daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Continental Forums > Africa > Southern Africa > South Africa > Economy, Infrastructure and Transportation > Sporting Infrastructure and Events > The Touchline

The Touchline Sports

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 3rd, 2010, 07:35 PM   #1
cairngorm

Likes (Received): 0

Eight days to go some last minute questions

Sorry for the seperate thread, please feel free to merge but I do need some answers to allow us to plan our trip.

Q1 - How much for a taxi from Umhlanga rocks to KSIA
Q2 - We have ~7hrs in CT, how much time would we need to get from city centre to the top of table mountain and back and how much for a taxi each way.
Q3 The CT Airport shuttle drops us off at Hertzog Boulevard, is that close to the action?

Many thanks folks.
cairngorm no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links

Old June 3rd, 2010, 08:12 PM   #2
_X_

Likes (Received): 329

http://maps.google.com

Some basic idea on distance,routes and times
_X_ no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 09:18 PM   #3
SharksBoy
Good Luck South Africa!

Q1 hmm i would say R11 per km for Taxi and good thing is Umhlanga Rock is not far from KSIA

Q2 I think it should be hour or two from city to top of table mountain. remember there will be longest quene during world cup. Right Mo rush?

Q3 No idea, ask mo rush
SharksBoy no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 10:32 PM   #4
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

q3

Yes, its a short walk from the train station, grand parade, and a short bus ride from the Waterfront, Stadium, etc.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 3rd, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
pathfinder_2010

Likes (Received): 5

gonna use your thread to ask a question if you dont mind -

Is it true that there is luggage storage area at OR Tambo and is it safe to keep baggage for a couple days and how much does it cost ? Wanna avoid carrying my big suitcase since I will be traveling for a couple days around Mpumalanga, Limpopo back to Gauteng to catch a flight from OR Tambo.

Thanks

ke nako
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:50 PM   #6
kmvdb

guys...
do you know if you have bought tickets in the first few sales phases, when you were not allowed to choose a seat, that your seat number was allocated at the point of sales and not when you go and collect the ticket ?
kmvdb no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 01:54 PM   #7
annman
Annman

Likes (Received): 289

If Table Mountain has a queue, you may not make it. If you can get aboard the cable car quickly, you can do it. It's about 5km from the Civic Centre to the Lower Cable Station.

Shame... 7 hours in Cape Town... when you look out the window as you land you're going to kick yourself... and that is even before you get on the ground!

*Just had a mate here from NYC for 9 days, he almost refused to board the plane back. I couldn't even show half the stuff I wanted to and that was just being in Cape Town and the Winelands.
annman no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 02:04 PM   #8
cairngorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by annman View Post
If Table Mountain has a queue, you may not make it. If you can get aboard the cable car quickly, you can do it. It's about 5km from the Civic Centre to the Lower Cable Station.

Shame... 7 hours in Cape Town... when you look out the window as you land you're going to kick yourself... and that is even before you get on the ground!

*Just had a mate here from NYC for 9 days, he almost refused to board the plane back. I couldn't even show half the stuff I wanted to and that was just being in Cape Town and the Winelands.
I know, I've been before. I was desperate for my friends to see CT but we have a tight schedule and a day trip was all we could manage (better than nothing I suppose) Thanks for the info annman
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Flood

Likes (Received): 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinder_2010 View Post
gonna use your thread to ask a question if you dont mind -

Is it true that there is luggage storage area at OR Tambo and is it safe to keep baggage for a couple days and how much does it cost ? Wanna avoid carrying my big suitcase since I will be traveling for a couple days around Mpumalanga, Limpopo back to Gauteng to catch a flight from OR Tambo.

Thanks

ke nako
There is a luggage storage area. From Terminal A go downstairs into the basement to the first (upper) basement level. This is largely a parking garage but the luggage storage facility is here as well. Its as safe as these luggage storage places can be expected to be. I think costs are around R50 per day.

You could possibly find more info on the acsa website: www.acsa.co.za
Flood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:34 PM   #10
pathfinder_2010

Likes (Received): 5

Much appreciated Flood
pathfinder_2010 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:39 PM   #11
Flood

Likes (Received): 2

Pleasure.
Flood no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM   #12
dysan1
More development

Likes (Received): 384

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairngorm View Post
Sorry for the seperate thread, please feel free to merge but I do need some answers to allow us to plan our trip.

Q1 - How much for a taxi from Umhlanga rocks to KSIA
Q2 - We have ~7hrs in CT, how much time would we need to get from city centre to the top of table mountain and back and how much for a taxi each way.
Q3 The CT Airport shuttle drops us off at Hertzog Boulevard, is that close to the action?

Many thanks folks.
Q1 - Taxi is R5 for flag fall and R10 per km. Therefore to the place you are staying in Umhlanga it will be about R150-R180. The other option would be to use the shuttles which will leave the airport for Umhlanga every 5 to 15mins from the same transport plaza.

Q2/3 - Hope its a decent weather day or you will not be seeing much at all
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 242

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairngorm View Post

Many thanks folks.
Q2: 7 Hours is cutting things a bit fine, but I'm sure you'll make it. I would not stress about traffic leading to table mountain, rather the cue of people waiting to go up. Standing in a line to go up could take anything from 45 minutes to well over an hour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dysan1 View Post
Q2/3 - Hope its a decent weather day or you will not be seeing much at all
No need to stress about the weather. Although this is in our winter season and it is not "the warmest place to be"; many will be visiting the city. Our hotels etc have gotten more than 40% occupancy rates; without any additional advertisements of the city.

If you are unable to make use of Cable car or go up the mountains in the surrounding area; There is a wheel (similar to that of the London Eye) positioned at the entrance of the V&A waterfront for people to make use of.

Do enjoy your stay during the World Cup.
Andrew_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #14
cairngorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_za View Post
Q2: 7 Hours is cutting things a bit fine, but I'm sure you'll make it. I would not stress about traffic leading to table mountain, rather the cue of people waiting to go up. Standing in a line to go up could take anything from 45 minutes to well over an hour.

No need to stress about the weather. Although this is in our winter season and it is not "the warmest place to be"; many will be visiting the city. Our hotels etc have gotten more than 40% occupancy rates; without any additional advertisements of the city.

If you are unable to make use of Cable car or go up the mountains in the surrounding area; There is a wheel (similar to that of the London Eye) positioned at the entrance of the V&A waterfront for people to make use of.

Thanks Andrew, I think we may need to settle for a trip on the wheel and some photos. Still, we have 17 days in Durban, we can't travel all that way from the uk and not try and see CT, even if it is for only 7 or so hrs.
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM   #15
crazydude

Likes (Received): 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmvdb View Post
guys...
do you know if you have bought tickets in the first few sales phases, when you were not allowed to choose a seat, that your seat number was allocated at the point of sales and not when you go and collect the ticket ?
For seats bought in phases 1 - 4, the tickets were assigned seats on the morning of 15 April 2010, just before over the counter sales started.
crazydude no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2010, 06:21 PM   #16
Andrew_za

Likes (Received): 242

This is the Wheel, along with some information.

Quote:
The Wheel
image hosted on flickr
image hosted on flickr

image hosted on flickr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lydon View Post
Cape Town's giant wheel of fun
May 31st, 2010

The V&A Waterfront, Cape Town's oldest working harbour and iconic retail, leisure and hospitality destination, has secured the exclusive right to host the 50m high Wheel of Excellence as one of its attractions for local and international visitors over the upcoming FIFA World Cup tournament.

The Wheel of Excellence, a fully illuminated giant wheel will feature 36 fully enclosed luxury cabins which will treat visitors to a unique sightseeing opportunity - providing an eagle eye view of the V&A Waterfront, Cape Town Stadium, Robben Island, Table Mountain, the City and the Paarl mountains.

Click here for the Wheel of Excellence gallery

Says V&A Waterfront 2010 spokesperson John Elliott, "Our aim is to offer visitors new ways to experience the V&A Waterfront and the excitement of this once-in-a-lifetime event in a fun, safe and secure venue."

"The Wheel of Excellence is an endorsement of the fact that the V&A Waterfront would like to offer all visitors a world-class experience. Our status as one of the most visited destinations in Africa and close proximity to the new Cape Town stadium means that we are expecting in the region of 100 000 visitors daily during the tournament. The Wheel of Excellence will be one of many reasons to visit the V&A Waterfront."

"This particular attraction is perfect for Cape Town. It will be beautifully illuminated at night and will offer affordable rides in the comfort of the luxury cabins. In Cape Town one should always take the weather into account and fortunately we will be able to accommodate rides, up to the point of extreme weather."

The 36 luxury cabins feature glass floors, air conditioning and LED lighting. The Wheel is equipped with two types of ballast tanks at its base for safety during windy conditions and can accommodate a load capacity of 288 persons per ride (8 people per cabin).

"The V&A Waterfront has a number of exciting activities and events planned for visitors during 2010 and beyond. The Wheel will remain at the V&A Waterfront after the World Cup and as ticket prices will range from about R70 per person, it is the perfect way for visitors to experience the V&A Waterfront and to enjoy the spectacular landscape."

Located at the Gateway Canal, accessed from the Coen Steytler entrance to the V&A Waterfront, The Wheel of Excellence is the first wheel of its size and type in South Africa. It will be fully operational in time for the World Cup and will remain in Cape Town for a further period.

The Wheel of Excellence is manufactured and operated to the highest standards and is located in major cities and countries around the world, including the USA, Australia, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Malaysia, France and Japan. This particular wheel has come from the Champs Elysees in Paris where it was a major attraction over the peak Christmas and New Year period, attracting high numbers of visitations. All Wheel of Excellence products are designed and manufactured according to the latest German and European standards, ensuring 100% safety record for all wheels assembled throughout the world.

For more information about the V&A Waterfront, visit www.waterfront.co.za

Last edited by Andrew_za; June 5th, 2010 at 03:10 PM.
Andrew_za no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2010, 02:57 PM   #17
Lydon

Likes (Received): 2326

The weather will probably be fine. It should be cold at worst. The last few days has been sunny but cool during the day and once or twice some light rain near midnight.

7 hours isn't much time, though! What you could consider is a trip on a city sight-seeing bus. You can do that regardless of the weather (albeit you won't be able to sit on the top section of the bus that's exposed to the weather if its raining).
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:18 PM   #18
dysan1
More development

Quote:
Q2:No need to stress about the weather. Although this is in our winter season and it is not "the warmest place to be"; many will be visiting the city. Our hotels etc have gotten more than 40% occupancy rates; without any additional advertisements of the city.

yawn...all i'm saying is i hope he arrives on a good day, or else its 7hours of seeing very little "Cape Town"...no need to make it a pissing contest
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:20 PM   #19
dysan1
More development

ps...that wheel does look good!!! Will it run regardless of weather? i.e not affected like the cable car to table mountain?
Old June 5th, 2010, 03:58 PM   #20
Mo Rush
life.love.everything else

Likes (Received): 51

it will blow away and land up in durban.

Mo Rush no está en línea   Reply With Quote