daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > North American Skyscrapers Forum > United States Urban Issues > West Coast and Interior West

West Coast and Interior West Includes CA, OR, WA, HI, AK, AZ, NM, NV, UT, CO, WY, MT, ID and BC.

Old September 16th, 2005, 03:24 AM   #1
Yakumoto

Likes (Received): 0

Portland, OR: Nicer than Fresno

I just wanted to remind everyone how horrid the city of Fresno was...
Now for the pictures!

Its a rather long drive to Portland, and one should know that there's not much between the Bay Area and Portland. Northern California and Southern Oregon is quite undeveloped.

I woke up at 5, and began taking pictures as soon as the sun rose.

City Hall:

I crossed over to the east side of the river to get some pictures of the skyline.

Back to the bay area...

Yakumoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old September 16th, 2005, 12:54 PM   #2
JJC80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakumoto
I just wanted to remind everyone how horrid the city of Fresno was...

get a life
JJC80 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 07:19 PM   #3
enigma99a
Anti-westfield

Yah this was a little pointless
enigma99a no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:13 PM   #4
Kerfloozles

Yeah, and I like your choice of pictures too. Picking out the best of Portland, and the worst of the Bay Area. Doesn't seem biased at all

Another error in your post: Fresno isn't even in the Bay Area. It's not even close. So what's the point of including the Bay Area and Northern California in a post whose title compares Portland and Fresno.

By the way. Mt. Hood is sissy. California has 120 mountains over 13,000 ft, and 15 over 14,000 feet. Mt. Hood is Oregon's highest point, and barely makes 11,000.
Kerfloozles no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 11:51 PM   #5
Yakumoto

Quote:
Another error in your post: Fresno isn't even in the Bay Area. It's not even close. So what's the point of including the Bay Area and Northern California in a post whose title compares Portland and Fresno.
I'm from the bay area. I love the bay area. I would much rather live there (except for san jose) than portland. The fresno thing is in reference to a post I did of pictures of fresno, which seemed to hit a raw nerve with JJC80. I included the bay area and northern california because it was part of the drive from my place to portland.
Yakumoto no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 12:08 AM   #6
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 12

Yeah, Mt. Hood sure is a crappy little excuse for a hill

riiight.... the Californian superiority complex never ceases to amaze me. Nice pics by the way.
InlandEmpire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:35 AM   #7
Kerfloozles

Actually, I'm from North Dakota. I just moved here a few months ago. By the way, Californians are a lot nicer than many people make them out to be.
Old September 17th, 2005, 01:47 AM   #8
InlandEmpire
Mixologist

Likes (Received): 12

I've spent PLENTY of time in California...my family lives in west Los Angeles. I know how they are..... and yeah, they are friendly for the most part - that still doesn't mean they aren't quick to judge and look down on ANY state that is compared to California. Seems to be the rule and not the exception. Sorry. BTW- Im not Cali bashing- I love it there.
InlandEmpire no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2005, 09:29 AM   #9
Kerfloozles

Oh, no offense taken. I always loved it here too. Which is why I ended up moving out here. :o)
Old September 18th, 2005, 10:45 PM   #10
ltsmotorsport

It's nothing against you IE, Yakumoto is just being a little punk. Sure, Fresno may not have what Portland has, but there is not superiority complex in this thread, except Yakumoto's.
ltsmotorsport no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2005, 04:48 AM   #11
Whiked918
East Bay Area

Please, don't ever put Frenso and Bay Area in the same sentence.
Whiked918 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Chicago3rd

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InlandEmpire
Yeah, Mt. Hood sure is a crappy little excuse for a hill

riiight.... the Californian superiority complex never ceases to amaze me. Nice pics by the way.

Now trying to remember.....what city in California can one see a 11,000 or taller mountain from sealevel that is within 60 miles?

None......they are hidden...miles up in the mountains. Not as spectacular visually as seeing Mt. Hood or Mt. St. Helens (even closer) from downtown).

Oh...and the drive up I-5 from Sacramento north is fabulous! Mt. Shasta!!!! Damn...that is one hot moutain.
Chicago3rd no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 01:35 AM   #13
sequoias

Likes (Received): 3

And don't forget Mt. Rainier too! Sea level to 14,411 ft which is only under 60 miles. Mt. Hood isn't a hill, it's a huge volcano.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 02:52 AM   #14
LosAngelesSportsFan

Likes (Received): 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd
Now trying to remember.....what city in California can one see a 11,000 or taller mountain from sealevel that is within 60 miles?

None......they are hidden...miles up in the mountains. Not as spectacular visually as seeing Mt. Hood or Mt. St. Helens (even closer) from downtown).

Oh...and the drive up I-5 from Sacramento north is fabulous! Mt. Shasta!!!! Damn...that is one hot moutain.

Actually I believe the peak of mt. san Gorginio is visible form many points in LA, and its at roughly 10, 500 feet. but ya thats a great picture andit doesnt look anything like that, all alone and hovering over the city.
LosAngelesSportsFan no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2005, 08:23 AM   #15
sequoias

Likes (Received): 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan
Actually I believe the peak of mt. san Gorginio is visible form many points in LA, and its at roughly 10, 500 feet. but ya thats a great picture andit doesnt look anything like that, all alone and hovering over the city.
It's actually 11,490 feet....taller than you guessed and it's the tallest mountain in South California, too.
sequoias no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 02:30 AM   #16
Kerfloozles

Mt. Whitney sits at 14,496, the highest point in the continental U.S. It and several mountains around it rise over 11,500 feet from the floor of the Owens Valley and the town of Lone Pine, only 10 miles to the east. And yeah, Shasta is awesome. Basically rises from the Central Valley floor to 14,162 feet.
Old September 23rd, 2005, 05:21 AM   #17
Slammed0

What part of North Dakota did you move from?
Slammed0 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2005, 07:06 AM   #18
Kerfloozles

Grand Forks, on the Eastern border.
Old December 25th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #19
Guitar_drummer87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago3rd View Post

Well, Visalia is only 300 feet above sea level, but is WITHIN a straight shot of 60 miles of Mt. Whitney (14,505ft) and both Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. If you were to be anywhere in the city on a clear day and look to the mountains, the view would be comparable to looking at the Himalayas. A wall of massive snow covered rocks shooting well over 11,000 feet. The view literally owns that pic of Mt. Hood. I live about 45 minutes north of Visalia (Clovis) and I see that view almost everyday (when it isnt foggy), and it is spectacular. Come spring time, if i feel up to it, i will get up before the sunrise and drive to Visalia to take some pics.

Death Valley is like 280 feet below sea level, and I am pretty sure that some of the mountains on the rim of the valley reach above 11,000 ft. I know it is close to Mt Whitney and visible, but that may be a little further than 60 miles.

I don't know anyone who has a "California superiority complex." Personally, I think every state is awesome and diverse in many ways, as do most people I know.
Guitar_drummer87 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM   #20
MarkDaMan
GoByStreetcar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerfloozles
Mt. Whitney sits at 14,496, the highest point in the continental U.S.
What continent is Alaska a part of? I think you meant the contiguous United States as we all know Alaska has the tallest mountain in North America (part of the same continent the lower 48 sit on). Mount McKinley at 20,320, blows the crap out of any other moutain...

Why the mountain pissing match? Mt. Hood is gorgeous and it has a terrific place in Portland's skyline. California has spectacular peaks too. Have we hit a new low when we are crapping at each other over the tallest or prettiest mountain???

By the way, I can't see Yakumoto's pictures.
MarkDaMan no está en línea   Reply With Quote