daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > European Forums > Euroscrapers > Local discussions > Hellenic Architecture Agora > Ελληνικός Κόσμος | Hellenic Cosmos > Αθήνα | Athens

Αθήνα | Athens Μητροπολιτική Αθήνα | Metropolitan Athens

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Giorgio

Likes (Received): 361

Future of the OAKA Complex

What can be done to help this place?
Isn't it just sad looking at what has happened to it?
Tourists visit it today expecting to see what the saw in 2004 but instead they get yet another one of Greece's historic ruins.

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr

Are the pools surrounding the complex now always empty and dirty?
What can be done to revitalise the park? Surely by adding some kind of night time attractions you could make it a weekly venue and place for people to stay around at after an event. Maybe we could build bars within the park or something to keep people there?

Sponsored Links

Old March 3rd, 2008, 04:17 AM   #2
NickyF
BANNED

Likes (Received): 0

As the state and local Council are totally incopetant, I suggest OAKA be handed over to the private sector on a long term lease, that incorporates:-
  • Ongoing management and mainteance of the site to an agreed standard;
  • Ongoing rental returns to the greek state;
  • % of takings over a fixed amount to be paid to greek state;
  • New operator can develop park (OAKA) in line with Master Plan; and
  • Gauranteed 24 hour public access to all public domain areas (agora etc).

There is no reason why this outstanding creation cannot be made commercially sustainable.........

Here in Sydney, the former Olympic site in Homebush is being converted into a satelite city with highrise buildings, conference venues and public open space........
NickyF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2008, 08:25 AM   #3
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

Likes (Received): 742

I heard about plans to be given to the Hellenic Expo Organization which runs the Thessaloniki and the Athens Expo center in Maroussi to convert it to a multi-purpose event site or something. But nothing concrete still, or, I need to check my sources...
Old March 3rd, 2008, 11:10 AM   #4
AAL

Likes (Received): 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyF View Post
As the state and local Council are totally incopetant, I suggest OAKA be handed over to the private sector on a long term lease, that incorporates:-
  • Ongoing management and mainteance of the site to an agreed standard;
  • Ongoing rental returns to the greek state;
  • % of takings over a fixed amount to be paid to greek state;
  • New operator can develop park (OAKA) in line with Master Plan; and
  • Gauranteed 24 hour public access to all public domain areas (agora etc).

There is no reason why this outstanding creation cannot be made commercially sustainable.........

Here in Sydney, the former Olympic site in Homebush is being converted into a satelite city with highrise buildings, conference venues and public open space........
I totally agree. The public sector in Greece is just the place where nothing happens. We need a larger private sector - the moment a big company aquires a facility, it is revitalised. Look at "City Link" (the former Army Shard Funds Building). A true landmark of Athens, it was decaying for decades...some morons in the early '70s even wanted to demolish it...and now it shines with its original splendor, thanks to the bank that bought it.
AAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 08:14 AM   #5
pinoslios

it looks spectacular at night though, honestly, and Athens is really a city that comes alive at night, so it's fitting. sure it's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. remember how that space looked beforehand? i do, and it wasn't pretty.
pinoslios no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 4th, 2008, 09:13 AM   #6
Giorgio

Since we have the space now, we should use it properly.
Privatisation would work a treat IMO.
Old March 4th, 2008, 05:59 PM   #7
savas
produit hellenique

Likes (Received): 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2263 View Post
I heard about plans to be given to the Hellenic Expo Organization which runs the Thessaloniki and the Athens Expo center in Maroussi to convert it to a multi-purpose event site or something. But nothing concrete still, or, I need to check my sources...

The problem with this solution is the architectural part. We all know what happend to the velodrome after they closed the bottom part of it without having the advice of Calatrava. So i am afraid that we could see horrible structures (tents) and other surprises.

One thing that should also be considered is the big areas of the so called "patimeno choma" which continualy make a "dirty" impression
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:03 AM   #8
AAL

Likes (Received): 16

I agree, this "patimeno choma" fashion annoys me. People pretend it symbolizes something - while it actually symbolizes low cost. And it's a constant source of dirt. There are many materials that can be used to pave an area.
AAL no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 12:39 AM   #9
savas
produit hellenique

Likes (Received): 290

The sad part of the story is that 4 years after the Olympic Games one of worlds most beautiful Olympic sites, a masterpiece of Architecture (together with Munich) is "waiting".... waiting for what?.. I just dont get it..

Just have a look at Munich Olympiapark website:
http://www.olympiapark-muenchen.de/

There a lot of work to be done...
savas no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 01:30 AM   #10
Reaper-strain
BANNED

Likes (Received): 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by savas View Post
The problem with this solution is the architectural part. We all know what happend to the velodrome after they closed the bottom part of it without having the advice of Calatrava. So i am afraid that we could see horrible structures (tents) and other surprises.
Agreed
Reaper-strain no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #11
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

I have a question to ask:

If anybody wants to, say, visit this complex what s/he has to do? I am asking this because, probably here or elsewhere I was given the answer that a pre-arranged organized group tour which may be pre-agreed with the stadium's ( ? ) "authorities" or whatever, may be possible ( ? ).

Of course, all this is miles away from a proper presentation of the stadium including references in tourist guides, visiting hours, an organized utilization of the facilities with organized eating, drinking, sanitary or other amenities. Not to mention web presence and the like.

Unless these things exist in which case I would appreciate of someone can tell us more as, the least I can say, the possibility to visit the Athens Olympic Complex is NOT advertised or should I use the word "encouraged" nowadays. (και οι αστυνόμοι φρουροί θέλουν την ησυχία τους, "που να τρέχεις τώρα" κλπ κλπ μπορεί να λένε).
Old March 6th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #12
NickyF
BANNED

GM here are some details about visiting the site from the official OAKA site
http://www.oaka.com.gr/

Ξεναγήσεις

Το Ολυμπιακό Αθλητικό Κέντρο Αθηνών «Σπύρος Λούης» δέχεται για περιήγηση στους χώρους του οργανωμένες ομάδες επισκεπτών ( άνω των 15 ατόμων).
Οι ενδιαφερόμενοι θα πρέπει να αποστείλουν φαξ στο 210 6834021 προκειμένου να δεσμευτεί η συγκεκριμένη ημέρα και ώρα.
Το κόστος είναι 3€ το άτομο (άνω των 12 ετών). Οι οργανωμένες επισκέψεις ελληνικών εκπαιδευτικών ιδρυμάτων είναι δωρεάν.

Για περισσότερες πληροφορίες απευθυνθείτε στο Τμήμα Δημοσίων και Διεθνών Σχέσεων (210 6834777).
NickyF no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #13
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

...which sadly, exactly corroborates what I say. There are no preset visiting hours, it's like visiting a dictator's mausoleum and not an open sports complex which has been an Olympic Games site. We should be glad that we are not asked to fill a stamped application with apostille.

I had proposed the idea to have a kiosk at the entrance with a €5 entrance fee and small movable structures where snacks and coffee would be sold until the big shot "private investor" appointee for the utilization of the park finally shows up...

But I guess this solution is light years away from the grasp of understanding of the "current administration".

..."που να τρέχεις τώρα"

Last edited by gm2263; March 6th, 2008 at 11:00 AM.
gm2263 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2008, 10:31 AM   #14
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 288

There isnt anything that saddens me more than seeing the condition OAKA is today ... I remember the months before the games, how anxious we were about its construction, i remember the pride we felt during the games and for what we had built... the stunning pictures from the complex...

It is one of the worst crimes the Greek state has ever done in modern years! As it seems the Greek state wanted all this wonderful ( and, don't forget that, incredibly expensive ) buildings to be used only for the 15 days of the games and then let them to rot.

Well then, im sorry to say that, but.... we didnt deserved the Olympics. No. We didnt. I feel so angry seeing the OAKA in the state that it is today ( and its not only OAKA, almost all of the olympic venues are in this sorry state ), that now im truly ashamed that i live in this country.

Anger and shame is all i feel. Well done. Very well done.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 09:10 PM   #15
masterpaul
(Nilaul)

Likes (Received): 125

What needs to be done?

:: Build shops and cafetirias and resturants on the other side of the archway.

:: Plant grass and trees.

:: Orginize events for the public.

:: Build a museum.
masterpaul no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2008, 10:18 PM   #16
gm2263
The Jedi Will Rise Again

BTW, the Olympic games museum will be accomodated in the IBC building which for the larger part is turned into a high class shopping center.
Old March 8th, 2008, 01:01 AM   #17
Spartan_X

Likes (Received): 288

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm2263 View Post
BTW, the Olympic games museum will be accomodated in the IBC building which for the larger part is turned into a high class shopping center.
Will be? so its officially planned to be built ? thats something good for a change.

Spartan proverb
Spartan_X no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM   #18
BANNED

Have they ever thought of holding large concerts in the main stadium? Stadiums are used all around the world for concerts.

What about all the smaller football clubs in Athens, couldn't they share the venue, and save some money in the process?
1821 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old March 11th, 2008, 10:55 AM   #19
Giorgio

They do hold large concerts in the main stadium.
Old March 11th, 2008, 03:15 PM   #20
rick123

Likes (Received): 30

I think OAKA is great for a walks, or if you want to play tennis, football, swim
or just sit down and enjoy sunsets.

Eurovision was there also...
rick123 no está en línea   Reply With Quote