daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > OZScrapers > Skyscrapers & local issues > Projects, Construction, Skyscrapers & Statistics > KiwiScrapers > Regional Cities

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old February 9th, 2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Likes (Received): 0

Waikato | Project - Hampton Downs Raceway

Petrol head nirvana!

Sorry boys and girls, though I myself just can't fathom watching cars go round, and round, and round, ... This remains an awesome development especially for those who like this sort of thing. Plus its a bonus for NZ sports facilities.

Since succeeding with their Resource Consent 30 November 2006 the Hampton Downs Motorsport Park has now appointed a contractor for stage 1 (of 8 in total) initial earthworks of approx 220,000 cubic metres of cut and fill to start building the circuit.

Article here

The 150 hectares is 2 km south of the current Meremere drag strip and oval, in North Waikato, just South of Auckland. 40 minutes from either Auckland or Hamilton.

The final design and full FIA simulation analysis as a Category 2 circuit has now been completed by Clive Bowen of Apex Circuit Design Ltd. The layout is simple, without undue ‘frills', but because of the contour of the land it will be a challenging and rewarding track to drive. Unlike other tracks in New Zealand, this circuit has plenty of rise and fall. Added to this are two long straights and at least four good passing opportunities around the full circuit. The 3.8 km large circuit has ten corners, five right hand and five left hand. The main straight is 950 metres long, with a kink in the middle and a 15 metre rise and fall. The back straight is flat with a length of 750 metres. Circuit direction is clockwise.

The Club circuit has its own infrastructure, including parking and a driver training hall. This track is 1.2 kms in length, with five corners, and one small hill on its south east side. The medium circuit is 2.8 kms, with eight corners and hilly contours. This circuit incorporates the long front straight and pit garages. Both these circuits already have training and corporate days committed upon their completion The two circuits sit on a very large 170 acre site, while a further 230 acres will contain an Industrial Park, Camping Ground, Lifestyle Blocks and Recreational Vehicle course.

http://www.hamptondowns.com

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Kane007 no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old February 9th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #2
Paulsy
This space for rent.

Likes (Received): 2

Cars no, but motorcycles - heck yeah! Looking forward to seeing it finally built. Hopefully it won't be fighting off trying to be shut down for noise reasons in a couple of years time by people who "didn't realise it was there" when they bought near it.
Paulsy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2007, 05:27 AM   #3
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Construction underway!

As the most venerable D Lange would say..."Stupid, I can smell the hydrocarbons on your breath from over here!"
Old July 9th, 2007, 06:49 AM   #4
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Earth works update 2007/05/19

And you can orientate on the Waikato Expressway at the top of this last pic.

Old July 10th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #5
dubious

This is a great development for motorsport in NZ. I wonder if the track will host the V8 Supercars in future...
dubious no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2007, 02:46 AM   #6
Kane007
12 Solo's so far!

Construction progress

The view through the Chris Amon block to the track below 07/10/19

The Amon Block starting to take shape 07/10/04

Track Water. Many people have commented on the amount of water captured in the 'sweeper' corner by the Motorway, so we just want to advise people that this not how the track will look when it is finished. At the moment the track level is approx 2.5 metres above the surrounding flat land for pre-loading and is also holding water for sediment control. When completed, the track will be approx 1.0 metre above the flat land, but have an 80 metre wide 'footprint'.

Over these last few months a lot of work has been going on laying metal in the car park and preparing the apartment building platforms with the metal surround. August 22, 2007

The view of Apartment A building platform and looking across to B and C platforms.

A great aerial shot taken 07/06/16

Part of the carpark behind the Apartment blocks, Hampton Downs Rd on the left. 07/05/19

Carving into the hills 07/03/27

The front straight starting to take shape. Geotech cloth being laid over the existing pasture before the preload is applied 07/03/06

Old September 30th, 2008, 12:48 PM   #7
QinBriz

Any updates on this development?
Would be great to se a A1GP round at this track. Should be an improvement on Taupo.
QinBriz no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:37 AM   #8
nthbeach

Likes (Received): 15

FROM STUFF, A1GP FOR HAMPTON DOWNS

Taupo has lost the New Zealand A1GP motor racing round, and is to be replaced by the new Hampton Downs circuit in the north Waikato.

A1GP New Zealand today confirmed that, following submissions from Taupo Motorsport Park and Hampton Downs Motorsport Park, its preference was for Hampton Downs to host the race in early November.

Hampton Downs -- midway between Auckland and Hamilton -- confirmed today it intended to be open for business from June and have its international circuit completed by September.

That would allow an A1GP double header in Australasia to go ahead with the Gold Coast round in October and the Hampton Downs round in early November.

" We will be making a recommendation to A1GP directly that if the event comes back to New Zealand in 2009, our preference would be for a race at Hampton Downs with an early November date," A1GP promoter Gary Dawson said.

"Taupo has done a really great job over the past three years but the commercial reality for the event and the series is that it needs to be closer to larger population bases and Hampton Downs sits neatly between both Hamilton and Auckland."
nthbeach está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2009, 11:38 AM   #9
nthbeach

Likes (Received): 15

Be good to see some updated pictures
nthbeach está en línea ahora   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2009, 01:39 AM   #10
QinBriz

finally the announcement has been made.. Was always on the cards and I wonder if the Taupo DC is upset about the money they spent upgrading the Taupo track!
Old March 13th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #11
Richard7666

Likes (Received): 13

Wow, there are a fair few tracks in that part of the country now. Taupo, Pukekohe, and now this.

What are the other racing tracks in NZ just out of interest? In the SI there's Ruapuna (Christchurch), Levels (Timaru), and Teretonga (Invercargill), plus one in Cromwell which is in the middle of nowhere. North Island has Taupo, Pukekohe, Manfield, soon to have this...and is that it?
Richard7666 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:36 AM   #12
QinBriz

Obviously not too many petrol heads on this forum!
Would be interesting to see a photo update on Hampton Downs.
Old May 24th, 2009, 05:08 PM   #13
spotila
SSC Mapper

Likes (Received): 44

there are lots of updated photos here:

http://www.hamptondowns.com/Construction-Update.wse
spotila no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 05:02 AM   #14
Ironmanfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard7666 View Post
Wow, there are a fair few tracks in that part of the country now. Taupo, Pukekohe, and now this.

What are the other racing tracks in NZ just out of interest? In the SI there's Ruapuna (Christchurch), Levels (Timaru), and Teretonga (Invercargill), plus one in Cromwell which is in the middle of nowhere. North Island has Taupo, Pukekohe, Manfield, soon to have this...and is that it?

Is the Pukekohe race track being 'decommisioned?

It is combined with the horse race track, and I thought the club had decided to go down the route of being the major (only) practice track in the Auckland region, which meant closing down the car track.

This was about 2 years ago that I last heard anything about it.

I thought that instead of asking avague question I would google it myself!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pukekohe_Park_Raceway

seems it's still running both car and horse racing, but owned by Counties Racing Club who are not investing much money ion the car track ....
Ironmanfood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2009, 10:44 PM   #15
jamie.h

lots of new photos here http://www.hamptondowns.com/Construction-Update.wse that have just been put up. I drive past it often and it is looking really good now. Much of the track is sealed already although they are only getting the short track finished for now.
jamie.h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2009, 01:05 PM   #16
metroman
metroman

Likes (Received): 8

http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times...ahia-landscape
metroman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM   #17
KiwiRob
BANNED

Likes (Received): 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by QinBriz View Post
Any updates on this development?
Would be great to se a A1GP round at this track. Should be an improvement on Taupo.
Why settle for A1GP I think Hampton Downs should aim higher and go for an IRL race. With Dixon in the field it would be a sellout, it should be easy to find a good sponsor.
KiwiRob no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old October 28th, 2009, 10:17 AM   #18
jamie.h

one of the tracks is now finished. youtube shows some hot laps of cars and bikes going around it. would love to give it a go myself. it looks really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SZwP1cM-K8 and plenty more on there
jamie.h no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM   #19
QinBriz

Nice youtube pics.

Looks like A1GP is in trouble. Doubt they will be back to NZ. I hope the backers of Hampton Downs can get by on the domestic use and no international races.