 long.

My hair is too long apparently. I tried with different browsers too.

Let me see if changing computers makes a difference.
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:25 AM   #10
Naicho
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by abesha View Post

My hair is too long apparently. I tried with different browsers too.

Let me see if changing computers makes a difference.
I think its because the file is huge, more than 100MB, not your computer.

Here is the pic., not so good thou. ... bad photoshop(on cellphone)

Naicho no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:26 AM   #11
abesha
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naicho View Post
I think its because the file is huge, more than 100MB, not your computer.

Here is the pic., not so good thou. ... bad photoshop(on cellphone)

It doesn't show.

I don't think it was the size of the file. The entire website was not opening, not even the homepage. It's opening now though.
Old August 15th, 2011, 04:32 AM   #12
abesha
BANNED

Here's a screenshot:

The render for NIB looks really bizarre to me. It looks completely out of scale.
Old August 15th, 2011, 07:45 PM   #13
Skyliner123

Abesha,

Nice post. Did you cut your hair ?

I agree that the NIB HQ looks rather unimpressive.

However, I bet this is not the final version of the design.

At any rate, I would say build the darn thing! No matter how ugly it is on its own, I think it will still add value to the cityscape.

Hey Abesha,

I just came up with an idea! How about we start a thread for 'Ugliest Buildings in Addis'.....
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:34 PM   #14
Simfan34
Complainer-in-Chief

Likes (Received): 1158

NIB? I really like it. Yes, the scale is off, but do you see the honeycomb pattern! Innovative! (But perhaps not needed).

"Addis Ababa’s Stadium." Yes!
(Don't forget Ethiopia and NYC, too!)
Simfan34 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2011, 09:54 PM   #15
Skyliner123

Simfan,

I blieve NIB HQ will be located somewhere between National Theater and Webe SHebelle Hetel----Wogagen is the one to be located near the stadium (worst stadium in the world).
Old August 16th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #16
yosef
Ye Kebele Chairman

Likes (Received): 267

changed the thread title to reflect that its 23 floors now instead of 15, also Addisfortune says it will be constructed by China Jiangxi Corporation:

http://www.addisfortune.com/Wegagen%...20New%20HQ.htm
yosef no está en línea   Reply With Quote