daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Nordic & Baltic > General discussions > Regional development

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old October 26th, 2008, 02:49 AM   #1
sapmi
BANNED

Likes (Received): 90

Gated communities in N&B

Sweden will soon have it's first gated community, Victoria Park Social Club in Malmö, and a recently presented survey shows that around one third of the Swedes wants to live in a gated community.

How is the situation in the other N&B countries? Do you already have gated communities? What are the attitudes against it?

Victoria Park: http://www.victoriapark.se/flash/index.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gated_community
sapmi no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old October 26th, 2008, 03:20 AM   #2
IceCheese
Scandi-friendly

Likes (Received): 383

IceCheese no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:38 AM   #3
FREKI
Pip pip pip boom..

Likes (Received): 2435

After having looked trough their site I found nothing about the gated part - other than that they call them self a "Social Club" it seems pretty normal to me - sis I miss anything?

About gated communities I think we remember that they come in many forms - here in Scandinavia I would expect them to be a patch on private property with a fence so the resedents could let their children play safely and not having to worry about burglars and such..

It's not like it's entire hoods with shops and police and so on as is seen elsewhere in the world - I would expect it to be people wanting a a fence just like houses has to limit the acces of people who doesn't belong there in the first place..
FREKI no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #4
kjetilab
YIMBYer.no

Likes (Received): 188

I lived in a gated community for a year in South Africa, and felt really isolated from the rest of the world. That have of course several explanations, but I think gated communities does something to the sense of belonging to a bigger social unity which is not good at all, and very foreign to the Scandinavian countries.
kjetilab no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #5
Boscorelli

Likes (Received): 20

It isn't a gated community. Like they said on TV they won't be having any gates and everyone is welcome to the area! It's a media thing!
Boscorelli está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:11 PM   #6
sapmi
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boscorelli View Post
It isn't a gated community. Like they said on TV they won't be having any gates and everyone is welcome to the area! It's a media thing!
But the area will be guarded 24/7 and you can't come in there without passing the reception.
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:13 PM   #7
Giedrius_LT
BaltoScandia

Likes (Received): 0

If I could choose a community made of non of retarded trash, I would choose one.

In a level of "development" society is really not the same and often the continent and not so hardy more clever part of it suffers from the other part.

Sometimes I think that it is hard to be a progressive intellectual kid then most of the surroundings aren't something you could call an authority. Then the normal minority is considered as abnormal part and as I've said it suffers and sometimes simply assimilates.

Same goes for any range of age.

So people should be able to create the living standards defined by their abilitys. And some gated community could enable this.
Giedrius_LT no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:21 PM   #8
Boscorelli

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapmi View Post
But the area will be guarded 24/7 and you can't come in there without passing the reception.

Well that's what they said on tv, perhaps they got cold feet, I don't know. But there will be no fence around the area.

I've got nothing against gated communities, I wouldn't like to live in one myself but if others wan't to, why not? Go ahead! But if people think that it is more safe to live in a gated community I think they are fooling themselves, how do you know that your neighbour inside the gated community isn't the dangerous one?
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:37 PM   #9
sapmi
BANNED

Quote:
Well that's what they said on tv, perhaps they got cold feet, I don't know. But there will be no fence around the area.
Of course they don't wants to call it a gated community because it sounds bad. Anyway, it may not be a "real" gated community but it absolutely shows that this could be the future since many people wants to have this kind of living. We'll see more and more of these neighborhoods and thats scary to me. People will live isolated from each other.
Old October 26th, 2008, 02:44 PM   #10
Boscorelli

People already live isolated from each other, without gated communities. I really don't see this as a big scary thing, a bit sad but not scary.
It is false security but why deny people to live this way if they want to?
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #11
sapmi
BANNED

Quote:

People already live isolated from each other, without gated communities. I really don't see this as a big scary thing, a bit sad but not scary.
It is false security but why deny people to live this way if they want to?
The thing is, that when people in these neighborhoods have everything they need, like a gym, cinema, restaurant, health centre etc. they don't have to interact with the rest of the society. That makes them isolated and makes the cities more boring.
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:45 PM   #12
Boscorelli

I can see what you mean, it is basically a shopping mall with housing for those living there, but I wouldn't like to stop people from living that way just because I don't want to live that way or like that way of living.
And I do believe that people are curious on what goes around outside their area too, people are curious by nature, although apparently not safe.
Perhaps freedom of choice is more important for me than you, I don't know. But I am not here to defend gated communities because that way of living is quite uninteresting to me! But my way of living and your way of living and others who doesn't like it, can't be all that people would have to choose between. At least not from my point of view, and I hope from not too many others either.

Last edited by Boscorelli; October 26th, 2008 at 03:55 PM. Reason: bloody english language!
Old October 26th, 2008, 03:56 PM   #13
NiceGuy
Freedom will prevail

I have never seen any American-style suburban gated community here in Oslo, but I definitely think there is a market for it. Many urban apartment blocks have guarded outdoor areas that are closed off from the public though. I have lived in suburban gated communities abroad several times, and think it would be nice to have that option in Oslo too. Especially for people with kids and teenagers. Security guards are expensive here though, and they are not armed...
NiceGuy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:03 PM   #14
new-sk

Likes (Received): 1

i have only seen a couple of new apartment blocks in budapest and nicosia with private security,swimming pool and lounge bar within the building itself.
I dont know if it will be sucessful in sweden,but if some people want to live like this it is their choice.
i guess it has to do more with the issue of "i have more money than you" rather than safety reasons. Sweden is very safe in general so i dont think this could be a real reason for the existance of these communities
new-sk no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #15
Kevlargeist

Likes (Received): 458

No gated communities in Finland to my knowledge.
Kevlargeist no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 07:33 PM   #16
Rebasepoiss

Likes (Received): 529

I think I would feel claustrophobic in a gated community. Besides, I think gated communities are not good for a society in general because they make the distances between different layers of society even greater. Even now I often have a feeling that people who live in wealthy suburbs don't know how life really is in Estonia for most of the people.
Old October 27th, 2008, 01:10 AM   #17
ØlandDK
Used User

Likes (Received): 81

Don't like the idea of gated communities in Denmark, Scandinavia, Nothern Europe, Western Europe, Europe or the Western World in general.
ØlandDK no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 03:42 AM   #18
staff
囧!

Likes (Received): 499

Victoria Park seems really terrible, and I could never see myself living in such a place.

Although, I have lived in "gated communities" (really the wrong term here) in Asia, and it's really not the same thing there as it is in the US and in Europe. Many new inner-city developments in East Asian cities (+Singapore, KL, BKK etc.) have in fact some kind of gates around them with guards, but that doesn't really make them more isolated than a regular apartment building. Pretty much all of these buildings meet the street well and have street level retail, and as long as the urbanity isn't sacrificed I'm totally okay with it. A 24/7 reception is a good thing.
Old October 27th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #19
LatvianGG
Hotel Business

Likes (Received): 1

I can easily imagine such gated community in Latvia, but less in Scandinavian countries. But actually it makes me think only about closed communities in Arabic countries where western people live - there they are not forced to live by following arabic/muslim norms (all the gender difference things, women covering hair etc.).

Going to Amsterdam??
http://www.hotelaalders.nl
LatvianGG no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 27th, 2008, 10:02 PM   #20
TOB1AS

Some of my relatives lived in a gated community in the US. However, there were only homes and nothing else. I don't see any problem with gated communities as long as they only include people's homes, it would just make the residents feel safer and if they are willing to pay more for that then I think they should be able to. I would not like to live in a gated community myself tho.
TOB1AS no está en línea   Reply With Quote