search the site
 daily menu » rate the banner | guess the city | one on oneforums map | privacy policy | DMCA | news magazine | posting guidelines

Go Back   SkyscraperCity > Infrastructure and Mobility Forums > Subways and Urban Transport

Subways and Urban Transport Metros, subways, light rail, trams, buses and other local transport systems

Global Announcement

As a general reminder, please respect others and respect copyrights. Go here to familiarize yourself with our posting policy.

Old June 13th, 2007, 08:11 PM   #41
tiger
BANNED

Likes (Received): 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Blood English Heart View Post
Wow Im surprised with the topography of Chongqing that they can build a subway, I'll be really interested in watching this.
How's the topography of Chongqing?

BTW,don't tell me Chongqing just can not build it while some more mountainous cities like Seoul and HK can do.

Last edited by tiger; June 13th, 2007 at 08:35 PM.
tiger no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old June 13th, 2007, 11:37 PM   #42
Trainman Dave
systems rule!

Likes (Received): 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
How's the topography of Chongqing?

BTW,don't tell me Chongqing just can not build it while some more mountainous cities like Seoul and HK can do.
The Yangtse river (the thick blue line above) is in a deep gorge.
All those lines which cross the river can run deep underground and then pop out of the ground and cross the river on a bridge before disappearing under ground again with out any change in elevation.
Old June 14th, 2007, 01:23 AM   #43
tiger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trainman Dave View Post
The Yangtse river (the thick blue line above) is in a deep gorge.
All those lines which cross the river can run deep underground and then pop out of the ground and cross the river on a bridge before disappearing under ground again with out any change in elevation.
Yeah,that's what I wanted to say.Technically there's no difficulty for that.
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:26 AM   #44
z0rg
fok julle naaiers

Likes (Received): 15754

That would look cool.

But I've wondered quite often about the situation of the stations located at Chongqing's heights. If they are going to construct stations on the top of some hills they should be 100m+ deep :O

More than 300 supertall projects on going in China.
z0rg no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:33 AM   #45
The Cebuano Exultor
Seeking Affiliation

Likes (Received): 21

@ z0rg

Which is wider in terms of urban sprawl...Chengdu or Chongqing?
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:42 AM   #46
macpolo

Likes (Received): 132

im my mind ,chongqing
Old June 14th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #47
tiger
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by z0rg View Post
If they are going to construct stations on the top of some hills they should be 100m+ deep :O
They won't.Hills in Chongqing are usually transformed into parks.
Old June 14th, 2007, 09:06 AM   #48
cal_t
Transport Advocate

Likes (Received): 21

Isn't there a monorail 'metro' type system in CQ?
Old June 14th, 2007, 02:00 PM   #49
greg_christine

Likes (Received): 141

Yes, there is!

greg_christine no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM   #50
tiger
BANNED

Thanks,greg_christine.That's line 2.The subway officially started in the report is line 1.Don't forget line 3 is also under construction.

The total length of subway and monorail of Chongqing is undebatably No. 1 in the western and middle China
Old November 26th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #51
pflo777
BANNED

Likes (Received): 89

are they planning to build the whole public transport network in Chongqing with that monorail, or just that single line?
pflo777 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:14 PM   #52
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

they are planning to build a network of monorails and seeing how the landscape is overthere monorail is best suited for this because its very mountainess
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 07:51 PM   #53
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Seeing as this is an old thread, does anyone know how successful this system is? Considering how they want to build an entire transit network with monorails, this city could become the showpiece for monorails being a true rapid transit solution and dispel all myths of monorails, just as London made subways a viable form of transit (I'm sure running a train underground 150 years ago sounded insane).

As greg_christine pointed out, while light rail is great where it can run away from traffic, in dense urban areas you either have to run it in mixed traffic (slow and dangerous), below ground (expensive), or above ground (larger tracks = eyesore). Monorails in the sky look much nicer than elevated LRT, and in theory are better at servicing dense urban areas than LRT and are cheaper than subways.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM   #54
Songoten2554

Likes (Received): 87

pretty much this city can do what Metros did for london and that was an engineering feat at the time

this city in china can become where Monorail networks are more common and it can make it very unique in that part

Last edited by Songoten2554; November 26th, 2007 at 09:03 PM.
Songoten2554 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2007, 11:52 PM   #55
Electrify

Likes (Received): 5

Here's hoping. The unfortunate reality is that tunneling underground is becoming more costly than it is worth, and while light rail in dedicated corridors is a great form of transit, running through the middle of the road streetcar style is not a practical solution for the long term, and it is generally too bulky to be above ground through dense urban areas.
Electrify no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2007, 04:59 AM   #56
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

First, the Chongqing monorail is quite successful, from what I have seen (I was there in the summer of 2006, just after the extension to Xinshancun opened). It was not as jam-packed as the subways in Beijing and Shanghai, but it was still usually crowded, especially during rush hours.

Second, though some of the other lines Chongqing is planning to build are monorails, most are not. Line 2 is a monorail because it was most practical for its route (along the south bank of the Jialing River, then winding down into the southern suburbs). However, Line 1, currently under construction, is going to be a subway, since it runs more or less down the heart of the Chongqing peninsula - I don't have the technical details, but I assume this means heavy rail of the type used in other Chinese cities. The other planned lines of the metro will probably, similarly, use methods appropriate to their route; for example, I believe that Line 3, which will cross both the Jialing and the Yangtze Rivers as it travels north to south through the city, will be either a monorail or a light rail (it doesn't help that I don't know the distinction between these in Chinese, so it's hard to find online).

For more info on Chongqing, check out its Wikipedia article (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chongqing_Metro). I updated it a few months ago, so it should be reasonably current, though I haven't actually been following Chongqing news recently. As currently planned, the first phase of Line 3 will open in 2010, and Line 1 in 2011. Chaoyangmen to Shapingba by subway - totally awesome! No more hour-long cramped bus rides!
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:02 AM   #57
drunkenmunkey888

Likes (Received): 53

I really don't think monorails should have any kind of stigma attached to them. I mean Chongqing's monorail cars are the same width as a NYC subway car. Once they add enough cars (at least 6, preferably 8), its capacity would approach that of heavy rail subways. I mean looking at the size of Chongqing monorail cars, they can't have smaller capacity than Chicago's El right?

Light rails on the other hand, have too low capacity for a city as dense as Chongqing to rely solely on.
drunkenmunkey888 no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2007, 06:38 AM   #58
ddes

Likes (Received): 913

The Chongqing Monorail uses exactly the same stock as the Tokyo Monorail which is the highest capacity carrying Monorail system in the world.. So generally, if they use this particular stock, it's as good as subway lines.
ddes no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2007, 04:52 AM   #59
Codfish

Likes (Received): 2

Minor update: according to this article (sorry, Chinese only), the average daily ridership on Line 2 is about 100,000 boardings, and the highest it has been was 200,000. So nothing incredibly high, but hey, there's only one line so far - I assume it will get better as they continue to expand.

The article also says that three more lines (Line 1, Line 3, Line 6) will be completed by 2013. Lines 1 and 6 will be subways, Line 3 either a light rail or a monorail (Chinese terminology doesn't differentiate these clearly); these three lines combined will be 82 km long.

By 2020, there will be seven lines in Chongqing: six "normal" lines (extending from downtown into the suburbs) and one ring line.

I've seen info on Lines 1 and 3 before, but I don't know much about Line 6; anyone else?
Codfish no está en línea   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:57 PM   #60
trainrover
:-x

Likes (Received): 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_christine View Post
quite fond of that shot!
trainrover no está en línea   Reply With Quote

Tags
chongqing